Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Challenge vs Immersion in video games

DraQ

Arcane
Yay for late replies.
That simply means they fucked up more. It's still obvious that that the design behind oblivion was far more focused on the attempt to make it immersive, sacrificing many gameplay elements like levitation and weapon types for the sake of better graphics, and changing things like lockpicking into annoying minigame crap for teh immershuns. These changes were horrible, and considerably more detrimental to the game as a whole than screwing with the lore. Not to mention the voice acting's toll on the writing.
And how all those supposedly aided immersion?

Almost all I see in oblivious is changes to make the game more accessible at the cost of everything else:
Lockpicking is done on separate screen while the game is paused, rather than by actually using a lockpick on the lock in real time. That makes it less immersive almost by definition, but it improves accessibility by catering to all the morons who can't grasp the notion of skill.

Persuation minigame - can anyone in the right mind see it as an attempt to be immersive? Do you coerce, boast, joke and admire everyone all at once to get on their good side? Do you rotate some retarded wheels? Again, it was all arguably done for the sake of accessibility, to give ADHDtards something to do.

Dropping weapon types had nothing to do with immersion, if anything it reduced it. Claiming crossbows and thrown weapons are not present because all the effort went into making bows damn 1337 is a filthy lie, because bows are anything but cool in OB and healthy pincushions are decidedly non-immersive.
Same with dropping race-specific bodies - it was blatant cutting corners.

Removing levitation also wasn't tied to immersion, it was tied to technical limitations, badly optimized engine, laziness when it came to designing dungeons and lack of intellectual aptitude necessary to devise levitation spell that would play nice with walled-in cities (for example magnitude as max altitude, magnitude cap at below wall height, slowfall if altitude greater than allowed by magnitude, invisible walls in places where it would be impossible to avoid player gliding into a city), levitation could be slow to remove combat advantage.

Voiceacting was one of the very few things that could be seen as attempts at immersion, but it was also very obviously an attempt to cater for the illiterate.

Now, changing the Cyrodiil actually made it less immersive but more accessible to retards whose only contact with fantasy were LoTR movies,
making the plot derpy was less immersive, but helped make it understandable for people with sub 70 IQ, and so on.

A game should focus primarily on the player and his character before the NPCs and the world they inhabit.
Except NPCs are part of the world, and if world is too derpy and bland to be given any fucks, then so are the characters.

Not to mention that even without this consideration oblivion NPCs are just awful.

I can remember hardly any of the morrowind lore, mostly just a few details of the main plot. I remember tons of cool shit I did though. In oblivion, it's the opposite. I remember a bunch of details of the derpy lore and quests, but hardly anything I did.
"I want to forget but I can't oh god why" is not really something positive to be sad about the lore. Also, Morrowind's lore was mostly under the surface so you had to actually dig for it.

Your second point is kind of weird to me. It's impossible to make the player care about their character without making them care about the world, because the character is completely meaningless on his own. The fact that you mostly remember yourself doing cool shit in Morrowind means that you found Morrowind's world, and the interactions it enabled, compelling and memorable. That is one of the better ways to produce immersion
:bro:

Challenge isn't just based on skill however. Aside from there being different types of challenge (execution vs intellectually, i.e. QWOP vs chess) challenge isn't so neatly divided into skill and not skill based. Take something like a roguelike for example: Without skill, you get nowhere. But even with exceptional skill, you'll still likely fail a lot (hello wand of death wielding gnomes). Without that random element, the game would be formulaic and boring though.
There is no such thing as challenge that isn't skill based, whether or not it involves random element.

Challenge that isn't skill based, such as challenges relying purely on randomness or perseverance to make them seem hard, but devoid of skill component, simply isn't a challenge, fuck your link if it says otherwise.

Random element can be a meanigful part of challenge if managing it involves skill. Same with perseverance, though perseverance based gameplay is general badly designed gameplay in all cases I can recall.

High level algebra may be challenging and require a considerable deal of skill, but it doesn't make for a very good game
No, it'd make shitty game because it makes a shitty challenge.

A good challenge needs particular type of difficulty curve.

A difficulty curve has player's skill on x axis, and player's performance on y axis. Typically there are two important plateaus - the 'clueless' plateau corresponding with the range of player skill where player simply doesn't meet the minimum skill requirements to actually play the game, and the 'master' plateau starting at the skill level necessary to perform optimally.

A good challenge has a curve where as few potential players as possible are on either plateau and where there is nice, fairly linear slope between both plateaus, that is inclined enough to provide easy discrimination between players' skill levels based on their performance.

Algebraic task on its own is a shitty challenge, because you either can complete it or can't. The part between the two plateaus is pretty much vertical step with virtually all players being on either master or clueless plateau.

Now, if you make the right formulation of the problem the difficult part, or provide a time based performance function, then it may become a meaningful challenge, but not on its own.

Most two-player games based on any skill can discriminate between any two players by their very nature, which makes them nice enough challenges if they manage to be symmetrical enough, but single-player games can't pit players directly against each other so they need a challenge with good enough difficulty curve.

Captain Shrek

I am not going to read this until I write about this myself. So see you later.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Removing levitation also wasn't tied to immersion, it was tied to technical limitations, badly optimized engine,
You can fly in Skyrim. Just stand next to a giant and kick him repeatedly. He would be pissed and then you'd see Skyrim from a high altitude.

But perhaps you'd be happy when Fly would be a level 75 spell. Or perhaps 100 and a special quest. Or perhaps, we are only college of Winterhold and because we played with ... imperials kicked us from theirs city and forbade anyone that can teach fly to move to college of Winterhold.

But you must admit these "dungeons" are more difficult when you are not allowed to cheat.

There is no such thing as challenge that isn't skill based, whether or not it involves random element.
I remember I solved the world most difficult puzzle in some game. I though in character and solved it, no skills required, that character was smart.

Intellect based challenges doesn't require skill, they require a brain, or a hintbook.

Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
As a note, do you guys find watching a movie that's interspersed with commercials every 20-30 minutes significantly immersion breaking compared to a straight run of a movie? Do you find yourself able to effectively re-tune yourself into the movie once it starts up again?

CorpseZeb

Learned
That's depends on movie. Sometime, commercials are more worth watching, than movie itself. So, right, after de-tune by watching movie, in-tune for fine commercial takes some time. But, anyway, you say, there are commercials in the Skyrim?! Cool.

Ps. For the sake of sanity, we can just simply state, challenge=immersion, but immersion=!challenge in the games common tongue.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Can't agree with you at all about what defines challenge, which makes the core of this thread rather difficult to discuss. A marathon requires no skill to complete- only physical attributes and a willingness to continue regardless of how long it takes. By your definition, this would mean it isn't challenging.

As for derpiness in Oblivion, I agree with most of your points insofar as they certainly reduced immersion. But again, I'm asserting that this was caused more by incompetence than as a design goal. Voice acting, graphical fidelity (there'd be no 'poorly optimized engine' issues or need to cut off cities if the graphics weren't as nice) and bunch of other very very poorly concieved things (zooming in on those ugly faces, and yes, I honestly think the derpy lockpicking and persuasion games were supposed to make you feel like you were actually doing those things more than a simple skill check, as misguided and fail ridden as it was.) The graphics backfired in toher areas as well; if they'd had simpler graphics they could have designed more variety for dungeon types and monster types and weapon types, and variety adds a good deal to immersion but Oblivion had very little.

If a small child tries to help make dinner by adding in too many spices randomly his goal was still making the food taste better even if it turns out shit. And if he also turned up the heat to make it cook faster (and simply burned it) that still doesn't imply he made a decision to make the food taste worse so he could eat sooner. I think you're giving Bethesda more credit than they are due in regards to their ability to foresee the impact their design goals would have on the actual game. They thought shiny graphics and voiceacting and minigames over binary checks would all improve immersion more than any tradeoffs would reduce it.

Damned Registrations

ADOM is a terrible example of a roguelike skill imo. It's scummer's heaven. The difference between using herbs and ID and mining and shit like that and not is like the difference between finding a wish before you hit the gnomish mines in nethack and not.

Nevermind the 'good race/class combo' bit. Get back to me when Troll Thief isn't a deathtrap waiting to happen. Arguing that that isn't (more) challenging is absurd.

DraQ

Arcane
Can't agree with you at all about what defines challenge, which makes the core of this thread rather difficult to discuss. A marathon requires no skill to complete- only physical attributes and a willingness to continue regardless of how long it takes. By your definition, this would mean it isn't challenging.
Does it rely on ability of some sort? - Yes.
Does this ability differ in subjects allowing them to be discriminated based on task performance? - Yes.
Can this ability be improved using training/practice? - Yes.

It's a challenge.

As for derpiness in Oblivion, I agree with most of your points insofar as they certainly reduced immersion. But again, I'm asserting that this was caused more by incompetence than as a design goal. Voice acting, graphical fidelity (there'd be no 'poorly optimized engine' issues or need to cut off cities if the graphics weren't as nice) and bunch of other very very poorly concieved things (zooming in on those ugly faces, and yes, I honestly think the derpy lockpicking and persuasion games were supposed to make you feel like you were actually doing those things more than a simple skill check, as misguided and fail ridden as it was.) The graphics backfired in toher areas as well; if they'd had simpler graphics they could have designed more variety for dungeon types and monster types and weapon types, and variety adds a good deal to immersion but Oblivion had very little.
Improved graphical fidelity is pretty much a trend we can take for granted, voice acting also improves accessibility, while the purpose of derpy minigames can be assumed to be avoiding lack of comprehension of character skill.

No dice.

To Bethesda (and developers in general) "more immersion" means feeling like you are there in the game, not making the gameworld as believable as possible. That's why you have things like lockpicking minigames that freeze time - the hit is supposedly compensated by creating the impression that you are there, picking the lock, feeling what the hero is feeling.

Damned Registrations

Patience and mental endurance can be improved through practice too, and is certainly distinguishable between different people. Moreover, training in and of itself is challenging in regards to the will to actually do it. Like breaking an addiction/habit or overcoming a phobia. But you don't need skill to do any of those things well. Years of practice is not necessary to change your diet in the way it is to learn how to juggle half a dozen champagne glasses. And yet some people do these things better than others, with no practice at all.

The reason most people don't work 80 hour work weeks and retire very quickly isn't some logical decision or lack of skill. It's because it's too damned hard to persevere that much. Likewise, finishing or not finishing a marathon is pretty much solely based on perseverance. The idea that, for example, Terry Fox's famous run wasn't challenging, or that he only got as far as he did because he was skilled and physically gifted is absurd and insulting. It sounds more like you lack the quality yourself and want to cry unfairness, like someone losing a fighting game to 'cheap tactics' they could be using themselves if they knew how.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Challenge isn't just based on skill however. Aside from there being different types of challenge (execution vs intellectually, i.e. QWOP vs chess) challenge isn't so neatly divided into skill and not skill based. Take something like a roguelike for example: Without skill, you get nowhere. But even with exceptional skill, you'll still likely fail a lot (hello wand of death wielding gnomes). Without that random element, the game would be formulaic and boring though. High level algebra may be challenging and require a considerable deal of skill, but it doesn't make for a very good game, but chess does, even though both are purely intellectual challenges. But chess has the element of chance- your opponent.

Too generalizing. For some it is, for others it isn't. More games should provide challenge for only a small number of people, that would make more happy gamers in the end.
I'd rather take that kind of diversity than games who are always catered for the average Joe. Of course I constantly bitch about games that don't fit my style though .. stupid.
But the principle is still valid. Because too many games (especially computer games) provide no challenge at all. And I want to be challenged.
The immersion usually comes by itself, if there is also something in terms of the bells and whistles.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Patience and mental endurance can be improved through practice too, and is certainly distinguishable between different people. Moreover, training in and of itself is challenging in regards to the will to actually do it. Like breaking an addiction/habit or overcoming a phobia. But you don't need skill to do any of those things well. Years of practice is not necessary to change your diet in the way it is to learn how to juggle half a dozen champagne glasses. And yet some people do these things better than others, with no practice at all.

The reason most people don't work 80 hour work weeks and retire very quickly isn't some logical decision or lack of skill. It's because it's too damned hard to persevere that much. Likewise, finishing or not finishing a marathon is pretty much solely based on perseverance. The idea that, for example, Terry Fox's famous run wasn't challenging, or that he only got as far as he did because he was skilled and physically gifted is absurd and insulting. It sounds more like you lack the quality yourself and want to cry unfairness, like someone losing a fighting game to 'cheap tactics' they could be using themselves if they knew how.

Where is the contradiction? Many good games allow everyone to participate and test/improve their skill. Sport can always be challenging, on every level. But only the exceptional talent / perseverance can reach the highest level.
If a game/sport challenges you on many levels (physical, motor, intellectual) it's even better, and most "real" games do that.
But a game that requires no skill is useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom