Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
2) An excellent pair of traveling boots. These ones are clearly top level quality, and most comfortable. They are pricey though. 1 silver 50 coppers
3) A small purse of leather. Exceedingly resilient, useful if you get some valuables that you want to put in a soft but strong container. 30 coppers
5) A leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
7) Leather pants. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver

Kz3r0

Arcane
2) An excellent pair of traveling boots. These ones are clearly top level quality, and most comfortable. They are pricey though. 1 silver 50 coppers
3) A small purse of leather. Exceedingly resilient, useful if you get some valuables that you want to put in a soft but strong container. 30 coppers
4) A small leather cap. Protects your head from hits, and not too heavy. The face is uncovered, so you do not lose visibility. 30 coppers.
6) A studded leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
8) Studded leather pants. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
9) Leather gloves. Decent protection. 40 coppers

Monty

Arcane

I don't think we need the most expensive boots, which are 7 times the price of the 'good ones'. For us dexterity is a must, so no studded leather pants or gloves. Moving through a thick forest with studs on our leather pants wouldn't be easy or quiet.

I would also imagine one could wear normal leather pants around town where we are now, so a slight upgrade to our current bushman attire.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Try to remember that we don't own much besides those silver pieces. Maybe we shouldn't waste then on first shop buying the most expensive gear.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Leather cap is derp. I dont think there is any weapon that it would protect against. (except fists, but we got our skull for that)

2)
3)
6)
9)

No pants either, were better off being quick. Any well placed weapon blow will still mess us up in leather, studs or not.

Kipeci

Arcane
2, 3, 5, 9.

If we're going to be doing a lot of walking in the future, it's best not to skimp out on our boots.

oscar

Arcane
Yeah the boots are a solid investment that will be useful no matter what we do really.

Vernydar

Learned
Well, the site is back online. I think I will do the update anyway tonight, unless you guys think that it's best to wait till tomorrow to give people enough time to vote..

Edit: to be clear, this means I'd make the next update in about 8 hours

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Buy the excellent pair of boots, they should last longer and save us more money in the long-term, (Sam Vimes Theory of Socio-Economic Injustice) we'll still have enough money to support ourselves for sometime.

2) An excellent pair of traveling boots.
3) A small purse of leather.
4) A small leather cap.
6) A studded leather jacket, covering your torso and arms.
8) Studded leather pants.
9) Leather gloves.

Also, I think most people prefer faster updates, even if they sometimes don't get the chance to vote. I know that's the case for me at least.

newcomer

Learned
2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9

Just make the best buy possible & skip the next armor (from online-gaming wisdom)

Vernydar

Learned
Very well then, seems there's enough votes. I'll post an update in a couple of hours. If you want to vote, do it now :P

Project: Eternity
5) A leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
7) Leather pants. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
This

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, this time the shop went a little less smooth but I hope you will agree with what I decided. Average you wanted to spend was 4.88 silver. 3) got 15 votes, 9) 13 votes, 2) 11 votes, 6) 10 votes. Then, 8) and 4) got 7 votes, but only 67 coppers were left. But, other 5 people voted for 7), the other legs, that cost only 1 silver. So, since all in all 12 people voted for legs, you'll get 7) and spend 5 silvers and 20 coppers. I think it's a good compromise.

Also, at the end of the post and in the post about nations at the start of the thread, I give you the map of Eskal. Hope you like it, took a few hours...

24 – An afternoon at the tavern

You try a lot of armors and boots, and haggle with the owner. Or try to at least, since you don't know how to do it effectively.

In the end, you buy:
  • An excellent pair of traveling boots
  • A small purse of leather
  • Leather gloves
  • A studded leather jacket, covering your torso and arms
  • Leather pants
(You spend 5 silvers and 20 coppers)

You thank the owner and leave. You go back to your room at the inn and decide to put on the boots, the gloves and the leather pants. The studded leather jacket would be a bit out of place in a tavern, so you leave it in your room. Same with the sword, you do take your dagger with it though. You consume a hearty meal, and then in the early afternoon you depart for the tavern.

The tavern. This strange, alluring and often troublesome place in the stories of your father, where adventure, food, drinks, laughter and a black eye can be found most often! You are quite impatient to get there and see for yourself what awaits you.

You arrive around 3 in the afternoon, just as they are opening up. Your plans are to stay the entire afternoon, and the evening too. But you decided it was best to come here in the afternoon, to get a better idea of what is in store for you before the evening begins. After all, in the stories of your father, the most fun was to be had in the evening. Fun in every possible way of course. Better take a look in the afternoon first.

As time passes, clients start to trickle in and you observe what kind of people are here.

You notice in a corner a group of soldiers obviously off-duty. They are rowdy, and are drinking heavily. They seem to be quite cheery, and should be easy to approach. But you wonder about what you could tell them.

At a large table right in front of the entrance you see a large group of villagers. They seem to be regulars, and are mostly normal villagers of all kinds and trades. Sometimes one leaves, but soon another takes his place

At a smallish table near the tavern counter you see what seem to be a group of merchants. They are talking with a low voice, and a serious expression on their face. Most likely business, which could be interesting, provided you manage to get into the conversation.

Finally in a corner you see a small table where two men of middle age are seated. You notice that they appear to wear rather expensive clothes, and they talk quietly between themselves.

What do you want to do? (Open choice)
There are simply too many variations, you might want to try a hundred different approaches. Make a proposal and put a number on it, or vote for another proposal. Keep in mind that depending on what you do and how long it takes, some patrons may leave...

Map. I suggest you enlarge or download it

bUgaX.jpg

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, i have a small problem. I use imgur, and it brutally resized and compressed the map. It's still passable but... any idea of a image hosting service that takes larger files? Not vital nor urgent, but I thought I'd ask

m4davis

Scholar
try to listen in on the merchants and if you get a opportunity to enter the conversation do so

ScubaV

Prophet
I haven't thought of approaches yet, but my list of priorities goes like this: noble-types > merchants = soldiers > villagers. The nobles and merchants will probably stay the least amount of time and what any one soldier or villager knows is probably similar to what others know. From the nobles we might learn some more about our prospective employer and get used to interacting with the higher class in general. The merchants and soldiers might know some about the raids and general goings-on. The villagers might be the best bet for local knowledge and/or quests.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
I agree with Scuba's priority list, but I cannot for the life of me think of a good way to interject ourselves amongst the nobles.

Since we may as well come up with SOMETHING, I'll propose this, but I don't have too much confidence in it.

A) Approach the merchants with a tankard of decent ale in a gesture of good will, and explain our ignorance of the world and desire to know more, ask if they can tell us any tales about the merchanting life and how one might be successful in trade. During the conversation, assuming we can strike one up, ask them about the nobles over yonder and how one might approach them. Try to use our natural charisma to keep them from telling us to fuck off.

I don't know how a low-born deals with nobles, and I'm fairly sure neither does our character. It might be best to save approaching them until we know how one might do so without getting a thrashing.

oscar

Arcane
- Yeah, I can't imagine the nobles taking kindly to us strolling up for a chat. If this place has a Samurai-like feudal system (what I don't think it does) it could land us a blade to the throat.

- Merchants are more likely, but again I can't see why they would want to chat with us.

- Soldiers are probably too drunk to learn anything much of worth from

Hmm

1. Try and listen in on the merchants
2. If there is still time, go over and chat with the villagers to learn the local gossip and rumours

Esquilax

Arcane
Bros, remember that clothes make the man, and right now, we aren't dressed in the sort of :obviously: garb that would provide a good first impression to noble types. You see a leather-clad adolescent boy walking up to you in the middle of a bar, you're going to initially think he's trying to rob you, not ask for tips on the stock market. If we wanted to make the right sort of impression, we should have gotten some nice digs first. Remember that we only got by on our meeting with Thomas last time on sheer charisma - at first glance, the dude thought we were an illiterate peasant. I'm not saying that we can't make a decent impression, just that it will probably be harder.

My thoughts:

Soldiers: The soldiers are the easiest to approach. Just tell a bawdy joke, order up a round and we'll be the best of friends.
Villagers: The villagers are probably the same as the soldiers. "Hi, how's it going fellas? I'm new in town" should suffice. If one of these guys has a really good trade (i.e. blacksmith) then they'd be a great friend to have.
Merchants: These guys are in the middle of a meeting, so they don't want some annoying stranger bothering them. I'd suggest that we pretend to be a server and offer them complementary drinks. We'll offer them round after round, waiting for them to get good and drunk (this is going to cost a bit). Then, after an hour or so once they've loosened up, we start inquiring as to what sort of business they're involved in because we couldn't help but overhear them. We'll tell them how tough our job at the tavern is (I mean, fuck, we don't even have a decent pair of clothes!) and how we'd love to help them out.
Rich, Secretive Dudes: These guys are tough. They're probably talking so quietly because they don't want to be heard. I would hate to miss a chance to find out if these men are somehow connected to what happened to Qoor. I'd love to hear what they're saying, but I don't know how we'd have them let their guard down.

More importantly, why is this place such a fucking sausage fest? From the description it seems as though there is not a single wench in this tavern. Fuck this, I propose we go to the club and get some bitches.

Vernydar

Learned
It is still afternoon. You do not expect a lot of wenches in the afternoon right? Besides in the evening there will be a lot more patrons..

Oh by the way, the villagers group, I thought it obvious but there's women there too if you really want. maybe not young wenches as you say, but if you want...

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The soldiers would probably be the easiest to approach, but we'd probably want to do it immediately before they get drunk and rowdy enough to feel like beating the shit out of a pissant like us.
Trying to strike up a conversation with nobles out of the blue in general isn't a very good idea. If they're the snobbish kind of noble then we'll probably get bluntly rejected, if we're lucky. They could be good to talk to if we wanna take the LP in the direction of political intrigue, though. Worst case scenario, they call the guards, which probably won't get us in serious trouble, but it'd be an inconvenience nonetheless.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Although there may not be a high likelihood of success, the consequence of failure is almost negligible with approaching the merchants, where it would be much higher with the soldiers and the nobles. The worst the merchants would do is tell us to get fucked. The worst the nobles or soldiers would do is beat the shit out of us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom