Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Chess is banal shit boring. I'd rather play Oblivion.
besttagever.gif

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Can't blame the dude for not wanting to play in Russia. I also think it's going to be very damaging to the sport if FIDE actually forfeits him - again leading to the situation when the strongest player by far isn't champion. I wouldn't be surprised, though, as the newly re-elected FIDE president is a corrupt asshole by all accounts.

It's going to be interesting to see how this develops - Magnus doesn't seem like the type to tell FIDE to suck it and form his own organization, Kasparov-style, but he has refused to participate in the WCC cycle before, so who knows.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
There's nothing really wrong with the venue. The organization is dubious, sure, but that's always to case when you deal with Russians. More importantly, there is simply no alternative.

Maybe Kasparov with his contacts could organize a different match.

Carlsen comes across as an arrogant money grubber. Tbh I think Caruana is already stronger than him atm.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
woman chess championship underway currently, looks like the cute ukrainian just doesn't have the playing strength to defeat the chink

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Hou yifan is quite strong. As for candidates I am rooting for svidler, he is a cool bro.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
While any of the participants can win, I do no think Anand will make it. Lately his form dropped significantly, same for Aronian.

bloodlover

Arcane
Where are you guys watching that? Link please.

edit: nvm found smth but it's not live.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
A Nakamura-Carlsen match would be highly interesting, considering Nakamura's style and opening choices, but it's doubtful he will get that far.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The Women's Championship has gone pretty much as expected - Hou was the heavy favourite and she now only needs 1.5 points from the remaining 4 games. Good for her! :)

The Candidates, on the other hand, is going to be very exciting! If I had to bet, I'd probably bet on Caruana but any one of the participants could win this.

A Nakamura-Carlsen match would be highly interesting, considering Nakamura's style and opening choices, but it's doubtful he will get that far.

Interesting, sure, but Hikaru also has a terrible record against Carlsen (I don't think he's ever beaten Magnus in a classical game) so that match could be rather one-sided.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Nakamura had several winning positions against Carlsen but then somehow he always choked.

Anyway, Anand won already.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
They're going to have a really hard time finding sponsors for a third Carlsen-Anand match, that's for sure! :lol:

That said, there are still 5 rounds to go and 5 players within 1 point so a lot can still happen.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Congrats to Sergej Karjakin. A truly worthy decisive game between him and Caruana. Re4 was a good human move and I bet that Karjakin didn't see Rxd5 beforehand, but out of options he did manage to find it. I feel a bit of pity for Caruana, who might have been a better challenger. It is because I fear Carlsen will simply crush Karjakin, who is tenacious but somewhat lacks a clear positional style.

If anything this tournament showed that the top players are on equal footing.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't stand much of a chance, then again who does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom