Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News CD Projekt announces two Witcher 3 expansion packs, available for pre-order

mahdi

Liturgist
Looks like they need money for Cyberpunk.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
To me the line is to be an expansion it must include enhancements and not just moar content. Whether it's simply better graphics, overhauled mechanics, improved UI, or something along these lines. Just more quests and story and maps is a campaign or module.
So that makes Broken Steel an expansion (it raises the level cap, gives new perks, etc.), as opposed to Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta? Does not make much sense...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The true 'expansion' pack died many years ago. To the above: I'm pretty sure all the FO3 DLC raised the level cap by five levels each -- Broken Steel just let you continue past the main quest.

SniperHF

Arcane
So that makes Broken Steel an expansion (it raises the level cap, gives new perks, etc.), as opposed to Operation: Anchorage, The Pitt, Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta? Does not make much sense...

Never played those.

But I think if you are going to apply the expansion pack concept to the download era it has to do what old school expansion packs did. And all of them I can think of made alterations like that.

Example:
NWN2: MoW - New maps, story characters = Adventure Pack
NWN2:SoZ - All that plus a new World map system, classes, feats, economy = Expansion Pack

Azeot

Arbiter
I don't get why people are saying this is cut content.
The alien thingymagig companion from ME3 was cut content. The DLCs for DA3 were probably cut contents.
But two DLCs for a total of 30 hours to be released months later the main game, which is already substantial? What the fuck? Do you want to developers to sit with the thumb up their butt for a year before you decide that whatever get released isn't just a moneygrab?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I think often happens is that some plot element that was originally cut gets expanded upon into something larger than it was originally meant to be for an expansion. So a DLC/expansion can be both "cut content" AND substantially new at the same time.

Black

Arcane
Potatoes were always too tolerant of jews, now jews are in their video games.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What I think often happens is that some plot element that was originally cut gets expanded upon into something larger than it was originally meant to be for an expansion. So a DLC/expansion can be both "cut content" AND substantially new at the same time.

Yeah, it's probably gonna be a mix of financial and practical considerations. A grey area. The "hur hurrrr greeed" brigade is retarded.

Agreed with MicoSelva tho. From a PR standpoint it's clearly a bad move, judging from the reactions. It's either they hadn't really thought it through or they need the moneyz right now, PR shitstorm be damned. The latter is quite scary tbh.

Israfael

Arcane
Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine? I hope this Obilivion simulator would be at least above BSB level for me to consider buying it. TW1 was a fine game with more emphasis on the story rather than combat systems, and i'd be glad if they continued into that direction (maybe even something Die Nacht des Raben-esque, with more or less alive world and not plastic ersatz like Bethesda games)

Darkzone

Arcane
With PoE you could also preorder the expansion way before (at least half a year) the game was released. And the New Vegas DLC were all not bad, and the Pitt was the best DLC for Fallout 3.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What is the problem of they announcing they are going to make expansions? If the game is bare bones on launch or is lacking key story elements obviously intended for DLC, I see the outrage but right now CDProjekt just said they are going to make expansions what is pretty fucking rare on unsubstantial DLC land.

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
Where lies the border between DLC and expansion pack? How many hours of content does an add-on need to become an expansion? Questions, questions.
According to an old CDPR interview:
pn2imJE.png

What is the problem of they announcing they are going to make expansions? If the game is bare bones on launch or is lacking key story elements obviously intended for DLC, I see the outrage but right now CDProjekt just said they are going to make expansions what is pretty fucking rare on unsubstantial DLC land.
People like to get angry about things these days I guess. :roll: Obsidian and Harebrained Schemes both announced expansion packs before even having their games funded and nobody gave a shit but CDPR is cool to hate on atm for some reason. It's not like they even try to push this as some sort of necessary pre-order your game will be incomplete without or anything like that:
Hearts of Stone is expected to premiere this October, while Blood and Wine is slated for release in the first quarter of 2016, so there's still plenty of time ahead. We're offering you the Expansion Pass now - it's a chance to pre-order the two expansions and even show your support for the devs. But we can't stress Marcin Iwinski's words enough:
“Don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call."
Just seems like people are still sore after seeing day1 DLC being on the game disc too many times or something so they should have waited until after release to announce them and be more vague about what they contained I guess. I for one will wait and see if the game feels complete or not before getting out my torch mob gear.

I accept gog game codes and store credit in exchange for further posts defending CDPR from retards, JudasIscariot
:M

Darkzone

Arcane
Just seems like people are still sore after seeing day1 DLC being on the game disc too many times or something so they should have waited until after release to announce them and be more vague about what they contained I guess. I for one will wait and see if the game feels complete or not before getting out my torch mob gear.
And i will as always wait for the Enhanced Edition, so that i will have no problem with any shit, that was in the game before the EE.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To the above: I'm pretty sure all the FO3 DLC raised the level cap by five levels each -- Broken Steel just let you continue past the main quest.

Nope, that was NV. For FO3 broken steel added 10 levels to the cap (and was more expensive IIRC). The rest were smaller and added no new levels.

GloomFrost

Arcane
If it is even half as good as the "night of the raven" it is worth the money, but will wait for enhanced edition. W3 will be a glitchy, buggy, unoptimised mess straight after the release anyway.

Azeot

Arbiter
I'm pretty sure most of those who are saying "waiting for EE" are going to pirate the game on day one anyway...

Paul_cz

Arcane
If anyone thinks this is cut content from the game then they are indeed dumbfuck.
I was hoping they would make Toussaint visitable, nice to see it happen.
You are fucking shameless. Someone just rename this guy Paul_CDP
I am shameless at not being a stupid dumbfuck, not sure why this offends you.
The game has been in content lock for months now, just polishing and fixing bugs. It is obvious their designers and writers are not just going to sit and twiddle their thumbs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Judas, you should at least give Paul_CDP a free t-shirt or something for the amount of viral marketing he does for you all.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Judas, you should at least give Paul_CDP a free t-shirt or something for the amount of viral marketing he does for you all.
I can buy my own clothes and videogames, dumbfuck.

what the hell is this shitty font

AngryKobold

Arcane
Content and optionally also certain feature set cut from the final version to meet the deadline. No time to get it implemented completely, approved, tested. Turned to material for optional "expansion set". Manpower spent on polishing the game in existing shape instead.

A likely story, considering:
- already postponed release
- actual PLANS for the add- ons
- all pollacks having jewish genes due to century- long coexistence
- it's a standard business practice

Brain dead fanboys.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom