Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
B

TOME

Cuckmaster General
B)

Also, voting again for a visit to the local church.

Visit tavern and listen rumors. Don't get wasted.

Btw. how long can we effectively train one skill per day? Sooner or later our muscles are going to hurt and the training won't be so effective. Maybe train more than one skill at the time?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
How common are mirrors? If we can find one, we should start practising rethorics in front of it.

Vernydar

Learned
There is no stat on the character sheet called willpower.

It could be a hidden stat, or maybe Thomas just has it wrong. You cannot know at this moment.

As such I won't say anything :lol:

Vernydar

Learned
Whoooooops, I realized I forgot to tell you back then that one of your skills had increased. Sorry, I updated the skill but forgot to write it in the lp. It happened back in Strok, but be assured, I kept it in mind while writing.
You have Investigation 1 (Very Basic)

Project: Eternity
For all the discussions about weapons and such it seems pretty one-sided towards 1B. Allow me to add my voice in agreement.

Funny how when you add encumbrance to the picture heavy armor seems much less appealing.

Vernydar

Learned
Funny how when you add encumbrance to the picture heavy armor seems much less appealing.

That is also due to the fact I'm aiming for realistic combat, even though the setting is fantasy. Historically medium and heavy armor were generally relegated to few situations:
1 - War
2 - Static guard posts (and even then, generally medium armor rather than heavy)
3 - Situations where you know you will be in heavy combat and at risk of attacks from behind/ranged weapons (and even then, generally medium armor rather than heavy)

For all the other situations, having more protection generally is not enough to offset the fact you are basically much slower. Medium armor (mostly chain, some plated armor) is not so bad, but still slows you down a lot (it can weigh up to 20 Kg, and is somewhat rigid). Heavy armor (also knows as tin can) is suicide in most cases except full-scale war, with good peace of all the medieval mainstream lore :p
And Kyoss has average strength, so heavy armor is suicide right now, period. You would have trouble just standing. Medium armor you could go for, if you want.

And yes, there's the part where I did admit that against some large monsters only dodging can save you. Face it, a giant centipede weights more than a medium-sized truck. It is slower, but you don't want to try to block it, right?

But still, Kyoss is young, who knows where he'll end up. He may end up completely different from how he is now :) Or just dead :troll:

Also, likely an early update today, because the vote is so one-sided and I have time this afternoon :)

ScubaV

Prophet
Whoooooops, I realized I forgot to tell you back then that one of your skills had increased. Sorry, I updated the skill but forgot to write it in the lp. It happened back in Strok, but be assured, I kept it in mind while writing.

You certainly are modeling a lot of skills. Is there one for wiping our ass? :smug: Seriously though, that must be a lot of work to track skill/attribute point increases every update. :salute:

Vernydar

Learned

You certainly are modeling a lot of skills. Is there one for wiping our ass? :smug: Seriously though, that must be a lot of work to track skill/attribute point increases every update. :salute:

I have an excel spreadsheet with all the relevant numbers :P Would be impossible to keep track without it, especially for attributes. Also, update rather soon :)

Vernydar

Learned
Very well, unanimous vote for 1B. Also, you chose to study for another 10 days or so, before reporting back to Jacob. Once you start training again you will go for dodge. In the shop I will only list the weapons and armor that fit your combat profile right now (Light armor, one-handed balanced weapon (sword, spear, knife) + dodge to avoid hits)

59 – A new choice

You visit the tanner's shop, and have your armor repaired for 30 coppers. Afterwards you browse the goods available here, and notice once again the things you did not buy back then.

Do you want to buy some of these? If so vote for them. Check what you already have in the character sheet if you need.
1) A small leather cap. Protects your head from hits, and not too heavy. The face is uncovered, so you do not lose visibility. 30 coppers.
2) A leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
3) Studded leather pants. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
4) Studded leather gloves. Better protection than normal leather but your hands are less dexterous. 1 silver

Then you decide to visit the blacksmith. There's a lot of weapons here, but you concentrate on the ones you think you will use for now. There are also a few good quality weapons but they cost a lot more.
(Good-quality weapons do some more damage due to better crafting, and are more resistant to breaking. Exceptional and master quality weapons do exist, but you won't find them here. And are often made to order only, for exorbitant prices.)

Do you want to buy some weapons? Vote anything you want to buy. For good-quality weapons, multiply the price by 4. If you already have lower-quality versions of what you buy I will automatically sell them.
  1. Sword, normal length. 6 silvers
  2. Bastard sword. Can be used 2 handed, less parry and slightly more damage than normal sword if used one-handed. 7 silvers
  3. Knife. 40 coppers
  4. Throwing knife. Specifically made for throwing, can also be used in melee if needed. 40 coppers
  5. Short sword. Less damage, less reach than a normal sword. Better in close quarters. 4 silvers
  6. Spear. 1.2 m long. 1 silver
Satisfied with your purchases, you decide to go back to study some more. You will take these ten days to rest...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt 9: Knowledge (Legends and Myths) – The river Volay

The river Volay has a long history of strange events, mysterious disappearances, and deaths. Some say that the river is cursed, other point out that it is the most important river of Eskal and that alone justifies the number of times it appears in stories. Still, it is unquestionable that there are quite a few strange things to it. The river is usually rather calm, but sometimes prone to flash floods, even during the dry season. Fish is incredibly abundant, and much bigger than in any other river of Eskal. Also sometimes big fishes from the sea swim upstream. And then there's the strange sightings of glowing fishes that are sometimes reported during the full moon.
Some say that all these events are linked to the ruins of Avarlos, often considered cursed and dangerous. It is said that Avarlos considered the river Volay to be sacred, and focused most of its religious events around the waters of the river.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These ten days pass without unexpected events. You rest and study, and generally feel more relaxed. Tomorrow you will start your rehabilitation exercises, and you feel ready to get back to work. You also manage to acquire some knowledge in legends and myths, mostly from around Eskal
(You have gained a skill: Knowledge (Legends and Myths) 1 (Very basic))

The climate is starting to get quite hot. Not surprising, after all you're halfway the first month of summer. The construction work for the stone walls proceed feverishly, and you often see patrols arriving and leaving. With some trepidation you go to Lord Medah's mansion and are quickly ushered in. Jacob receives you in his study.

"Oh Kyoss. Are you feeling better now? You did a really good job in the last mission. Keep working like this, young man, and you have a future. Now, if you're here I suppose that you're ready to get back in action, right? Very well, sit down, I have a few things in mind. Let's see..."

"First, you could help me here, I'm currently doing a review of all our expenses. It will take a couple of weeks, and is not particularly urgent, but it still needs to be done"

"Then there's another job here in Bitak that I need someone to do. I'm rather old, so I can't do it. I am dissatisfied with the state of our records about supplies. I am not sure they are correct. I need someone to go around the town, inspect all the warehouses and write it all down in a detailed report. This job is more demanding, and more urgent too. Should take a few weeks"

"Finally, I have something that needs to be done outside the town. We have an installation that we are reactivating, and I want it inspected. I also want an assessment of our supplies there. You'd have to send me back some reports too. I'm not sure how long this would take."

"That is, unless you have something else you want to suggest? If you have outstanding proposals, I'm willing to listen"

So what will Kyoss pick?
A) The expenses review, here with Jacob
B) The detailed report about supplies available in Bitak
C) The inspection and reorganization of the installation outside Bitak
D) Other. If you have an outstanding proposal, write it down

That is also due to the fact I'm aiming for realistic combat, even though the setting is fantasy. Historically medium and heavy armor were generally relegated to few situations:
1 - War
2 - Static guard posts (and even then, generally medium armor rather than heavy)
3 - Situations where you know you will be in heavy combat and at risk of attacks from behind/ranged weapons (and even then, generally medium armor rather than heavy)

For all the other situations, having more protection generally is not enough to offset the fact you are basically much slower. Medium armor (mostly chain, some plated armor) is not so bad, but still slows you down a lot (it can weigh up to 20 Kg, and is somewhat rigid). Heavy armor (also knows as tin can) is suicide in most cases except full-scale war, with good peace of all the medieval mainstream lore :p
And Kyoss has average strength, so heavy armor is suicide right now, period. You would have trouble just standing. Medium armor you could go for, if you want.

And yes, there's the part where I did admit that against some large monsters only dodging can save you. Face it, a giant centipede weights more than a medium-sized truck. It is slower, but you don't want to try to block it, right?
If realism is what your are aiming for, then the armor skill doesn't make much sense. A well made armor will not restrict movement or make its wearer clumsier. The only problem of heavier armor is its weight, and no skill is going to help you with that, only strength will. Instead you should be keeping track of encumbrance and adjust the speed and dodge appropriately. But even a person of average strength should be able to wear something like chainmail effectively. Sure, encumbrance would be significant, but the damage resistance would more then make up for that. Regardless of what various roleplaying system are saying, in any somewhat realistic combat scenario involving the armored but slower fighter and a mobile lightly armored fighter you should be betting on the armored guy.

Sorry about this rant, it's just a pet peeve of my.

You are correct on the usage of armor though - wearing full armor all the time would be like walking around today in full SWAT gear - you are either on a job or expecting trouble. Good armor should also be very, very expensive - definitely out of our price range at this point.

Edit:
As for my vote:
2 - a bastard sword; can still pass as a civilian weapon, but with a little more edge if we need it.
3 - always good to have a backup weapon - unless we already have a knife?

C - finally we can put our outdoor skills to good use.

Clotstein

Augur
If our arm is back in action, then C) [We have to aim towards more "dangerous" or "demanding" missions if we want to quickly gain power and prestige. Kyoss must NOT become a desk jockey].
If our arm is not healed, then B).

As for purchases, nothing for the time being, it's too soon to invest in spear skills, and i imagine it will be rather cumbersome to carry around.

Kz3r0

Arcane
5 Short sword.

3) Studded leather pants.

B) The detailed report about supplies available in Bitak

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom