Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

Why I am not surprised?
Why should we be surprised? Everyone knew from day 1 that this will be a Witcher and Deus Ex: HR like action RPG.

DeepOcean

Arcane
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

Why I am not surprised?
Why should we be surprised? Everyone knew from day 1 that this will be a Witcher and Deus Ex: HR like action RPG.
I'm a hopeless optimist.:(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There will never be an AAA non-action RPG ever again. Dragon Age was the last one.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
Can't say I really give a fuck...the only thing that makes a AAA game "AAA" is a bloated budget; the majority of which goes to mid-level execs, Voice acting and marketing.

the very term AAA game is just another way to say "this bubble will only get bigger until it fucking bursts its shit all over the industry."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There will never be an AAA non-action RPG ever again. Dragon Age was the last one.
Game of Thrones? Though perhaps not quite AAA, it was still a multiplatform release.

I wouldn't say "never." Look at the console XCOM.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Considering how bloated AAA budgets are it is impossible, unless somebody with a fortune rivaling that of Bill Gates funds the thing by himself. The question is though should we give a fuck? Do we really need the latest in shaders, post-processing, cinematic cutscenes and celebrity voice acing? Or do we just want games with solid gameplay for which an AAA budget is not required.

Also TBH I'm just hoping for something like an open world Bloodlines, with better (and hopefully as lethal as FNFF in the PnP) combat. That's really the best we can expect. The game's combat being twitch-based is hardly a surprise considering the potato track record.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
High heels are disgusting. I demand the right to play as a woman in comfortable shoes.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hey, you can't emulate the PnP's 80s art style without high heels on bodacious babes. It has to be rad like that, even if it makes little sense in the crime-ridden world of Cyberpunk where a street firefight is not exactly uncommon. Wouldn't it make sense to make transforming shoes which retract the heels and change shape when in combat in such a situation? Could make a shoes corp into a major corporate power with those.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So CD Project devs are all males who don't know much about women and they have to ask their PR manager about it because she is the only woman there? How lame.

Well, at least they are trying to do some research:troll:

Hellraiser

Arcane
In more Cyberpunk 2077 non-news, CDP RED reveals how many people they have working on both AAA projects.

210 total with over a hundred working on Witcher 3, most of the rest works on Cyberpunk while a third significant but not too big team works on the engine for both. Also apparently the licensing deal with Pondsmith and R. Talsorian Games is very broad so CDP can milk it with inanities like comics, CGI movies and similar. But for now they are focusing on the games, apart from that Dark Horse Witcher comic deal.

Also in true gaming industry hype-generating fashion supposedly Cyberpunk 2077 is mind-blowing, however they have shown precisely jack shit. One more year of this and we can start labeling it as vapourware.

:troll:

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also in true gaming industry hype-generating fashion supposedly Cyberpunk 2077 is mind-blowing, however they have shown precisely jack shit. One more year of this and we can start labeling it is vapourware.

Mindblowing in a good or bad fashion? :smug:

From what I can remember from all the (what few's out there, and what few insights they provide) interviews, it will most likely be a standard fare acshunRPG popamole (the words "dicerolls are superboring" echo in my mind). A technowitcher that'll hopefully (since Mike is involved) carry enough intrigue in its setting and story to be finished once. Who knows, though, maybe they'll surprise us - but I wouldn't bet money on that.

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
In more Cyberpunk 2077 non-news, CDP RED reveals how many people they have working on both AAA projects.

210 total with over a hundred working on Witcher 3, most of the rest works on Cyberpunk while a third significant but not too big team works on the engine for both.

210 Poles cost about the same as 21 BioWare Gaiders...

CDP will never go out of business so long as their programmers/artists and designers can be paid in potato wedges.

Also, The Witcher is considered a national treasure and achievement. This is neither a lie nor an exaggeration.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It won't exactly be "standard fare achshun RPG popamole" since standard fare popamole action-RPGs aren't open world games.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That hair was thick enough to be split, apparently. Let's anticipate for an exceptional standard fare acshun RPG popamole +1, then.

Bah, time will tell, but I'm not hopeful for anything special (good on me if my doubt turns unfounded).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It won't exactly be "standard fare achshun RPG popamole" since standard fare popamole action-RPGs aren't open world games.
GTAIV/V with sci-fi technology :)

Alternately, Watch Dogs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yessssss.

I still think this will likely be better than Shadowrun Returns, even though I mildly enjoyed that well enough. Turn-based or real-time, execution is what matters.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Well at the very least Night City will make a more convincing sandbox scale-wise than Witcher 3 since it is just one city and surrounding wastelands which are also supposed to be in the game. Here's hoping for proper vehicles as highway battles are after all an important part of the setting with Nomad families and all that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom