Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Chaos Chronicles Developer Blog: Sound Design

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Nov 9, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff Patron

VentilatorOfDoom
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Chaos Chronicles; Coreplay

There's another developer blog update on the Chaos Chronicles site, this time covering sound design.
    Kz3r0 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  2. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    Codex 2013
    No, not yet. We are totally busy with the development. Even this blog post has been written by our producer because our devs don't have time for that ATM.
    ^ Top  
  3. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Oh hell, I dind't have the codecs to play the audio files, had to download Vorbis codecs... Really, was it needed to use a non-standard codec to compress a 1 sec audio file? o_O

Regardless, great to see you guys paying such attention to details, you can feel the love behind this project. :)
    ^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Is not like I'm running a regular pc with only Media Player; I work as a video editor, got Avid, Premiere, Final Cut and a shit load of codec here, but I always used Media Player Classic and never had any trouble... funny that after all these years I get a "no codec" from a .wav preview of a inventory sound. :P
    ^ Top  
  5. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    Codex 2013
    In fact, this was a mistake by us. The sound files are not in .WAV format, but we use this extension because of our assert management system.
    ^ Top  
  6. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    They make a good point about sound design and how even the shortest sound samples can amplify the mood when used in a certain situation. The infinity engines were also good about this. Each time items were shuffled around you could hear distinctive sfx.

Also when clicked the link I expected some audio samples. I am very disapoint.
    ^ Top  
  7. crafthack Educated

crafthack
    are you kidding, use cccp
    ^ Top  
  8. golgepapaz Savant Patron

golgepapaz
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    What sound files? I didn't see any. Iam confused
    ^ Top  
  9. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    BTW, I just noted, is this a sneak peak at CC actual inventory?

[​IMG]

Looking good. What's the slot beneath the boots?
    ^ Top  
  10. Dorateen Erudite

Dorateen
    I really like this approach. Marketing is important, and of course it's fun to see the updates. But with this scale project, I feel confident you folks are making the best use of your resources.
    ^ Top  
  11. EG Nullified

EG
    Stilts?
    ^ Top  
  12. Dorateen Erudite

Dorateen
    Crutches. This is gonna be some unforgiving combat.
    DwarvenFood and felipepepe Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  13. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    Codex 2013
    This is the slot to drop stuff from the inventory. But this whole structure and the interface graphics are still work in progress.
    ^ Top  
  14. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    Is there anything to criticize with this game? I don't see right now.

I like the attention to detail here, because I'm myself a great inventory whore, and spend a large portion of play time in inventory screens.

I think by playing and studying the great games of the past one can learn what made them so special that they eventually became part of our lifes. The interfaces / inventories were extremely important! For such JA2 1.13 and Wizardry 8 are my top references. Ultima Underworld was also ok, as was Arcanum (with some restrictions). I also remember that I spent a great time in Ultima VII dressing my characters, like a little girl dressing dolls :lol: And while flawed in many areas, Morrowind had some nice ideas about the interface.

An important aspect of the games I listed (Ultima UW, JA2, Wizardry 8, .. ) is consistency. Look at separate parts of the interface, it always fits together.

Having a variety of sounds for different actions is of course a great thing. In fact all great games have done that since a long, long time ago ( in a 20 year old game like Ultima UW if you use an apple, you hear someone biting an apple, etc. ). So yeah if you already realize this, go with it!

When thinking about rpg's I get other crazy ideas, for example animated inventory items - or even inventory items that "live" and can be interacted with - think of something like a Djinn in a bottle that talks to you and turns into a quest giver / NPC.

The ideal game for me has a reactive interface where party members occasionally talk (Sirtech games, Wiz 8 and JA2), and inventories / items have a unique, interesting look. In a great game there's lots of small detail, and it's both a question of quantity AND quality, so simply recording hundreds of sound files may not do, they need to have some meaning and quality too. But if you succeed in all these areas you have a game that is loved for many years to come, at least by ppl like me.
    JarlFrank and Grunker Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  15. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Bear in mind I'm extremely positive about this game, but there is always stuff to criticize:

1) Rotating 3D camera. It remains to be seen whether they can make this work as well as a fixed camera angle. If they do, it would be a first.

2) No multiclassing (though prestige classes are reportedly in).

Aaaaaand that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

By the way, HobGoblin42, how are you handling this? You've said you have a "blocky" interface rather than NWN and ToEE's awful, awful "stringy", floating one. But do we have character portraits and stuff like that in the interface?

Would be cool if we had.
    ^ Top  
  16. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    Codex 2013
    We haven't finally decided about the interface style yet (we use to do this very close before Beta), but there will be portraits of your character on the screen. There will be a combat/event log with details about attacks, spells, traps and story events.
    The initiative list will be very similar to ToEE: small portraits at the top of the screen.
    Our inventory is a classical drag&drop system, but limited the body slots to the absolute minimum (1 ring slot, necklave, ranged weapon, ammunition, primary weapon, secondary, boots, cape/cloak, gloves, helmet, body armor).
    ^ Top  
  17. hoverdog dog that is hovering

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    Just don't make the character portraits like in JA: Fag in Action, please, please, PLEEEEAAAAASEEEE

You would make Shadow sad [​IMG]
    catfood and Surf Solar Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  18. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Or at the very least allow us to import our own portraits. Everyone uses the IWD ones anyway.
    ^ Top  
  19. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    Or in other words, please don't fuck this up, what you have looks really good :lol:

I agree but with a 3D engine this is the price you pay. A lot of good games are ruined by camera problems, think of Silent Storm. A 2D camera with fixed angles that always work is a million times better than rotating cameras, but I could learn to live with it.

The question is rather, can they provide us ancient folk with a fixed angle via program options?
    ^ Top  
  20. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Or do portraits even better than IWD ones and be forever inserted into every cRPG forum gallery and every cRPG player heart. :D
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank Medieval Barbarian Patron

JarlFrank
    Aww, I love huge amounts of slots like in Morrowind. Too bad no game is ever going to be like MW and Daggerfall in this respect ever again. :(
    Grunker Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  22. HobGoblin42 Developer Patron

HobGoblin42
    Codex 2013
    @Jarl: don't forget that you have to control up to 6 character inventories in Chaos Chronicles. So in total you have more slots to manage than in Morrowind or Daggerfall (which had only one single player character).
    felipepepe Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    He does have a point, you know. :lol:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)