Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Renegen

Arcane

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
6 - Survival
12 - Orienteering
14 - Cooking
15 - Literacy
17 - First Aid
18 - Herbs

6, 12, 14 and 18 for the first weeks or months of our travel and 15+17 for our next step to our prestigious journey.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
3) The bow. A strictly ranged weapon, most often used outdoor. Strike from afar before enemies get close to you. If they do get close to you, you have a serious problem. Also, the bow is very good for hunting...
10) Hunting. The ability to actively hunt animals. Allows you to go after big preys, not only small animals and plants like the survival skill does.
12) Orienteering. The ability to find you way through confusing places with few landmarks, like thick forests. Allows you to know where the north is.
14) Cooking. The ability to cook dishes that are tasteful. But more importantly, the ability to treat meat, vegetable and fish in order to make it edible. This allows you for example to recognize which parts of animals, fishes and such you should NOT eat.
17) First Aid. The ability to treat unhealthy people. Works well on injuries, diseases, food poisoning.
18) Knowledge of herbs. A comprehensive knowledge of herbs. Herbs that can be used to treat injuries, poisons, diseases. Herbs that can be used to cook or for tanning and dyeing, and other things as well. (note: this skill is related to where you are. If you move to a different climate, there would be different herbs...)

Basically, anything you'll need to survive on your own... kinda bummed I didn't manage to squeeze survival in there. Tracking was appealing too.

newcomer

Learned
5-7-12-14-17

For the last choice, still flip-flopping between 2 & 4. I guess I'll go for 2 right now unless someone can give good arguments on how an alert guy can be easily disarmed / have difficulty hiding a knife. Well he can still forget it due to carelessness but still, how is a guy whose physical training is average at best can fully utilize 4?

Kz3r0

Arcane
1) The sword.
6) Survival in the woods.
12) Orienteering.
14) Cooking.
15) Literacy.
118) Knowledge of herbs.

For a start, handling ourselves and basic survival makes sense. And he's going to the city - by road - so I assume wilderness survivalism won't be too much of a necessity.
I also hope not taking Orienteering won't mean he'll suffer from complete spacial-awareness retardation and can maintain some sense of direction?

Vernydar

Learned
For a start, handling ourselves and basic survival makes sense. And he's going to the city - by road - so I assume wilderness survivalism won't be too much of a necessity.
I also hope not taking Orienteering won't mean he'll suffer from complete spacial-awareness retardation and can maintain some sense of direction?

Just posting to clarify here. Later on I'll add a bit of info to the setting. It's a 20 days march to the nearest big village. The entire kingdom is mostly forest, and the "road" is more of a cart path. This does not mean of course that survival or orienteering is needed as long as you stay on the cart path, but you're basically in the most out of the way corner of the kingdom.

Unfortunately you have no reason to HAVE a map for now, I'll post a pic once you actually do. Maybe I did not specify exactly how out of the way you were, so I made this post now.

newcomer

Learned
Vernydar, for the cooking skill, do we get an ability to tell apart good food / drink from poisoned food / drink AFTER we have tasted a few bites / drank a bit?

Vernydar

Learned
Vernydar, for the cooking skill, do we get an ability to tell apart good food / drink from poisoned food / drink AFTER we have tasted a few bites / drank a bit?

No, it's not something like that. You do not have a reason to know about poisons. And your parents did not teach you. It's more like this:
- This animal here, you can only eat the meat on the legs, and if you cook it for a while, the meat on the back.
- That vegetable there, it's only safe to eat after boiling
- That other vegetable, better salt it. Or not eat it all all
- This animal I am unfamiliar with, maybe if my skill in cooking is good enough (read: I have quite some experience), I can guess exactly which parts are safe to eat, and which ones I do not think so.
- I know exactly how to prepare this food in order to make it last a long time (meat drying, using spices etc). Basically, turn it into long-term rations.

Think of this as a complement to survival, in the sense that it allows you to know what is safe to eat and how to preserve food. Apart from the obvious making tasty dishes of course.

Charlie_Brown

Novice
3) The bow. A strictly ranged weapon, most often used outdoor. Strike from afar before enemies get close to you. If they do get close to you, you have a serious problem. Also, the bow is very good for hunting...
10) Hunting. The ability to actively hunt animals. Allows you to go after big preys, not only small animals and plants like the survival skill does.
12) Orienteering. The ability to find you way through confusing places with few landmarks, like thick forests. Allows you to know where the north is.
14) Cooking. The ability to cook dishes that are tasteful. But more importantly, the ability to treat meat, vegetable and fish in order to make it edible. This allows you for example to recognize which parts of animals, fishes and such you should NOT eat.
17) First Aid. The ability to treat unhealthy people. Works well on injuries, diseases, food poisoning.
18) Knowledge of herbs. A comprehensive knowledge of herbs. Herbs that can be used to treat injuries, poisons, diseases. Herbs that can be used to cook or for tanning and dyeing, and other things as well. (note: this skill is related to where you are. If you move to a different climate, there would be different herbs...)

Basically, anything you'll need to survive on your own... kinda bummed I didn't manage to squeeze survival in there. Tracking was appealing too.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Can you pick a skill multiple times in 1 go? If so dagger 3 and sneak 3 times.

Vernydar

Learned
Can you pick a skill multiple times in 1 go? If so dagger 3 and sneak 3 times.

Nope mate, I do not want you to be too specialized, which is why I'm asking for 6 distinct choices.
Oh, btw, by sneak... you mean tracking? Or dodge? I did not put a sneak option :)

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
1) The sword.
3) The bow.
6) Survival in the woods.
10) Hunting.
12) Orienteering.
15) Literacy.

Vernydar

Learned
The results are in. The winners are: Survival in the woods 13 votes, cooking, literacy and first aid 11 votes, knowledge of herbs 9 votes and orienteering 8 votes. First of the excluded swimming 6 votes.
The character creation is now complete. Let's get this story started :)

4 - A sudden departure

Your training proceeds well as the years pass. Soon, the last winter before your coming of age arrives. In a few months, you will be an adult and you will begin your journey to see the world. You train with your father in order to survive in the woodlands, and to find your way through confusing places or with bad weather. Your mother instead teaches you a bit of cooking, first aid and her knowledge of herbs. She also encourages you to keep studying the art of reading and writing.
(You have gained skills: Orienteering 2 (Basic), Cooking 2 (Basic), First aid 2 (Basic), Knowledge of herbs 2 (Basic). Skills that increased: Survival in the woods 4 (Average), Literacy 6 (Competent))

The winter is terrible, even colder than usual. The snow piles high, in some places higher than a man, and so you're effectively cut off from the village. But your parents are not worried. Your farm is warm and well built, and you have ample supplies of wood and food stocked up. You devote yourself even more to training. You want to be as prepared as possible in the spring. But often things do not go as planned in this harsh world...

It seems negligible at first. Your entire family gets a cold, but your mother is not worried, and treats you with some herbs. After a few days, you start to have some fever, and your mother gives you different herbs. You see she's throwing worried glances to your father.... The next morning you can no longer stand. Your entire family has extremely high fever, and you are almost delirious. You hear you mother talking to your father, and she seems terrified. You hear a few words... "Green Plague" ... "My stash of rare herbs..." and then you lose consciousness.

You wake up, and have no idea of how much time has passed. You feel as weak as a newborn babe, your throat is completely dry. You drink from the glass on the bedside table. Then you suddenly remember. The Green Plague! A horrifying disease that affects animals and slowly turns their teeth and nails green. Eating meat from such an affected animal is most often deadly ! You look around, and sure enough your mother's pouch of rare herbs stands empty near your bed.

Somehow you get up and call out for your parents. The house is eerily silent. With dread in your heart, you start to look around. You find the bodies of your parents in their bedroom. There must have been only enough herbs for one person, and they chose to save you...

In the next two weeks you grieve deeply for your parents. You bury them behind the house, near the graves of your grandparents. You also proceed to butcher and burn to ashes all the animals in the farm, as you do not want the disease to spread by accident. Then, spring suddenly arrives. The wind brings warmer air from the south, and the snow starts to melt quickly. It is time to leave, you are even more determined now to make your way in the large world, to do SOMETHING with your life.
(You have gained personality trait: rather ambitious)

You pick up all the useful things you can. You find your family savings, 5 silver pieces, and put them in a pouch safely tucked in your shirt . You pick a sturdy backpack, and fill it with some blankets, some change of clothes, cooking appliances, a small hatchet, a rope, rations for two weeks and a canteen with enough water for 4 days. You also pick your father's sword, the best knife in the house, and the bow. You fasten the bow to your backpack, since you do not know how to use it. You hang the sword and the knife to your belt, using some scabbards you find in a old, dusty chest in the storage room.
(You have gained items: pouch with 5 silver pieces, backpack, blankets, some change of clothes, cooking appliances, small hatchet, rope, rations for 14 days, canteen (4 days of water), average quality sword, good quality knife, bow and quiver with 20 arrows).
(GM's note: 1 gold piece = 100 silver pieces. 1 silver piece = 100 copper pieces)

You are almost ready to go, your first step is your village, Tulik. You MUST warn the villagers of the Green plague, you cannot possibly think of letting other die like your parents did if you can help it. Also there you should find some information for your journey, and maybe buy some things.

But, what should you do with your farm?
1) Do nothing, just close the doors and leave immediately. It is the start of spring and you want to use every day! Besides, you are afraid to stay alone for more time than needed in the wilderness, even if it is at your farm...
2) Do nothing, just close the door. But bring anything of value you can carry with you. There is no time to wait, you must be on your way. But you can sell any valuables at Tulik, and gain some money.
3) Secure the farm, prepare it for your absence. This is the farm where you parents and your grandparents lived. It holds precious memories for you, it is certainly worth a week of your time...
4) Secure the farm, but bring anything of value you can carry with you. The farm is precious to you yes, and it's worth a week of your time. But you can sell at Tulik some tools and valuables, and gain some money
5) Prepare the farm to be sold with everything it contains. It will take about a week to clean it up, and then you can go to Tulik and sell it to someone. Memories are important, yes, but money is more important...

Urist McLurker

Learned
5)
Securing the farm is all well and good, but we're ambitious are we not? Will we one day return back to this farm? I doubt it.
It seems silly to secure it. We've buried our parents, it's time to move onwards for whatever we're aiming for, getting the most we can out of it seems like the best choice, besides it might be best to wait here a while before heading out, come to terms with shit, and it'll be closer to spring/further in spring for when we leave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom