Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Chaos Chronicles Developer Blog: Sound Design

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
BTW HobGoblin42, one thing that I would really like to know is how you're handling magic items. Not how rare they are, but how you make them? In 3.5 and in most modern games, tiers are used where it's +1, +2, +3, +4 or something like that, and I really hate that system. I much prefer the olden days like BG2, Wizardry and so on where magic items where unique and had unique effects (like chance to stun, cleave, unique active abilities, unique bonuses to stats, that kind of stuff) so that each magic item feels special and has a history. Also, so choices between different items aren't binary questions of "hmm... do I want a bonus to armor or fortitude saves" but can become true choices between two items with very different capabilities.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
BTW HobGoblin42, one thing that I would really like to know is how you're handling magic items. Not how rare they are, but how you make them? In 3.5 and in most modern games, tiers are used where it's +1, +2, +3, +4 or something like that, and I really hate that system. I much prefer the olden days like BG2, Wizardry and so on where magic items where unique and had unique effects (like chance to stun, cleave, unique active abilities, unique bonuses to stats, that kind of stuff) so that each magic item feels special and has a history. Also, so choices between different items aren't binary questions of "hmm... do I want a bonus to armor or fortitude saves" but can become true choices between two items with very different capabilities.

We haven't completed all magical items yet, but I can say that we have all kinds of abilities on those items. D&D doesn't offer the easy way as standard MMORPG/Diablo use to create special item abilities like +50 Armor or +30% Attack. So, we had to find different approaches to give all those items small but meaningful powers. Just two examples: "Ring of the Beast" gives your warrior a bonus on 'Charge', the "Warrior's Necklace of Agility" adds another AOO per turn.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just to take this out of the way, Lilarcor Sword is the best magic item ever made.

His brother was a +12 Hackmaster though, so he had stared in the face of tier-systems long before they became popular. Sort of a hipster-sword, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom