Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
While I agree that the pursuit of knowledge is important, we must keep in mind that this particular source of information is a blackamoor, and thus, untrustworthy by default.

A treatise on the races of the realms would serve us far better. :obviously:

Esquilax

Arcane
While I agree that the pursuit of knowledge is important, we must keep in mind that this particular source of information is a blackamoor, and thus, untrustworthy by default.

A treatise on the races of the realms would serve us far better. :obviously:

Ah, but the Moors were among the most scholarly and educated people in the world in the Middle Ages. :obviously: indeed. Seems like a good contact to have on our road to fame, wealth and glory.

Nevertheless, I believe that with our charisma and our alert nature, we can probably figure out what this unfriendly-looking man is after.

3)

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
yah, if someone were to know something about man-eating centipedes and piles of headless corpses I bet it would be that guy. Im hoping he'll offer a different perspective on whats been going on. Maybe hes some sort of rogues guild affiliate or something as well, which could be neat.

Vernydar

Learned
3)
One question, do the gods actually exist in this setting?

There are many religions. All of them of course claim that the gods exist. All of them claim that some people can perform miracles. But you are very ignorant on the subject.

You parents never talked to you about gods, or much about other lands apart from Eskal. Who knows why... After all your mother was a foreigner.

Curufinwe

Learned
2) Fortuneteller, most definitely. Since it's probably a fraud and we know it, it will help us to see firsthand the tricks used by con-men and similar scum of society, to avoid being taken advantage of later.

Vernydar

Learned
10 votes for 1), 5 for 3), one each for 2) and 4). The foreign merchant it is.

21 – Of faraway lands and old booksellers

You decide to try asking the foreign merchant about his nation. You greet him, and politely ask what he sells for a living. He shows you his merchandise, mostly cheap jewelry, but also quite a few strange fruits. They are dried, and he assures you they are still good to eat even though they traveled for such a long time.

You use the opportunity to steer the conversation to his home country, trying to get as much information as possible. He actually seems happy about your question. He tells you that he hails from the Kingdom of Dabil, far in the south beyond the Sea of Broken Reefs. It is a coastal Kingdom with a hot climate, the land scorched by the unforgiving sun. However, it's still a rather fertile lands due to the numerous rives that flow from the nearby mountains, and thanks to the sea which brings cold, moist air in the morning and evening.

You ask him how long does it take to reach it by sea. He answers you that a competent ship captain can reach it in a couple of weeks, considering the unruly winds and of course the reefs to avoid. He also volunteers the information that Dabil is a kingdom much more advanced than Eskal, and that control of the sea is one of the pillars of its power. After all, Dabil trades with all the nations that border the Sea of Broken Reefs, and even has smaller commercial routes to the nations on the other side of the continent!

You then ask a bit about the people that inhabit his nation. He explains to you that the most important activities in his kingdom are trade, shipbuilding, paid transport to and from the other nations on the Sea of Broken Reefs and crafting of raw goods imported from somewhere else. Being a land with few natural resources, Dabil imports raw goods and then craft them into items sold at a higher price in the other nations. As such, Dabil is a rich kingdom, and one with excellent relationships with all its neighbours. After all, war is bad for trade.

Along the way, he convinces you to try some of the dried fruits, and you must agree that they are indeed excellent. You thank him for his tale, pay him for the fruit and leave.
(You have spent 10 coppers)

You look around but both the fortuneteller and the man who was watching the plaza are gone. After all it's almost lunch time. You decide to go back to the tavern to get your lunch, and make a mental note to come back to the market again at a later date if you want to talk to them.

In the early afternoon, rested and well fed, you make your way to the store that sells books and maps. You enter and stop there, impressed by the amount of books and the soft smell of paper and ink. A very old man sits behind a counter, and looks at you quite surprised. Immediately you realize that you are still dressed like a villager, and the old man is likely thinking you entered by mistake.

You address him using all of your natural charisma, explaining that you are indeed a young man on his first journey, but quite capable of reading. You are looking for possibly useful books of all kinds, and maybe a few maps as well.

The old man introduces himself as Thomas, an old man who sold books all his life. He assures you that though Bitak is a fringe village, he has extensive contacts in the other villages and cities of the Kingdom, and some even beyond that. In his youth, he traveled far and wide in his search for books.

You strike up a conversation with Thomas, asking for his counsel in what kind of books could be useful to you in your journey. After all, you know very little the of the world outside your village.

After about a hour of conversation, you and Thomas are beginning to form a list of possible books for you to buy. The old man seems very impressed with your proficiency at reading, especially considering your young age. Then he talks, and what he says stops you dead in your tracks.

"Young Kyoss, you truly are accomplished at reading. This is so uncommon here in Eskal, and even more so considering how young you are. This is an extraordinary ability in a world where few can read and write! It must have been at least 20 years since I met such a young literate person. Yes, the last one I met must have been 21 years ago to be precise. It was when that young, genius healer passed through Bitak. Hrm, was her name Larina? Larine? Oh sorry, forgive the ramblings of an old man. Now, let's keep talking about this, I will make sure I suggest you the best books I have. It's such a rare pleasure, selling books to a young literate man!"

It is your mother the old man is talking about, you're sure of it!

Should you ask anything to the old man?
A) Tell him that you are Larine's son, and ask him if he can tell you anything about her.
B) Do not tell him you are her son, but show curiosity and ask more about her.
C) Do not say anything. Just go on with buying some books and maps.
D) Other. Make a proposal and put a letter on it.

Also, in the next update I will give you a wide selection of books to buy if you want. If you want to suggest a specific book for the list, feel free to do so! I will think about it while writing tomorrow's update. Please no metagaming requests.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
A) Tell him that you are Larine's son, and ask him if he can tell you anything about her.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
A) but while we are buying books id like to find out if possible what and where the biggest city is. Buying books: I think a general history would be good, along with maps of the region and maybe a dabble in the more arcane sort of books (if they are available) or a bestiary to clue us in on the centipede and its origins. Asking the man about his travels would be pertinent as well. Maybe inquire about a bank?

After about a hour of conversation, you and Thomas are beginning to form a list of possible books for you to buy.

What did we talk about? What books were listed?

I think this might be a good time to discuss as a group where exactly we want to take our character as well. I am leaning towards putting our money somewhere safe (preferably safe and with interest) and joining the army. There, if we are lucky, we will learn alot, not only about combat but the world at large and earn a wage to set us up for whatever we decide to pursue after. Or, since we seem to be of a uncommon breed (literate peasant) maybe pursuing a life as a lorekeeper would be good. We even got a mentor with family ties it seems.

If its not too much to ask, could we have a summary of our character Vernydar? Skills we have aquired and an inventory.

Vernydar

Learned
A) but while we are buying books id like to find out if possible what and where the biggest city is. Buying books: I think a general history would be good, along with maps of the region and maybe a dabble in the more arcane sort of books (if they are available) or a bestiary to clue us in on the centipede and its origins. Asking the man about his travels would be pertinent as well. Maybe inquire about a bank?

After about a hour of conversation, you and Thomas are beginning to form a list of possible books for you to buy.

What did we talk about? What books were listed?

There are hundreds of books in the store. Thomas was asking what you are interested into, and what your skills are. In game terms this means I will give you a rather wide list from which to choose in the next update. There will also be one map or two (one of the kingdom is a given, and you will see the capital there. If you want to buy it, of course)

If you want to suggest a specific book for the list, feel free to do so! I will think about it while writing tomorrow's update. Please no metagaming requests. Uh, I'll add this to the post

If its not too much to ask, could we have a summary of our character Vernydar? Skills we have aquired and an inventory.

Mate, the complete character sheet with all the skills, traits, money, assets and so on , is the second post of the thread. I update it after every post if needed, it's always complete :)

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Can we browse the map books and memorise there contents without buying? Thomas seems friendly enough to let us have a poke around his store. For suggesting books I would like some occult and esoteric titles if we can.

Mate, the complete character sheet with all the skills, traits, money, assets and so on , is the second post of the thread. Always updated too :)

:oops:

Esquilax

Arcane
A) Lie. Fleece the old man for his contacts. We have some knowledge of herbs, so we can at least bullshit him a little.

As for books, occult lore seems a little predictable to me. Then again, knowing what that enormous centipede was could be useful. Ah well, fuck that, let's get some books on wealth, politics and power.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A) Interested in occult lore and history of the old kingdom/the ruins, if there is even such a thing.

Kz3r0

Arcane
B) Do not tell him you are her son, but show curiosity and ask more about her.

I suggest to purchase a book about Heraldry, to know the history and insignia of the most distinguished families in the kingdom, very useful in a feudal society.
About in which direction take the character, being literate is the best way to enter at the service of a noble, so a path of intrigue and backstabbing, I advise against joining the army, that will not make us Knights nor warriors, at the court of a nole we wull get the opportunity to train with sword masters and the like if we wish to learn how to use weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom