Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Designer Yoshitaka Tamaki

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yoshitaka Tamaki was a character designer for a number of Japanese RPGs, especially with Climax, the company responsible for the Shining Force and Landstalker games. It's hard to find much information about him, but his work is immediately recognizable - his characters clearly come from similar molds and often feature human/animal hybrids. He's probably my favorite character designer and I thought it would be cool to share some of his work.

Shining in the Darkness

Yoshitaka Tamaki's work on Shining in the Darkness was light-hearted and charming, a look that characterized his designs with Climax on the Shining and Landstalker series. It introduced a lot of the artistic concepts and recurring imagery of later games, like the general appearance of Shining heroes and the human/animals that appear again. The hero, Pyra, Mylo and other characters all serve as the archetypes for later characters and a handful even return - Darksol and Byron in Shining Force, Pyra in Time Stalkers.

vHUhb0P.png

vZQWSzM.jpg

PVf5e9Q.jpg

7S2iu8x.jpg

eXiO1Ni.jpg

SuJfJfM.jpg

aGVFyA3.jpg

PEo4BdS.gif

Shining Force

Yoshitaka Tamaki continued working with Climax on Shining Force. His designs maintain the same feel, built on patterns established in Shining in the Darkness, but with more adult-like proportions. Notice the similarities between the characters and especially the protagonists of the two games. He didn't work on any other games in the Shining Force Series (Shining Force II, Gaiden, CD, III) but future games definitely modeled their designs after his characters.

Mwe22lk.jpg

My3DM8y.jpg

SotE01e.jpg

I1qbo9p.jpg

ZqtbXTv.jpg

6sJ7atu.jpg

butA8JX.jpg

mltdnCQ.jpg

0HNGd0b.jpg

VbJsZyC.jpg

IPPrcgS.jpg

GAXvprm.jpg

WKelBUl.jpg

TszWTcI.jpg

2i44DMI.jpg

f6r708E.jpg

ABzVxqV.jpg

GsqRI2S.jpg

rVSaYnB.jpg

okhh4HM.jpg

jLBdXA6.jpg

03pMs3V.jpg

Fangs: The Saga of Wolf Blood

I really don't know too much about this game! Apparently it was an Enix RPG released in 1991 for the PC-88. There's very little information on it in English, but I immediately recognized Yoshitaka Tamaki's art. The protagonist looks like a mix of Max's promoted form from Shining Force and Ain Macdougal from FEDA: Emblem of Justice.

PwQeSuB.jpg

jUi8DCo.png

ARPizeS.jpg

Landstalker and Ladystalker

Landstalker and Ladystalker were isometric action RPG platformers made by Climax for the Genesis and SNES. Yoshitaka Tamaki's work on the games is similar to his artwork from Shining in the Darkness - very emotive faces and slightly more exaggerated proportions than Shining Force and FEDA: Emblem of Justice. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to find images from Ladystalker, which was only released in Japan. Let me know if you've got any!

xmklv4u.png

OEN6U5S.gif

R3K8xq7.gif

igL6IwN.jpg

mFwGmJF.jpg

PZNaGnl.jpg

VeiP7fp.jpg

oAS0WFJ.jpg

Q1MMCxj.png

dxnqJ2x.jpg

5tLlU8o.jpg

An4aXur.jpg

SsCyCD7.jpg

FKcFltO.jpg

AGJE7Yu.jpg

Alundra

Yoshitaka Tamaki's work on Alundra, while not as mature as his work on Fangs: The Saga of Wolf Blood or FEDA: Emblem of Justice, is significantly less cartoonish than his Shining work. The protagonist Alundra is definitely in the mold of his earlier character Nigel from Landstalker. Alundra was developed by Matrix, a company started by former Climax employees.

6Ew5wDj.png

mqoXPoB.jpg

PVJLVgK.png

tsnrWmH.jpg

yi5c2jz.jpg

CpXndzO.jpg

E3iLgNH.jpg

fhpu7HS.jpg

k3l4G2l.jpg

jgFzQIc.jpg

K6XYKrA.jpg

yIS2AxA.jpg

FEDA: The Emblem of Justice

After Shining Force, several Climax employees left the company and formed their own, Max Entertainment, bringing Yoshitaka Tamaki with them. Their first (??) game was FEDA: The Emblem of Justice, a Shining Force-style SRPG for the Super Nintendo. While not quite as good as Shining Force, Yoshitaka Tamaki's character designs are some of his best and my personal favorites. While the designs aren't necessarily more realistic than his other work (look at their proportions, all those characters have to be 7 feet tall minimum), they're definitely his grittiest. You also get great, up-close views of them during battle when they perform special attacks, something games like Shining Force and Fire Emblem didn't do.

FEDA was remade for the Saturn and also had a sequel on the Playstation. I'm not sure if he was involved in either of these games. Quite a few characters look like they could have been designed by him, but they were also drawn much differently. I'm not sure, let me know if you have any idea!

03VZCTV.jpg

IfLtgH4.jpg

Chn1BTC.gif

vHv6YqV.png

xxFAVBE.jpg

vDx1w4t.jpg

x0ENBXt.jpg

oU1qrNp.png

Shining Soul and Shining Soul II

Yoshitaka Tamaki worked with Climax again on the Game Boy Advance titles Shining Soul and Shining Soul II, action RPGs that take place in the Shining Universe. Although the characters he designed are distinguishably his, they were drawn in a different style than his earlier work and are somewhat less charming to me.

KPSAoHq.jpg

uYYoEhP.jpg

kL1wVI7.jpg

8HvJEph.jpg

qJtzGuO.jpg

0lKU4Aq.jpg

X9wrjxW.jpg

TMqmlHH.jpg

mm63o3l.jpg

rIJWBcF.jpg

zTsC7B5.jpg

07yrlDR.jpg

CzAtPer.jpg

3eI1fBF.jpg

UmsbFUf.jpg

uXrWieg.jpg

JR1n9sG.jpg

bk4gTkZ.jpg

7UdLmB5.jpg

poxMBi2.jpg

xnZNH8i.jpg

zE9ax8I.jpg

VujzTxe.jpg

I'm not too sure what else he's worked on, but I'm sure there's more of it. If you've got any of his artwork, let me know. Anyway, I thought it would be cool to share one of my favorite character designers.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wiki says he worked as the monster designer for Shining Force Neo as well, dunno about EXA, (though tbh I wouldn't be surprised if he had a lot of influence on character design in both games as well, given the number of beastmen running around in those games.)

ShiningForceNeo_02.jpg

I must have murdered hundred's of that guy's race just before meeting him. :lol:

index.php

Arcane

Yoshitaka Tamaki passed away from lung cancer on July 13, 2023. He had been under medical care in accordance with his wish to continue working until the end, but he never returned home. The funeral service was held only with his next of kin. I hope that the work that he devoted his life to as a game creator will always be remembered.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This saddens me like you wouldn't believe. His art played a core part in my childhood. I'd even argue his work was as iconic and capable as Akira Toriyama, but he just never had a shonen series to signal boost his work.

You guys should play Alundra if you haven't. It often gets compared to Zelda, but I personally enjoyed it much more than any game in that series. It's far more mature, and has a dark fairytale fantasy aesthetic.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RIP. Talented artist.

I don't know how known FEDA is, but I have fond memories of it. His other stuff is also great. What a sad way to go at 55.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom