Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chimera Demons Logic Puzzle

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Putting this here as I sprung it on my P&P group in our 'Chimera' campaign. Let's see if you are smarter than they are.

Two demons guard a portal. They will allow you to pass if you solve the following puzzle.

Here are the conditions:

1. One demon may only speak the truth; the other may speak the truth or lie. Which is which is a mystery.
2. You may ask only one question, and you may only ask one of the demons.
3. The demon asked must give a direct answer if he can.

To solve the puzzle, you must prove which demon is the truthful one and which is the potential liar.

There are no tricks, lies, or other chicanery in the puzzle itself. It can be solved with a yes/no question of seven words (other types of questions may work; I don't know).

Good luck. PM me if you give up. No one I know has solved it yet.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, this was inspired by Smullyan's work, but it is not a true knights-and-knaves puzzle. In Smullyan's terminology, one demon is a "knight" (may only speak the truth) and the other is "normal" (may lie or tell the truth). Familiarity with knight-knave puzzles should help in nailing down the solution to this one. I never saw this particular puzzle in any of his books, though.

Educated
It's 3 am here so a quick thought before going to bed:
What would the other demon say if asked 'are you the truthful one?'?
Lying would say: 'yes' or 'no', assuming that their lie would have to be a direct opposite of the truth.
Truthful would say: 'yes or no'.

Zombra

Patron
I like the way you think, 27, but a lie doesn't have to be the exact opposite of the truth. If my favorite color is blue, and I lie about it, I don't have to say "orange" (which would be the opposite of blue on a color wheel) - I can lie and say red, yellow, purple, any color but blue. If asked your question, the 'normal' demon could give the same answer as the truthful one.

Alex

Arcane
If you ask "Would the other demon answer my question truthfully", the truth speaking demon won't be able to give a direct answer, since he can't know. But the other will be forced to say either yes or no, since he can give a direct answer.

Edit: Or cast banish on them.

Zombra

Patron
And my solution ...
"Is your answer to this question 'no'?"
Astonishing!

On reflection, the same roblem could be made even simpler* - there don't need to be two demons. There can just be one - either he always tells the truth ... or he doesn't. The critical part is that either way he must answer directly if he can.

*Of course simpler doesn't mean easier!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom