Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, forget i said anything.

Curufinwe

Learned
Facehugger, yep. Definitely facehugger. Smoking. After... no, you don't want to know after what. Avatar is from VG cats anyway. If you really want to scar your brain that way.

Vernydar

Learned
B wins over A 9 to 7
Your choice was: Tell him our name, mention Kyoss' father's name (Peter of Tulik), that we were sent by Jacob/Lord Medah to help on the mission, and that we will be acting as Irene's adviser. Be confident, calm, and straightforward. This man probably won't suffer anything but the blunt facts.

63 – Multiple tasks

You decide to tell him your name, you father's name (because he was a soldier, maybe the general knew him?) and that you were sent by Lord Medah to act as Irene's advisor. You try to be confident, calm and straightforward. You want to make a good impression if you can. The general acknowledges your words with a nod, and after Kalz introduces himself you are dismissed. As you follow Irene across the huge courtyard, you cannot help but stare at the castle once again. Even this enormous courtyard is paved, the huge slabs of stone glistening in the morning sun. The courtyard is so big that the entire encampment is comfortably contained within it. And there's still space left. You are not familiar with the stone used to build this fortress anyway, it is grey but unlike any kind of stone you know about. It's glossy and very smooth, almost reflective.

You pass through a huge gateway on the left wall, and find yourself in a courtyard just as big. Your soldiers and civilians are setting camp here. You do notice that this courtyard is different from the other though, there's a few large, low stone buildings here, neatly lined near the center. But Irene didn't order to use them, and instead asked to prepare your tents. You follow Irene into a tent to the side, and she motions for you to sit down.

"Very well, I imagine you will have a lot of questions now. Let's start speaking about this fortress. We know it is thousands of years old, built by the Kingdom of Avarlos at least five thousands years ago. It has been partially used by Eskal from time to time, especially in the seventh century. But it's been at least three hundred years since it was last used."

"At any rate, we think that the enemy's first target will be Bitak. Considering the sightings, and the few traces left, we think our enemy comes from the Zans Peaks. Or, from under them. After all, we have never seen them before, and they are quite pale. Also, considering the very slow buildup of their operations in these last two years, we think they will most likely attack next year, or the year after. "

"This fortress is the perfect place to use as our main army base. First, it's an extraordinary fortress, with a huge amount of space and facilities of every type. Second, it's hidden and we think our enemies do not know of it. Third it's within striking range of both the Zans peaks and Bitak. Three days if moving at a brisk pace."

"Since we think the enemy do not know of this place, as we never saw anything around here, we can also use the surprise effect. If as we think they are going to strike Bitak, we can use the opportunity to strike them while they are sieging. Unless they bring a huge amount of giant centipedes, Bitak will not fall before we can march there and strike at the enemy from behind. And before you ask, be assured that Bitaks is more fortified than it seems. We are moving soldiers there under cover, so that our enemies do not suspect much. Hopefully, this strategy will go well, provided the enemy is not too numerous."

"Anyway, as I was saying, this fortress will be the main army's base, and it could be that the king will move a few thousands men here, depending on what our scouts see. The fortress needs therefore to be secured, prepared and cleaned. And we are part of this effort."

"We have three tasks here, one public, two secret. Our public task is to help with inventories, reports, and making sure the various buildings are stable before they are used. The fortress is a square more or less 800 meters long and wide. It is divided into nine squared courtyards, each one 250 meters wide. The plan is to slowly reclaim the eight external courtyards, and leave the central one alone because we do not need it. So, apart from helping with supplies and inventories, our groups has to explore the other seven unused courtyards, building by building, and make sure they are still stable."

"In truth we have two other secret assignments. The first revolves around possible spies. It is unlikely but not impossible that the enemies have some spies in the army. And some of them could have ended here. Also our supplies could hide some centipedes or they could be scouting through unconventional methods. We are here to make sure that does not happen. Using our public task as a cover, we are to inspect all supplies and tents to make sure there's no centipedes around. Also we will keep our eyes opened for any suspicious behavior or anything else that could lead to compromised security. The way we go about this is up to us, as long as we can safely claim that there's likely no spies and no centipedes here."

"Second, we have to truly explore this place. Certainly we will inspect in detail all the buildings in the external courtyards and all the towers and walls. But our orders are also to inspect the central courtyard. Our reports are rather vague about that courtyard, we do not even know for sure if anyone set foot into that place since Eskal was created. In theory, being a ruin of Avarlos, anything could be there. Most likely that will not be the case as this was a fortress, not a temple or a city. But still, we will try to cautiously explore that place, to know at least whether or not it is safe for the main army to use the fortress. It should be safe, by the way. This place has been used in the centuries past for decades at a time. But the king wants to make sure."

"You might ask why sending us to do this job. The answer is simple, you and me have more knowledge about our enemies than just about any other soldier or retainer of the kingdom. Only the Lords, the court and a few selected individuals know all this, but they are not field operatives. And it is a work that requires caution, intelligence and delicacy. Hopefully we can do this with the people we brought from Bitak, if we need mroe help I'll ask the general. Now, of course our public job must start immediately, and it will have to continue through our entire stay here. We do not want to raise suspicion. But we can choose which other task should be first, and how to allocate our resources. Also, if you have other questions now is the moment to ask them. We have to report to the general tomorrow before starting our job here..."

So Kyoss, what will you do? (There will be another update or two for the details, can't ask everything in ONE update, it's too much. As I said this will be a rather long mission!)
Which secret task do you want to start first?
A) Searching for spies, centipedes and any suspicious event
B) Exploring the castle

And how will you divide your group? Open choice, write down who should work on the public task and who should instead work on the secret tasks

Finally, do you want to ask anything to Irene?

And, maps will come tomorrow.

ScubaV

Prophet
Well since no one else has responded yet, I'll put up a proposal to at least get some ideas flowing.

A - let's root out any spies first to minimize the amount of information they could gain

Division:
Secret task (searching for spies, centipedes) - Kyoss, Irene, spy, cook, hunter, merchant, and 2 of Kalz's men.
Public task (inspection and reports) - Kalz leading everyone else.

That puts 8 people on the secret mission and 23 on the public one. Kyoss, Irene, the spy, and the merchant all have people skills. The hunter and Kalz's men should be able to recognize and calmly deal with any small centipedes (as well as Kyoss and Irene). The cook should be able to pick up rumors and get a general pulse of the community quite easily through his job. And all of these picks should be able to blend in to the camp at large quite well. Plus this plan has Kyoss and Irene working together. :smug: Ideally the secret mission group would be a bit smaller, but I think Kyoss and Irene are essential and none of the others, except the two Kalz soldiers, would be well-suited to building inspection. I chose the two soldiers as we know they can be trusted and they've already had dealings with the centipedes and their handlers.

Questions for Irene: So do you come here often? Let's ask her some about herself. How the general knows her, for example. It's a good starting point to learn some about her mysterious past and to get her to open up to Kyoss a bit.

Monty

Arcane
It's hard to disagree with ScubaV's proposal, makes sense. But I'm also intrigued by the central courtyard. And given that we're faced with an enemy that can burrow underground we can't declare the castle secure until we've thoroughly investigated the central courtyard. Curious that the castle has been safely used for 'decades at a time' yet noone has set foot in the central courtyard since Eskal was founded. I can only assume it is sealed off in some way or there are some superstitious rumours about it which are keeping people away.

Curufinwe

Learned
Most definitely B for me. Paranoia. If we're sieged, the outer walls get breached, we are forced to fall back... I don't want to fall back into a demonic haunt, undead, ancient curses or crap like that. Better to find out beforehand.

Take Kalz and his buddies, the spy, the loremaster, the mason and the miner (both to check for structural damage). Rest on official duty.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A + ScubaV's division

We need to get rid of centipedes and spies first. How come the general hasn't used his troops to explore thee castle?

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
ScubaV

I probably missed it but how long has the general been here? youd think he would of scouted the place out first thing before setting up camp.

++suspicion for general being a centipede

Curufinwe

Learned
ScubaV

I probably missed it but how long has the general been here? youd think he would of scouted the place out first thing before setting up camp.

++suspicion for general being a centipede

No. It's not like that. The fortress has been used several times in our kingdom's history, but the central part has never been explored since nobody basically dared to. Old Avarlos ruin, there are factors we're not aware of. Basically, if you don't HAVE to you don't enter those ruins.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
I wasnt serious about the general being a centipede :P just thought it was peculiar.

I hope theres undead in there though, then we can begin our path to the dark side.
I would like to see how Vernydar would handle the story if Kyoss became a merciless and indiscriminating killler. :)

Vernydar

Learned
I would like to see how Vernydar would handle the story if Kyoss became a merciless and indiscriminating killler. :)

Well if you go that way I hope you have your ass covered. In my setting NPCs will not stupidly turn a blind eye to menaces :roll:

Also known as: "leave the evil overlord alone until he's unstoppable" syndrome. Sorry, not going to happen.

That said, why, you're all very relaxed I must say. You trouble yourself with such... small scale worries.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I wasnt serious about the general being a centipede :P just thought it was peculiar.

I hope theres undead in there though, then we can begin our path to the dark side.
Perhaps Irene will be our Padme. We are the young, naive apprentice and she is the experienced consummate politician older woman who we look up to with admiration... All we need to do is get her killed and boom, instant dark lord via big no.

vader.jpg

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, bros, we gotta survive the guys that'll spring up from inside the keep first. I mean, shit's gonna hit the fan big time here. I'm not sure Medah's alive anymore.

GreyViper

Prophet
A + ScubaV's division Very good suggestion ScubaV:salute:

Monty I think you have a right hunch about central courtyard and about underground, but I suspect it has more to do with legacy of Kingdom of Avarlos.
Two suggestions from my part.
1) Gather more info/rumors about central part.
2) Arrange matters so that you spend more time working together with Irene, but don't make a move on her yet. :cool:

Arpad

Educated
Most definitely B for me. Paranoia. If we're sieged, the outer walls get breached, we are forced to fall back... I don't want to fall back into a demonic haunt, undead, ancient curses or crap like that. Better to find out beforehand.

Take Kalz and his buddies, the spy, the loremaster, the mason and the miner (both to check for structural damage). Rest on official duty.
^That.
Maybe there's additionally something interesting to react or find out about that lump of metal we are lugging around.

Vernydar

Learned
Well, here, the map of the zone now that you know where this fortress is.

Also, updated the general map in the geography post. Since I don't have much free time these days, you won't get the map of the castle today. Also, still searching for a better image hosting site, frankly the general map is way too small as it is

mO97Z.jpg

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
To the north, a broken bridge? Overgrown roads? Mystery Destination?!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
And different color trees? Eyecandy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom