Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst Catyph: The Kunci Experiment - Myst-like spiritual succesor to ASA

trustno1code

Prophet
Official website - http://www.catyph.fr/index.html
Black Cube devblog - http://2011asa.blogspot.fr/
The Icehouse (artists collective tumblr) - http://www.theicehouse.fr/
Greenlight - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267433263

Introductory film:

Simon Mesnard said:
In 2062, Men from Terra have access to a new technology from a mysterious Black Cube they found 5 years before. With this new power, they decide to explore their solar system, in search of signs for intelligent life. They send you at the discovery of planet Catyph and its moons.

It’s a 1st person adventure game with traditional point & click gameplay similar to the Myst series, to be released in the Summer of 2014.

Catyph is a spiritual sequel to my previous game ASA: you're an astronaut with no specific identity, sent in mission by the people of your planet, Terra. You're all alone and you need to use your brain to progress in the game.
The gameplay is basically the same, but there are many things I wanted to improve. First of all, Catyph will run in HD (1920x800), which has been possible with the use of another engine : Visionaire Studio. Good news, this soft is now in version 4, and brings great improvements, like the possibility to publish on Mac!
HD is not the only thing you should remind. Catyph will feature video transitions between each frames (that you can disable anytime in a single click), several difficulty levels and a more developed story. Several characters will talk to you to make the story progress. And last but not least, the diary of ASA has been replaced by a datalog, which contains everything you learn in the game.

tumblr_n2ldqi02U01tw2grqo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n2ldqi02U01tw2grqo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_n2ldqi02U01tw2grqo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_n2ldqi02U01tw2grqo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n3amnlvwLc1tw2grqo1_1280.jpg

Crooked Bee Jaesun @adventuregamerswithgoodtaste

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
Looking solid.

It's a shame ASA wasn't on more services, like GOG or Steam.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looking solid.

ASA was greenlit a long time ago actually: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95628194

However, it doesn't seem to be actually sold on Steam (yet). I wonder if there have been technical problems or something.

EDIT: On Apr 5, the developer wrote regarding the Steam version, "I'm actually doing my best to bring it to you as soon as possible." So I guess it will be on Steam eventually.

Boleskine

Arcane
Looking solid.

ASA was greenlit a long time ago actually: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95628194

However, it doesn't seem to be actually sold on Steam (yet). I wonder if there have been technical problems or something.

EDIT: On Apr 5, the developer wrote regarding the Steam version, "I'm actually doing my best to bring it to you as soon as possible." So I guess it will be on Steam eventually.
Great news! Now that you mention it I recall the news about being Greenlit.

GOG apparently said, "No thanks."

trustno1code

Prophet

And some shots of a more snowy age region.
Vysynia07.jpg

Vysynia08.jpg

Vysynia09.jpg

Vysynia10.jpg

Vysynia11.jpg

Vysynia12.jpg
The author's been posting some quite in-depth "Making Of" material on TIG forums.

And on the ASA Greenlight/Steam release subject:
Simon said:
Sorry to keep you waiting with the release of ASA, really. I'm now having troubles to retrieve an EIN number from the IRS (required to sell on Steam), but I'm confident that it will be solved soon.
However, this delay allows me to prepare a little surprise and I can tell that the release of ASA on Steam will bring something new to the game.

Catyph's on Greenlight as well btw.

buzz

Arcane
Hello everyone, thanks for your support but bad news : GOG just refused ASA.
The game doesn't meet the technical expectations. The level of graphics is too low and there are some interface problems.
"I really am sorry that we won’t be releasing ASA, there are many good things about the game but overall we just weren’t convinced."

:retarded: what the fuck is wrong with gog, guyse? Are they run by witcher fanboys now or what?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yup, GOG's full of graphicwhores, so people who believe GOG will accept e.g. Grimoire in an instant are just fooling themselves. It seems they strictly separate "classic games" from new releases in this regard.

buzz

Arcane
I wanted to believe that as well, but ASA looks absolutely gorgeous, certainly better than some of the visual vomit available on GoG recently
048fbda2fbe1fc58c7cce20b1149ae97c4157aff.jpg

d5f1787a59cfbe3fe26bed19cb62326cdfa57ca0.jpg

0e7e7f4997a2b552de3d5691fe05b235d5bd9518.jpg
Seriously, what the fuck is the last one, a myopia simulator?

Sadly, I think this might be worse :(. The game was probably tested by a bunch of impatient retards who couldn't get past the first door and rage quit, thinking there's something wrong with the game and inventing some really flimsy excuses.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2864/P30/#68806

As announced two weeks ago in the last part of this Making Of, I decided to share with you a playable prototype of Catyph. I find it interesting, because it illustrates quite well the different things that were described in the Making Of. After you play this prototype, if you are curious, you can read the previous pages of this thread from the beginning, which may give you a better idea of what I was talking about in the Production stage.

The word ‘Prototype’ is important, because what you will see cannot be considered exactly as a demo. It’s more an experiment made for myself in order to see the possibilities of Visionaire Studio and the different options I had to create the game. This prototype is not something I had considered to share in public, on the contrary of a demo. That is the biggest difference between a prototype and a demo.

Even though it is playable (you can move between different scenes), it is also very short and limited. The inventory is disabled, such as the menu and the datalog. You can open the door of the small building (which is quite easy), but you cannot open the gate on the opposite path. The storyline is absent too.

I think this prototype describes quite well all the work there is still to do on the game, from the Production Part (previously explained) to the final touch: localisation, proofing, music and sfx, beta-testing… This is also why I decided to share it now, because it is a good summary of the whole game development process, with all the troubles I can encounter now and later.

As an early build, it probably contains issues and spellings. The texts were not proofed here.

It was initially created with Visionaire Studio version 3.7, and updated in Visionaire 4.0. Visionaire 4 gives more possibilities and allows Catyph to run the video transitions without showing a black screen after each move. However, I find that VS4 requires more system resources, and as a result, the game can be quite slow sometimes. It is important to say that this prototype has not been well optimized. The game may not run on low configs.

The events take place in the desertic region of Kynan, where incessant methane rains fill the seas of hydrocarbons of moon Tytaah. You make your first steps on this land, just after the end of the original Catyph short film (this one: http://vimeo.com/84080449)

There is no end in this early version, you must quit the prototype by yourself by pressing Escape. For more details on the gameplay, please read the short Readme.txt included with the files.

Your feedback is welcome, you can send your comments here or get in touch with me by email. Thank you!

>> Download playable prototype of Catyph <<

This definetely ends the Production stage of the Making Of.

I must resist to be not sopiled...

buzz

Arcane
His most played game is Bejeweled 2 Deluxe for 127 hours :what: something's really messed up with that user

Explorerbc

Arcane
I got the idea (from the video) that it might be a first person puzzle game. I'm just clicking pointers and moving about but have no idea where I'm headed, almost seems like random movements.

:negative:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Surprisingly enough, this game has a story mode among other difficulty modes:

20160515185819_1.jpg

I get why the developer is doing it, but I think it's pointless. No casual player will buy it anyway.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Turns out Adventure Gamers reviewed Catyph and rated it 4/5: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/30652

The Good:
Intriguing science fiction theme; exotic alien surroundings; intricate story; lots of puzzle-based pleasures; good hint system; impending disaster adds zest.

The Bad:
Some hair-pulling puzzles can be overwhelming; timed pathway puzzle in particular is a gobsmacker; Blue Matter resource management is annoying.

Our Verdict:

A love letter to gamers who prefer first-person, devilishly difficult, puzzle-heavy adventures, Catyph offers tasty dollops of sci-fi and a hint of Myst.

Cool of them to do it. Hopefully that resulted in some sales.

I'm slowly making my way through the game and I'm enjoying it a lot. The transitions are a bit clunky and I agree with AG that the Blue Matter system is pretty pointless, but overall, like ASA, it's a very good Myst-like.

Boleskine

Arcane
50% off this week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom