Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Vernydar

Learned
Sexual magic FTW.:thumbsup:

And this, ladies (really?) and gentlemen, was reply number 1000 to this thread.

Now, assuming you guys are not actually serious about 5) (but only because Irene is not here :lol: ) these are the current proposals

1) Go get your weapons. Put on some extra layers. (Practical clothes though) If the village is under attack by then, join the fighting. If it is not, head to the Mayors house. It might be worth telling the townsfolk along the way to stay inside as well. Calmly, ofc. Express interest in the supernatural phenomena.
2) I think we should run like hell for the manor and start a fire. There is no telling how fast and how far the temperature will drop and the manor is probably the best built lodging in the village. Freezing to death would be pretty anticlimatic. Not sure weapons will be any use but, if push come to shove, I think we can scrounge up a sword in the manor as well.
3) Go and arm yourself, put on some armor, and go get the soldiers. Have ten come with you to the manor, and the rest to keep order in the village and restrain the horses if they can.
4) Go to the lord straight away, they need to be accurately informed asap by a non-hysterical person. I doubt anyone else has the presence of mind to do so.

And this is the current tally (just to help me keep track)
1) hoodoo, Monty, ScubaV, Tome
2) Curufinwe, m4davis, Kz3r0 (your proposal is basically the same as Curufinwe as far as I can see)
3) Baltika9, GreyViper
4) Smashing axe

Baltika9

Arcane
Vernydar, are the soldier actually obligated to follow our orders? or will our words be like a fart in the wind, only less productive?

Vernydar

Learned
Vernydar, are the soldier actually obligated to follow our orders? or will our words be like a fart in the wind, only less productive?

Well, they are not obligated but they know by now that you work for the lord. They will at least listen to you. They do not HAVE to obey you, but listen to you, yes.

Vernydar

Learned
Well, as it is now we have
1) 4 votes
2) 4 votes
3) 2 votes
4) 2 votes

I could combine, due to the same first step, 1 with 3 and 2 with 4, but that would still be 6 votes against 6. Going to wait a couple of hours, see if we have more votes

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
1) Go get your weapons. Put on some extra layers. (Practical clothes though) If the village is under attack by then, join the fighting. If it is not, head to the Mayors house. It might be worth telling the townsfolk along the way to stay inside as well. Calmly, ofc. Express interest in the supernatural phenomena.

Vernydar

Learned
Very well, with these 2 votes 8 people want to go and get armed and dressed first. Of these, 5 want to go to the manr afterwards. Since the other 6 people wanted to go to the manor immediately, your plan will be
1 - Go get your weapons and dress yourself
2 - Go to the manor to see the lord/lit a fire depending on the situation

Off to write the update

Vernydar

Learned
49 – An unexpected sound

You decide you should get equipped first. After that, the best course of action is reporting to the lord. That is, if the temperature is not dropping too much, in which case you'll still want to go to the manor, which is the warmest place in this village. And, unless someone attacks the village...

Your course set, you start to make your way to your lodging fast. But you want to try to calm down the villagers along the way as well. And so you decide to walk fast instead of running, and tell everyone you meet to go somewhere warm, and if possible safe. Most do not listen to you, but a few do and leave in a slightly more orderly fashion.

The sun is getting dimmer yet, and the temperature keeps dropping. Just a few minutes ago, it was a warm, bright morning spring. Right now it's like a rather cold autumn evening. You wonder what is going to happen here, but you try to stay calm in order to avoid spreading panic. You also meet a patrol of soldiers who seems completely disoriented. Hoping they will listen to you, you give them an order, telling them to help the villagers to some warm place. They are so confused that they seem grateful for the order actually. While you move away you see them ushering a few people into a nearby administration building.

The sky above you is now taking a slightly violet hue. It's almost like the sky just after the sunset... only the sun is still high in the sky. But it is so dim, so pale. You don't think you've ever been so afraid in your life before. As you reach the building where your lodging is, you feel cold deep within. Only part of this is due to the icy temperature....

Once inside, you do not have to pretend anymore. You run up the stairs, reach your room and quickly get in. You throw a quick glace to your desk where your books are, and notice that the water in your glass is starting to freeze... You hastily move to the cupboard and retrieve your heavy clothes. Luckily you did unpack most of your belongings earlier, and so they're here, ready to be worn. You quickly change into them and immediately feel better.

You throw a glance outside. It's almost as dark as night right now. A cacophony of noises still fill the air outside. You guess many people are disoriented, confused and panicked, not to mention the crazed animals. You don't have time to lose, you must wear your armor, grab your weapons and report to the lord's manor.

You grab your leather armor in the corner and don it as fast as you can. It's not perfect but you can adjust it later, while running or when you reach the lord's manor. You move besides the table in order to grab your sword.

It is then you realize there's a... sound in the room. You actually heard it before, but dismissed it as something coming from outside, since it was half drowned by the noise. But no, you realize it's coming from the room. A hissing sounds... where is it coming from? You lower your gaze, it's coming from just below the table!

You dive quickly, roll to the side and stop a few meters from the table, your sword drawn. You have no idea how you managed that without cutting yourself, but right now you're damn happy you did. You peer under your table... but it's so dark now, you can't see anything. You listen closely and realize just how regular this noise is. What kind of beast could make such a sound?

You grope in the dark for a torch, you know there's one in the corner near the door. You fumble with the flint and steel in your pocket, trying to ignite it, while your heart beats impossibly fast. You're being too slow, there's something there, you must be quick---

At last you manage to lit the torch, and the warm flame pushes back the darkness in the room. The sound is still going on, unchanged. You grab your sword and slowly advance in order to get a better look under the table. You realize with a start that there's only your backpack is there. The sound is coming from your backpack! It's a hissing sound... now that you're closer, you think it resembles very much the sound of hot metal being doused in water.... What could be the cause of all this?

What are you going to do Kyoss?
Another open choice, too many variables. As always, I will answer questions when I see them, if you have some.

Keep in mind that after this, unless you change decision or something happens, you would go to the lord's manor

Baltika9

Arcane
1. Poke, then touch, that piece of metal we've been carrying around. If it doesn't hurt or harm you, take it in your hands. if it does, bring it to the lord's manor in your knapsack.
Time to learn how to be a Dwaggin.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
1) Look in the backpack. Search for the source of the sound (I am guessing it might be that metal object from so long ago). If it is safe to move, take it with us to the manor. If it is dangerous, run.

Do what Baltika said.

ScubaV

Prophet
It would appear that "An irregular scrap of dark metal, covered in a flaky substance" is having some kind of reaction to the conditions going on. I'm not really sure what to do about it though. I suppose we could try to grab it and take it with us to the manor house. I believe it's already wrapped in a cloth correct? If not, wrap it in something and take it with.

Uh, I guess I'll make this choice 1. I'm certainly willing to flop if anyone has better ideas.

Edit: Basically the same thing as above.

Baltika9

Arcane
We'll probably end up making a sword out of it, but I'd rather it make us a dwaggin.
Can we be a dwaggin, Vernydar?

I want to be a dwaggin.

Vernydar

Learned
Please note, that thing is right now wrapped by cloth. Supposing it is the source of the sound,if you want to " Poke, then touch, that piece of metal we've been carrying around." you have to unwrap it or empty the backpack.

Of course there could be many other things you want to do...

Monty

Arcane
2) Check if it is giving off heat through the cloth. If not, unwrap and proceed with (1) above. If it is, then carefully unwrap and examine to see if it has changed in any way, and try to ascertain what has happened to it. If we can't see anything obvious then wrap it again (ie don't risk touching it), place it in the rucksack and proceed with it to the manor and see what is happening outside.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
How about instead we empty our backpack in a defensive manner, in case someone slipped a centipede or something else in there. I'm essentially in favour of 1, but more defensive about other possibilities other than the metal shard. Also, don't tell the lord about the shard, don't tell anyone. Our parents wanted to keep it secret, and until we know their reasons for why, (ie, we need to read that fairy-tale book asap) we shouldn't let anyone else know that we have it.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
How about instead we empty our backpack in a defensive manner, in case someone slipped a centipede or something else in there. I'm essentially in favour of 1, but more defensive about other possibilities other than the metal shard. Also, don't tell the lord about the shard, don't tell anyone. Our parents wanted to keep it secret, and until we know their reasons for why, (ie, we need to read that fairy-tale book asap) we shouldn't let anyone else know that we have it.
This.

Curufinwe

Learned

Very sensible suggestion: I agree as well. It's 99.9% the shard and nothing else, but if we start taking unnecessary risks it will eventually come back biting us in the ass. Completely agree on keeping utterly silent about the shard with everyone, it's clearly something very, very secret.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Should I put a number on that? I don't like numbering very similar options. Er, in case it's necessary. Let's call it option #3

TOME

Cuckmaster General

Maybe we should chance the book we are reading. It doen't matter if we know how to talk when we don't know what to say.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately the fairy-tale book was left back at our room in Medah's estate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom