Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

Abstraction is great in, say, isometric RPGs. Not so with first-person action games
Judging by designers removing it from isometric games too (like removing misses in PoE and leaning to determenistic systems in PoE & DOS), and people raging on X-COM I'd say it's not so simple.

Deterministic systems are not less abstract than stochastic ones. Chess is completely deterministic but pretty damn abstract.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

There is nothing worse than the FPS purists and that sadly is also a plague in the Cd projekt forum

Back when the first teaser was released the fan of the pen and paper game were willing to help give suggestion and cooperate many time giving good suggestion to make the game adapted in a real time combat. What pissed me off is that everything suggest even in the E3 demo that this is not an RPG at all.

Cd projekt this time is spreading lies or half truth let me do some quotes.

a) You will create your character from the ground up: False because V cosmetically will have a selection based on presets yes you can put stat and skills but in the end what will make you progress in the game is the stat COOL also the game have levels (Very not cyberpunk at all and totally different from the pen and paper so much that totally breaks the spirit of it) also V is not your character but is a predefined one just like geralt the difference is you can chose if is male or female.

b)We don't want gatekeep the dialogue with skill and stats: THis mean in favour of Cinematic and narration V will not have different answers ((at least this was their intention but they are reiceving a bit of backlash by this)) depending on social skills.

c) Cyberpunk is an rpg it has skill stats and perks: What we know about it is they are very gamey like and again this a total departure from the progression of the pen and paper that again is based around points and not levels... You finish a run you get some point to invest to raise your skill.

d)We don't want the player to agument at the point to become a cyberpsycho: Another departure from the pen and paper system were you can agument as much as you want but doing so you will lose humanity and if your humanity will fall too much low you will become a cyberpsycho now we know that implants have humanity cost in the game but probably is there to limit the player on how much agumentation he can take.

e)You can make limbs totally chromed? CD projekt answered: We don't know yet. Once again we know the guns will be super duper moddable but another part of the cyberpunk pen and paper here seems to be gutted.

f) Did any of you looked at the inventory system? Because in the demo you don't have a loot screen when you are hovering on a body and the inventory seeems to have just 4 slot of weapons slot for equipment but not a general window for general loot probably the looting in the game will be dumbed down as taking buttlets,swap weapon and suck bullet with your hands passing on top of the body very first person shooter like.

g) The game already have double jump,heat seeking bullets,jedi force shield katanas,stimpack,regenerating health... ((that have no place in cyberpunk but hey the FPS purist needs to have their hand holding and say goodbie to the cyberpunk lethality on combat))

h) Cd projekt refuse to answer even in great line to some questions such as:

The dialogue is affected by skill and stat?

You can loot bodies?

How the stat and skill system works?

Also this bad habit of the lead designer to decide what is and what is not immersive to everyone.

I don't know guys to me they are missing a lot pen and paper fan are super upset and FPS fanboys are litterally insulting them to move criticism.

Cd projekt went from..

"Let's do finally the cyberpunk game the fan of the pen and paper dreamed about"

to

"Let's make the game cool and flashy full of micheal bay like action"

RPG my ass is just an open world shooter.

Abhay

Augur
You will create your character from the ground up: False because V cosmetically will have a selection based on presets yes you can put stat and skills but in the end what will make you progress in the game is the stat COOL also the game have levels (Very not cyberpunk at all and totally different from the pen and paper so much that totally breaks the spirit of it) also V is not your character but is a predefined one just like geralt the difference is you can chose if is male or female.
As per this article,
COOL was actually a stat in Mike Pondsmith's Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop RPG, as well. Cool, along with empathy and attractiveness, were your main social stats. But cool was also about your character's ability to stay calm in combat. Here's a description from a character creator:

"This index measures how well the character stands up to stress, pressure, physical pain and/or torture. In determining your willingness to fight on despite wounds or your fighting ability under fire, Cool (CL) is essential. It is also the measure of how 'together' your character is and how tough he appears to others. Rockerboys and Fixers should always have a high Cool with Solos and Nomads having the highest of all."

This should also clear your doubts regarding the dialogue system that you believe to be only cinematics, not having different options/choices (answers) that depend on social skills.
I don't understand why you metion about the cinematics here, since even in the demo there are no cinematic talking with cutscenes. Its all real time
dialogues depending on the situation and the character's interaction in a given mission, which obviously depends on the choices you make, or different approaches you take. The latter part is something not yet shown in details with all kinds of different approaches available since it'll give away a lot of the story (or lore?) elements.

Also, take a look at these articles as well:
Cyberpunk 2077 Will Have a Complex Consequence System

CYBERPUNK 2077: PUTTING THE PUNK BACK INTO CYBERPUNK
“It’s about telling story via what happens, not cutscenes or other features,” Mateusz says. “To do that we need to create a totally new unique dialogue system – we’re doing that right now, it should be awesome.”

Another departure from the pen and paper system...
...another part of the cyberpunk pen and paper here seems to be gutted.

Mike Pondsmith, “It’s pretty damn close to what I would have made myself, alone in a broom closet.”
The biggest hurdle, according to Pondsmith, will be capturing the spirit and the feel - not just the workings - of the world itself. Developers can create a world that’s incredibly complex when it comes to infrastructure or how technology works, but without the right spirit there’s nothing keeping it from becoming just another grim sci-fi dystopia. What makes Cyberpunk unique is right there in the title - the punk. “It isn't all grim, dangerous and painful,” he says about the dark future he created for 2020. “There's this sense of rebellion, and fighting back, of hell-raising that should come with that. That's why it's Cyberpunk not just Cyberpain.”

Game director Mateusz Kanik
Cyberpunk hasn’t been as easy to adapt as a video game as you might think. Pen and paper mechanics have been the foundation of many digital RPGs over the years, but they do not translate well into the kind of game that CDP is trying to make. “The game mechanics are totally different on paper, they don’t work in video games because they would be super boring,” Mateusz says.

“It’s more like a Tarantino approach,” Sebastian concludes.

The dialogue is affected by skill and stat?

You can loot bodies?
Maybe because this is common sense that you obviously CAN?

How the stat and skill system works?
Yes, CDPR has answered but not in complete details. We'll need to wait. The game is still in work in progress, and the players can expect changes in the final version of the game, which is why they are not talking too much about the things that you are complaining right now. there's nothing to lie here, since CDPR clearly said that the game is subject to changes in future. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL GAME!!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But if it doesn't have levels, or something called levels, how will the casuals who have no idea PnP exists know that it's "an RPG game"?! Then CdPR would get backlash for that. I can already see the thoughtful youtubers with unfinished social sciences degrees going into deeply rehearsed rants.

Prime Junta

There is nothing worse than the FPS purists and that sadly is also a plague in the Cd projekt forum

Nah the RPG purists are worse. "Who cares if the gameplay is shitty as long as muh stats."

I'd much rather play a good immersive sim with solid gameplay, multiple approaches, and choice and consequence than a janky RPG/FPS with controls that are intentionally clunky to simulate bad character skills.

(I'm also perfectly fine with not calling it a RPG.)

And hey, if you want a great game where everything's derived from your stats, Disco Elysium.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah, it's best to market games as everything at the same time:

"It's an RPG! Look, we have XP, and levels, and mods, and unlockable stuff!"

"But it's 1st person, and you mostly shoot guns!"

"And you also have deep story and carica... characters!"

"Multiple ways to solve quests - sneak and hack stuff or shoot them up! Unheard of freedom!"

Like I said, the gameplay demo only made me more uncertain what this game will be about.
Here is a test for you - how would you describe this game to a friend in one sentence? So far, all I'm getting is "A nuDeus Ex in the Cyberpunk world".

Latelistener

Arcane
RPG my ass is just an open world shooter.
Why the sudden epiphany? If it's not clear yet, here is the summary:

1) They don't give a shit about your PnP and neither is Pondsmith, who is a sellout and will allow them do anything they want as long as he gets payed.

2) They're aiming for braindead Twitcher fans, which means a lot of unskippable cutscenes and muh cinematic, so later fanboys will claim that it has a revolutionary quest design.

3) They also want a bit of GTA and Borderlands (Division, Destiny, Diablo or any other grindy games in the same style) audiences, so that's why:

a) Your character is a criminal who has to rise through the criminal ladder (although you can be almost anyone in Cyberpunk 2020) and has a "charismatic" sidekick:

b) Levels above enemies heads, damage numbers and the "looks like we found some loot" line are clear references to:

2013-08-29_00003.jpg

latest

Prime Junta

Here is a test for you - how would you describe this game to a friend in one sentence? So far, all I'm getting is "A nuDeus Ex in the Cyberpunk world".

Witcher 3 in a city, with guns, deckers, and cyberware instead of swords, signs, and mutagens.

(I'm down with that FWIW.)

Prime Junta

... which is completely worthless as a data point because there is no power in the universe that can project an accurate release date for a project like this, that far into the future

... which is completely worthless as a data point because there is no power in the universe that can project an accurate release date for a project like this, that far into the future

That far? It's just a little over a year from now, and these are some foreign publisher of the game. Anyways, sometime next year seems to be when people were speculating this would be released due to them having some "untitled AAA RPG" they haven't talked about yet beyond it being a thing that's targeting a 2021 release.

Abhay

Augur
deus ex human revolution with worse story and a open world
it will be a forgettable romp, basically a singleplayer MMO
You are so wrong. So far nothing suggests anything of the sort.
The story might be the only thing that could make or break this game, but otherwise as a single player game I don't see this as a MMO. Its going to be a much better TW3 experience set in an urban backdrop with a futuristic theme. Its more than likely going to surpass the nuDeus Ex's easily. I see C2077 as a tribute to the classic Deus Ex 1. It may not be as great as the gameplay of the first Deys Ex but I am confident about the game being much better than any modern open world game.

Its really sad how people are attacking this game as if they want this game to fail. I thought people liked CDPR

Why this sudden hate?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
yes a open world FPS is a tribute to deus ex 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom