Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Renegen

Arcane
What's all this nonsense about composure? Are we roleplaying Spock? Anyway, I pick 1-3-6. As for the weapon, the knife, all that time spent indoors leaves only time to master a secondary weapon.

Vernydar

Learned
Oh just a reminder, be sure that your personality, sort of your "moral compass", will likely change quite a bit as updates go by... :) Well, depending on your choices anyway.

ScubaV

Prophet
I think we are on the way to creating a cunning character. I want someone cool-headed, ambitious, charismatic, and intelligent. Possibly ruthless on his rise to power as well.

4) It's all about results
5) Doubters will only fuel our desire to rise up against them.
6) Ambition will make us great.

I'm taking the Sword for its versatility. We won't be using it much though - we'll have people doing our dirty work for us.

This exactly.
However, for the weapon, I choose knife. A stealthy weapon for a character who works behind the scenes to pull everyone else's strings.

Also, Codex cannot into women. :smug:

Esquilax

Arcane
What's all this nonsense about composure? Are we roleplaying Spock? Anyway, I pick 1-3-6. As for the weapon, the knife, all that time spent indoors leaves only time to master a secondary weapon.

Agreed. Composed is good, having a stick up his ass all the time is not. More of this:

350px-Tywin_Lannister3.png

And less of this:

spock_kirk.jpg

newcomer

Learned
4-6-8
KNIFE

Time to place the royal families of Eskal in their "rightful place" & make our guy a king

EDIT: FLIPPING TO 4-5-8

Renegen

Arcane
Meh, I find it hard to believe someone perfect in his intelligence, ambition and discipline would come from a small isolated village. More fun to roleplay a more average fellow with weaknesses.

m4davis

Scholar
What makes you think were prefect in out intelligence ambition or discipline it says we have an above average intelligence for our age but we still have no idea what its like outside of our little bubble.we have composure that doesn't mean we don't get mad or don't act on things out of emotion we just are very good at keeping a straight face and voice when we are acting out of it.And when does it even mention our ambition

Charlie_Brown

Novice
Meh, I find it hard to believe someone perfect in his intelligence, ambition and discipline would come from a small isolated village. More fun to roleplay a more average fellow with weaknesses.

Agreed, but remember, our boy is still just a 12 yr old kid, it's not like he's some Lannister just because he's showing promise. :-D

Anyhow:

5) You are proud of your accomplishments and abilities. You get annoyed by people doubting you.
6) You do not like when you see someone better than you at something. This makes you strive to become better than them so you can put them in their place
9) You are just, always trying to see the world for what it is. You try to avoid being prejudiced.

C) The bow. A strictly ranged weapon, most often used outdoor. Strike from afar before enemies get close to you. If they do get close to you, you have a serious problem. Also, the bow is very good for hunting...

Vernydar

Learned
Mdavis has a point. Note that all these choices are still somewhat "mild". Above average intelligence. Moderate personality traits. Basic skills. I assure you will only start out as a hopeful, you certainly won't be a prodigy out of the box or anything like that.

You're just creating a starting young adult, with a few perks over the average farmer yes, but still, a total newbie at life. You can very well end up completely different from how you're going to start out.

Hell, I have NO idea of how your character will turn out, you're the players after all!
A schemer behind the curtains (Lol at the Tywin Lannister image up there)? A rich merchant? A warrior? A scholar? A healer? A high placed priest? A mercenary in faraway lands? An explorer of the wilderness? A bandit? Something even more exotic?

Or more likely, a mix of some of the above? Will you even stay in the kingdom of Eskal? I mean, I already sort of started to plan out the neighbouring nations. And making maps. Nothing forces you to stay in Eskal.

Also, thanks again for the participation, I wasn't sure how much interest there could be in such a game. Tonight, in about 10 hours, is the last update of the character creation (skills). Then, our young Kyoss will start his journey in life :)

ScubaV

Prophet
My unofficial tally for the leading options is thus (as of Vernydar's most recent post):

4) You are calm, capable of completing tasks without getting impatient. 11 votes
5)You are proud of your accomplishments and abilities. 10 votes
6)You do not like when you see someone better than you at something. 9 votes
8)You are capable of keeping your desires under control. 9 votes

Sword 8 votes
Knife 6 votes

We can't let ambition (6) lose to restraint (8), especially when we voted to be composed in the first update!

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, counting cappenvarra's vote in the wrong thread :p the results are
Personality: 4) 12 votes, 5) 11 votes, 8) 9 votes and 6) 8 votes. So 4), 5) and 8)
Weapon: Sword 8, Knife 7

3 - Preparing for your journey

As you grew up, you started to show some characteristics of your personality. You are a calm individual, capable of completing tasks without getting impatient. You try to complete one job at a time, and to do it well if possible. You are also proud of your accomplishments and abilities. This means though that you get annoyed by people doubting you or your work. And finally, you are usually capable of keeping your desires under control. You rarely act based only on them.
(Personality traits gained: You are rather calm and patient. You are rather proud. You can usually keep your desires under control)

You asked your father to teach you the sword, stating it's the best weapon against the beasts of the wilderness
(You have gained skill: Sword 2 (Basic))

Another two years have passed. Around the time of your fourteenth birthday your parents had to admit that you would probably not change your mind about leaving in order to see the world. It worried them, but at the same time they had a very straightforward talk with you. They would help you acquire some much needed skills in these last two years before your coming of age. In exchange you promised that you would think carefully about whether you truly wanted to leave, though in your mind you have no doubt.

If after coming of age you will still want to leave, they promised you they'd help making sure you are as well equipped as possible for your journey. You feel immense gratitude and affection for your supportive parents.

And so starts your training. You father can teach you more of the art of combat, and about other skills useful in the wilderness in general. You mother instead can help with her knowledge of life in the farm, and of course with her previous knowledge of healing and her superior general culture. You are obviously limited to the skills your parents know...

Choose six skills from the list below (If you already have a skill, choosing it will improve your skill level. Refer to the character sheet)
1) The sword. A good, balanced weapon, capable of dealing good damage and excellent both for defense and for offense. The sword has a decent reach as well. Your father owns the only sword in the entire village though... It is also not good for combat in closed spaces, and usually regulated in cities.
2) The knife. A compact weapon, usable in close quarters, easily hidden, easily obtained. But not as good as the sword in a straight fight in the open, or against armored enemies. Sometimes it can be thrown...
3) The bow. A strictly ranged weapon, most often used outdoor. Strike from afar before enemies get close to you. If they do get close to you, you have a serious problem. Also, the bow is very good for hunting...
4) Unarmed combat. The ability to fight barehanded. Most useful in non lethal combat, tavern brawls, and against unarmed opponents. Or when you have no weapon...
5) Dodging. The ability to avoid incoming attacks, and even thrown weapons and generally flying things. Not effective if you are wearing cumbersome clothes or heavy armor.
6) Survival in the woods. The ability to find food, water and shelter in woodlands. Also, some ability in avoiding dangerous animals.
7) Swimming. The ability to swim. From floating in a calm pond, to braving a mighty river.
8) Climbing. The ability to climb trees, mountains, buildings, and anything else.
9) Running. The ability to run for extended periods of time without tiring. Also, the ability to run on rugged terrain without injuring yourself.
10) Hunting. The ability to actively hunt animals. Allows you to go after big preys, not only small animals and plants like the survival skill does.
11) Tracking. The ability to follow animal tracks in various different terrains. You think it could also work with humans....
12) Orienteering. The ability to find you way through confusing places with few landmarks, like thick forests. Allows you to know where the north is.
13) Animal Handling.The ability to properly take care of animals, to feed them and see that they stay healthy.
14) Cooking. The ability to cook dishes that are tasty. But more importantly, the ability to treat meat, vegetable and fish in order to make it edible. This allows you for example to recognize which parts of animals, fishes and such you should NOT eat.
15) Literacy.The ability to read and write. How many words you know, and how well you can compose a piece of text. (hey, it's medieval age....)
16) Accounting. The ability to work with numbers, but mostly related to monetary matters.
17) First Aid. The ability to treat unhealthy people. Works well on injuries, diseases, food poisoning.
18) Knowledge of herbs. A comprehensive knowledge of herbs. Herbs that can be used to treat injuries, poisons, diseases. Herbs that can be used to cook or for tanning and dyeing, and other things as well. (note: this skill is related to where you are. If you move to a different climate, there would be different herbs...)

Here we are. This concludes the character creation. Next update, Kyoss begins his journey :)
Yeah I know, choosing 6 things is long but... hey, it IS the character creation

Curufinwe

Learned

We're in the middle of nowhere, all these skills can be useful in surviving and most still have their uses outside of these forests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom