Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Check out Neal Hallford's Betrayal at Krondor: Remastered Tech Demo

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Betrayal at Krondor; Neal Hallford

Three years after his unsuccessful 2012-2013 Kickstarter forays, Betrayal at Krondor writer and co-creator Neal Hallford has resurfaced with a new project. He's decided to teach himself to develop with Amazon's new CryEngine-based Amazon Lumberyard engine, by creating a remake of a small portion of Betrayal at Krondor which he's calling Betrayal at Krondor: Remastered. The ultimate objective, of course, is to use that knowledge to create an RPG of his own at some point. But for now, he's going to be publishing regular development updates for the remastered Krondor. The first one just showed up on YouTube:

We'll be keeping an eye on this project. More information is available on Neal's new blog, where he's also been publishing a fascinating series of posts about the history of Betrayal at Krondor's development. Definitely check that out if you're a fan of the game - Neal's writing talent has not diminished.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Cool stuff, but I would definitely remove the upper part of the UI and decrease its size. Yeah, I know it was like this back then, but was mostly due to technological limitations.

Blocking the sky is really claustrophobic and dampers the whole "walking thought the countryside" theme... you can be faithful just doing something like this:

OIO15dV.jpg

Neanderthal

Arcane
Think all o chapter 1 might be a bit big to pull off, perhaps stick to western part o Kingdom o Isles? Looks a bit barren for Kingdom an all, too much sand, not enough dark mud an green grass.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Think all o chapter 1 might be a bit big to pull off, perhaps stick to western part o Kingdom o Isles? Looks a bit barren for Kingdom an all, too much sand, not enough dark mud an green grass.

I don't think he's going to make the entire map ("first zone").

Xenich

Cipher
Cool stuff, but I would definitely remove the upper part of the UI and decrease its size. Yeah, I know it was like this back then, but was mostly due to technological limitations.

Blocking the sky is really claustrophobic and dampers the whole "walking thought the countryside" theme... you can be faithful just doing something like this:

I don't know... I don't seem to get that feeling. I can see where you are coming from, but for me, I like the constrained window. I used to be all about "openness, openness! OPENNESS!" over the years, but I have come to miss the closed window containment of the older games where your view is a "element" of the UI, not the entire purpose of play. /shrug

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
lol'd when Neal popped up.

Looks like he's taking great first steps.
Never heard of Amazon's engine before but it looks 'ait.

Severian Silk

Yeah, he needs to modernize that interface.

OIO15dV.jpg

sstacks

Arcane
Neal's a friend of the show, he's one of my favorite people to chat with. I just had him and his wife Jana on talking about their horror film The Case of Evil, and he's coming on in April (not sure which Saturday yet) to talk about his Betrayal at Krondor "remastering" in Lumberyard and hopefully he'll spin some yarns about the original BAK development.

Severian Silk

Too bad he doesn't have the original actor photos. Would some other person maybe have them in their files?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

OIO15dV.jpg
I guess he's using prefab assets for this? Thing needs a proper road.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Too bad he doesn't have the original actor photos. Would some other person maybe have them in their files?

I talked to Dale Tendick, the guy who shot the original portraits, but unfortunately he didn't have the negatives or prints. All of that was property of Dynamix, and by extension, Sierra Online, so it went to them after Dynamix folded. There's a team of guys who are working on a book about the Art of Sierra Online, and they're been digging for stuff on other projects, but so far no sign of the original character photos. Wish I had them.

nealiios

Arcane
Developer

OIO15dV.jpg
I guess he's using prefab assets for this? Thing needs a proper road.

Not a pre-fab. Just something I whipped together in like five minutes. Seriously. This was just for demo purposes so that Owyn wouldn't be standing in front of a big grid. :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
No need to spend so much time on a road when you have a whole remaster to make.

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Someone posted about Amazon's Lumberyard on ITS forums recently, in a thread about Colony Ship engine choice. I've been curious about it ever since. Nice to see things are getting done with it, definitely following the project. Please be generous on tech details =)

nealiios

Arcane
Developer
Someone posted about Amazon's Lumberyard on ITS forums recently, in a thread about Colony Ship engine choice. I've been curious about it ever since. Nice to see things are getting done with it, definitely following the project. Please be generous on tech details =)

Hey Nick. Will do my best. This week I'm learning how to import FBX files using their new FBX importer. Since I'm doing all my modeling in Blender (and I'm anything but an expert in this particular sub-category), this is all new territory, so I want to make sure I'm doing it the RIGHT way before I try to tell anyone else. :) But once I've got it, will definitely include it as part of the next video on the puzzle chests. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom