Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chaos Chronicles, Turn-based Fantasy RPG Announced

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: bitComposer; Chaos Chronicles; Coreplay

The success of Jagged Alliance: Back in Action (so it has been successful, really?) has apparently prompted Coreplay and bitComposer to announce Chaos Chronicles, a turn- and party-based fantasy RPG. The information is scarce at this point, but there is a press release and an official product page, describing this game as a return of "classic" role-playing games:

The classic role-playing game is coming out in 2013 for Windows PC

Eschborn, August 13, 2012: bitComposer Games is announcing Chaos Chronicles, a classic, turn-based role-playing game (RPG) for the coming year 2013. The game is being developed by the Munich-based studio Coreplay, which was also responsible for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. The fantasy RPG will be available for (Windows) PC.

Chaos Chronicles leads PC gamers into a lost empire full of legends, thrilling adventures, and dangerous opponents. Players can explore numerous ancient ruins, mystical places, and mysterious dungeons alone or in a group of up to five players. Chaos Chronicles unites the typical characteristics of classic turn-based role-playing games with modern graphics and a gripping atmosphere. The sophisticated gameplay will captivate veterans of the genre as well as newcomers.

KEY FEATURES
  • Back to the roots! Chaos Chronicles offers a turn-based fighting system that will put a smile on the face of every fan of traditional RPGs.
  • Shoulder to shoulder! Up to five players can join forces to play through the complete campaign
  • Lush graphics meet old-school feeling! Chaos Chronicles combines a lavish look with the dense atmosphere of the Dungeon Crawlers of old.
  • Wanted: A new hero! A comprehensive character editor ensures that every player can build his very own hero.
  • Travelling becomes retro-epic!
    - A world map allows travelling like in good old times, as role playing games were still role playing games
    - Random fights boost the excitement: Will the goal be reached or will you be involved in a thrilling fight?​
  • Out-of-game online features! Players can meet up via social media platforms.
  • Everyone can join! The flexible experience level system allows rookies to explore the world of Chaos Chronicles alongside experienced players.
So is this going to be co-op or what? In any case, there are also some screenshots available at Gamebanshee if you want to take a peek.

Spotted at Gamebanshee

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Look at the home page, the first word is:

DESCIRPTION

Then look at the release date: 12/31/9998

Finally, Back in Action is not the best way to introduce yourself.

All in all, I'll watch this one, but for now my hopes are quite low.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Every time somebody writes about uniting the best of "traditional RPGs" and "lush graphics and a gripping atmosphere of modern games", I read it like this:
chAOS CHronICLeS UNiteS tHe tYpiCAL chARacterIStICS oF CLasSic tURn-BAseD roLE-PLAYinG GAmEs witH moDERn GRaPhics and a gRIpPinG ATMosPHErE. THE SOPHIstiCATED gamEpLay WIll CAPtiVate VETErANs oF THE genRE As WeLL AS neWCoMErs.
yes sir I'm sure you have the right idea and will manage to combine the best aspects of an old-fashioned sail-powered leisure cruise and a jet-powered hi-tech immersively intense ride across the Atlantic in 2 hours, please release my wrist from your unexpectedly strong grip and excuse me i really have to be going now

Gwendo

Augur
So, they butchered JA because turn-based combat is outdated and no one plays it anymore.

Now they come up with a "turn-based fighting system that will put a smile on the face of every fan of traditional RPGs"?

WTF didn't you use the turn-based fighting system of Jagged Alliance which put a smile on the face of every JA fan?!

Morkar Left

Was optimistically interested besides BiA and a generic sounding title till I read "alone or in a group of up to five players." They are really trying to prevent any sympathy for them.

Kjujik

Educated
So, they butchered JA because turn-based combat is outdated and no one plays it anymore.

Now they come up with a "turn-based fighting system that will put a smile on the face of every fan of traditional RPGs"?

It’s just a wild guess but maybe they meant “turn based” à la Baldur’s Gate or NWN. So hidden rolls (in turns) plus active pause and the external appearance of real time combat. That would definitely put a smile on my face. Smile accompanied by laugh at such ridiculous misconceptions.

Hopefully I’m wrong and they will do it the right way. But given their track record one can expect the worst.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow, the official website is going very well...

Anyway, is not like I'm forced to buy every "RPG" that comes out even if its shit, so I can only view this as good news. Also, this is intriguing:

Random fights boost the excitement: Will the goal be reached or will you be involved in a thrilling fight?

What you mean the goal being reached while I'm on a fight? Can the game be a series of short online games where players compete against each other?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If only JA:BIA had been named Commandos 4 and included all the features they later added in the patches at launch instead.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The "up to five players" and "social features" baffle me. Do they really think that is something old-school gamers are interested in?
Apart from that the description sounds promising. I'll keep an eye on this game, it might turn out good.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Isn't their recent backpedalling in BiA's patches a good sign though ?
I mean, maybe they learnt something...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
yes very nice to hear that so are we talking kotc classic or the avadon kind of classic

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds to me like the Drop In Battles from the newer Total War games, where before a battle in the single player campaign you can choose to have the enemy army be commanded by a random player who's online. It's single player but if you want you can invite someone to play in a battle.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Screenshots are really purrty. Remind me of Infinity Engine and TOEE, which is a very good thing.

Durwyn

Prophet
First game that looks on par with the 2d graphics, I must admit. Fapping is only being restrained by social elements and rather unclear definition of gameplay. Too much PR buzz words and too few simple descriptions.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It feels like some sort of cruel hoax.

"want an old school turn based game that looks like ToEE? Well gee... IT WORKZ! see ya 9998 hahahaha"

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
bitcomposer, aren't they like eastern european or something?
screenshots looks nice but, like, characters, dialog... how will they ever succeed with that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom