Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Carmageddon: Reincarnation

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
First of all, ive played and enjoyed both Carma 1 and 2. Second of all, who are you to say that Carma was never meant to be played as a racing game? It has circuits, lap count, a timer, checkpoints and you can win the map by going to the finish. So racing is there, it's just that its impossible because: driving physics are not made for it. And two, no point in doing it because you get a lot more time from crushing people and smashing cars.

So which is why i say that TDR was an improvement. It was challenging, and featured racing. Plus if you wanted, you had the free mode for fooling around.

Im not saying Carma 1 and 2 are bad, they are indeed awesome games. But TDR as i originally said is way underrated, and I told you why i think so. The clowns at Stainless can joke around and saying stuff and ignoring it, but the fact remains that the game is as fun as the previous games, and is in fact a good game.

Stainless themselves didn't want it to be a racing game, dumbass. It's a vehicular combat game, period. Beating levels by racing through checkpoints is meant to be the least fun way to play the game. You want to race, play a real racing game. Praising TDR for being more of a racing game when there are way better actual racing games... fuck man, your tag is in need of an upgrade.

What was the moment of genesis of Carmageddon as we know and love it? At what point did you decide to add pedestrians, blood, gibs, and car-on-car violence to a racing game?

Patrick Buckland: Car-on-car was the original point of the game. It came about because there were NO video games out there that encouraged you to crash rather than race (Psygnosis’ Destruction Derby was still some years away). I used to always turn my car around in the racing games of the day (e.g. Ridge Racer, Daytona etc), drive the wrong way around the track and try to smash into other people coming the other way. So I thought “Why not make a game where this is the point, rather than something your discouraged from doing?”.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No. I can play TDR both ways. I cant do that in Carma 1 or 2.

Just because you can smash into cars and run peple over doesnt mean you cant have some actual racing. TDR allows for both.

I dont care what stainless clowns have said about it. Carmageddon is part racing part destruction derby. And the one that gets the balance right is TDR.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't want to crash the conversation about TDR, but what is up with this kickstartered Reincarnation? Is it a vaporware?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Second of all, who are you to say that Carma was never meant to be played as a racing game? It has circuits, lap count, a timer, checkpoints and you can win the map by going to the finish. So racing is there, it's just that its impossible because: driving physics are not made for it. And two, no point in doing it because you get a lot more time from crushing people and smashing cars.

Most people took that as a hint. There's also the name of the game, the box, the manual, the marketing etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Thief like a Sims game, who are you to say that Thief was never meant to be played as a life simulator? It has people, houses, chairs, kitchens, swimming pools and stuffs.

Last edited:

toroid

Arcane
Stainless themselves didn't want it to be a racing game, dumbass. It's a vehicular combat game, period. Beating levels by racing through checkpoints is meant to be the least fun way to play the game. You want to race, play a real racing game. Praising TDR for being more of a racing game when there are way better actual racing games... fuck man, your tag is in need of an upgrade.

What was the moment of genesis of Carmageddon as we know and love it? At what point did you decide to add pedestrians, blood, gibs, and car-on-car violence to a racing game?

Patrick Buckland: Car-on-car was the original point of the game. It came about because there were NO video games out there that encouraged you to crash rather than race (Psygnosis’ Destruction Derby was still some years away). I used to always turn my car around in the racing games of the day (e.g. Ridge Racer, Daytona etc), drive the wrong way around the track and try to smash into other people coming the other way. So I thought “Why not make a game where this is the point, rather than something your discouraged from doing?”.

That concept is exactly what the TDR devs never grasped. TDR was a racing game first, with almost no thought put into supporting a viable destruction sandbox playstyle. HUGE fuckup.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I don't want to crash the conversation about TDR, but what is up with this kickstartered Reincarnation? Is it a vaporware?

Devs went pretty silent for a while but they have recently re-emerged and all seems well.

Carma:R progress update!
Hi Carmafans!

I am well aware that just recently our contributions to keeping you all up-to-date have been thin on the ground – borderline non-existent (compounded by the - temporary - suspension of our Twitch output)... Apologies for this. So, it’s about time I gave you all some insight into what’s currently occurring here in Carma central.

Over the past couple of months, what's previously just been a very highly pressured dev timetable for the studio has reached yet another level of high pressure, as the team strove to hit our internally set Alpha date (which we've now done - but not made any announcement about, the reasons for which I will come to shortly). Hitting Alpha has also relied on some MAJOR code re-writes, which have all been part of the push to improve performance. Included in this is some deep work on the shaders, which then knocks on to all the materials that are in the game, which then need to be modified, and so on, and the knock-on of this is that we spend yet more significant time with a game that, while progressing, is either performing or looking worse than it did the day before and continues to do so for an extended period.

And so it remains the case that the single most difficult aspect of this development has been that we all agreed, way back when, to re-write Beelzebub (our own all-singing all-dancing engine tech) at the same time as developing the game. Would we make that decision if we were starting again now? Almost certainly not. But at the time, there was no middleware solution(s) out there that were good enough to achieve what we wanted (I'm pretty sure I've said most of this before - so, apologies for repeating myself).

So as I said, we hit the internal Alpha date and have given ourselves another compressed timescale to get to Beta. But the work leading to a successful Alpha has still left the game currently needing a whole stack of data changes to make it all come together and finally work as designed. And that's why we haven't made any big noise about it.

Meanwhile, our lead programmer - having finally got a window to work on it - is flat out improving the AI, and a group of us (me and Patrick included) has moved on to the small matter of gameplay balancing (for instance, I'm about to get on with the final placement of all the PowerUps in all the events, and by that I mean actually doing it, not pointing at a map and giving orders!).

So, that's a bit of summary of where we're at, and as you've all been speculating, we're now looking at "in the New Year" as our new completion date. But this also means we're currently in busy discussion on the publishing side of the fence too (self-publishing still being a relatively new role for us, one which we are still gaining experience in and so to a certain extent making up as we go along!). So, right now I'm not in a position to make any firm pronouncement on the new release date - and to be completely honest, I don't see that announcement actually coming until early next year.

I’d like to end by reiterating our truly massive lurve for you all, and our appreciation for all the support we get from you guys – because even when there’s grumbling going on it’s clearly just born out of your frustration at wanting to see something new and actually get to play the finished game, and I’m with you 100% on that sentiment, as is the whole team!

Anyway, we’re committed to reinstating the Streams as soon as the builds allow, so we can start to tease you all with the large amount of new content that’s now in the game and reinvigorate anticipation for the game! Plus we’ll have new comps coming along, and a programme of new tasters and so on into the New Year.

Cheers guys,
nob

toroid

Arcane
Carma 2 had the most hilarious physics I ever seen in car-driving games. It was so bad, that it was actually the best.

Yeah, it was weirdly conflicted. The gravity was too low and the cars had too little traction and handling ability to allow for any decent sense of responsiveness, but those same characteristics allowed some of the craziest situations to occur.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Second of all, who are you to say that Carma was never meant to be played as a racing game? It has circuits, lap count, a timer, checkpoints and you can win the map by going to the finish. So racing is there, it's just that its impossible because: driving physics are not made for it. And two, no point in doing it because you get a lot more time from crushing people and smashing cars.

Most people took that as a hint. There's also the name of the game, the box, the manual, the marketing etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Thief like a Sims game, who are you to say that Thief was never meant to be played as a life simulator? It has people, houses, chairs, kitchens, swimming pools and stuffs.
Yeah, not even close.

I've played through TDR200 twice. Game is great fun and thats a fact. I dont play crappy games. I gave you lots of reasons why TDR was an improvement. Im not saying it was the best. Carma 2 is tons of fun too.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've just installed and played TDR 2000.[1]

It's as shit as I remember, cars stick to the ground, maps are super small, the game looks absolutely terrible and ugh jesus christ what the hell adddeed...

[1]
TJ2qR8n.png

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Yeah, not even close.

I've played through TDR200 twice. Game is great fun and thats a fact. I dont play crappy games. I gave you lots of reasons why TDR was an improvement. Im not saying it was the best. Carma 2 is tons of fun too.
you've got shit taste, is all.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Obviously the first game is the best everyone knows this..

That game was innovative when it was released

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
It's as shit as I remember, cars stick to the ground, maps are super small, the game looks absolutely terrible and ugh jesus christ what the hell adddeed...
Maps arent all small. There are some huge maps later on which are real nice. Cars stick to the ground more, hence why you're able to race not just run crap over. Game looks better than Carma 2 so whats your point?

Astral Rag

Arcane
That fucking derpstep noise argh.

:rpgcodex: wtf Stainless

Good to see some more classic Carma vehicles return, environments also look promising but the gibbing still looks very poor, hopefully they managed to improve the game's performance.

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Yeah, it looked pretty impressive in the video. Im actually surprised that they managed to make it look so good considering their budget.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Oh God they included the football stadium again AND put the pedestrian electro bastard ray in the video right when the car drives in.

That used to be my favorite moment in the original game, frying all those football jocks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If the music is the biggest problem with this game, I don't mind. Music can be turned off, or even switched out.

As for the rest, BRING IT ON! This is shaping up to be one hell of a fragfest.

Am I the only one who just loves this car?

CU-NT.jpg

Like a tiny yapping dog, I just can't wait to stomp a couple of these.

EDIT: Check the door closely, describes these cars rather well...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom