Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Chaos Reborn - remake of Julian Gollop classic

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reminds me of the time where I nearly beat a guy with nothing but them shadow trees. Nearly, because I managed to close into him at end of turn 20. :negative:

Monocause

Arcane
Soooo...this any good?

Yep. It's not a game you'll lose sleep over, but I found it's becoming a permanent fixture on my installed steam games list and I dive in for a few matches every now and then and it's perfect for that kind of thing.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Really good for its niche as long as you don't expect anything world shattering.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So how is this games multiplayer? Any form of persistency in your armies/decks or?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any form of persistency in your armies/decks or?
What do you mean?

The type of the deck you get depends on your staff, which is random in Classic mode. There is Equipped mode where you get to equip staff/bodygear/talismans and customize what you get to an extent.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What do you mean?

The type of the deck you get depends on your staff, which is random in Classic mode. There is Equipped mode where you get to equip staff/bodygear/talismans and customize what you get to an extent.
Well I was wondering if you got some kind of wizard levels which unlocked new spells and summons out of which you picked a loadout. But you make it sounds like its random?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean?

Well I was wondering if you got some kind of wizard levels which unlocked new spells and summons out of which you picked a loadout. But you make it sounds like its random?
Fuck off you progression whore.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is it possible to create new characters for single player campaign?
Or am I stuck with my initial choices (in my case vigilant type bodygear and chaos type staff)?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean?

I'm not generally a progression whore, but I desperately want to find a multiplayer game that could scratch the same league based itch as blood bowl.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, there's a season league, both for classic and for equiped mode that you can climb and of course in equiped mode you unlock different staffs, talismans and shit that you can use to customize your mage to better fit a different type of deck. You don't get to unlock or choose your spells (aside from the megaspell I guess) but you can "improve" your style of play.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The loadout is random, yes.

If you play Equipped, you select a staff (of undead, of armory etc), and get a deck which has more cards of the type related to the staff than other decks. Undead staves usually have more undead in the deck (though the correct way of phrasing that would be to say they have higher chances for undead cards), marksmanship staves have more ranged units, armory staves have more weapons etc. You can further customize it by binding certain spells to your talismans and guaranteeing that you'll have them in your deck, if not in your hand. For example, I often bind an elf (ranged unit) to have an easier time controlling the field.

There are other talismans that give passive bonuses to your creatures, or that give you mana depending on certain conditions (turns passed, alignment shifts, illusions dispelled etc), or those that grant your wizard special abilities (increased spell range, increased movement, flight, omnidirectional attacks). It is somewhat limited, though.

There is no difference between a high level wizard and a low level wizard in terms of strength, though. It is generally considered 'grindy' and that puts people off.

Try the demo. It's free.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Tried the demo a few weeks ago. It was okay but nothing I'd rush out to buy. Seems somewhat barebones.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean?

I'm not generally a progression whore, but I desperately want to find a multiplayer game that could scratch the same league based itch as blood bowl.
Try Duelyst.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Single player campaign was released today through a patch. I'm dumb. Anyone here played the single player campaign yet?

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I'm glad I've watched a shitton of Gollop interviews/ joint let's plays of this before playing, otherwise my frustration levels would be catastrophic. He explains the philosophy of this game quite well. Basically don't play this game if you don't know what "probability" and "randomness" truly means. It often means that even though it's a 70% to succeed, there's still that pesky 30% chance of failure. It's not pseudo-random so you can potentially get several 90-percent spells fail in a row (though the chance of that is extremely low). Basically this game's all about risk management. One good piece of advice would be to never subject your wizard to any real danger, because then even a lucky hit by a lowly rat can end a long and sweaty match.
Oh and btw this game's awesome, get it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Basically don't play this game if you don't know what "probability" and "randomness" truly means. It often means that even though it's a 70% to succeed, there's still that pesky 30% chance of failure. It's not pseudo-random so you can potentially get several 90-percent spells fail in a row (though the chance of that is extremely low).

Do you know what these terms mean?

Also when you run 6 normal dices and discard two lowest what's probability of getting 20 and higher?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Basically don't play this game if you don't know what "probability" and "randomness" truly means. It often means that even though it's a 70% to succeed, there's still that pesky 30% chance of failure. It's not pseudo-random so you can potentially get several 90-percent spells fail in a row (though the chance of that is extremely low).

Also when you run 6 normal dices and discard two lowest what's probability of getting 20 and higher?
For the curious ones
http://www.redblobgames.com/articles/probability/damage-rolls.html

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

For the curious ones
http://www.redblobgames.com/articles/probability/damage-rolls.html
C'mon you should give him a chance to prove he knows probability.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
There is also "law" -mode for those who are allergic to randomness.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/319050/announcements/detail/799768725479432089
Version 1.8 of Chaos Reborn has been released today, and it includes a whole new way to play the game known as 'Law Mode' - with significantly reduced RNG elements. In this mode spells are cast by spending mana and creatures have hit points. Damage is inflicted based on the ratio of attack to defence. Spell decks are still built randomly, although under the influence of staffs and talismans in equipped mode, as usual.

I prefer RNG.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane

I didn't mean to imply I know the science of probability in any detail. I know there are several types, and that standard probability is the number of times you're getting a certain result divided by the total number of outcomes. But I was actually not talking about that, I was saying that psychologically, for most people it seems, a 70% chance of success seems like almost guaranteed success due to the relatively high probability of it, where in fact, the probability of failure is just as real. Perhaps people (including myself) have been spoiled by games employing success-centric pseudo-randomness, where the probability of success increases with each failed try. Hence the number of raging reviews saying the game cheats/ is unfair /is rage-inducing (the latter can be true occasionally). I'm not sure I explained myself clearly enough but fuck it.

As for your problem, sorry, seems I'm too dumb to be able to properly solve it. All I know is that getting 21 is about the highest probability, diminishing in the directions of both 6 and 36. But I've no idea what effect discarding the two lowest dice can have. I guess it would decrease the chance of getting over 20 by a small margin? I'd be interested to know the answer though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom