Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Well, at the very least he will reign one year.

carlsen10-05.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If Carlsen had not missed the win, he would've done as good as Capablanca in 1921. Though Capablanca was 10 years older at the time.

But ironically, Carlsen is basically a modern version of Lasker. Not bothering too much with openings (he even played a Ponziani a couple of times this year, I also liked how he won some games with King's gambit and Alekhine's defense in important tournaments) but outplaying his opponents in the middlegame and/or endgame.

Not that he is WC, it is not inconceivable that he will achieve the same amount of dominance that Alekhine had in his prime. There's a Elo chasm between him and the number two in the world.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm already looking forward to the Chess "Olympiad". Why the hell do they call it "Olympiad" instead of Olympics anyway? Olympiad was the four year period between two Olympic Games.
Also looking forward to next year's World Championships. Let's hope Magnus gets stronger opposition in that game.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That's really cool for Magnus, he's been a Real fan for a while. :)

So if I want to kick off a Bayern München game, all I need to do is become the World Champion in chess. Nice to have some motivation! :P

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The Candidates Tournament is starting today! :bounce:
There should be live broadcasts on the official site: http://candidates2014.fide.com/

Anybody planning to follow this, what are your predictions? Personally I'm going with the obvious favourites, Kramnik and Aronian - especially the latter has been on a tear recently.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Interesting start to the tournament, to say the least - I'd never have predicted Aronian getting killed by Anand!

we4HAZM.jpg

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
We're almost at the halfway point and there have been some really exciting games thus far - especially Kramnik vs Aronian yesterday was a classic! The standings are also intriguing - while it's still anybody's tournament, the favourites (Kramnik and Aronian) have been a bit inconsistent. I really hope Anand doesn't end up winning it - I don't dislike him, but I don't think another Anand-Carlsen match would be as exciting as, say, Aronian-Carlsen.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aronian wouldn't have much of a chance against Carlsen with his erratic style, imho.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Today's games finished just a moment ago and Anand secured the tournament victory with one round to go. I'm still not super excited to see him get crushed by Magnus again, but maybe he'll put up more of a fight this time if he's motivated (which he seems to be). I also can't really disagree with the fact that Vishy deserved to win this tournament with the way everyone else has been blundering left and right. :P

octavius

Arcane
Patron
<groan> Another tournament where the "Tiger from Madras" tries to defend his way to victory over Magnus? I've only seen Anand in his matches against Magnus the past year, and most of the games were as exciting as a game with Tigran Petrosian playing black...
When you don't even try to win, you don't even deserve to play in the title match, IMO.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

I had to pull this mate off once on the board, and once in online blitz. It is not that hard.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Apparently the B+N vs K happens in about 1 game out of 6000, so I can't really blame most people for not bothering to learn it (I don't think I could pull it off it I had to do it right now) - extremely embarrassing for the women's WC to not know it, though. Someone of her strength should probably even be able to figure it out OTB - she had plenty of time to do it too.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
I hope Caruana qualifies for the next Candidates Tournament - him vs Carlsen could be quite a fun match! :)

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Chess is banal shit boring. I'd rather play Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom