Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Kz3r0

Arcane
I know that my list is long, encumbering and expensive, but shouldn't be a problem if we enter in the service of Lord Medah.

Omicron

Scholar
True, but I'd rather wait with buying that much until we've actually entered his service and have a somewhat permanent place to stay/set up our library. Also, if things go downhill in Bitak, we would be able to get away without our expensive books burnt.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Maybe we can work a deal to read all of them but not keep them? We are on good terms so maybe for 2-3 silvers we can have free range on his library. Its not like we have a place to keep them anyway. Id also like to pursue a friendship with the old guy. A wise, and kind (seemingly anyway) bookkeeper who knew our parents, we've got pretty lucky meeting him I think.

oscar

Arcane
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 (we'll never get ahead acting like a backwater peasant), 11, 12, 13, 14, 16

Though where the hell are we gonna live and store all this?

Project: Eternity
If we take Medah's service, we will probably be coming back here from time to time anyway, so there is no need to pick up every book right now.

If we don't take service, we will probably need to do a lot of walking, so we don't want to carry that much anyway.

if we get
2) A book with the History of Eskal. 60 coppers. That should have at least general desriptions of location, if not a basic map itself. We are good enough at orienteering to find our way from there (probably).

4) A book of heraldly. It mostly talks of Eskal, but the major houses of other nearby kingdoms are covered as well. 1 silver This will tell us who the players are in the area. It will also probably tell us who the soldiers worked for (since I doubt a bit player is off doing these kind of shenanigans this deep in Eskal).

The rest are highly useful, but these are not small paperbacks. I picture them more like thick math books. If we try to shelp around more than 1-2 they will get very heavy, very fast. Once we figure out where we can store stuff and get the time for some real reading then we can come back.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16

Reckon you could give us a rough estimate of how many books we could carry before we become over-encumbered, Vernydar?

Those not in bold can be left at the store until we find somewhere to stash them

TOME

Cuckmaster General
What do you do with the book of heraldry? If we ever stumble on a lord, we don't have to know about his lineage, only about him. And that information we can aquire from peasants.

1) A map of the Kingdom of Eskal. 50 coppers
2) A book with the History of Eskal. 60 coppers
5) A book of old stories, legends and myths. Mostly about Eskal, a few about neighbouring nations. 80 coppers
7) A book about the art of healing, covering diseases, injuries, and poisoning. 60 coppers
8) A book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them. 50 coppers.
9) A book talking of the basics of alchemy. Thomas tells you that if you want to know more you will have to leave Eskal, other nations are much more advanced in this field. 2 silvers

We definitely need to come back here again. But there is only so much we can carry.

Edit: we should befriend him and work some kind of a deal to read all books without owning them.

Curufinwe

Learned
I would like to say all myself, but until we have permanent lodgings it makes no sense. Two books is probably the practical limit (don't think modern day paperbacks, think ungainly monk copied tomes with paper thick enough to stop an arrow (hyperbole, but still)).
In alternative, if it's available, we could ask Thomas if we can buy the books and have him hold them for us.

1) A map of the Kingdom of Eskal. 50 coppers ---------> We are in Eskal, and a map can be carried around.
2) A book with the History of Eskal. 60 coppers -------> We need to know what the hell happened to our nation.
5) A book of old stories, legends and myths. Mostly about Eskal, a few about neighbouring nations. 80 coppers -----> I have this feeling we could find a mention about our friendly centipede-summoning friend in the myth section here.

Regarding skill books, we can wait until our good pal Medah offers us a job (or not) to focus on something.

On a sidenote: I have a disquieting feeling Bitak won't EXIST for very long (I give her two-three years tops): those centipede guys, I think, are creating centipede nests. Even if stone walls are to be built, they won't do shit against a good number of those monsters. If those guys are bold enough to attack a village that is visited by trade caravans they know they'll be eventually spotted, so they're planning something big. And Bitak is as big as it comes in this area.
So we shouldn't probably get too comfortable here. Travel light.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
At least carrying all these books with us will have the extra benefit of increasing our strength score... :?

I'm going to change my vote, hopefully it won't be too confusing in the tallying.

(Vote changed in original post)

If I can weight my selection, give extra preference to old stories, legends and myths.

The more I think about it the more I think we should take up service with Medah in order to grind our skills for a bit before we continue adventuring.

Rather than buying the book of Heraldry, ask the kindly old man if we can quickly look up Medah and his house.

Related to the centipedes and ways to defeat them, I think we should consider learning poisons. We could purge the area effectively if we went around poisoning their nests with something like ricin (dosage won't matter so much with something particularly potent).

Vernydar

Learned
These books are thick, but not as huge as you might think because most of them are not the equivalent of a 600 pages modern book. As for waterproof Smashing Axe, sorry nothing around here can do that.

A realistic maximum number of books you can carry with you: 5 books and the map (which weights next to nothing) if you want them in the backpack. That fills the backpack up, considering what you have at the moment. Consider that you have one of those big backpacks, not something small.

Or if you can get a mule or horse, 10 + the map. If you leave some in a room, basically all of them.

As for befriending Thomas: that can work but only if you stay here for a while hoodoo. Learning takes time so if you think of moving in the next months, you should buy what you're interested into. If everyone wants to stay here for a while, what you proposed can work, Thomas seems well disposed towards you

Note that if you buy more than 5, Thomas will keep here the other ones until you know where to stash them if you want.

Also, if you change your vote please edit the original post as to help me count, thanks

Kipeci

Arcane
1, 4, 7, 10, 11, 13.

I would like for us to get some sort of employment with the Lord and a place to stay for the moment. If we go ahead and do that, I'd like to look into all of them if we can spare the time.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
As for befriending Thomas: that can work but only if you stay here for a while hoodoo. Learning takes time so if you think of moving in the next months, you should buy what you're interested into. If everyone wants to stay here for a while, what you proposed can work, Thomas seems well disposed towards you

would it be possible to pay to use the store as a library, or maybe even as a house out of home? and do we have to stay for awhile, if we stay intermittently inbetween our adventures would that be alright?

Vernydar

Learned
would it be possible to pay to use the store as a library, or maybe even as a house out of home? and do we have to stay for awhile, if we stay intermittently inbetween our adventures would that be alright?

I had not thought about this. But it is possible, Thomas would agree since it's Kyoss.

How about this. Those of you who want to eventually go this route could still vote for buying those books and/or maps that you want to have with you no matter what happens or where you go. Then, if by later choices you end up staying some time in Bitak, I will make a secondary side decision available in some update once you're out of books to read. Or once you want to know some specific piece of knowledge. And you can use the store as some sort of library, for a while.

I will just say it once again, keep in mind that studying these books will take time.

Monty

Arcane

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for 5. We've already some across a giant centipede and mysterious ruins, reading up on the myths and legends in this area strikes me as vital rather than the meaningless hobby it would be in our world. Most people we've encountered are illiterate and events will rapidly pass from the realm of fact to legends passed on by word of mouth, so this could be our only source to learn about some of the older events.

7 and 8 make sense given our background and our time in the woods, both healing and poisons are essential. 1 and 2 would be a good overall guide to keep with us.

Zwist

Learned
Let us remember what we buy books for.
Some are useful for reference, others for learning. Of course we can learn the reference works by heart too.
We can't read books simultaneously, so lets at max have 2-3 of that kind.
Also there will probably be bookstores elsewhere too. Albeit more costly.

1) A map of the Kingdom of Eskal. 50 coppers

5) A book of old stories, legends and myths. Mostly about Eskal, a few about neighbouring nations. 80 coppers

7) A book about the art of healing, covering diseases, injuries, and poisoning. 60 coppers
8) A book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them. 50 coppers.

13) A book about the art of eloquence. How to talk well and be convincing. 1 silver.

5) might be our cue too run like the wind, if we find something "interesting".

7) and 8) might be reference works, but might make us useful to almost everybody.
13) As that is what we are aiming for.
A friendly guy who knows how to keep you alive? Now that's someone I'd like to have nearby.

The reason I do not chose Alchemy is that I'd much rather study it where people know what they are talking about.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The book on heraldry could very well allow us to both impress and gain the favour of Lord Medah. Furthermore, it would provide us with a greater understanding of the history and power structure of the kingdom, and it would also come in handy as a work of reference for all encounters with nobles and their servants. Given that our charismatic character seems to have aspirations above mundane servitude, the knowledge this book presumably offers seems too good to pass by.

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, vote closed. Update should be up in 30-40 minutes

EDit: going to take a bit more :)

Vernydar

Learned
Ok, I think it worked pretty well. To the voters, thank you a lot. On average, you spent 5,9 silvers with your choices. I rounded it up to 6. The most voted choices considering a budget of 6 silver are: 1) with 16 votes, 7) and 8) 12 votes, 4) and 13) 11 votes, 2) with 10 votes, 10) with 8 votes and 5) with 7 votes. This is exactly 6 silver (lucky..)
That is one map and 7 books. So, books 10 and 5 will be left here till you have a place to move them to. I'm making a small list only for books in the character sheet, after posting this. On to the tanner then next morning.

23 – Leather is better than clothes, right?

You keep looking at the books and talking to Thomas in order to select the best possible choices. In the end you buy:
  • A map of the Kingdom of Eskal
  • A book about the art of healing
  • A book about plants, herbs, and extracting useful substances from them
  • A book of heraldry
  • A book about the art of eloquence
  • A book with the History of Eskal
  • A book that talks about etiquette
  • A book of old stories, legends and myths
(These books have been added to your inventory. The last 2 are in the shop of old Thomas until you find a place for them. Unless an update requires so you will study them in this order. Studying them takes days or weeks though, keep it in mind)
(You have spent 6 silvers)

You thank Thomas for the help, and for keeping a couple of those books in the store until you know where you can keep them. You also ask if you could perhaps pay a fee in order to use his store as a sort of small library, if you finish the books or need some information and are still in Bitak. Thomas is happy to agree, he seems really keen in helping your education. You like this old man, your parents were right it seems. They always told you that yes, the world is full of greedy and self-serving people, but there are some that are nice as well.

You realize that it's dark outside and so you head for the inn, eat your meal and go to bed. You are incredibly tired after today.
(You spend 5 coppers for food and a room for today)

In the morning you feel fresh once again, ready to explore some more. Today the plan is to go to the tanner in the morning, and then head to the tavern, and spend the afternoon and the evening there to talk to as many people as possible. Tomorrow you will decide whether or not to accept Lord Medah's offer and go meet his old aide Jacob to discuss your possible assignments.

You leave the inn and head to the tanner. As soon as you near the store, you are assaulted by the intense smell of leather and dye. You enter the store and greet the owner, a small man with a very large nose. You can't help but notice how his hands are ruined by the dye and the substances he uses to treat leather.

You explain to him that you're interested in some armor, and maybe some other leather gear he might have for traveling. He looks at you and then speaks:

"Oh I see, a young man on his first journey away from home right? Well, I got some suggestions for you all right. You do not seem very strong to me, so you did well coming here. Leather armor is quite strong, and does not weight too much. I'd stay away from metal armor until you get some more muscles on those bones, and until you are trained. Leather instead, you can use right now. I may also have some other few things for you... Maybe some boots too."

You browse his selection of goods, and find some things that attract your attention.

What are you going to buy? (Choose as many as you like) (Remember your current funds: 13 silvers and 10 coppers)
1) A good pair of traveling boots. They are slightly better than yours, and seem sturdy enough no matter what use you put them through. 20 coppers
2) An excellent pair of traveling boots. These ones are clearly top level quality, and most comfortable. They are pricey though. 1 silver 50 coppers
3) A small purse of leather. Exceedingly resilient, useful if you get some valuables that you want to put in a soft but strong container. 30 coppers
4) A small leather cap. Protects your head from hits, and not too heavy. The face is uncovered, so you do not lose visibility. 30 coppers.
5) A leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
6) A studded leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
7) Leather pants. Minimal encumbrance, decent protection. 1 silver
8) Studded leather pants. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
9) Leather gloves. Decent protection. 40 coppers
10) Studded leather gloves. Better protection than normal leather but your hands are less dexterous. 1 silver

Gm's note:
Next update is the tavern. Today has been really busy so I did not manage to finish up the last details for the map. Will be in tomorrow's update.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
1) A good pair of traveling boots.
3) A small purse of leather.
4) A small leather cap.
5) A leather jacket, covering your torso and arms.
7) Leather pants.
9) Leather gloves.

ScubaV

Prophet
2) An excellent pair of traveling boots. These ones are clearly top level quality, and most comfortable. They are pricey though. 1 silver 50 coppers
3) A small purse of leather. Exceedingly resilient, useful if you get some valuables that you want to put in a soft but strong container. 30 coppers
4) A small leather cap. Protects your head from hits, and not too heavy. The face is uncovered, so you do not lose visibility. 30 coppers.
6) A studded leather jacket, covering your torso and arms. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver
8) Studded leather pants. Low encumbrance, better protection than normal leather. 2 silver

Total cost 6.5 silvers. Money remaining: 6.6 silvers. I suggest going to interface options and turning off display helmet though. Leather caps look extremely lame no matter what.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist
1) A good pair of traveling boots. They are slightly better than yours, and seem sturdy enough no matter what use you put them through. 20 coppers

m4davis

Scholar

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom