Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

eXalted

Arcane
+ the CD Projekt architecture skills, yes.

If they pull the Witcher 3 popularity miracle again, I hope a new wave of cyberpunk RPGs start rolling.

Perkel

Arcane
+ the CD Projekt architecture skills, yes.

If they pull the Witcher 3 popularity miracle again, I hope a new wave of cyberpunk RPGs start rolling.

That is like saying that when they released TW3 suddenly companies will start to make RPGs with good writting or proper land design, characterization and so on. Which obviously won't happen.

Maybe next year e3 we will get teaser for CB2077. Hopefully it will be more punk than scifi and what i mean by that older cyberpunk stuff not neo-DeusEx kind of cyberpunk kind of scifi.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Punks don't have to be your audience, punk's over.

Do millennials even understand punk? The old cyberpunk stuff seems to be pretty removed from today's sensibilities. Hackers are evil now and corporations the good actors ;)

Perkel

Arcane

Do millennials even understand punk? The old cyberpunk stuff seems to be pretty removed from today's sensibilities. Hackers are evil now and corporations the good actors ;)

I mean in early interview they got "that" what i was talking about but as i said earlier no company can walk ouf of TW3 success unchanged.

I mean they starting plan was basically firect conversion of cyberpunk game to computers but after TW3 i fully expect them to make TW3 with guns.

eXalted

Arcane
That is like saying that when they released TW3 suddenly companies will start to make RPGs with good writting or proper land design, characterization and so on. Which obviously won't happen.
No, with Witcher 3 they will start making fantasy RPGs, oh wait, they've been making such games for eternity now.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

The later ones?
Not so much.

Good example is how Shadowruns Fluff changed over the years.
Back then, it was a very gritty and shitty world, where you had to do your living by any means.

Nowadays, Runners (especially the ones by disgusting "Black Trenchcoat"-Style Players) are basically mirrorshades wearing wannabe-operators acting as deniable corporate cucks.

And IF CP2077 turns out to be a success (with all the retro80shype, it might has a good chance), we could very well get a lot more games in this Genre/Setting, but most will be cashcows and suck, like most of the shit in this age of "way-to-fucking-many videogame released each year".

anus_pounder

Arcane

Wait, is it? Aren't corporations and governments almost exclusively evil in fiction nowadays?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-gets-7-million-government/

CD Projekt RED Gets $7 Million from Polish Government To Research Seamless Multiplayer, City Creation

CD Projekt RED got the biggest cut of Poland’s 116 million PLN fund granted by the NCBR (National Center for Research of Development) to several of the most prominent Polish game developers.

All four proposals submitted by CD Projekt RED were approved, as well as an additional proposal for GOG.com focused on the creation of a “generic support cross-platform multiplayer gaming software for popular consoles and operating systems”. In total, the studio known for The Witcher series will receive 30 million PLN, which roughly amounts to $7 million. Adam Kiciński, President at CD Projekt RED, released this statement:

Developing videogames is a hyperinnovative activity, but also one which carries substantial financial risks, involves continuous R&D work and requires much experimentation and prototyping along the way. The GameINN program – a fruit of our industry’s collaborative efforts – will, in the coming years, enable Polish developers to carry out nearly 40 projects worth 191 million PLN. I am confident that the resulting innovative solutions will further elevate the quality of Polish videogames and enhance our competitiveness on the global stage. Indeed, our industry now has the potential to become the champion of the modern Polish economy.​

The official document shared by the NCBR gives us a decent amount of insight on each proposal. CDPR’s four proposals were focused on the following game development goals:

City Creation

Comprehensive technology for the creation of “live”, playable in real-time, cities of great scale based on the principles of artificial intelligence and automation and taking into account the development of innovative processes and tools supporting the creation of high-quality open world games.

Seamless Multiplayer

Comprehensive technology enables the creation of unique gameplay for many players, taking into account the search of opponents, session management, replication facilities, and support of a variety of game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools.

Cinematic Feel

Comprehensive technology for providing a unique, film quality RPG with open world, also taking into account innovative solutions Process and unique set of dedicated tools.

Animation Excellence

Comprehensive technology enabling a significant increase in quality and production of complex face and body animations for open world RPG games, also taking into account the innovative process solutions and a unique set of dedicated tools.​

The Witcher 3 fans will undoubtedly argue that the game already sports greatly detailed cities, excellent animations and a “cinematic feel” of sorts, but at the same time it’s reassuring to see that the developers aren’t resting on their laurels and still want to push the boundaries further in all these categories.

The real new feature is seamless multiplayer, of course. No game by CDPR ever supported any form of multiplayer but at this point, we’re fairly certain Cyberpunk 2077 will be the first one. Fear not, however, for we can hazard a guess that it may be similar to Watch Dogs 2 with its seamless, but entirely optional coop/PvP multiplayer. It is doubtful that CD Projekt RED would want to alienate its massive customer base of single player fans.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It's time to move to Poland and make some games.

Bindle-James_Jean-Gicle_Digital_Print-trampt-56529o.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
So yeah, they just got that money which is meant for engine features development, and some people think this will come out next year?

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I hope CDProjekt makes their SDK available to the public, if its anywhere decent it might be a great 3D engine for budding Video Game developers. Making games with it would probably take a lot of time and dedication but a new engine that can rival UE 4 would be such a boon to the scene.

Yes I know Cry engine exist but it is a piece of shit; hard to use, poor support, and the company that makes it are doing piss poor which adds doubt to the support problems mentioned earlier. Why would you use Cry engine when Unity and UE which have wider library of documentation exist? Small devs don't even have the resources to fully utilize many of the features that the engine boast.

So that leave us with UE and Unity if we want to create 3D games with entry programming Knowledge. Unity can't even handle multi threading, uses C# instead of C++, it's IDE is a fucking mess SAD! its so sloppy in the time to code one script you could run a marathon, teach a class of 200 how to make a hello world program using a shit language like Holy C (may god offer me forgiveness amen) and cuck a middle age Jewish man by having a secret affair with his wife. All those problems will lead to your games being buggy messes with poor framerate optimization.

UE is great but it needs a viable open competitor (It's practically Chinese software as tencent owns epic and plus although makes the source code available it is not open source), hopefully with the Potato Gov money they make a great engine that they are willing to share.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
http://wccftech.com/cd-projekt-red-gets-7-million-government/

CD Projekt RED Gets $7 Million from Polish Government To Research Seamless Multiplayer, City Creation

CD Projekt RED got the biggest cut of Poland’s 116 million PLN fund granted by the NCBR (National Center for Research of Development) to several of the most prominent Polish game developers.

All four proposals submitted by CD Projekt RED were approved, as well as an additional proposal for GOG.com focused on the creation of a “generic support cross-platform multiplayer gaming software for popular consoles and operating systems”. In total, the studio known for The Witcher series will receive 30 million PLN, which roughly amounts to $7 million. Adam Kiciński, President at CD Projekt RED, released this statement:

Developing videogames is a hyperinnovative activity, but also one which carries substantial financial risks, involves continuous R&D work and requires much experimentation and prototyping along the way. The GameINN program – a fruit of our industry’s collaborative efforts – will, in the coming years, enable Polish developers to carry out nearly 40 projects worth 191 million PLN. I am confident that the resulting innovative solutions will further elevate the quality of Polish videogames and enhance our competitiveness on the global stage. Indeed, our industry now has the potential to become the champion of the modern Polish economy.​

The official document shared by the NCBR gives us a decent amount of insight on each proposal. CDPR’s four proposals were focused on the following game development goals:

City Creation

Comprehensive technology for the creation of “live”, playable in real-time, cities of great scale based on the principles of artificial intelligence and automation and taking into account the development of innovative processes and tools supporting the creation of high-quality open world games.

Seamless Multiplayer

Comprehensive technology enables the creation of unique gameplay for many players, taking into account the search of opponents, session management, replication facilities, and support of a variety of game modes along with a unique set of dedicated tools.

Cinematic Feel

Comprehensive technology for providing a unique, film quality RPG with open world, also taking into account innovative solutions Process and unique set of dedicated tools.

Animation Excellence

Comprehensive technology enabling a significant increase in quality and production of complex face and body animations for open world RPG games, also taking into account the innovative process solutions and a unique set of dedicated tools.​

The Witcher 3 fans will undoubtedly argue that the game already sports greatly detailed cities, excellent animations and a “cinematic feel” of sorts, but at the same time it’s reassuring to see that the developers aren’t resting on their laurels and still want to push the boundaries further in all these categories.

The real new feature is seamless multiplayer, of course. No game by CDPR ever supported any form of multiplayer but at this point, we’re fairly certain Cyberpunk 2077 will be the first one. Fear not, however, for we can hazard a guess that it may be similar to Watch Dogs 2 with its seamless, but entirely optional coop/PvP multiplayer. It is doubtful that CD Projekt RED would want to alienate its massive customer base of single player fans.
Each potato for CDprojekt research is one less potato available for gender studies.

eXalted

Arcane
And here is some more:
enfw4eu.gif
:takemymoney:

On a totally unrelated note. While searching for gifs I stumbled upon this:
giphy.gif
I have no fucking idea what is that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom