Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Paul_cz

Arcane
I wonder how they're gonna do the shooting mechanics, have they done any shooting games?
Not really, but they did acquire Metropolis and then merge its developers into CDP. Metropolis worked on some shooters. They also hired some people from Remedy, Rockstar etc.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how they're gonna do the shooting mechanics,

It'll probably work like any conventional shooter since they've said stuff like "dicerolls are superboring", and that they'll do their best to not have stats affect combat much at all.

That's old news of course and things might have changed, but I doubt it.

deama

Prophet
I wonder how they're gonna do the shooting mechanics,

It'll probably work like any conventional shooter since they've said stuff like "dicerolls are superboring", and that they'll do their best to not have stats affect combat much at all.

That's old news of course and things might have changed, but I doubt it.
Well, I hope it's gonna be similiar to how deus ex did it, as in stats only effecting accuracy.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Stats affected a lot more than just accuracy in Deus Ex, and I wouldn't hold by breath for it CDPR coming up with even nearly as good a system.

I just hope it isn't a generic cover shooter, because that'd be a death sentence for any combat system.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm still waiting for him to say something about Cyberpunk 2077 the tabletop game. This whole talk about less crunch, more story time just doesn't sit well with me when I look at what next edition of Vampire is doing. He is generally spot on about players having moved past just lugging around backpacks filled with books, though.

What was that about Witcher on his phone? His son is developing something Witcher? He kinda danced around the answer or I missed it.

Zer0wing

Cipher
I believe he talks about "the witcher adventure game", which was indeed released for android and ios phones.

It would be cool if CP2077 had a GTA-like mega-city, but in a 3D, Star Wars-like way, where you have these massive skyscrapers everywhere that you can't see the bottom or top of, and you can travel vertically in flying cars, Mach 5 elevators, or by using parkour/climbing for small distances. But unlike GTA, a lot more and better encounters, dialogue, writing, ala Witcher. Their obsession with breadcrumb trails and markers is of course worrying, but what can you do...

For combat, it would be nice to have martial arts and swords (ala Highlander) in addition to firearms. I find vanilla firearm combat boring in RPGs, as there is nothing cool about a dude running around with a rifle. So I hope they add some cool aspects to it, something like gunslinger-ship, ie the ability to quick-draw and speed fire.

odrzut

Arcane
They can do crazy stuff with cyberspace. Like, instead of hacking minigame have the cyberspace be another 3d world you log into. Then infiltrating some megacorp database is like breaking into military base, but with crazy weapons, and superpowers, and in tron-like environment. No reason you can't have lightsaber fights, or SUPERHOT-like time mechanics in cyberspace.

ICE (security systems) would be drones you have to avoid or kill, and they can have unrealistic abilities, like forking, going through walls, etc. And you can buy software that lets you jump 100 meters high in cyberspace, or scan for logic bombs. And when they detect you hacking them there's a timer before they triangulate your real-world position and send squad to kill you.

Damn I'm hyped.

passerby

Arcane
It's CDPR we are talking about, people in charge of gameplay there are complete retards, everything you describe is way to cool, to cross these hacks minds.

odrzut

Arcane
No, if TW3 is any indication they are capable of doing all of that. It will just be clunky and have "I win button" for less gifted.

I feel like W3 showed that CDProjekt, unlike Bethesda, actually does learn and improve their stuff over time. The combat in W3 was miles ahead of W1 and W2, Gwent was a lot more fun than in-game minigames in previous entries,, and if they didn't have the crap with the breadcrumb trails and question marks, exploration would've been a lot better too. These things weren't perfect by any means, and the gameplay still lags behind writing and atmosphere, but there is definite improvement.

You never saw this kind of improvement from Bethesda, so there is hope yet.

gaussgunner

Arcane
They can do crazy stuff with cyberspace. Like, instead of hacking minigame have the cyberspace be another 3d world you log into. Then infiltrating some megacorp database is like breaking into military base, but with crazy weapons, and superpowers, and in tron-like environment. No reason you can't have lightsaber fights, or SUPERHOT-like time mechanics in cyberspace.

ICE (security systems) would be drones you have to avoid or kill, and they can have unrealistic abilities, like forking, going through walls, etc. And you can buy software that lets you jump 100 meters high in cyberspace, or scan for logic bombs. And when they detect you hacking them there's a timer before they triangulate your real-world position and send squad to kill you.

Damn I'm hyped.

Even better, make it like The Matrix where you log into another reality, and another, ad nauseam, so you never know where the fuck you are or what's real.

YEAAAAAAAHHHHH AWWWWWSOME!!!!!11111

T0tally ]<-RAD and eLeeT

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I feel like W3 showed that CDProjekt, unlike Bethesda, actually does learn and improve their stuff over time. The combat in W3 was miles ahead of W1 and W2, Gwent was a lot more fun than in-game minigames in previous entries,, and if they didn't have the crap with the breadcrumb trails and question marks, exploration would've been a lot better too. These things weren't perfect by any means, and the gameplay still lags behind writing and atmosphere, but there is definite improvement.

You never saw this kind of improvement from Bethesda, so there is hope yet.
The games have improved in production values and scope, and CDPR certainly have a level of ambition that most AAA studios lack, but as far as the mechanics go, there's really no consistent improvement to be found there. They reinvent their mechanics with every game, sometimes improving them and just as often making them worse. I'd argue that TW1 is still their most solid game when it comes to gameplay mechanics, with the best character development, itemization, alchemy system, inventory system, in-game economy... There was a pretty good core there that they could've taken and improved in the later games, but with TW2 they streamlined or otherwise ruined almost all of the things that TW1 did well (dice poker included!), whereas TW3 was a mechanical hodgepodge where some things kind of worked and others most certainly didn't. Because of this it's pretty hard to predict what they'll come up with for Cyberpunk, as they've shown a tendency towards copying whatever is popular at the time but still seem to ultimately want to do things their own way.

The games have improved in production values and scope, and CDPR certainly have a level of ambition that most AAA studios lack, but as far as the mechanics go, there's really no consistent improvement to be found there. They reinvent their mechanics with every game, sometimes improving them and just as often making them worse. I'd argue that TW1 is still their most solid game when it comes to gameplay mechanics, with the best character development, itemization, alchemy system, inventory system, in-game economy... There was a pretty good core there that they could've taken and improved in the later games, but with TW2 they streamlined or otherwise ruined almost all of the things that TW1 did well (dice poker included!), whereas TW3 was a mechanical hodgepodge where some things kind of worked and others most certainly didn't. Because of this it's pretty hard to predict what they'll come up with for Cyberpunk, as they've shown a tendency towards copying whatever is popular at the time but still seem to ultimately want to do things their own way.

I feel like W3 is way better than W1 in terms of gameplay. W1 had one decent gameplay mechanic (the researching the monsters before fighting them part), which is somewhat present in W3, although much less important, but regardless, it's a relatively minor thing. The combat in W1 was a bad joke, there was no real exploration due to fenced-in maps, the so-called investigation in quests was often broken, and there wasn't much interactivity with the world or anything else.

W3 vastly improves the combat, and although its exploration is ruined by the hand-holding, it's still better than W1' since it's an open world.

passerby

Arcane

Damn I'm hyped.

Even better, make it like The Matrix where you log into another reality, and another, ad nauseam, so you never know where the fuck you are or what's real.

YEAAAAAAAHHHHH AWWWWWSOME!!!!!11111

T0tally ]<-RAD and eLeeT

No, what he described would be fun.

Ever played Tron 2.0 ? You should.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Why not make a game that takes place entirely in cyberspace, kinda like, uh, Tron?

But enough sarcasm. I could never get into those cyberpunk games & movies that represent hacking as an abstract shoot'em'up. Real hacking is nothing like that, it's all raw data and number crunching, mostly done by automated tools now. What's interesting is how it affects the real world in subtle ways... reading people's email, stealing money, causing bureaucratic hassles, screwing up routers and printers and shit, making people paranoid about getting hacked even when they're not. I would love to see an rpg in a high-tech setting without all the cyber theatrics.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
W1 had one decent gameplay mechanic (the researching the monsters before fighting them part), which is somewhat present in W3, although much less important, but regardless, it's a relatively minor thing.

It's much more then that for me. It is a great implementation both mechanics and economics-wise. One of the things that made W1 so memorable.

The combat in W1 was a bad joke, there was no real exploration due to fenced-in maps, the so-called investigation in quests was often broken, and there wasn't much interactivity with the world or anything else.

Combat was okay. At least there was a strong connection with impactfull character development. Exploration was rewarding, although the invisible walls were annoying. But the areas were beautifully sculptured. So that one can barely recognize the Aurora-Electron engine.
Interactivity? NPC behaviour was by far the most complex and reasonable out of the 3 Witcher games, with daily schedules and impressive reactions to weather conditions. You could try talking to seemingly generic by-walkers and get unique dialogue.

W3 vastly improves the combat, and although its exploration is ruined by the hand-holding, it's still better than W1' since it's an open world.

I respectfully disagree. Should I understand that any open world game is automatically great?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I feel like W3 is way better than W1 in terms of gameplay. W1 had one decent gameplay mechanic (the researching the monsters before fighting them part), which is somewhat present in W3, although much less important, but regardless, it's a relatively minor thing. The combat in W1 was a bad joke, there was no real exploration due to fenced-in maps, the so-called investigation in quests was often broken, and there wasn't much interactivity with the world or anything else.
Do you honestly think TW3's alchemy system is better than the one in TW1? Or the inventory system? Or itemization? Or the fact that skills and mutagens have to be "equipped" for them to be of any use? Let's not even go into how levels work and all the other issues related to the game being set in an open world.

TW1's combat wasn't great, and while it did a decent job finding a compromise between character skill and player skill, it was definitely something that needed improving. Replacing it with action combat wasn't necessarily a bad move, but neither TW2 or TW3 really got it right either, both suffering from severe balance issues, broken mechanics and pure, unadulterated nonsense. Also, while TW1 featured some complex quest chains that could potentially be broken, I give it credit for trying something ambitious. TW2 and TW3 had much more linear and less interesting quest structures and nothing even approaching the second act of TW1, which I found rather disappointing.

W1 had one decent gameplay mechanic (the researching the monsters before fighting them part), which is somewhat present in W3, although much less important, but regardless, it's a relatively minor thing.

It's much more then that for me. It is a great implementation both mechanics and economics-wise. One of the things that made W1 so memorable.

It is a good mechanic, but what I meant was, something like preparing yourself for monsters is just not that cool or important in the big scheme of things. It's a secondary mechanic, as opposed to the more primary ones (combat, exploration, character development, dialogue).

Combat was okay. At least there was a strong connection with impactfull character development. Exploration was rewarding, although the invisible walls were annoying. But the areas were beautifully sculptured. So that one can barely recognize the Aurora-Electron engine.
Interactivity? NPC behaviour was by far the most complex and reasonable out of the 3 Witcher games, with daily schedules and impressive reactions to weather conditions. You could try talking to seemingly generic by-walkers and get unique dialogue.

Come on. Do you remember the combat? It was terrible. An endless click-fest that would satisfy neither the tactical nor action itch.

And by interactivity I mean, in W3, you can climb, jump over stuff, ride horses and boats. W1, if I recall correctly, you couldn't even clear one of the million of fences that were blocking you everywhere.

I respectfully disagree. Should I understand that any open world game is automatically great?

Not in general, but being open world contributes a lot to exploration. It's hard to have meaningful exploration when you are hemmed in to small maps and can't really wander off anywhere. And there were other reasons too in this case, like the long loading times every time you pass a door in W1, whereas W3 has same map interiors.

Do you honestly think TW3's alchemy system is better than the one in TW1? Or the inventory system? Or itemization? Or the fact that skills and mutagens have to be "equipped" for them to be of any use? Let's not even go into how levels work and all the other issues related to the game being set in an open world.

No, those things were better in W1, but 1, how important are they really? People don't play RPGs because of their alchemy systems, that's just the icing on the cake. And 2, while those things were better in W1, I wouldn't say they were great there. I found character development in W1 to be pretty weak overall.

TW1's combat wasn't great, and while it did a decent job finding a compromise between character skill and player skill, it was definitely something that needed improving. Replacing it with action combat wasn't necessarily a bad move, but neither TW2 or TW3 really got it right either, both suffering from severe balance issues, broken mechanics and pure, unadulterated nonsense. Also, while TW1 featured some complex quest chains that could potentially be broken, I give it credit for trying something ambitious. TW2 and TW3 had much more linear and less interesting quest structures and nothing even approaching the second act of TW1, which I found rather disappointing.

Let's keep the abomination known as W2 out of this. While the combat in W3 wasn't perfect or great, it was pretty damn good by RPG standards. W1 combat was just terrible and had no redeeming qualities, other than maybe being better than W2. Who wants to click 20 times on left mouse button to do one meaningful combo? No challenge, no point, no tactics (unless you count the preparation beforehand, and that was only needed for a few boss level fights).

passerby

Arcane
We can dream, but they'll make a minigame with a depth of Gwent and it'll be a great success, with many meme steam reviews referencing it.

passerby

Arcane
It's good as a minigame, even if immersion breaking. But a simple minigame for cyberspace like nu Deus Ex hacking would be a huge letdown, that is why I expect exactly that.

Witcher 3 is a nice experience and Cyberpunk probably will be too, but gameplay in Witcher games was always shallow, boring and below already low AAA standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom