Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Bloodshifter

Educated
1. You should investigate it, it's a rare opportunity. It will take mostly a day or two.

A) The caravan should go on towards Bitak. There's even less chances of an ambush now, better take this chance

Y) Do not send a letter, such information should not be written down where others can read it. You'll tell him personally later on

1. Travel towards Nokos as planned

c) You remember the fairy tales you were told as a child! Surely wizards and witches exist, and one of them did this!
Me thoughts exactly

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1. You should investigate it, it's a rare opportunity. It will take mostly a day or two.

A) The caravan should go on towards Bitak. There's even less chances of an ambush now, better take this chance

Y) Do not send a letter, such information should not be written down where others can read it. You'll tell him personally later on

1. Travel towards Nokos as planned

c) You remember the fairy tales you were told as a child! Surely wizards and witches exist, and one of them did this!

Agreeing with Kr3r0 and Bloodshifter, although I'm tempted to send a letter. Let's sketch the tattoos of the centipede talker.

It's sad that we didn't take the book on fairy tales/myths with us. Did we gain any skills from our activities in the last city? Vernydar?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Take a piece of the armour and/or sketch the design, if it's unique enough to bother.

Oh... and scavenge! If there's good armour we can use, it'd be a shame to let it go to waste.

Vernydar

Learned
It's sad that we didn't take the book on fairy tales/myths with us. Did we gain any skills from our activities in the last city? Vernydar?

Hmm I did not explain very well how skill learning works, right? I think I can tell you guys without it influencing the LP. It's rather straightforward actually. I put in the game a lot of skills. Like, a lot of skills. A LOT of skills XD. More than a hundred for now in fact....

Each skill has a... "experience gauge" so to speak, and when you use it in a choice, study it, practice it, or use it "offscreen" in some prolonged way (like for example walking through the woods for week with the Survival in the Woods skill, like you did in the fist updates), you gain "experience points" in that skill. When you reach a certain amount of experience points, your skill level increases. For example, 0 is unskilled, if you reach 100 experience points in a skill, you gain skill level 1 (very basic competence).

Each skill starts at skill level 0 (Unskilled), and skill level 10 is master level. Each skill level is harder to get (read: requires more experience points than the one before). 10 is not the maximum actually, your skill level can go above it, but each level after 10 is a HUGE accomplishment. You're basically hitting the limits of human capabilities. For example, I can tell you that going from skill level 10 to skill level 11 requires MORE skill points than from level 0 to level 10.

That said, just about EVERYTHING you do in the LP gains some experience points towards a skill or another, especially if the skill has a low skill level. Be it merchant, reading, diplomacy, interrogation, investigation, heck, even running. But you will not see every experience point gain mentioned, just when a skill level increases.

Rest assured though, I track everything you do, and every experience point you gain

oscar

Arcane
That said, just about EVERYTHING you do in the LP gains some experience points towards a skill or another, especially if the skill has a low skill level. Be it merchant, reading, diplomacy, interrogation, investigation, heck, even running. But you will not see every experience point gain mentioned, just when a skill level increases.

Rest assured though, I track everything you do, and every experience point you gain

:salute:

Vernydar

Learned
Very well I'm closing the vote
First choice was the only one closely contested. 1 beats 3 8 votes to 7.
Second choice, unanimous vote for A
Third choice, W gets 10 votes out of 15
Fourth choice, unanimous vote for I
Last choice, c beats e 11 to 4 votes

So, It's going to be 1AWIc. I thought some choices would be more contested, but you chose differently.

Off to write the update I go.

Oh just for your information, linked to what I posted earlier today. A couple of skills are actually pretty close to gaining a skill level :)

Vernydar

Learned
46 – The road to Nokos

You suggest Kalz to stop and investigate this clearing. It's a rare opportunity and maybe you can gain some useful information on these people. Who knows when you'll be able to do it again! He thinks a bit and agrees with you, but states that the caravan should probably not stop here to wait for you. To that you consent quickly. With this group eliminated, chances are the caravan can actually make it to Bitak without any ambush. As such they should leave as soon as possible and set a brisk pace, while having a few more scouts in all directions in order to minimize risks.

As the caravan leaves, you set out to find as many clues as possible from this place. The investigation is actually rather short, after a day you are quite sure you found everything there is to find. There were twelve men, an equal number of horses, a giant centipede and eight smaller centipedes of various sizes. The men do not possess anything that might give you clues regarding their place of origin. Nor their culture. But you do find a few things that make you think this time was likely well spent.

You gather a few of their weapons, and pieces of armors. They are different from yours, and Kalz assures you that studying them might prove beneficial to your military if a war breaks out. It helps to know how the enemy is equipped after all. Also, you carefully copy the tattoos on the face of the pale man, because they might have some significance. More cultured people than you could make something of them. And finally you get your hands on a couple of those small bottles full of some sort of oil that were used at Qoor. This substance might be worthy studying, though once again you're not really the person for this at the moment.

With your investigation concluded, you prepare to depart for Nokos, where you will continue with your tasks. You and Kalz briefly considered whether or not to head directly for Bitak to talk to Jacob and Lord Medah, but you do have a mission to accomplish. You will write a letter to Jacob, explaining in detail everything that happened here, and that will be enough. If they want to hear from you directly, they will either wait for you to finish your task, or send for you earlier. But as things are now, you have a mission, and so to Nokos it is.

You write a long, detailed letter, and then give it to one of Kalz's men. He's also going to carry the weapons, the pieces of armor, the copy of the tattoos and the oil bottles. He salutes Kalz and leaves, riding fast towards Bitak. You instead sets out towards Nokos, and to whatever awaits for you there.

During the travel you think about what you saw in that clearing. Who or what could have killed those people? The more you think about it, the less you believe it to be the work of chance, or a natural event. And you're certainly not a very religious person. You consider the possibilities, and remember the stories you heard as a child, about witches and wizards. Even though a part of you scoffs at the notion, and think it's childish of you, after some pondering you conclude that as unlikely as it seems, those old stories might be right. Why they would help you though, you can't imagine. Maybe they're doing it all for their own agenda, or maybe they are "benevolent". But, as it is, only time will tell. For now you only know that what you saw is clearly supernatural in nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excerpt 5: Etiquette – Saluting your superiors

... and it is most important to correctly salute nobles in times of war.
A few men might find this an unnecessary display of discipline, only good for official events in times of peace. But it is not so. The salute should always be done with your right hand, and with your back straight. There is a very important reason for this.
It dates back to the war between Eskal and Werag, about three hundred years ago. The small Kingdom of Eskal had no chance against the much larger and powerful Werag. But after bloody, unfavorable battles white peace was signed, thanks to the negligence on the Werag army. Our king sent an assassin to eliminate the greatest Werag general. The mission was a success because the Werag army had horrible discipline. Our assassin, ignorant of the Werag military customs, was still able to reach the general and complete his mission.
While not the most glorious event in our kingdom's history, a valuable lesson can be learned here. An undisciplined force is not only less effective, but also easier to infiltrate. As such, one should always keep the proper discipline....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this, you complete the study of the book of etiquette you bought. You can still use it as reference if needs be, but there's nothing more to learn there for you. You'd need a more advanced book, an instructor, and/or some practice
(You skill has increased to: Etiquette 2 (Basic) )

What are you going to study now?
1) Book about the art of healing
2) Book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them
3) Book about the art of eloquence
4) Book with the History of Eskal

It takes three days to reach Nokos, the journey mercifully calm after so much excitement. As you reach the fringes of the big farming community, you can see how different from Strok and Bitak this place is. There are rather large fields in all directions, and the houses are mostly big farms. It resembles a bit your village, only on a much bigger scale. After all, almost 500 people inhabit Nokos, most of them farmers. You objective here is to secure a rather large shipment of provisions for bitak, mostly food. And to hire some more men for the construction works.

You are quickly introduced to the lord, who greets you warmly and assigns you some large, clean and... unremarkable lodgings. You spend the rest of the day familiarizing with the village and cannot avoid noticing how... dull it is. Not a single tavern, inn, anything really. Just farms, and more farms, a few buildings for food production, a mill and a few granaries, and a couple of buildings for the administration. And nothing else. You also notice how defenseless this place is. No walls, no palisades, nothing. Few soldiers too. In light of recent events, you feel a bit disturbed by this.

So, the place is dull, boring, empty. Apart from your work, what do you plan to do in your free time here Kyoss?
A) Practice the sword some more with Kalz's men. Might as well use the time in a profitable way
B) Study your books some more. Might as well use the time in a profitable way
C) The place might be dull, but pass your time with Kalz and his men. You can befriend them.
D) Other. Make a proposal, put a letter on it.

ScubaV

Prophet
3A - the path of a noble

Vernydar, if it's not too metagamey to ask, how do we increase our attributes? I assume they're somewhat like skills in that they improve through use, but probably much slower.

Baltika9

Arcane
3) Time to use that silver tongue to get in someone pants, if you know what I'm saying.
A) Just in case tshtf soon, we must parctice.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Hey, it's a forest kingdom; there's bound to be at least a few druids with access to Call Lightning, right?

Those who don't know history, are doomed to not recognize past threats when they re-emerge :)

4A

Vernydar

Learned
3A - the path of a noble

Vernydar, if it's not too metagamey to ask, how do we increase our attributes? I assume they're somewhat like skills in that they improve through use, but probably much slower.

It is exactly like that. They also have an "experience gauge" that slowly fills up as time passes and you use them, and train related skills.

Just a few examples here.
You practice swimming a lot? Know that apart from increasing the skill itself, you're also gaining a few experience points in constitution and strength.
All that walking you did in the first updates, when you went on foot from your home to Bitak, did give you a few experience points in constitution already.
Working on your sword skills? That increases strength and dexterity a bit.
What if you read many books and improve your reading, history, and mathematics skills? That would give you a few experience points in intelligence.

So yes, you already got a few points. In all four attributes, as a matter of fact. But attributes increase slowly. You won't see them go up soon, unless a few updates ends up covering many months in which you train seriously, and do nothing else. Frankly I do not know if that is advisable :P Remember, the world IS moving even if you do not.

Tomorrow if I have time I will put these information and the one about the skills I posted earlier in the mechanics post at the start of the thread

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1B

Willing to flop the first one if 3 is winning.

Monty

Arcane
I agree with CappenVarra, but also wish we had the book of myths and legends with us. Especially given what we've seen recently

4A

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron

D -Considering all the events that have happened so far, I think we should not fall into the seductive grasp of training and instead start investigating the village for signs of centipede guys. To accomplish this, I think we should first start questioning the peasantry about anything odd happening in and around town, then move on to scouting the surrounding area, look for any earth disturbances where a centipede might have passed.

Let's not be caught unaware again guys, I think we had an opportunity to understand the conflict between the merchant and the carpenter before the riot, but missed it to instead spend our time drinking in the tavern.

Arpad

Educated
3D, what Axe said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom