Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Iteration is important. One could say that Baldur's Gate wasn't ~fundamentally~ different from previous D&D games but it outsold all of them combined in a relatively short period of time.

Yeah it was real-time and you only needed to create one character but I doubt those two aspects were the only thing keeping the masses away from D&D games.

Machocruz

Arcane
This needs to have fairly robust cybernetic implant and weapon systems, the level of the Genesis Shadowrun at the very minimum, for me to be interested. I want dermal weaves, targeting systems, nano-wire, razor nails, reflex boosters -all that shit. If not, fuck this game. Frankly, I'd have more faith in Rockstar pulling off an open world, 3rd person cyberpunk game with those kind of features than anyone who has to name drop Bethesda games to get cred.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This needs to have fairly robust cybernetic implant and weapon systems, the level of the Genesis Shadowrun at the very minimum, for me to be interested. I want dermal weaves, targeting systems, nano-wire, razor nails, reflex boosters -all that shit. If not, fuck this game. Frankly, I'd have more faith in Rockstar pulling off an open world, 3rd person cyberpunk game with those kind of features than anyone who has to name drop Bethesda games to get cred.
Rockstar tried to implement RPG elements into San Andreas and they were awful, worse than CD Projekt even.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Iteration is important. One could say that Baldur's Gate wasn't ~fundamentally~ different from previous D&D

One could say that it was. Otherwise all RPGs are the same or all D&D games are the same.

it outsold all of them combined

Link or it didn't happen.

Yeah it was real-time and you only needed to create one character but I doubt those two aspects were the only thing keeping the masses away from D&D games.

So, what then? Yeah, I'm sure what was keeping the masses away was that those games were not as RPG as Baldur's Gate and not general accessibility, which has fuck all to do with "iteration".

And hey, just a thought, but maybe Baldur's Gate was so successful because it was the first D&D RPG in 4 or 5 years and probably the first RPG in about the same time. I DON'T KNOW.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Name dropping Bethesda in the Triple-A market is hardly surprising. Their games don't cost a lot of money to make, they're extremely popular, and they sell a ba-zillion copies. They're pretty much the "go to" comparison about any economic or game design conversation pertaining to role-playing games, even in situations where their style isn't applicable at all (Ossian Studio's Shadow Sun being a recent example).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
One could say that it was. Otherwise all RPGs are the same or all D&D games are the same.
Execution and iteration are the main differences when it comes to most D&D games.

Link or it didn't happen.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/13/index/7637945/12
Lukas Kristjanson said:
And then we pretty much outsold all other D&D branded products combined, which probably scared the crap out of some people. And us.
As far as Gold Box sales figures go, one or more of the compilations claimed they sold a combined total of over a million, BG sold two million.

So, what then? Yeah, I'm sure what was keeping the masses away was that those games were not as RPG as Baldur's Gate and not general accessibility, which has fuck all to do with "iteration".

Accessibility is a part of iteration. The easier a user interface is to use, the better it is.

And hey, just a thought, but maybe Baldur's Gate was so successful because it was the first D&D RPG in 4 or 5 years and probably the first RPG in about the same time. I DON'T KNOW.
1998: Baldur's Gate
1997: Descent to Undermountain
1996: Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
1995: Ravenloft: Stone Prophet, Deathkeep

By the by with the except of TGA, those were all real-time and used a first person perspective. :M

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Ok, so Skyrim in Cyberpunk. Thanks for clarification. Interest lost completely.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ok, so Skyrim in Cyberpunk. Thanks for clarification. Interest lost completely.
"Skyrim" is shorthand for open world RPGs much like how Doom, Diablo, Mario, GTA, etc. defined their respective genres.

Machocruz

Arcane
Rockstar tried to implement RPG elements into San Andreas and they were awful, worse than CD Projekt even.

Well I heard that GTAV was like Saint's Row 2 in terms of customization options, and Rockstar is better at world building than Volition so I just name dropped the former. They could do something similar to the vehicle customization, but applied to cybernetics. Shape the unlockables feature into something that is more RPG or lore-friendly (i.e. not getting more stamina because you finished a mini-game).

Longshanks

Augur
Cautious optimism as far as the setting goes. Cyberpunk can easily go derpy, but it is at least a relatively rare choice for RPGs.

Boleskine

Arcane
Cyberpunk 2077 "will be a true RPG game," says CD Projekt RED

While still just a hope and a whisper in the minds of genre fans, Cyberpunk 2077 is set to stay true to its RPG roots, according to a new interview with developer CD Projekt RED CEO Marcin Iwinski. He tells IGN the game's sci-fi setting takes its role-playing cues from the Polish studio's much-celebrated Witcher series.

Now, I'm not sure who on planet Earth would imagine a game based on Mike Pondsmith's original pen-and-paper Cyberpunk RPG without the role-playing, but it's obviously an idea Iwinski feels he has to respond to in this new interview.

"People have been asking me if Cyberpunk 2077 will have multiplayer or if it will be a straight-up shooter, and I tell them to relax, because it will be a true RPG game," Iwinski says. "We are known for storytelling, and big game worlds, and so we’re taking all what we've learnt from previous three Witcher games, as well as the open-world aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077. So yes, it is an all-out RPG game, but we're looking at having a lot of new gameplay elements that I cannot talk about yet. One thing I can say for sure is that it is definitely NOT a multiplayer shooter."

That's not to say Cyberpunk's Night City wouldn't be a great place to stage a multiplayer shooter. But I suspect the team behind The Witcher have different plans, even if we did hear talk last year of Cyberpunk 2077 including some kind of "multiplayer features." Role-playing, a branching narrative, and meaningful character development are burnt into the DNA of the first two Witcher games, and I expect the same from the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt when it releases later this year. A cyberpunk game with a similar attention to detail? Sign me up.

Hat tip, CVG.

bonescraper

"We are known for bullshittelling, and big maketing words, and so we're taking all what we've learnt from our console UI design, as well as the pop-a-mole aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077. So yes, it is an all-out "RPG" game, but we're looking at having a lot of "new" gameplay elements such as sticky cover, regenerating health and epic scripted events. One thing i can say for sure is that it's definitely NOT a multiplayer shoother (it's a singleplayer shooter)" Iwiński says.
Ooh, i can't wait...

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What ever he might mean with "true RPG game" -- outside of Witcher esque narrative structurings, what kind interpretation of the rulesystem will it have...

Fucking hell, I'd so wish this to be a good game, I had much fun with 2020 back in the day; that Mike the league of potatoes can somehow pull this off without creating a lazy scifi Witcher with glorious graffikZzzz... or just another action bullshit with pseudo deep writing and a few numbers thrown in for the show that we're in no shortage of.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Role playing game games.

They're making a true (vague word that people will interpret differently) game.

Of course there's no question they're making a game with role playing.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Well, I am sceptical about this title, but maybe they achieve a worthy successor of Deus Ex 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom