Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
You are right, my mistake. Certainly looks like a hottie.

Hope she doesn't get trolled like that chick that worked in Ubisoft. That was quite brutal.

Repressed Homosexual
It was brutal and awful, but it's true that Ubisoft kept featuring her prominently everywhere just to promote the game by desiring to titillate male gamers, while she is quite a smart woman. There was even a picture of the team where she was at the front, and everyone else in the development team was in the background.

likaq

Arcane
All questions that were given answers by the team.
Where text is indented after a Q: means another person has responded to that question before the official answer:

Q: Will we see the original Carmageddon games on GOG.com or Steam?

A: Stay tuned for further announcements…

(Um, don’t literally stay tuned here, all night.)

Q: What will you do if you don’t get the $400.000? I hope you don’t cancel the project.

A: We’re really confident that the campaign will be successful – it doesn’t feel right to speculate about a different outcome!

Q: I am aware you don’t talk about "this shit", but did you get to play Carmageddon TDR and judge it by yourselves?

Did you know Torus Games mentioned you in the Credits saying "They were sorry and knew what you guys felt about the franchise"

What is the average number of peds you are going to place in each map, are you heading for Carma1 quantity (The Wall, 5k peds) or Carma2 (700-900 peds average)

What are the minimum system requirements you expect the game to run on?

Madman Tony is coming back for more PratCam epicness… Is Faye Morey returning for Die Anna as well? Are Die Anna or The Hawk coming back as main protagonists to go with Max Damage/The Eagle at the beginning of the game?

Are you planing to include Carmageddon 2 cars to Reincarnation? Propshafter was (and still is) my favourite, it had the best handling of the game, imho.

Is there any TDR2000 easter egg/pun planned? Come on guys, you can tell me

Are you listening to your fans in order to add more content, powerups, etc? I’ve heard something concerning Solid Granite Peds from some very charming guy called Psyrgery there in the Carmageddon forums..

A: I have tried to play TDR, but I just didn’t like the look and feel of the game. I’m sorry if people who did enjoy it are miffed by our attitude (which is rather over-played for comic effect, tbh), but as we had no involvement in it, none of us has any emotional link to it other than the distant memory of bitterness at the time it all happened. It’s nice to hear about the comment from Torus – and we have no ill feeling towards those guys whatsoever.

Number of peds? Per level, it’ll vary with the level, but for example our prototype city level has 1500 for a nice level of density.

Min system requirements? The game’s going to be really tweakable for performance, so it shouldn’t be an issue with a relatively contemporary pooter.

I SPOKE TO FAYE TODAY! I swear – first time since she finished her filming session in 1996! She called me at home to say sorry she’d not accepted my FB friend request but she thought I might be a weirdo. Her husband worked out that I was probably legit and got her to give me a call. And so we had a nice chat, and she’ll be on the Island in a couple of weeks so we’re going to get together. We’ll try to persuade her to reprise her role… Die Anna/Hawk is coming back. Oh yes.

We might include some C2 cars, but if we don’t have time, the tools will make it easy for the community to add them!

Easter Eggs and puns there will be aplenty…

We are definitely listening, and want to incorporate the fans’ ideas. Solid granite peds is great – but as we’ll often find, it’s already been discussed here! (Because we’re thinking that some powerups should effect peds too…)

Q: I love the soundtrack for Carmageddon, it’s just so perfect. I would listen to it outside of the game as well. It was actually years before I even knew it was an instrumental version of Demanufacture by Fear Factory.

Is there any story behind getting this music for Carmageddon? And any possibility of having it (at least as an option) for Carmageddon Reincarnation?

A: I love that soundtrack too. I’ve only briefly listened to a couple of the studio recordings of the tracks, and I much prefer "our" versions. We may be able to use the tracks again – we’re actively looking into it.

Q: I was just wondering and hoping that people would vairy acording to my area, rather than being gernic male, generic female.., Fat guys, old grannys, girls with huge boobs, and the classic white Hazmat Wheelchairs bikes or other objects? such as old people with oxygen tanks,(boom) Can you confirm or deny any of this?

A: That oxygen tank idea is GOING IN! Thanks Maxine! And yes, we’ll have a very wide range of appropriate peds, for all occasions and situations.

Q: haha sick, great idea. What about someone walking around with a drip who just came out of hospital? Or a colostomy bag? imagine that thing bursting when you hit them at 50MPH!

A: Ideas like the colostomy bag, that make us all piss ourselves here (wait, it that the right phrase to use?), will almost certainly get used.

Q: Please include a Classic Soundset. The pedestrian scream and the narrator "CHECKPOINT!" are just so iconic I couldn’t really feel it being Carmageddon without ‘em.

A: Oh yes, I want to do this. But then I would, as I am 90% of the non-female sound effects in the original game… Including Max, the Countdown Guy, narrator, ped screams, etc.

I’m the Dennis Waterman of the game sound effects world.

Q: First, huge thanks to you guys! You have provided me with tons of gory fun over the years, and C2 remains one of my favorite racing games of all time.

Are you considering a mission structure more like C1 or C2? I preferred C1′s way of doing things myself, as those weird timed missions in C2 to proceed to the next set of races was one of the only complaints I had about the game. I wanted an option to just say "Screw the mission" and go and run over whoever was telling me to smash up rooftop satellite dishes.

Also wanted to ask: the way I understand it, the original Carmageddon went through a couple movie licenses that fell through? Mad Max first then Death Race 2020, from what I read. Is this true or just a rumor? Thanks!

A: Definitely closer to C1 than C2. The C2 missions – as you rightly point out – were a mistake. They came about very late in the development of C2, at a time when we’d spent the previous nearly 3 years making C1, Splatty, then C2, and for us the missions were a breeze! Unfortunately for most other peope they were a) too bloody difficult, and subsequently b) a barrier to progress.

We want to return to the unfettered "finish it whatever the fuck way you want" philosophy of C1.

Due to creeping senility, I’ve forgotten completely if SCi looked into getting the Mad Max license. I only remember Death Race 2020…

Q: Some pedestrian questions I’ve had for a while:
Will there be cyclist?
Will there be children?
Will there be colored folks?
Will there be pregnant women?
Will there be old people?
Will there be handicapped people?
Will drones have people inside which will try to exit the vehicle and run, or die if you head-on collide on them and fly through the windshield?

A: What Bf1shY says – the game will be very highly moddable, and you’ll be able to drop in what ever kind of victims you fancy. For us, our fancy doesn’t extend to the extremes of bad taste… Mainly because my mum still likes to play the game.

Drivers running about isn’t something we have planned for Carma:R. But all vehicles will have drivers who can be ejected throught the windshield in a heavy impact.

Q: I assume multiplayer will be a much bigger part of the game than before, with having the Steam platform as a base, have you planned out any system for using user-created/add-on mods on the MP games yet?

A: Yes! The ability to MOD the original Carmageddon games was such an appealing feature, having the ability to share your creations with your friends is something we are certainly keen on keeping.

Q: Are you able to match the sheer huge scale of the maps, like in the original?

A: YES! and exceed them! the massive environments are a key feature in Carmageddons gameplay, massive environments = lots of room for carnage!

Q: Have you put any thought in designing the menus yet? Bring back the hand!!

A: WE LOVE THE HAND! if we get 3,000,000 the hand is definitely going in… but we might just stick it back in anyway…if we can find it.

Q: What about it giving the middle finger to the player if he tries to choose an option he cannot choose? (e.g. trying to purchase an upgrade/car but hasn’t got enough money)

A: LOL that would be funny.. a very expressive hand sounds like a great idea

Q: Original Carmageddon had the window after the race where you could observe the damage you did to the other racers. Will it be back in Reincarnation? I remember playing with the supercop – as my brother and I used to call him – and lay waste upon the fellow drivers just to see how horribly deformed their cars would get.

A: .Yes we want this to be in the new game!

Q:

I’m the seventh backer who wants to be a pedestrian in the game. So my questions will be about the pedestrians.

What files do we have to send so your art department can skin them to your models? Can I also be the pedestrian that does all those flips from Carmageddon 2?

What is the idea on having users play as pedestrians? Will that be in a multiplayer mode or individual and can we choose the pedestrian? In other words, can I be myself running in the Carmageddon world?

Is it possible to have a "Pedestrian Riot" powerup? I’d like to see pedestrians fight back at the vehicles for more added chaos.

I’m sooo psyched for this game. Thanks for doing an IAMA!

A:

Ideally, please send us your skin. Failing that, photos of your face (ideally, one good photo of your face as evenly lit as possible, and reference photos from different angles) will be fine. And some full length photos will also help. Esppecially if you always wear the same clothes, like Charlie Brown or Homer. I’m skipping deftly over part two of your first question, because I can’t remember any flipping ped in C2. But send us a screenshot, and we’ll make it so.

We will make it possible to be yourself in the Be A Ped games. Of course.

Like it. Of course, peds are soft and squishy, and cars are hard and unyielding. So it could (probably would) end messily.

Thanks for your pledge!

Q: Please focus on making the game as fluid and responsive as possible – i.e. 60fps and low latency over higher quality graphics.

Exactly. GTA Vice City-level graphics would be more than enough, it’s the handling and responsiveness that matters.

A: Noted guys.

Q: I believe they mentioned something about releasing modding tools and using Steam Workshop for distribution of user content.

Nobby, Dave, Sim – Can we get any official word on the use of Steam Workshop?

A: This is something we are looking into.

Q: How do you think your reboot will stack up against the more recent similar games that have hit the market since your first version in the 90′s (twisted metal, blood drive etc), a lot has changed, how will you make it better and more likely to stand out from the crowd and appeal to a new generation?

A: Well, "better" is in the eye of the beholder. There will be fans of Twisted Metal who don’t care much for our brand, and vice-versa. (Obviously more of the latter, but hey…)

We think our game stands out from the crowd because of the qualities that made it great fun the first time round. Comedy violence, do what you like gameplay, and a general touch of surrealism to the proceedings. We want to retain and celebrate all these elements, and we’re confident that a new generation will enjoy them the same way we still do.

Q: Just please double check the physics are flawless, just like in Carmageddon 1. I still remember the cars feeling really heavy and realistic and then WHAM another opponent wasted!

Dr. Kev’s physics are returning – we think you’ll be happy!

It looks like you really are making the physics spot on. You can tell from those seconds in the Kickstarter video where the eagle is about to land on a rooftop, albeit brief it has a Carmageddon-ish feel which can only come from Stainless Games. Nice work guys

A: We are VERY happy with the way the physics is feeling – as we’re rebuilding the city level map, we’ve been tuning the handling for a Carma 1 "feel".

Q: Will you be hiding collectables around the map for players to find while driving round, hidden items that unlock car mods and such.

A: There is certainly going to be extra rewards for those people who like to explore

Q: Are we going to have splatter decals on the cars bodies this time?

A: yes!

Q: Will there be stats at the end of the match such as number of pedestrian decapitations or number of animals killed, etc?

A: Yes! we would like to see more stats in the new game… I personally love stats.. especially more obscure ones! Timesplitters had a great stats!

Q: What was your guys’ favorite car/driver in C1 and C2?

A: Nobby’s a fan of Val Hella, but Leadpumper is his favourite car. Sim’s faves are Screwy and the Eagle 1. I like Screwy, and the Eagle 2 from the Splat Pack.

Q: What are your thoughts on crowd-funding being part of the future of gaming

A: We think it’s a really positive thing – there have been some great projects on Kickstarter already, big and small. If it helps get games made that would otherwise have been lost, that’s great.

Q: What will the multiplayer be like for Carmageddon: Reincarnation? You mentioned that it will be plugged in with Steamworks, so will there be leaderboards and achievements?

Also, if all goes well have you thought at all about a console version down the road?

A: Multiplayer in the original games was, and still is great fun – if you were a fan then, you’re going to be very happy.

Yes, there’ll be leaderboards and achievements aplenty. The brainstorming for the latter have been great fun!

If all goes according to plan, you’ll see the game on consoles in the future.

Q: Does Steam release mean that there will be also achievements? If there are, can you give us an example?

A: Indeed there will! The list is by no means final, but we can tease you with "Multiball" and "Got Wood". Perhaps you can guess what they are…

Q: I know I’m not one of the stainless guys but I think the original game was inspired by an older movie called the "Death Race 2000" or so…

A:
The original idea was a collaboration. Patrick and I did a Destruction Derby demo. SCi gave us a contract to make a game based on it, but with a view to it being based on the Deathrace 2020 license they were pursuing. That license fell through, so I came up with the new name "Carmageddon" and we made the game!
We’re still in the umm and aah stage over the new Eagle design. The big bike style exhausts are cool, and I’d like to use them somewhere even if it was on a different car.
We’ve yet to hear from Tim or his lawyer, so now we’ve built him we might stick him in anyway. $3m bonus when you mow him down.
Shark car. Modders will help you out, even if we don’t get round to that one…
Splitting is back. And so is spitting. And spiffing.
Driver becomes ped shenanigans is beyond the current scope of Carma:R. but we DO have a habit of creeping our own features…

I hope you’ll see us at beta too… Otherwise our MP code is borked!

Q: Will there be any new animals in the game? cats? pigeons? Bears? Yeti?

A: There is a long list

Q:

Hi

I have a few suggestions to levels in Carmageddon:

The Lost World (with dinosaurs and cavemen).

A moon base (with reduced gravity when you hit the magnets)

Area 51 (with hangars full of fun stuff).

Future Tokyo (with giant robots, other robots and Godzilla-ish-monsters).

Secret surviving Nazi base on the South pole (with extra bonus for kills).

Atlantis, an ancient civilization refound (who uses Jules-Verne-ish technology).

What do you think?

A: Hey! These are great suggestions and Each of those would require a lot of work needing specific accessories etc, having said that once we have released Carmageddon:Reincarnation there is nothing stopping us looking into special MP levels . The MOD tools will allow you to create them yourself too!

Q: The first game had a lot of content in terms of the number of cars and tracks available. Can you afford the budget to remake all of them packed with more polygons? And did it will match up the quality standard of current generation of games in terms of texture resolution, and objects on screen or it is a simple HD remake like we’re used to see on the PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace? Also, do the new tracks will be of higher quality than the old ones?

A: The very short scenes featuring Mr. Schafer in our Kickstarter promo vid give a little hint of the sort of detail level (albeit still WIP at this stage) we’re aiming for – as do the latest couple of screenshots we’ve released.

Basically, we have to balance level of detail with maintaining a consistent high frame-rate, and also the level of artist man-power required to build and populate a scene. what we’ll be achieving though is going to be far more complex and detailed than the original games. We aren’t starting from the original geometry and HDifying it though.

Q: any chance of a reward tier somewhere between what there is now for only 1 copy but with the new model of the car?

That’s what the $50 Tier is, isn’t it?

A: I’m not sure if you mean the physical model or the in-game one. But in any case, some further Reward incentives and offers will be coming up over the course of the next week.

Q: Hey guys Have you thought about adding a powerup that unlocks an inherent ability in each car? Like the car with the drill on the front might have it start spinning.. or a tank could start shooting and such ?:)

Also I’ve done the kickstarter thing, which is awesome, but I’m wondering if you’ve considered adding anything for the lower tiers ?:) Not all of us can afford the 100+ range

A: Keep an eye on the Kickstarter page – Nobby updated the comments today to say there’ll be some news very soon

Q: Great stuff If you don’t mind me asking a followup.. Have you guys thought about putting in a destructible environment, like if i drive though enough walls will it bring a building down or so ?:)

A: That almost certainly won’t happen in Carma:R – due to the massive amount of extra complexity it would bring to the art tasks. There will however be "feature" geometry that can be trashed, lots of lamp-posts to use as pedestrian pool cues, and of course masses of GLASS!

Q: One of the features in C2 that impressed me the most was the cosmetic damage system, the ability to split an opponent in half was amazing, will that be a feature in the new game?

A: Yep! So satisfying.

Q: Will we be seeing the original cheat codes like iwishicouldflyrightuptothesky? Typing in long phrases in carma2 helped me learn to type fast and accurately!

A: Yes! we liked the funny cheat codes

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, there you go. They came to their senses. There will be a DRM-free version.
Awesome, because I'm not gonna keep a piece of shit program installed on my computer that I have to run every time I want to play a game.
No reason not to pledge now!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there you go. They came to their senses. There will be a DRM-free version.
Awesome, because I'm not gonna keep a piece of shit program installed on my computer that I have to run every time I want to play a game.
No reason not to pledge now!
:bounce:
Although this part
The DRM free version of the game won’t be available at the same time we launch the first release of the PC game through Steam – it will be introduced as soon as we can, afterwards.
is a bit worrying.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What I don't like is that they don't seem to answer messages on Kickstarter. All others I contacted have responded.

likaq

Arcane
Linux and Mac versions are confirmed if they reach $600,000. :thumbsup:

Astral Rag

Arcane
http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack?as=1649904300

Carmageddon Max Pack includes the original Carmageddon and its expansion Splat Pack.

Bonus content included for free with purchase:

manual
wallpaper
tips book
soundtrack
4 avatars
7 concept arts
13 papercraft cars

If you can't wait to get horrible paper cuts:

http://www.carmageddon.com/media/papercars

carma3.JPG

likaq

Arcane
New stretch goals:

$650,000!

At this level, we'll be able to guarantee that Sim will be appearing in the game as the new Die Anna PratCam (this will be an option, even if we manage to get the original Die Anna to reprise her role. In this event, we'll create a new character for Sim!). As a BONUS, both nobby and Patrick will also appear - as PratCam movies for opponents Pitbull and Vlad! This will mark the planned start of a programme to create PratCam movies for ALL the opponents!

Our FINAL Stretch Goal will layer on the AWESOMENESS even MORE! It will need us to get to:

$750,000!

Because at this level, we're committing to add not one but TWO (inter-related) extra features to Carma:R! Those features being:
Split Screen Support for PC & Co-Op Multiplayer!

These features will transform both local and online play! You'll be able to play split screen, with a close friend, in the comfort of your own home - playing regular competitive games, or Co-Op against AI... And you'll also be able to go online as a team or individuals, and take on all-comers, in regular MP battles or playing a whole new set of Co-Op based MP games! It'll take Carmageddon to a whole new dimension! Imagine actually working together, rather than smashing each other to smithereens constantly... WOW. NOVEL!!

We think this is such a good plan, we're SURE you can get us that extra STRETCH and make it HAPPEN!

:love:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can't say I'm terribly excited about their goals. Extra 50k to get that Sim chick as an opponent? Hoping for the forever alone geeks to cough up the money, huh? OOOH... person with slightly feminine features that works in a game company so obviously is totally a hardcore gamer could be in the game and then I can "crash" into her! Get it? HEHEHEHE! Then I can tweet to her about it and she'll totally sex me up!
Here, take my moneyz!!!!

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Judging from my extensive experience with Carma2 some ten years ago, I'd say they took them right off the game and slapped them on the new engine. Not sure what you feel is missing.

Astral Rag

Arcane
13ztc8.jpg

"We WILL STILL be incorporating ALL those features that we've stated as Stretch Goals.
We will still support:

MAC
LINUX
SPLIT-SCREEN PC!
CO-OP!"

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I knows. But that was the first thing that came to mind. That is the main improvement they could add to a carma game really, and something that 1 & 2 did not have.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
What engine are they going to use, cause the graphics in the video look really Lowres.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmageddon:_Reincarnation

On 7th June 2013, Stainless Games issued another of their regular Kickstarter updates which contained what many considered to be numerous homophobic slurs. Authored by 'Batwick,' the update used phrases such as "and it’s off to the noise test, which I now pass easily thanks to fitting the GAY silencer," "so I tried to stop being such a gay twat," and "I’d lost the gayness of my braking points." While a large number of Kickstarter contributors publicly objected to being sent content along these lines, Neil 'Nobby' Barnden (co-founder of Stainless Games) dismissed them as people with "sense of humour bypasses" and that this was language they were proud of. At least one of the Kickstarter contributors requesting a refund discussed that it be donated to Stonewall, a charity which champions LGBT rights and helps fight against ignorance in the subject area.[8]

Oh boy. :lol:

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stainlessgames/carmageddon-reincarnation/posts/503103

tony-radical.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom