Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Has the KGB drugged Carlsen to make him play sloppily?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I watched the match on VGTV (with Norway's number 2 and 3 players in the studio) live. Now I'm watching it on the state propaganda channel NRK, and it's hillarious to see how cocksure every commenter on the state channel is, especially since Magnus behaved like a spoilt little brat who didn't get his way when he lost.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
This match reflects a good portion of the top-level chess scene these days. Most sharp lines have been analyzed to a definite evaluation and become either a forced draw, flat out bad for one side or simply a dynamic position with good counterplay for black. It's actually really hard to break the equilibrium meaningfully, especially if both players stick to ultra-solid spanish lines. These grinding for small advantages games are sure tiring to watch at some point.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This match was not worthy of a World Champion.
If it wasn't for Karjakin being so defensive himself, I'd root for him now.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Even Kramnik-Leko was p. exciting compared to this.

Kramnik even played Benoni at one point.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Classy finish

dia.jpg

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Least impressive WCM ever. What we got were winning attempts (albeit well executed) in dry positions and miniscule improvements in totally boring spanish lines. I think the main problem was Karjakin's narrow opening repetoire and Carlsen's unwillingness to test his Queen's Indian seriously.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I blame it all on Spaniards. I would have liked to see an upset, but once it went to the rapid playoff, Magnus was all but a lock. He beat Nakamura in blitz on chess.com just a few weeks ago.

I wish Nakamura was in world champion form. What the US needs is a strong contender for WC. I know Caruana converted, but we need a native son that is Japanese being praised by Trump for his intellectual excellence. It would make the circle of crazy complete.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Quite a disappointing match overall but at least the tiebreaks were exciting and the better player won. Would've been pretty lame if Karjakin had managed to defend his way to the title. :p

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
He changed nationality in 2014.
He's still doesn't fit my "Native born son" statement.

I agree, though. He will probably have the best chance of beating Magnus. As long as he stops writing notes to himself like he did a couple of US Championships ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom