Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope that the akshun-popamole elements will be slick enough to be at least moderately fun on their own, and not just a slog you have to get through between the RPG parts.

I also obviously hope that the RPG elements will be good enough that you'd want to slog through popamole to get to them :)

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm fine with aktshun as long as the story, world design and quest design are good. I like shooters and shit though, so I'm less afraid of hybrids than most here.

oljebox

Educated
I still think this will likely be better than Shadowrun Returns, even though I mildly enjoyed that well enough.

Setting the bar really low there, Roguey. Why didn't you pick something even worse?

I'm worried that the gameplay's going to be boring and repetitive again. Also that they'll interpret "mature" as "lots of swearing and boobs" again.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
How can you be concerned with writing and characters when CDP RED already gave us such masterpieces as:

"Your mother sucks dwarf cock!"

"My favorite kind of magic - lesbomancy!"

"Why to pricks go in cunts? It's the natural order of things!"

"Do pigs have tight asses?"

Also let's not forget the trolls:

"What's in the pot?"
"Soup - elf an onion. Gooood. Want try?"
"I don't really care for onions"
"Stupid witcha. Elf good taste with onions...Tomato like."

Although in all seriousness apart from the usual overdose of profanity they're capable of writing decent serious characters. Nilfgaard's ambassador was really good in Witcher 2, so was Iorveth, Roche, Henselt and the rest of those deeply involved in the political plot. They also have Pondsmith making sure the setting doesn't go into retardo territory. Really the biggest concern is the gameplay, especially after the roll-a-mole combat of Twitcher 2 and alchemy dumbing down.

hiver

Pondsmith aint going to be making sure of anything. Except his own books.
CDProjekt owns all the rights to this game. All control.

He will be kept for PR and marketing stunts and be an "adviser" on some smaller stuff they decide they can let him make an opinion about, which will be disregarded if it doesnt fit with their plans.

Why am i explaining this to you people?

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
CDProjekt owns all the rights to this game.
Which Pondsmith choose to sell them for a good reason, given he refused to other devs for years.

I doubt CDP will turd up the story; they're capable of good writing and they did a rather good job reflecting the atmosphere of TW books.

hiver

Yes, he sold it. Which means he doesnt have any control over it anymore.

And i didnt say they will fuck it up at all.
In fact, today, he could do no better in AAA design studio choice.

Which doesnt mean they will not fuck it up either.
We will have to wait and see for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Setting the bar really low there, Roguey. Why didn't you pick something even worse?

It'll definitely be better than the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games which were extraordinarily awful.

I'll be shocked if it has worse combat than the first Deus Ex. Dunno how it's going to compare to Human Revolution.

subotaiy

Cipher
If it's going to be a shooter I don't see how they can ruin the combat, it's pretty bare-bones anyway. Then again, it's CDP.

subotaiy

Cipher
If it's going to be a shooter I don't see how they can ruin the combat, it's pretty bare-bones anyway. Then again, it's CDP.
You sir, need to play Deus Ex and System Shock 2 :obviously:

Well, what made Deus Ex great for me were mostly the other gameplay elements (hacking, sthealth, atmosphere, story); wacking people with the nanosword or taking them down with the silenced sniper was nothing to special. And yes, I have to make time to play SS2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But they didn't have popamole mechanics and regenerating health...did they?

Deus Ex has recharging health actually, and the energy cost is almost negligible. Also the game is insanely easy overall, you can run around shooting popamole style if you want to.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.nowgamer.com/ps4/ps4-pre...ique_mix_of_nextgen_hightech_and_lowlife.html

Cyberpunk 2077 - The Unique Mix Of Next-Gen, High-Tech And Low-Life
Sam Smith

Cyberpunk 2020 will become Cyberpunk 2077, thanks to its original creator Mike Pondsmith and The Witcher developer CD Projekt RED - here are the first details on the upcoming PS4, Xbox One and PC game.

Published on Dec 12, 2013

If you were going to pick a development studio to make a game based on a classic tabletop RPG, which would you choose? It’s a question that had often played in the head of Mike Pondsmith, creator of the beloved game Cyberpunk 2020.

Over the years, he’s had several offers to turn his vision into a digital reality.

"There have been some fairly big players, which non-disclosure agreements do not allow me to discuss," says Pondsmith.

"Something always happened to bring the project to a premature end. Often the team broke down because of external factors, like they couldn’t get enough money together. I remember a memorable case where I really loved the prototype, and then the president of the company was drafted and had to go back into the military."

That all changed when Pondsmith received an email from The Witcher developer CD Projekt RED, expressing interesting in creating a new Cyberpunk videogame.

"To us it made sense to adapt something that we enjoy playing,” explains gameplay designer Damien Monnier. “The world of Cyberpunk is so gritty, mature and deadly – it really fits the sort of games we make here at CD Projekt RED."

"They were asking me questions about stuff and the background history of Cyberpunk 2020," explains Pondsmith, "which showed they genuinely knew their stuff and were not just slapping a label on it, which happened with some of the larger companies we had talked to. They have the capability, they have the money, they have the team and they have the desire to do the real thing, as opposed to something that just has our name on it."

It's enough to get existing Cyberpunk fans drooling, but those unfamiliar with the RPG or the general concept of cyberpunk might not understand what all the fuss is about.

Cyberpunk as a sci-fi sub-genre originated in the writings of William Gibson and includes films like Blade Runner and manga like Akira. The general idea is "high-tech and low-life."

Technology has enabled humanity to do incredible things, but rampant social decay and a huge divide between rich and poor has created a decadent, lawless society rife with crime, substance abuse and filthy slums. Human augmentation is a standard practice, the line between man and machine becomes more blurred by the day.

The visual style is immediately arresting and evocative of an Eighties vision of the future. Enormous, dark cities with towering skyscrapers and terrible overpopulation lit by neon streams and roaming searchlights, the sun never reaching the ground level through layers of concrete.

Quality of life isn’t exactly a priority.

The tabletop RPG is set in 2020, but the upcoming videogame will be in 2077, and working out how things have progressed in the time in-between is one of the biggest challenges for Pondsmith and CDPR. Luckily, the series already has a rich history that they can draw from.

"The biggest battle we are having is we have to regress the technology enough to where we wouldn’t find a natural process of technological development," says Pondsmith, "where you are walking around with jet packs and flying cars and winged helmets. Lucky for us, we had a Corporate War that damn near destroyed most of the planet."

Not only that, but a flood of lethal computer viruses has meant people can no longer communicate over the net. In many ways, the tech of 2077 is less advanced than that of 2020, and this is a key to maintaining the cyberpunk feel according to Monnier.

"To keep the feeling of cyberpunk, you kinda have to keep things broken just enough. You have to keep the technology curve down to where it’s still people, interacting on a personal level."

That’s all we know so far, with no gameplay to judge and little idea of when to expect the game beyond '2015 at the earliest'.

CDPR is currently busy making The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk won’t be done until it’s good and ready.

The wait might seem long (and it is) but this is a bunch of guys that we know can make an excellent game. We’ve waited so long for a great cyberpunk game, we can wait a couple more years.

The full Cyberpunk 2077 preview can be found with screenshots and boxouts in issue 237 of Play, available from iTunes, Google Play, Zinio and more.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have absolutely 0% hope for this (it will be shit AKSHUN GAME PRESS A POP A MOLE crap). And it fucking pisses me off, because this is another PnP setting I loved to play in, long ago.

There should be a law, that when a PNP rule system is going to be made into a game, it has to be an actual cRPG. Not yet another shitty dumbed down console shit action game #864392.

Yes I am very angry.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't give a fuck. I just want nice cyberpunk enviroments and maybe some decent action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom