Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dookins

Educated
Hell, as long as they give us a chance to do some cyberspace bullshit and rip off the story/atmosphere from early Gibson I'd be happy.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
3. I'm ready to accept an FPS/RPG hybrid, as long as it's not some popamole garbage.

They managed to make high-fantasy popamole combat in TW3. what do you think they'll do, in a settings where guns are actually a thing?

As much as my lust for Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi makes me anticipate this game to a greater degree than I care to admit, I expect naught but console-style popping moles, truth be told. Kinda DXHR meets CoDAW.

zwanzig_zwoelf

3. I'm ready to accept an FPS/RPG hybrid, as long as it's not some popamole garbage.

They managed to make high-fantasy popamole combat in TW3. what do you think they'll do, in a settings where guns are actually a thing?

As much as my lust for Cyberpunk/Sci-Fi makes me anticipate this game to a greater degree than I care to admit, I expect naught but console-style popping moles, truth be told. Kinda DXHR meets CoDAW.
I didn't play Witcher 2/3 yet (and didn't beat TW1 for technical reasons), but after my friend called TW2 a "hack'n'slash" game, my gut tells me I'll most likely rage like a motherfucker while playing this game.

Still, the amount of cyberpunk games is pretty low, so I expect that even if this game turns out as a complete piece of shit, CDP/TWitcher/Cyberpunk fans will eat it up like a hot cake (with shit molecules on the top, but who'll notice them). And I hope it won't spawn a new trend, because getting cyberpunk right requires good imagination and balls, and modern marketers/idiots who work at Ubisoft/Squeenix/other have neither of those.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I didn't play Witcher 2/3 yet (and didn't beat TW1 for technical reasons), but after my friend called TW2 a "hack'n'slash" game, my gut tells me I'll most likely rage like a motherfucker while playing this game.

TW2 is more like Dragon's Lair: a cutscene-fest way too often interrupted by simplistic combat (ranging from piss easy to "totally random", depending ont he difficulty level).

Still, the amount of cyberpunk games is pretty low, so I expect that even if this game turns out as a complete piece of shit, CDP/TWitcher/Cyberpunk fans will eat it up like a hot cake (with shit molecules on the top, but who'll notice them). And I hope it won't spawn a new trend, because getting cyberpunk right requires good imagination and balls, and modern marketers/idiots who work at Ubisoft/Squeenix/other have neither of those.

I agree with every single word, there. BTW even if this game turns out to be a cumball covered in shit and deepfried in pig's piss, I'm one of those who will gobble on it as if it was a hot cheery pie.

she__s_my_cherry_pie_by_annestern-d46zra2.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

TW2 is more like Dragon's Lair: a cutscene-fest way too often interrupted by simplistic combat (ranging from piss easy to "totally random", depending ont he difficulty level).

I agree with every single word, there. BTW even if this game turns out to be a cumball covered in shit and deepfried in pig's piss, I'm one of those who will gobble on it as if it was a hot cheery pie.

The only thing that pisses me off is that even more-or-less decent indie devs or total nobodies don't do cyberpunk games or don't fucking finish them.
And I'm one of them.
:x

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

The only thing that pisses me off is that even more-or-less decent indie devs or total nobodies don't do cyberpunk games or don't fucking finish them.
And I'm one of them.
:x

http://oddtales.net/

zwanzig_zwoelf

I'm not a big fan of cinematic platformers, though I enjoyed Cyberpunk: The Arasaka's Plot when I had an old phone and had to spend about an hour to get to work and back home on a bus. If you have a phone with java support, give it a try. It's a pretty good game (especially when you think of it as a mobile game), plus it has some interesting easter eggs (try to type "CONRAD" when you access the console). Heck, it even has cutscenes similar to Flashback.

cyberpunk-the-arasaka-and-039-s-plot-240x320-lg-mobile-game.gif

vonAchdorf

Arcane
http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/06/18/cd-projekt-talks-cyberpunk-2077

Iwinski remarked that Cyberpunk is a great opportunity to keep the studio's creative energy high.

"You can craft swords for 12 years, but you might get burnt out. People might want to leave and go work on something else. We're excited to switch to guns. We intended to keep [the team] energized with Cyberpunk. The core team is working The Witcher 3's expansions, but more and more people are moving over onto Cyberpunk."

zwanzig_zwoelf

So, like, the team of 3 ppl or so worked on Cyberpunk all this time?

Divinity: Original Sin 2
A twist: it'll be a MMO with autotargetting.

JK
Not about the autotargetting tho, they need to make sure console players will be able to play the damn game.
And they cannot afford rewriting the engine (assuming it is 2017), so I guess huge amount of TW3 rules will apply. I'm pretty sure set protagonist is not one of them, but I cannot be certain (y u no magic/hack, Geralt!).

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I don't give a flying fuck if combat will be popamole, as long as they give me an immersive World with c&c and characters that I can actually care about, instead of Bioderpian special snowflakes.

And since they already hinted about the slight possibility of a Ciri cameo:
Give me that to.

Dalek

Novice
I hope for good FPS combat, with augs it can get really fun.
I expect shitty TPS though or FPS with TP cover. Which would suck.

Caconym

Savant
Invisible, Inc. is at least demigod tier. Transistor is Style incarnate. Technobabylon turned out to be totally sweet. Satellite Reign is shaping up very nicely. Consortium has cool c&c and a bigger sequel in the works. Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect is pure entertainment. The new upcoming XCOM looks more cyberpunky than the previous one.

Yeah, I know you were probably thinking of just CRPGs... Still.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just came back from Defcon, which has various cyberpunk themes and artwork. It makes me more excited to see how far this game has progressed and makes me want to play more cyberpunk games.

Currently crafting my own cyberpunk pc adventure game right now actually.

buzz

Arcane
I must be insane, I often feel like I'm the only person on the planet who's FUCKING BORED of goddamn cyberpunk. People say it's underutilized but they're so fucking wrong, it's the go-to generic setting when devs are bored of generic fantasy and generic modern military stuff. Even Call of Duty has elements of cyberpunk and shit.

I wouldn't mind it so much if at least people tackled a different take on the cyberpunk genre. Instead, most of the time it's the same shit: EVUL CORPS! AUGMENTATIONS! ARE YOU A ROBOT OR ARE YOU A MACHINE?! HACK THE SECURITY SYSTEM! and of course, it all takes places at night in shady slums or uber-techy buildings. I just hope at some point people would stop just ripping off Blade Runner and Neuromancer.

I wish people would focus more on other stuff, like alternate reality cyberpunk, biopunk, less noir riffing and so forth. There's so much more cool shit you can do with stuff like time travelling, drugs that fuck up your mind, body horror, FUCK, at least give it a distinct visual look.

I mean, look at The Long Tomorrow, the Moebius comic that more or less invented cyberpunk. Just look how visually distinct it is, most people would say you're crazy to call it cyberpunk (where's the uber dark stuff? where's the hacking?)

I don't know, just my two cents. Generic cyberpunk bores the shit out of me nowadays.

eXalted

Arcane
I wish people would focus more on other stuff, like alternate reality cyberpunk, biopunk, less noir riffing and so forth. There's so much more cool shit you can do with stuff like time travelling, drugs that fuck up your mind, body horror, FUCK, at least give it a distinct visual look..

Thanks for the Moebus link.

Have you read The Windup Girl? Biopunk kinda setting, highly reccommend it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I must be insane, I often feel like I'm the only person on the planet who's FUCKING BORED of goddamn cyberpunk. People say it's underutilized but they're so fucking wrong, it's the go-to generic setting when devs are bored of generic fantasy and generic modern military stuff. Even Call of Duty has elements of cyberpunk and shit.

I wouldn't mind it so much if at least people tackled a different take on the cyberpunk genre. Instead, most of the time it's the same shit: EVUL CORPS! AUGMENTATIONS! ARE YOU A ROBOT OR ARE YOU A MACHINE?! HACK THE SECURITY SYSTEM! and of course, it all takes places at night in shady slums or uber-techy buildings. I just hope at some point people would stop just ripping off Blade Runner and Neuromancer.

I wish people would focus more on other stuff, like alternate reality cyberpunk, biopunk, less noir riffing and so forth. There's so much more cool shit you can do with stuff like time travelling, drugs that fuck up your mind, body horror, FUCK, at least give it a distinct visual look.

I mean, look at The Long Tomorrow, the Moebius comic that more or less invented cyberpunk. Just look how visually distinct it is, most people would say you're crazy to call it cyberpunk (where's the uber dark stuff? where's the hacking?)

I don't know, just my two cents. Generic cyberpunk bores the shit out of me nowadays.

Cyberpunk is on a kinda of criativity corner these days, even cyperpunk writers complained about this but are you talking about games? We hadn't a single decent cyberpunk game on generations but anyway having seen the Bitcher 3, this game will be full of cutscenes, some mediocre TPS/FPS shooter with barely any RPG on it, beautiful but shallow as fuck, I have no hopes for CDPR making a genuine good games cyberpunk or otherwise.

naossano

Cipher
I would say that Cyberpunk wasn't there much for many years, then, since last year or so, there are many many of them, recently released or still in production.
But only an handfull of them will stick to memory.

Sjukob

Arcane
I must be insane, I often feel like I'm the only person on the planet who's FUCKING BORED of goddamn cyberpunk
Bro .

Yes , I completely understand you , although I dream about decent steampunk RPG , but will gladly accept anything but cyberpunk .

But wait , what is this
time travelling

NO ! FOR FUCK'S SAKE NO ! NO FUCKING TIME TRAVELING UNDER ANY FUCKING CIRCUMSTANCES ! NO BULLSHIT TIME PARADOXES ! NO FUCKING ANOTHER WORLDS OR SIMILAR SHIT !
I was never happy with those ideas , they always ruin things , much like wandering souls , undead , gods and similar shit !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom