Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

TOME

Cuckmaster General

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, vote closed. I gave 3 points to every first choice, 2 to every second choice and 1 to every third choice. Final results were

5) 34 points
1) 22 points
2) 20 points
3) and 4) very far behind

So, 5-1-2 it is. Off to write the update I go

Vernydar

Learned
So, as written in the post above, 5-1-2 it is. Or so you do suggest... :)

40 – A difficult choice

You suggest to discover more about the poisonous insect, and then to explore the small room below the trapdoor. Only after that you should question the merchant, so that you can actually have some things to ask him.

Lord Tilash partially agrees with you. He does concede that the first thing should be investigating the insect, but he reserves the right to decide whether or not to risk his men in that room after he knows more. Maybe he'll choose to question the merchant first. For now, he puts a few trusted soldiers near the trapdoor, and has a blacksmith bring a slab of metal with which to cover it. That way nothing should be able to get out of that place, while you gather more information.

You are sent with one of his retainers to get the old healer that inspected the body before, and then you head to the house of the merchant. Entering it, you are immediately surprised by the chaos that reigns here. It seems apparent that the merchant was packing up quickly, but maybe he was planning to flee regardless...

Together with the old healer, you get close to the squashed insect and try to make out something about it. It is small, black, slender. It seems a centipede, or something similar. Unbidden, the memory of the giant, black centipede you saw at the village of Qoor emerges. You wonder, could this centipede be linked to that? If so you have a real problem on your hands....

You search the house for an hour or so, while the old man goes back to his house to get some books he has on poisons. You do not find anything interesting though, apart from some more hints pointing towards the fact that the merchant was planning to flee all along. In a corner you find a lot of preserved rations, and under a bed there's a backpack full of documents. At first glance, they all seem to be documents of the merchant's guild, but it will take many hours to read them all. You ask a couple of soldiers to bring them back to the guild, so they can be studied later on. In the meanwhile the old man got back with his books.

For the next two hours you two comb the books for clues regarding this black, poisonous centipede. However you find nothing at all. The old man is really surprised about this, he tells you that his books come from the capital and are very complete and accurate. Which makes the entire situation even more strange, how could this man have acquired such a rare poisonous insect? And why? The old healer tells you that there are deadly, poisonous insects that are quite notorious, and are sometimes used in assassinations. They are well known, and certainly easier to find than some unknown insect not even mentioned in his books.

Even supposing this man had reasons to kill Herzil, why resort to such an unusual method? And where did the insect come from? Once again you think of Qoor... Could this situation really be linked to those men and their huge centipede? Should you even tell Lord Tilash? Lord Medah did not explicitly tell you to keep quiet about this, but was it something so obvious to him that he did not mention it? And would Lord Tilash even believe you?

While you ponder this, you return to the merchant's guild. Lord Tilash has started to interrogate the senior merchant in the meanwhile, but for now he hasn't resorted to... harsh methods. He immediately asks that you report the situation, and seems quite disturbed by your news. Kalz is also there, but only for a few minutes. He tells you that he's working hard to salvage the caravan, but the entire situation will have consequences on the schedule. Then he leaves once again, and from the look on his face, you really don't envy him, it must be a mess out there.

Finally the lord speaks:
"I don't like this. An unknown, poisonous insect. This seems a lot more than a simple, local quarrel. Even just acquiring such a thing.... And those documents, what was in there? To be honest I don't feel much like sending my men down there to face the unknown while I can still question this man first. And where are the soldiers that went to chase the carpenter? Why are they still not back? The man was on foot! I really don't like this, has something happened to them?"

It is time to act. You must make a choice here, your suggestions and knowledge could be important.

Will you tell Lord Tilash about the matters at Qoor, regarding the foreign soldiers and their giant, black centipede?
1) Yes
2) No

And apart from that, what shall you suggest, Kyoss?
A) Suggest to question the merchant before going inside the room.
B) Suggest to question the merchant before going inside the room, and ask to be put in charge. Try to use a psychological approach.
C) Suggest to question the merchant before going inside the room, and ask to be put in charge. No mercy, you will make him talk through violence
D) Suggest to explore the room below first, but send in soldiers.
E) Suggest to explore the room below first, be amongst the ones going down.
F) Other. Make any suggestion you want, put a letter on it.

It didn't turn out exactly as you thought it would. The lord became wary because of what you learned, and so here's another choice available :)

Clotstein

Augur
2_ Do we really want to risk Medah deeming us unreliable on account of not being discrete? He seems like a more convenient patron than Tilash to aid our quest for glory.
B_ No comment here.

PS: Yes i fucking registered to post in this LP after lurking for about a year or two.

Bloodshifter

Educated
1C this is a merchant he is most likely easier to crumble from violence then "mind" games

in case anyone wishes here is an "alternate"

2F-1 (the F-1 is my new choice)
We think that the Official is linked to the Centipede so we confront the man saying we Know he has connections to the
mysterious men back at Qoor and that we are willing to hide his "connection" to them IF he spills the beans and tells us
what's inside the trapdoor, how he was contracted to kill the Merchant, and who is assisting him if he fails to comply or simply
knows too little (a pawn in a bigger game) let the lord know about Qoor and that the Official is mostly likely dealing with them

But if he does crack we move to the lord and tell him the Official is talking withholding the Qoor information for the moment. seeing as we lose
nothing in keeping the information back seeing as we told our current employer about it and he decided not to warn anyone else
once the Official is sentenced and hauled off we *remembered*(why are we now remembering now? it is a very traumatic experience{A good a lie as any}) about the Qoor incident and tell Lord Tilash about it.

yes its long but it covers most normal routes and requires very little conditions

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Consider that the man who was "murdered" knew about the dead body stored in the trapdoor and was growing these centipedes for some nefarious purpose and the merchant in custody was his co-conspirator who slashed his throat to hide evidence of the poisoning. There's still a flaw in this, as it doesn't explain the connection with the carpenter, why they would do it in their office or who the dead man is.

1A, I don't think it's appropriate that we lead the questioning. The Lord may be better at it, he seems quite competent.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1. He is a lord after all.
E Since last time I voted to explore the room before questioning.

Zwist

Learned
2. Either he knows already or he was not meant to.

And G, Try psychological first. Then put him on the end of a rope and slowly let him down the hatch. Lets see if he remembers something new.
Also, we risk fewer lives that way.

Vernydar

Learned
First choice, 2) wins over 1) 8 to 6 votes. Seconds choice, B wins with 6 votes. Second place was E with 3 votes.

41 – An interrogation and a treasury

You agree with Lord Tilash that questioning the senior merchant before risking people in that room would probably be for the best. Also, you ask if you could be in charge of the interrogation. You do admit that you don't have experience, but you would like to try your hand at it. The lord looks at you for a second, then he agrees as long as he is still watching from the sidelines.

You think carefully whether or not to tell Lord Tilash of the matters of Qoor, then decide against it. Considering how close Strok is to Bitak, you reason that if he doesn't already know it means that Lord Medah did not want him to know. And you will not be the one to change that, unless the situation becomes critical.

And so, after a few minutes, you find yourself sitting right in front of the senior merchant in a small room. The man is tied to his chair and a soldier is standing guard beside him just in case. To the side sit Lord Tilash and a couple of his advisors, but you will be the one mostly in charge of asking questions.

You try to think of a good approach, and decide you should try to keep it psychological. There is always time to turn violent if need be, but once you start torturing someone you can't go back and try to be nice. Besides this old man looks like he would permanently break under violence, better keep it as a last resort. You must also admit that you're not sure at the moment you could be capable of torturing someone...

And so you start askign questions. The merchant immediately proclaims himself innocent, but you don't let him blabber. You start small, by asking him to tell you his recollections of the day.

"There's not really much to tell. I woke up, had breakfast and went to my work at the guild. Had lunch with some colleagues, went back to my post and worked there all the afternoon, then I heard screaming. I would never have imagined that the secretary would murder Herzil!"

You ask him why he was planning to leave the village, and where he acquired such a poisonous insect. And why didn't he let himself be taken in peacefully and killed a guardsman instead.

"I was not planning to leave before! I was just scared that the secretary would try to blame me and so I went back home and started preparing just in case! As for the insect, I bought it from a traveling merchant. I wanted to make a trapped safe in my home, but when the guardsmen came inside I was afraid and threw it by instinct."

And now that he said this, you can conveniently trap him. You point out that he had a lot of rations in his house, and that proves he was planning to leave from before the murder. And also you remark what a big coincidence it is, that the insect he bought would be of the same specie of the one that killed Herzil. He pales terribly at this, and you realize he didn't think you noticed that Herzil died of poisoning. You tell him that he's going to hang for this, the leave him in the room to stew a bit.

Lord Tilash follows you and good-naturedly tells you that you're quite inexperienced at this. You seem to have the right ideas, but you're lucky to be facing such an unprepared person. But since it's not going badly, he'll let you continue. He can always take over later on if needed, for now he tells you to just go and get some experience.

You go back inside after some minutes, and try to stress out that as things are he will hang, or maybe.. that he might end up like his accomplice. He seems lost, and so you tell him of the man with the torn chest in the treasury room. You take particular care in describing him all the gory details, and see that he's white as a sheet. You decide to try you luck in order to give him the final push. You have no idea if Lord Tilash will follow through with this, but you tell the merchant that he should just confess and collaborate, and appeal to the lord to sentence him to forced labor instead of a summary execution....

And this finally does it. The man seems to hesitate, then trembles, and finally agrees to talk.

"All right, I.. will talk. It's true that I had a part in this but.. I'm not the murderer. It all started about a week ago. The carpenters guild and the merchants guild never agree on anything, and so I was surprised when the head of their guild wanted to meet me. I was hesitant, but decided to go and talk at least. He told me he wanted something and for that, he would reward me greatly. He told me he knew very well that I was embezzling funds from the guild, but that he would ... overlook it and in fact reward me if I went along with him."

The man wets his lips and asks for something to drink. Then he slowly resumes speaking.

"He wanted.. something. He wanted to be rid of Herzil, stating he was a great bother, and he also wanted some documents. I don't know how, but he knew that some documents would arrive with the Royal Courier Service, and he wanted them. So, in exchange for my help in killing Herzil and obtaining the documents, he would support me so I would be the next head of the merchant guild. And afterwards we would make business together, and grow even richer than before.
My part in the plan was simple. I needed to find a way for one of his men to get close to Herzil the day the documents were delivered. That man would kill Herzil and steal the documents."

The man asks for some more water. You notice how much he's sweating right now, his face is flustered.

"And so I stole the key to the treasury from Herzil, and had a copy made before putting it back. I gave him the key yesterday when I met him for the last time. I told him I would make a diversion for the man to enter this morning, and another tomorrow or the day after for him to leave. And he smiled, and gave me the insect, telling me to use it only if absolutely necessary. I... was disturbed by this, I though he would use a blade. After that there's not much to say. This morning I had his man enter so that he could hide in the treasury and tomorrow I should have let him out... is that man really dead? How? Why? ...."

He seems to grow more and more panicked, and the lord says it should be enough for now. You leave the room and think about what was told to you. If the merchant is not lying, the man in the treasury is the one who assassinated Herzil, and the carpenter was the one that ordered the murder. And the reasons... seems to be the documents, and that Herzil was in the way. What was in those documents ? Still, there is no explanation for the dismembered man in the treasury.

Lord Tilash speaks at last. "I think it's time to explore that room. We're missing something here and we have to find it. And no Kyoss, you won't be going down there until it's safe. Leave it to the experts for now."

You go back in the study and see that a few soldiers are preparing themselves. They are wearing leather armor to be mobile, plus helmets, gloves, and in general clothes in order to cover up any exposed skin. You do not envy the first man that will go down there....

After the preparations are complete, a few lanterns are lowered in the treasury. That way the room will be brightly lit and the soldiers will have their hands free. You tremble in trepidation as the first man descends. He steps down and slowly, carefully looks around. Then he assures that no insects are in sight, and a couple of other soldiers follow him. Trying to keep watch of everything, they slowly set about to secure the rest of the small room. After a few seconds, one of then gives a surprised cry.

"My lord, there's a huge.. hole here! It's some sort of .. tunnel? It must be at least 2 meters wide! The stone floor has been completely torn off. And .. ugh.. what is this horrible smell! I don't know how long it is my lord, what should we do? There does not seem to be any centipedes in the room at least"

A wide tunnel. A horrible smell. Someone, someTHING capable of wrecking a stone floor. Small, poisonous, black centipedes. A half-devoured body. You can't stop thinking of the giant centipede and foreign men. Could it really be....?

If so... should you tell Lord Tilash? There could be many lives at stake here if you are correct
  • Yes
  • No

Should the tunnel be explored?
  1. No
  2. Yes, send soldiers
  3. Yes, go with the soldiers
  4. Other. Make a proposal, put a number on it
And.. what should you be doing now (If you do not go and explore with the soldiers of course)?
A) Go down there, explore the room, inspect the cadaver
B) Go back to questioning the merchant and the secretary
C) Go and search the secretary's and the merchant's houses
D) Lay low for now. You have done enough
E) Other. Make a proposal, put a letter on it

There it is, another long one. A general observation. Remember, Kyoss will not change personality traits unless you do so through your choices. Just saying.
Also, I just realized. I have been using metric system measurements. I hope everyone is comfortable enough with them.

Collage

Educated
I have a proposal for Question 2: Instead of sending soldiers into a potential giant-murderous-centipede lair, why not post a round-the-clock watch on the hole to make sure nothing comes out? If necessary, maybe pour something flammable down the hole in case things get deadly - just drop a torch down there and get the hell out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom