Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

buffalo bill

Arcane
In addition to Caves of Qud, I’m currently playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4 and Azure Saga: Pathfinder on Steam.
They should fire you.

Seriously, did you even look at this forum? Do you really think we need a description of the game and link to the steam page?

I’m 100% serious: you seem awful and the devs have obviously made a management error.

PrettyDeadman

Hi Everyone!

I’m Joe – a new community manager for Caves of Qud by Freehold Games. I’m a lifelong gamer and play a lot of different things. In addition to Caves of Qud, I’m currently playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4 and Azure Saga: Pathfinder on Steam.

I have been a community manager for a wide assortment of games for the past 15+ years – everything from shooters and RPGs to strategy and TCGs … and I’m excited to be working with Freehold Games. Caves of Qud is a sci-fi roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants.

Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through a layer cake of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide for yourself: Is Qud a dying planet, or one on the verge of rebirth? Check it out in Early Access on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

Looking forward to chatting with everyone and seeing all the other great indie projects launching soon.

Joe with Freehold Games
http://www.cavesofqud.com
https://twitter.com/cavesofqud

1)
In addition to Caves of Qud, I’m currently playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4 and Azure Saga: Pathfinder on Steam.
Putting your personal tastes/information in introductory post as a community manager seems a bit strange and inapropriate. I know you try to introduce yourself, but this sentence came off really awkward.

2) This is 13 pages thread about Caves of Qud. Putting link to game website or steam store page seems redundant, since its a very old info and you can be sure that anyone who visits Caves of Qud thread already knows this.
It might be a good idea to better format first post, put some picture of the game, screenshots and links to various sources (including link to steam page, which should be formatted as a media source, not a simple link) and make it sticky. You can try contacting rpgcodex administration about that, not sure if they are going to do it, since it involved nonconsensual editing of other user's post.

3) If you DO want to provide some useful/interesting information, link something new / obscure like Jason Grinblat's twitch channel where he livecodes his game or video of one of his many talks on roguelike conference or something.
Preferably put information when it's appropriate - link to new video, or anounces of streams what are going on / vods of recent streams.
The information you linked would've suffice if it was an obscure game and you posted it to a general roguelike games thread, but for a title which was out for many years and has a 13 pages thread the things you posted just seem pointless and lazily formatted, borderline trolling.

Hopefully you will deliver interesting information about this game in the future.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Hi Everyone!

I’m Joe – a new community manager for Caves of Qud by Freehold Games. I’m a lifelong gamer and play a lot of different things. In addition to Caves of Qud, I’m currently playing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on PS4 and Azure Saga: Pathfinder on Steam.

I have been a community manager for a wide assortment of games for the past 15+ years – everything from shooters and RPGs to strategy and TCGs … and I’m excited to be working with Freehold Games. Caves of Qud is a sci-fi roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants.

Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through a layer cake of thousand-year-old civilizations. Decide for yourself: Is Qud a dying planet, or one on the verge of rebirth? Check it out in Early Access on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/333640/Caves_of_Qud/

Looking forward to chatting with everyone and seeing all the other great indie projects launching soon.

Joe with Freehold Games
http://www.cavesofqud.com
https://twitter.com/cavesofqud
Seems like copy/paste to me.

On a somewhat related note, big thanks to everyone who recommended the game in this thread; I bought it back around the time it got released in EA, but only actually got around to playing it a couple of months ago and it's just brilliant. Almost 100 hours in and it's still fun to test and discover new things.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They should fire you.

Seriously, did you even look at this forum? Do you really think we need a description of the game and link to the steam page?

I’m 100% serious: you seem awful and the devs have obviously made a management error.
Codex welcome greeting is a forum equivalent of a Belfast kiss.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
Atmosphere, lore (including the hand crafted writing), and some of the character building is great. Rest of the game is still meh imo.

It feels aimless, and the procedural generation is ass. I actually prefer the sandboxy nature but there is nothing to do but wander around, look at bad procedural level generation, and wonder about who thought open levels with massive numbers of pointless enemies was good design.

But of course its still EA, and im still optimistic

PrettyDeadman

Atmosphere, lore (including the hand crafted writing), and some of the character building is great. Rest of the game is still meh imo.

It feels aimless, and the procedural generation is ass. I actually prefer the sandboxy nature but there is nothing to do but wander around, look at bad procedural level generation, and wonder about who thought open levels with massive numbers of pointless enemies was good design.

But of course its still EA, and im still optimistic
What do you think the game lacks? More build diversity, more equipment, more enemy types, more quest types, more story quests, more premade locations or something else entirely? Are there other roguelikes you play that feels more feature complete which Caves of Qud developers should look at?

Considering you comment on it being in EA still. The game has a roadmap, you can check it out to see what they are planning to implement : http://www.cavesofqud.com/roadmap/

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Not MORE, but BETTER.
Procedure-generated lore, as someone mntioned before is MEH, and serve no purpose.
Procedure generated maps is MEH.
More handc-raftted stuff I ssume.

Elona is pretty feature rich, and fun to play if you don't mind a bit of grind.

Aimless is a good summary of the game as mentioned above. I have it on steam apparently, with about 20 hours clocked in, but the only thing I remember is getting lost and slaying kobolds or someshit without any direction or clue on what to do next.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Elona is pretty feature rich, and fun to play if you don't mind a bit of grind.

Does it have permadeath?
It has... options in that regard. You can set a permadeath/ironman flag and this gets you the best score multiplier AFAIK. You can also play with the ability to reload saves. The game seems balanced around playing ironman without permadeath though- penalties for dying are quite severe, including permanent stat/skill loss and partial loss of equipment.

Not MORE, but BETTER.
Procedure-generated lore, as someone mntioned before is MEH, and serve no purpose.
Procedure generated maps is MEH.
More handc-raftted stuff I ssume.
Yeah, my take on what CoQ needs to focus on right now is less on the systems and more on the content. The skill tree should have more options, there should be a lot more interesting locations akin to vaults in other roguelikes (legendary craftsmen were a good start at least) and just generally more things to do besides grind through samey wilderness or go through the motions of the main questlines. More hand written quests would be great. The existing towns feel pretty hollow without enough stuff going on in them. I think each of the existing towns should have at least 3 more handcrafted quests, with rewards other than common loot and xp. Doing a sidequest to be taught a skill, or gain mutation/attribute points, or get a security card- those are the kinds of things that are missing from the game. Right now you can go to six day stilt, get some free xp, and throw grenades down a well for faction rep. Aside from that, it's not especially interesting if it didn't spawn the shops you need for your character build. Having a sidequest to create a shop of a chosen type would be cool.

It also needs to do more with the faction rep. As it stands, you basically just increase factions wherever you can and trade it for secrets. It would be great if there were sidequests that were going to really destroy your rep with important factions, and really change up the game. Having a viable character that can't deal with the caravans or has befriended the goatfolk instead of the bears would make replays a lot more interesting. You can do these things currently, but there's nothing to be gained by doing so.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Aimless is a good summary of the game as mentioned above. I have it on steam apparently, with about 20 hours clocked in, but the only thing I remember is getting lost and slaying kobolds or someshit without any direction or clue on what to do next.
The best content is currently in the mid game, post-Barathrumites. Golgotha is a good dungeon with unique mechanics, and Bethesda Susa is pretty good. Enemy diversity and difficulty also improves. I’d suggest trying to get past the early game as fast as possible (you can cut straight to the stilt for quick xp, to avoid annoying early game grinding).

They should fire you.

Codex welcome greeting is a forum equivalent of a Belfast kiss.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Watch it there bucko, I'm from Belfast.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/333640/announcements/detail/1678037020114480821

The Generated Villages and Alternate Starts Feature Arc

"Joppa? Never heard of it." -Mehmet

Previously you began every game of Qud in Joppa, a starting village with handcrafted architecture, history, customs, NPCs, and player quests. Joppa’s consistency helps new players acclimatize to the strange world of Qud, both its unfamiliar, far-future setting and its hybrid handcrafted / generated approach to worldbuilding. But for veterans who’ve started dozens+ games of Caves of Qud, the opening can feel repetitive. So, as an alternative to Joppa, we added procedurally generated villages to start the game in. They have their own generated quests that’ll take you through the early game and link you back up to the trunk of the main quest. Or you can you use them as a launching point to explore the world on your own terms.

The two big cornerstones of this patch are village generation and dynamic quest generation.
In addition to the starting village, we added villages across the rest of Qud, too. Every aspect of these villages is generated, including their own unique histories that are discoverable through various storytelling traditions. They also include their own fully dynamic quests. In sum, generated villages are a culmination of all our generative systems work up until this point.

• We added generated villages across Qud. Each village has its own generated faction, history, architecture, relationship with local resources, storytelling tradition, proverb, signature dish, signature skill, named & unnamed NPCs, and quests.
  • We added a fully dynamic quest generation system that produces unique quests for each village. This may have additional applications in the future.
  • In addition to Joppa, you now have the option to start the game in a generated village in one of four regions.

• Each option has its own benefits.
      • Random village in the salt marsh:
        • Village teaches Harvestry.
        • +50 reputation with insects and fish.
        • Start with a pair of croccasins.
      • Random village in the salt dunes:
        • Village teaches Fasting Way.
        • +100 reputation with reptiles.
        • Start with an Issachari banner.
      • Random village in the desert canyons:
        • Village teaches Wayfaring.
        • +50 reputation with equines, tortoises, and vines.
      • Random village in the hills:
        • Village teaches Butchery.
        • +100 reputation with hermits.
        • Start with a blood-stained neck-ring.
    • Starting villages are guaranteed to have two questgivers, a warden, and a merchant.
    • Starting villages are guaranteed to have a quest that gives you a recoiler reward and a follow-up quest that leads you to Grit Gate.
  • Added a new quest, A Signal in the Noise.
  • Added various types of monuments that depict village histories.
  • Added a whole slew of new furniture, including chairs, beds, floor cushions, dressers, tables, vessels, and high-tech furniture.
  • Added procedurally-generated wall types sourced from plant parts, animal parts, or metals.
  • Added a new static faction, the Farmers' Guild, and dozens of new generated factions.
  • Added procedurally generated stone and marble statues.
  • You can now pray at shrines and statues.
  • You can now desecrate shrines and statues.
  • Fixed many, many bugs and made many other small feature tweaks.
  • As with everything in Qud, villages will continue to grow.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It's like its their fixed idea to make everything procedurally generated.
They need to stop with this crap... because Elona feels as less mindless grind-heavy game then this.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Damn, I try not to post anywhere, since I'm basically an advertisement account, but seeing this post over and over again in the feed made me loosen my lips!
I love Caves of Qud so much! I mean I can name a few roguelikes that are much deeper, and a lot of hand-made RPGs that are better, but in this combined niche of pre-set + generated games, I think none are cooler than Qud, with Elona taking the 2nd place! First of, for me, it's the language. I doubt all native English speakers use the words that this game uses! Such a heavy set prose makes the game stand out, and for me at least, makes even the generated histories matter and have some weight. It's beautiful! Like imagine it said something along the lines of "U come from some vault" in the character creation part! Instead it says you're from an ARCOLOGY! What a word! Makes you think of crammed hallways and tight living quarters, sweat and existential pain much more than some "vault". Also, I love the atmosphere it weaves, that classic sci-fi inspired collision of primitive and high-tech in a melancholy fueled world long past it's prime. What pictures it paints! You, wearing tribal beads, pants taken from a dog-man and mystical shoes, fighting a long forgotten, rabid robot that has no more purpose, while wielding a rapier in one hand and a blaster in the other, on a flower field, near some awesome ruins, that nature reclaimed, and made into an inhospitable maze of poisonous vines and evil insects! Just makes my back crawl! It's like you're a protagonist from some Weird Tales story! This + the water thing makes this game "Dune: The random, usually unfair text adventure", a game I always dreamed of!

Here's hoping "Joe – a new community manager for Caves of Qud by Freehold Games." will do his best! ;---DD

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
First of, for me, it's the language. I doubt all native English speakers use the words that this game uses! Such a heavy set prose makes the game stand out, and for me at least, makes even the generated histories matter and have some weight. It's beautiful!

Agree, this is the best part of the game. Even thou I didn't understand most of the words and was need to use dictionary, they sounds like music. I was charmed.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - July 20, 2018
JULY 20 - ALPHABEARD
  • We added several new historic events that make village histories much more diverse. Examples include trait-based reasons for congregation, regime changes and new types of government, and new culinary developments.
  • Increased the diversity of village populations, particularly for the choice of warden.
  • There's now a menu option to fill empty liquid containers.
  • Fixed an issue with village item placement.
  • Fixed an issue with gyrocopter backpack.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some stat-boosting historic relics to incorrect require energy cells.
  • Fixed an issue with domination where the dominated creature moving offscreen and then dying caused the dominator to die too.
  • Fixed an issue that caused historic site visitation quests to not complete.
  • Fixed an issue with gaslight weapons not using charge.
  • Fixed an issue causing beguiled pets to stop following you.
  • Fixed some issues with article formatting.
  • Fixed a rare exception in beguiling.
  • Fixed a rare exception during village generation.
  • Fixed the copyright date.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - July 27, 2018
JULY 27 - PTYCHOMANCER
  • Added a new village government type: anarchy.
  • When you go to the world map and then immediately return to the local map you were just in, you're now placed in the same tile you left from.
  • Village wardens now attack wild beasts or snapjaws that make their way into villages.
  • Objects traded to merchants are now considered part of their trade stock.
  • Equipped items no longer used as ingredients when you whip up a meal.
  • Quest items are no longer used as ingredients when you whip up a meal.
  • Village signature dishes no longer include neutron flux as an ingredient.
  • Fish are now always placed in tiles with water.
  • Items in inventories that get de-stacked due to ongoing effects now re-stack properly.
  • References to Joppa in books, quests, and advertisements now respect Joppa's state of existence.
  • You can no longer place a container you're carrying inside itself, thereby blinking it out of existence.
  • Updated the description for Albino.
  • Klanq no longer asks you to puff on village factions.
  • Klanq no longer asks you to puff on factions without members.
  • Fixed a generated text bug with fungi dialog.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Someone wrote a review: https://ryancolxire.wixsite.com/the...es-told-by-losers-who-wanted-to-become-heroes

I don't agree with everything, especially reviewer's criticism that all builds play identically (even early on). But I do mostly agree with the following:

the quest-designs all boil down into kill and/or fetch quests where the only differences between run is what manner of creature gives you the task. Every now and then you can get a choice to boost one reputation as well as tick off other factions, or you can respond differently to a quest-given, though often minimally.

Quest design could definitely be better/more interesting, involve more C&C and NPC interaction.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, builds are... psionic or not. If not - melee or not. If melee - mutant or tk.
Can't see much difference there.
Alos if melee - weapon or unarmed.
That's all.
Freeze Ray is the ultimate shit you need to survive, chain pistols - ultimate duals, overcharged laser pistol suck flabby dick in comparison to powder and lead which is suck on itself.
That's really all.

I can say that Elona has much-much more content than every roguelike I played.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - August 3, 2018
AUGUST 3 - ALPHABEARD
  • Cats and dogs now let you pet them if they like you. Some domesticated cats and dogs will let you pet them if they merely tolerate you.
  • New book: Eta and the Earthling, Canto I.
  • Changed the name of a character in From Entropy to Hierarchy.
  • Energy cells now only stack if they have the same charge level.
  • Two-faced helmets and helping hands no longer prevent body parts other than the ones they're adding from being dismembered.
  • Equipping headgear into a slot currently occupied by a two-faced helmet no longer annihilates the headgear being equipped.
  • Updated Mental Mirror's description to better reflect its implemented behavior.
  • Fixed an issue causing chrome pyramids to fail to generate their force fields

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - August 10, 2018
AUGUST 10 - PTYCHOMANCER

• Added a new item: fidget cell.
  • Added new level-up sound effects for both the player and other creatures.
  • You can now pet all village pets.
  • Hyrkhounds are now properly considered dogs.
  • Mental mutation levels granted by equipment and meals now count toward your psychic glimmer. Note that this change applies to true kin, too.
  • Hindren clue items no longer appear as randomly revealed secrets via trash divining or mumble mouth.
  • The 'Leap, Frog' achievement can no longer be attained by learning to jump from someone other than a frog.
  • Enabling autoget scrap no longer autogets any artifact that can be disassembled.
  • Walking next to a regeneration tank with freshwater and artifact autoget enabled no longer mysteriously obliterates the tank into a puddle of freshwater.
  • Temporal fugue clones of NPCs now reliably get along with their clone-parent and clone-siblings.
  • Cybernetic implants on temporal fugue clones are no longer recoverable via dismembering.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the temporal fugue clones of psychic hunters and evil twins to have infinite duration.
  • Fixed an issue that caused some items thrown by temporal fugue clones not to properly dematerialize.
  • The description of regeneration tank now more clearly communicates what the item requires in order to function.
  • Tweaked some Mechanimist holy language.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - August 17, 2018
18 AUGUST - ALPHABEARD
  • Added two new creatures: feral lah and tumbling pod.
  • Added a new plant: lahbloom with harvestable lah petals.
  • Added a new cooking ingredient: dried lah petals.
  • Added a new option to the campfire menu: preserve exotic foods. This option is for manually preserving foods that are otherwise consumable and so excluded from bulk preservation.
  • Luminous hoarshrooms now preserve into freeze-dried hoarshrooms.
  • Shade oil tonics now preserve into congealed shade oil.
  • Updated tile for luminous hoarshroom consumable.
  • Pickled mushrooms and freeze-dried hoarshrooms now count as mushrooms for the purpose of triggering mushroom-related meal effects.
  • You can no longer preserve things that you haven't identified.
  • Gave mutated flowers and bushes more appropriate stats.
  • Fixed a rare exception when inanimate objects called for help after suffering lethal damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom