Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Deakul

Augur
Nice, so there's hope after all. I might end up buying it after one or two more patches.
I have a Humble key or two remaining. Wanna trade something cheap for it? (this offer extends to anybody who might be interested..)

edit:
I have two keys left.

Hey, do you still have those keys left? I don't have much to trade.

I have a copy of RE4HD and Samorost 2 on Humble Bundle.

toroid

Arcane
One humble key left. Anybody wanna trade?

zerotol got it, no more left.

Last edited:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jesus fuck that looks awesome.

Trucks? Fuck yeah
Wheelchairs, biked, scootmobiles? Fuck yeah

toroid

Arcane
eSTul2d.jpg
Oh boy. A console port of Reincarnation. Exciting.
I have to admit that I'm now genuinely concerned about how the development of Reincarnation / C:MD (edit: lol.. Carma: Max Damage) will progress for pc.
Reincarnation still desperately needs a lot of polish, and I get the feeling that the Max Damage console version will be more of a cash-in than anything resembling a much needed update for the the pc version's functionality and gameplay.

Yeah how the fuck are they planning to optimize this for consoles when they still can't optimize Reincarnation properly for PC? Looking more and more like their idea for revival of the series is to make people never buy another Carma game again.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just a brief history snippet...the original Carmageddon was the same when it was released in 1997: Buggy and unoptimized. While patches did address the former, the latter was 'solved' by computers advancing so rapidly back then that the beefy machines needed to run the game properly quickly (read: a year or two) became available.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Just a brief history snippet...the original Carmageddon was the same when it was released in 1997: Buggy and unoptimized. While patches did address the former, the latter was 'solved' by computers advancing so rapidly back then that the beefy machines needed to run the game properly quickly (read: a year or two) became available.

Huh?

The original game didn't come with hardware accelerator support so it definitely had high system requirements (for obvious reasons) but it ran well enough on capable computers. I don't remember the game being especially buggy and AFAIK it didn't receive many patches, there were the various "uncensor" patches and the 3dfx Patch that was released in tandem with Splat Pack made the majestic -hires mode (640x480) playable on my Voodoo powered Pentium 200 ( :smug: )

Reincarnation is another story entirely, that game looks mediocre at best and yet it runs like a sick three-legged dog on Valium.

edit: PC Gamer review:

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But it DOES show that they haven't learned a thing about optimizing a game, have they?

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I played the first Carmageddon on 486, and it run pretty well. For a comparison Incubation run like shit on the same machine.

Astral Rag

Arcane
kSLVo7E.png

Women aren't allowed to drive and games like chess are forbidden but Carma is (was?) ok :lol:

Last edited:

toroid

Arcane
Does this still run like utter shit ?

ps : looks like it does.
Actually, it runs pretty damn well for me. And I've got a 6 or 7 year old graphics card (HD5770).

Where the game needs the most work is in the gameplay polish and balance. For example, most of the powerups that affect your car's speed and acceleration need some serious adjustments since they cause your car to become completely uncontrollable upon activation. The 'Hot Rod', 'Afterburner' and various 'Turbo' powerups make you pop ridiculous wheelies and then roll and spin sideways. Hopefully this is not the intended effect and we just need to wait for the variables to be tweaked. The handling characteristics of all the individual cars also need a lot of attention.

The controls also need a bit of work. When using an analog input (like the xbox controller's trigger) to control acceleration there is almost no gradual change between 0% and 100% throttle. The curve looks like this: _/¯¯¯¯¯. Also, the analog steering input is buffered so that no matter how quickly you move the stick the steering mechanism will only move at a fairly slow fixed rate. This makes the maneuverability of all the cars feel very sluggish, and it pisses me off since even Carma 2 had steering that responded in real time to analog inputs.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does this still run like utter shit ?

ps : looks like it does.
Actually, it runs pretty damn well for me. And I've got a 6 or 7 year old graphics card (HD5770).

Where the game needs the most work is in the gameplay polish and balance. For example, most of the powerups that affect your car's speed and acceleration need some serious adjustments since they cause your car to become completely uncontrollable upon activation. The 'Hot Rod', 'Afterburner' and various 'Turbo' powerups make you pop ridiculous wheelies and then roll and spin sideways. Hopefully this is not the intended effect and we just need to wait for the variables to be tweaked. The handling characteristics of all the individual cars also need a lot of attention.

The controls also need a bit of work. When using an analog input (like the xbox controller's trigger) to control acceleration there is almost no gradual change between 0% and 100% throttle. The curve looks like this: _/ Also, the analog steering input is buffered so that no matter how quickly you move the stick the steering mechanism will only move at a fairly slow fixed rate. This makes the maneuverability of all the cars feel very sluggish, and it pisses me off since even Carma 2 had steering that responded in real time to analog inputs.
Are you using a hobbyist driver or non-standard gamepad? I have an xbox 1 controller which installs with a rando's hobbyist driver and analog input doesn't really work for it in racing games. Like you described, rather than an analog spectrtum, games respond like button pushes are a binary 100% or 0.

toroid

Arcane
Are you using a hobbyist driver or non-standard gamepad? I have an xbox 1 controller which installs with a rando's hobbyist driver and analog input doesn't really work for it in racing games. Like you described, rather than an analog spectrtum, games respond like button pushes are a binary 100% or 0.
NeYHwvD.jpg
All axes respond as analog in the properties window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom