Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Changed your mind on TES4?

sheek

Arbiter
I watched some videos and I have to say Oblivion looks a lot better than I expected. Not GOTY or anything but fun if you've got a PC that can run it. Lots of bugs (crabs with lockpicks, broken quests) and RAI/Physics doesn't look like anything special, but I'm not going to hate on it, I would get it if I could.

Anybody else changed their mind?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm not aware that anyone here ever actually said that Oblivion wouldn't be fun...

The current influx of visitors don't seem to be aware that we look at games here from an RPG angle. We don't care how life-like the water is or how big your hard on is because you can kill stuff with magic. What we care about is whether the game actually has any real choice and consequence to warrant its RPG title.

So far, all the reviews from people who've played it have said "The combat is fun" and "The water looks really great!". They're hardly things that can be used to explain whether Oblivion is any good as a role-playing game. All they could mean is that Oblivion is little more than an upgraded version of Whack-a-Mole. A fun version of Whack-a-Mole perhaps but not an RPG.

sheek

Arbiter
Bad things I've noticed:

- combat animations aren't very good
- you enter a room like a tavern and all the NPCs turn around and look at you, or walk around idiotically in circles (like Morrowind)
- persuasion is still really dumb (maybe mods will be able to ignore it/have conversation-based persuasion)
- too much crap loot including lockpicks pretty much anywhere
- voice-talking NPCs you want to bash for being so whiny
- some really dumb quests

DarkUnderlord said:
I'm not aware that anyone here ever actually said that Oblivion wouldn't be fun...

The current influx of visitors don't seem to be aware that we look at games here from an RPG angle. We don't care how life-like the water is or how big your hard on is because you can kill stuff with magic. What we care about is whether the game actually has any real choice and consequence to warrant its RPG title.

So far, all the reviews from people who've played it have said "The combat is fun" and "The water looks really great!". They're hardly things that can be . used to explain whether Oblivion is any good as a role-playing game. All they could mean is that Oblivion is little more than an upgraded version of Whack-a-Mole. A fun version of Whack-a-Mole perhaps but not an RPG.

Yeah I agree, Oblivion shouldn't be in the RPG discussion forum. But I disagree with you, some of the people on here are bashing Oblivion just for being Oblivion, saying it's a bad game (or people who like it are retarded). That is going too far.

Zomg

Arbiter
Keep in mind that the Oblivion hype drumbeat has been going on for months, and months, and months. Most of the actually funny or insightful criticism of the game here was timed to peak a month or two before the original release date - the Oblivion memes have been running on fumes, annoying graphical bullshit and ingratiating newbie, "I hate it too!" posts for fucking months now, even as more and more and more TES forum semihumans (and a few good people, to be square) have poured into the forums and gummed up the ecosystem.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... owforum=23

This has crushed my dreams. I cant even figure out how to take a dang screenshot.. (print screen/paste isnt working..) The environment look like crap. The models look awesome, and right when you leave the sewers the other side of the lake.. It looks SOO untextured. Like if setting were on minimal. Until I get close it look like crap. This is NOT how it looked in the video(s). Is there any way to change this? Help..
Everything, with the exception of the menus is white. My video settings are all low/normal and I have an ATI 9600Pro. If anyone can help me, I would be SUPER appreciative.

I'm running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2, a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 and 512 Mb of RAM.

I have updated my drivers already.
I have the same card, 1 gig of ram, and the same problem. I've tried updating the drivers and turning down the settings and have had no success.

To be more specific, the objects appear and moving around isn't difficult, but everything is very very very white. There are shadows on the cup, table, and stool which I can see very clearly, and everything appears to be working fine.

Another issue- when I try to change the graphical options in game it crashes to the desktop when I hit the button to accept the changes.
I have exactly the same problem - I call it White Christmas. Everything, but the menus, is white, if I try to change any video setting, the game crashes to the desktop.

I ordered a supercomputer from NASA, which should arrive in a few days. Hopefully that would make it playable.

Tintin

Arbiter
I had the whiteness problem with Morrowind too. Back then it was an install problem with textures or something. When I reinstalled it there wasn't a problem. But, that probably wouldn't work here.

Micmu

Magister
I HATE having to press tab and switch between the archaic icons that don't really represent anything with NO tooltips to tell me what Im looking at. It honestly actually took me a bit of time to open my inventory. I even read the instructions. To get to your inventory, you have to press TAB to get into the stats screen, then click over to the icon telling you which weapon you have equipped. Because no interface is ever like this, I didn't figure it out right away. CANT I PLEASE JUST PRESS "I" ?!?!?

It would have been easier if they actually used text, but they use really stupid icons.

Oh yeah, MASSIVE xboxsized text is disgusting too.
If you dont have the game, you don't even realize how much time you spend within the menus and scrolling around becasue the text is so huge. There is so much retarded clicking around that is completely unnecessary and could be avoided with something as simple as hotkeys. Bethesda was lazy, I highly doubt it would take much time at all to simply optimize the interface for the PC.

Venom

Scholar
I have a feeling that many people are going to change their minds when they finally play Oblivion.

So far, all the quests I've done where all amazing and never ended like they were supposed to be.

You really feel like you are doing whatever you want.

And many people here expected crap NPC dialogue and they were all wrong. Dialogue is great.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Venom said:
And many people here expected crap NPC dialogue and they were all wrong. Dialogue is great.
Of course they are. Examples please. Shouldn't be a problem for you to post a few screens, should it?

Venom

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Venom said:
Of course they are. Examples please. Shouldn't be a problem for you to post a few screens, should it?
Can't post screenshots I got the 360 version.

But here's the deal.

In Morrowind, the NPCs were little walking sticks who all had the same dialogue and lines.

In Oblivion, no NPC say the same thing, and you have actual questions and answers instead of the same lines over and over.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Venom said:
Vault Dweller said:
Venom said:
Can't post screenshots I got the 360 version.

But here's the deal.

In Morrowind, the NPCs were little walking sticks who all had the same dialogue and lines.

In Oblivion, no NPC say the same thing, and you have actual questions and answers instead of the same lines over and over.
That much has been known for a long time. When dialogues were criticized, it was the quality of writing and the manner of presentation (a big-ass-letter sentence at a time) that was the target. Any improvements in that area?

Venom

Scholar
The dialogue is fine when you are talking to the NPC. Actual personality for each of them. When my Argonian assassin arrive, people start to whisper and avoid me...When it's my female Imperial thief, I've had a pirate sing a song to me.

Dialogue is usually much longer then a simple line anyway to answer your question.

It's when they talk to each other that they sound like retards.

''How are you?''
''I'm fine''
''That sounds good''

''I hear her husband is missing''
''Is he?''
''That's what they say''

''I despise goblins''
''Yes, I hate them too''
''Good day''

HardCode

Erudite
BAHAHAHAH! Even the GREAT, ALMIGHTY Xbox 360 runs Oblivion like shit:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=273721

just default said:
It has been found in rare cases on some Xbox 360s that the cached data can get overly fragmented.

Yeah, so it has just been found on the day of release. Those 214 people who got it yesterday established the baseline for "rare cases". They withheld this information until the suckers sent Bethesda their $60.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I changed my mind. The streaming video was actually worse than my low expectations. Like Sheek said, the animations are AWFUL. Everything from the combat animations to when people are talking are all just utterly pitiful. The lips didn't even sync up with the words, which is kind of something as leading edge as Oblivion is supposed to be probably should do considering even dated KotOR could do that.

The combat didn't look very interesting at all. It was the same old flailing around melee you kind of got used to in Morrowind. It's kind of funny how most developers figured out that melee works better in third person five years ago, but Bethesda can't quite figure it out. I did enjoy when the guy flipped to third person for a bit and then said it looked better in first. It really does, because the player models movements don't sync up with the movement along the ground - "skating".

As already commented on, it's funny to see the NPCs walking along and then trying to look at the player while still walking and then resuming course. It kind of looks like they're having a quickie seizure.

As for the radiant AI, there were some great moments. I really liked when the player was resting. After the player got up, everyone else in the room woke up at the exact same time, had the same animation for getting up and moving away from the bed all at the same time, and then stood there for a bit like they were lining up for inspection. It was like some kind of freaky syncronized morning activity or something.

When he was battling the dagon cult underground, it was pretty funny to see tricks like luring one enemy out of a room at a time still works. While the player managed to kill a few of them, most of them just ran back in the room when their health got too low. I don't know which is funnier, the fact they'd scream, "YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!" while running away in terror, or the fact when he entered the room they all clumped up waiting to be killed without even fighting back. Man, that radiant AI kicks ass!

It's also rather annoying that the player can pop his head over a ledge to look down and the monsters instantly know he's done that and start zapping with spells. The same thing goes for when the player steps around a corner or from behind a pillar off in the distance. Considering the whole point of first person is to have some degree of IMMERSHUN, it would be nice if they actually had some sort of more life like delay times in them noticing the player. If they know the player is there, which they'd have to know this to instantly attack when he pops in to line of sight, why not move to get the player or something?

I didn't notice hardly any life when he was running around the big, white city. I saw one NPC walk passed the player, but for the most part, it was a ghost town with the exception of a few guards. Where's the life like world they kept talking about? Maybe the player was just walking through town while everyone was doing syncronized laundry. Hell, even when the player stepped in to shops, the shopkeepers just stood there like statues occationally having the neck seizure to look at the player while the rest of their bodies remained complete paralysed.

As for the dialogue, I really liked the part where the player chose to say, "My motives are my own" or whatever, and the NPC responded with "Not on my watch!" and then something even more totally off from what the player chose to respond with. Great job there, Bethesda!

sheek

Arbiter
Saint_Proverbius said:
I changed my mind. The streaming video was actually worse than my low expectations. Like Sheek said, the animations are AWFUL. Everything from the combat animations to when people are talking are all just utterly pitiful. The lips didn't even sync up with the words, which is kind of something as leading edge as Oblivion is supposed to be probably should do considering even dated KotOR could do that.

[snip]

Pretty good review there and I agree with all your criticisms.

The only difference seems to be our different expectations. I thought Oblivion was going to be on the same level (graphics excluded) and just possibly worse than Morrowind. So that should be the question: what kind of rating would did you give Morrowind? Oblivion is unquestionably an improvement in many ways and should be rated better.

HardCode

Erudite
Not really. Oblivion is more of the same MW shit with different textures.

Tintin

Arbiter
Yeah, so it has just been found on the day of release. Those 214 people who got it yesterday established the baseline for "rare cases". They withheld this information until the suckers sent Bethesda their $60.

Yeah I know, it's so evil how they covered up this horrible problem (that can be solved within a few seconds and a single button stroke), what an evil scheme by Bethesda.

HardCode

Erudite
Tintin said:

Yeah I know, it's so evil how they covered up this horrible problem (that can be solved within a few seconds and a single button stroke), what an evil scheme by Bethesda.

Okay then, stupid ass, give me ONE logical explanation on how they could post that TODAY if they hadn't known about it for a LONG time, especially being that the XBox 360 is a closed system. You opened your mouth, now put your foot in it.

Tintin

Arbiter
HardCode said:
Okay then, stupid ass, give me ONE logical explanation on how they could post that TODAY if they hadn't known about it for a LONG time, especially being that the XBox 360 is a closed system. You opened your mouth, now put your foot in it.

It's quite obvious it's all an elaborate scheme. They knew that the Xboxers, upon finding out that they were required to take an extra 5 seconds to hold down a key - would immediately spring into a rampage and vow not to buy Oblivion, destroying all their Xbox sales. So Bethesda hatched this evil plan to only inform them of this grueling process of button pressing on the release day.

HardCode

Erudite
Tintin said:
HardCode said:

It's quite obvious it's all an elaborate scheme. They knew that the Xboxers, upon finding out that they were required to take an extra 5 seconds to hold down a key - would immediately spring into a rampage and vow not to buy Oblivion, destroying all their Xbox sales. So Bethesda hatched this evil plan to only inform them of this grueling process of button pressing on the release day.

So, how does your foot taste?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom