Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Carmageddon: Reincarnation

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
TDR2000 is so underrated. I enjoyed it as much as Carma 2, and it had numerous apsects done better.

Its still installed on my computer, and I play it every once in a while.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
TDR2000 is where it's at. Im currently playing it, great fun.

possibly_retarded.png
possibly?

At the risk of sounding like that asshole Metro, this guy has probably the worst taste in entire Codex, not even J_C can compete.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked TDR2000 more than Carma 1/2 because it was harder and more fast paced. You had to actually participate in races instead of driving like a tard all the time, killing an enemy or two once in a while. I hated the TDR2000's non-racing missions just as in Carma 2, and there was way more of them in TDR2000.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I liked TDR2000 more than Carma 1/2 because it was harder and more fast paced. You had to actually participate in races instead of driving like a tard all the time, killing an enemy or two once in a while. I hated the TDR2000's non-racing missions just as in Carma 2, and there was way more of them in TDR2000.
Exactly. Carma 2 was way too easy. You couldn't actually race because of the way the cars handled. They were fun to drive around, but race around the track.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
These guys are clowns, probably angry that TDR was great.
these guys being stainless, the company that made carmageddon, and was in fact founded by the two peeps mostly responsible for it, one of whom is its current ceo....

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
these guys being stainless, the company that made carmageddon, and was in fact founded by the two peeps mostly responsible for it, one of whom is its current ceo....
So? They are just being jerks about it. Even on their main site. Fact is TDR is better than Carma 2 in several ways, and these clowns don't want to admit it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
dood, it's friggin easy to improve upon an original idea somebody else came up with.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Am I the only one who thinks that Carma 2 was the best Carma up to date? With all respect to first part, but still.

Will donate to Reincarnation. If they fail, I'll find them and run over.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So? They are just being jerks about it. Even on their main site. Fact is TDR is better than Carma 2 in several ways, and these clowns don't want to admit it.
possibly_retarded.png

Luka-boy

Arcane
Honestly I liked the first Carmageddon the most. I never enjoyed the other two games nearly as much as the original.

catfood

AGAIN
Public opinion is overrated. Carma 2 had the most hilarious physics I ever seen in car-driving games. It was so bad, that it was actually the best.

Carma 2 actually has a fairly impressive physics system for its time. For instance the car pieces that fly away after an impact are actual objects that interact with the game world. They can kill pedestrians or even pick up powerups. Pedestrians interact the same way. A moose that is thrown with the help of the spring powerup can, upon impact, kill another pedestrian. They crazy physics is the reason I prefer C2 to the first game. Theres so much whacky stuff that you can do around the levels in that game.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Carma 2 actually has a fairly impressive physics system for its time. For instance the car pieces that fly away after an impact are actual objects that interact with the game world. They can kill pedestrians or even pick up powerups. Pedestrians interact the same way. A moose that is thrown with the help of the spring powerup can, upon impact, kill another pedestrian. They crazy physics is the reason I prefer C2 to the first game. Theres so much whacky stuff that you can do around the levels in that game.

That's what I'm saying. It's crazy AND impressive at the same time. The damage model alone was fucking awesome.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Care to give some examples?
  • While the original two were fun, it was impossible to actually race there. The cars were too heavy, too hard to steer, with too much momentum. The tweaked physics in TDR are for the better if you wanted some racing, not just fooling around.
  • Carma 1 and 2 were way too easy. It was very easy to amass lots of time by going over peds and hitting opppents. And then what? There was no point to race, you just went around wasting opponents. Yawn.
  • The reduced bonus times mean that you should actually race in TDR, there is a risk of messing up and having to restart, you have to pay attention to getting the good power ups and avoiding the bad, had to pay attention to your driving, the opponents, the traffic and had to hunt and get the time powerups. And if you wanted to just roam around killing things (like every single 'race' in the orignals ended up), there was free ride. Simple.
  • It's a challening game and you need to pay attention to the layout. ex, putting a turn after a big jump. Or putting harmful power ups in tight spaces. Peds attacking you, thtrowing stuff at you, avoiding you much better, makes the game unpredictable and challenging.
  • The opponents do come after you, but not as much as before, which again is an improvement. All i had to do before was loiter around somewhere and all the opponents will come to me. Easy to to gain time and easy to waste them.
  • It feels more like a racing game, has great levels, great powerups and a ton of cars and its fun and re-playable. Carmageddon 1 and 2 are fun to mess around in, with the ridiculous physics and laid back gameplay, but they feel like toys not games.
  • TDR2000 tweaked the car physics (so now the cars can be controlled and raced), reduced the insane amount of time you got from killing, made the races challenging, added fun missions with a sense of progression, and finally made a game out of the series.
  • I have Carmageddon 1 currently installed, but i haven't touched it since i started replaying TDR. Because there is no point in racing (not to mention barely feasible because of the sluggish cars and floaty physics), the game feels very repetitive. There is no challenge whatsoever. Just ram your opponents a few times you've got five minutes of time already. Kill a few peds, and you've got ten. Game over.
  • It's fun ramming cars and what not, and so is Carmageddon 2 (car deformation is done best in Carma2), but as games they are not as good as TDR.

bonescraper

race racing race race racing game races racing

Carmageddon never was a racing game. It has cars, i get it, you were fooled. But it's not a racing game. Laps and circuits were just a smokescreen for the easily offended.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Care to give some examples?
  • While the original two were fun, it was impossible to actually race there. The cars were too heavy, too hard to steer, with too much momentum. The tweaked physics in TDR are for the better if you wanted some racing, not just fooling around.
  • Carma 1 and 2 were way too easy. It was very easy to amass lots of time by going over peds and hitting opppents. And then what? There was no point to race, you just went around wasting opponents. Yawn.
  • The reduced bonus times mean that you should actually race in TDR, there is a risk of messing up and having to restart, you have to pay attention to getting the good power ups and avoiding the bad, had to pay attention to your driving, the opponents, the traffic and had to hunt and get the time powerups. And if you wanted to just roam around killing things (like every single 'race' in the orignals ended up), there was free ride. Simple.
  • It's a challening game and you need to pay attention to the layout. ex, putting a turn after a big jump. Or putting harmful power ups in tight spaces. Peds attacking you, thtrowing stuff at you, avoiding you much better, makes the game unpredictable and challenging.
  • The opponents do come after you, but not as much as before, which again is an improvement. All i had to do before was loiter around somewhere and all the opponents will come to me. Easy to to gain time and easy to waste them.
  • It feels more like a racing game, has great levels, great powerups and a ton of cars and its fun and re-playable. Carmageddon 1 and 2 are fun to mess around in, with the ridiculous physics and laid back gameplay, but they feel like toys not games.
  • TDR2000 tweaked the car physics (so now the cars can be controlled and raced), reduced the insane amount of time you got from killing, made the races challenging, added fun missions with a sense of progression, and finally made a game out of the series.
  • I have Carmageddon 1 currently installed, but i haven't touched it since i started replaying TDR. Because there is no point in racing (not to mention barely feasible because of the sluggish cars and floaty physics), the game feels very repetitive. There is no challenge whatsoever. Just ram your opponents a few times you've got five minutes of time already. Kill a few peds, and you've got ten. Game over.
  • It's fun ramming cars and what not, and so is Carmageddon 2 (car deformation is done best in Carma2), but as games they are not as good as TDR.
:)

Ok I'll bite because I'm bored.

What utter nonsense, you just have to get used to the somewhat peculiar driving model ("L2P" as the kids say), C1 and C2's physics and engine in general were mind-blowing at the time. These games were very demanding for a reason. TDR's driving model was a lot more streamlined and cars "stick" to the asphalt.

This will likely come as a shock to you but Carma games aren't meant to be played as racing games, that's why crossing checkpoints doesn't reward players with extra time but doing menial stuff like crushing peds and cars does. Actual racing games also tend to show players their current position.

What kind of dangerously chemically balanced individual prefers constantly fighting some boring, absurdly limited timer (max 4 minutes IIRC) and sedate opponents over crushing peds and aggressive hi-octane vehicular combat.

TDR does have some nice maps and a few nice cars but it's not even in the same league as the original Carma games. The aggressive peds were indeed nice but it's not like they often posed any real threat.

End of tier missions are insufferable and they're equally insufferable in Carma 2, thank Stainless for the smartbastard cheat. I can't recall if TDR has a cheat to avoid these terrible missions.

I agree that Carma 1 and 2 are a bit too easy but I hardly think TDR's retarded always on the clock gameplay was the best solution. Here's hoping Carma 3 will have better AI.

Could you even unlock cars and maps in TDR's freemode, I can't remember.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom