Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Qud (ROGUELIKE)

Codex Year of the Donut
Melee build is basically dead ever since they nerfed daggers, which were the only viable melee build because you could stack agi and get like 20 DV. Without that you're just a pincushion.
have you tried playing a true-kin melee build?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Define 'viable'. Can you take out panthers and slumbering hulks without using cooldowns? Can you kill a saltback? Can you survive being shot at from a chain gun at point blank? Last time I tried melee all that shit was basically impossible, because you're either a glass cannon or you hit like a kitten.

Damned Registrations

People did cybernetic fists run, what are you talking about not viable...

How does that work, there are no 'unarmed' skills right? Do you have to make a mutant as I have not looked at all the mutations yet?
If I had to guess it involves spending a shitton of time and effort using psi powers and not so much actually punching things.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Seems like the mental mutations are the easy mode, or at least the 'get out of jail free' stuff with teleporting, force fields etc. Not that its bad to have those options in this game but it makes the True Men look really weak beyond very early game. Which I guess is why they are recommended for new players. Sort of a noob trap tho...

Anyway I just lost my highest level dude (14), was delving way down into some random dungeon on a ruin tile, found my first flamethrower, felt like a BOSS, two steps east see my first Rhinox = Tough. Well lets see how tough it is eating some hot flaming death! I shoot once and the death screen pops up... Mr Rhinox charged across the room and one shotted me for a bazillion damage in a single step.

Well thats roguelikes I guess? Still not sure how I feel about it, could be cool if your corpse stayed there and you could go collect it with a new guy or something like that.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's no reason to be pure melee in this game. All characters can at least become decent with ranged weapons with a modest attribute and skill investment, ranged weapon damage does not scale, only accuracy.

Espers are the most OP builds, but devs implemented the Psychic Glimmer mechanic to keep them on their toes. If you accrue too much of it you will be hunted by nasty things like extradimensional Chrome Pyramids that will kill you if you get careless.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
How does that work, there are no 'unarmed' skills right? Do you have to make a mutant as I have not looked at all the mutations yet?

I rememberd my words and did it.

BDK7S.jpg

Fists counts as Cudgels, so you need Cudgels and Dual Wield for additional off-hand attacks.
So far so good, also I accidentally scummed that nice pistol AND nuclear cell - had no idea item roll could be like this... Fired it a few times just for the sake of safety.

Well thats roguelikes I guess?

Devs said it's unbalaced now, later they will balance this crap.
I met it once, and manadged to run away with my 20+ DV.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
9 Pen on fists? Thats gonna cause some pain! Thanks for the info, I will have to try out a fist guy sometime.

Yea that Rhinox hits like a fuckin' train, I assume its a late game enemy and I just got really unlucky to run into one.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
It is, but it can spawn everywhere, also normally it should be on 20 floor, where I met it.
And it actually using Cudgels and fist attacks...

PS Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo found fullerite fists.

BDOFE.jpg

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Half hour ago was 18.
Defence strategy? Stack DV like crazy, also high Toughness and HP. Found implant Translucent Skin - +2 DV, current 24 DV.
With good footwear it will be 26. I think its possible to rise it to 30.
Implants for True Kin only.

Damned Registrations

Decided to fire this up again, and holy shit it's waaay easier with all the extra xp and better gear available. Think I'll do a tinker build finally.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Got a few very nice implants, even don't know what to install...
Meanwhile my fists have 10 --->.
Found special site, where everyone were armed with revolvers, semi-automatic or laser pistols, one even had eigenrifle.
Got like 50 laser weapon from it. I thought I'm rich True Kin...
Already sold almost all.................

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - March 9, 2018
March 9 - ptychomancer
  • Albino ape hearts now count as meat.
  • Ogre ape hearts are now properly treated like other organs and corpses.
  • Watervine farmers now wield iron vinereapers like their descriptions say.
  • Sentient walls, doors, and tables now appear in more creature contexts. (Examples: as figurine models, Mechanimist converts, and esper assassins).
  • Cleaned up the logic around dynamic encounters and expanded the dynamic encounter framework.
  • Fixed an issue that caused improper options to occasionally appear in the item action menu of cybernetic implants.
  • Fixed an issue that caused occasionally caused zone building lockups while exploring very deep caverns (depth 30 and below).
  • Fixed a rare issue that caused historic sites to fail to build.
  • Fixed another issue that caused slotted solar cells to multiply indefinitely.
  • Fixed a slew of typos.

Damned Registrations

Does the lava farming exploit still work?
It totally still works and is infinitely more useful with all these legendary merchants. Time to start gearing up my 8 limbed, 2 headed flying monstrosity with legendary and high end super modded out equipment. Should be super balanced. Also infinite faction with everyone thanks to booksellers that restock inventory.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Does the lava farming exploit still work?
It totally still works and is infinitely more useful with all these legendary merchants. Time to start gearing up my 8 limbed, 2 headed flying monstrosity with legendary and high end super modded out equipment. Should be super balanced. Also infinite faction with everyone thanks to booksellers that restock inventory.
Yeah, they should just lower the value of lava.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw these legendary crafters - what the difference with their weapon?
Doesn't see anything in stats, they are the same.

buffalo bill

Arcane
Feature Friday - March 16, 2018
MARCH 16 - ALPHABEARD
  • Extradimensional psychic hunters are now vulnerable to mental attacks regardless of their base creature types. (after all, they somehow acquired minds in their native dimensions...)
  • When you look at an extradimensional creatures or item, you now inscribe a note about its native dimension in the Gossip & Lore page of your journal.
  • Walls in other dimensions no longer block visibility unless your mind is appropriately altered.
  • You can now fly and jump over gates, fences, stakes, and rubble.
  • You can now shoot missile weapons through arrow slits, gates, fences, and over rubble.
  • Flaming jets, freezing jets, acid jets, electrical jets, and light beams now pass through arrow slits, gates, fences, and over rubble.
  • Gas and light seep through arrow slits, gates, fences, stakes, and over rubble.
  • The Pauli exclusion principle now properly applies to NPCs.
  • Turning off autoget on artifacts now takes precedence over other conflicting option flags.
  • Water ritual participants no longer offer to teach you blueprints you already know.
  • Fixed another issue that rarely caused energy cell duplication.
  • Fixed some more typos.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
While it's funy, actually I want less things like mayor-rifle turret of Sheba Hagadias - rifle turret.
It just doesn't make sense.
In ELONA it served in a way it doesn't bother you, here they cooudn't do like that.

buffalo bill

Arcane
While it's funy, actually I want less things like mayor-rifle turret of Sheba Hagadias - rifle turret.
It just doesn't make sense.
In ELONA it served in a way it doesn't bother you, here they couldn't do like that.
I think I agree, but I'd put it this way: their hand-crafted content is overall quite good, and the procedurally generated content is always of a much lower quality. I understand the dev desire to include as much procedural content as possible, to make playthroughs always different, but they could make a much better game by focusing on actually-written content.

I think this will get even worse if they implement more proc-gen quests: maybe this could be done in a fun and exciting way, but I suspect it will end up just being even more fetch quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom