Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Carmack accused of stealing Zenimax's tech for Oculus VR

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lulz

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/01/zenimax-claims-oculus-stole/

John Carmack's former employer claims he stole tech for Oculus VR when he left

The man who co-created Doom, who co-founded id Software, and who later left id Software for Oculus VR, is being accused by his former employer of taking intellectual property with him to Oculus VR. Lawyers for id Tech's parent company, Zenimax Media, sent claims to Oculus VR stating, "It was only through the concerted efforts of Mr. Carmack, using technology developed over many years at, and owned by, ZeniMax, that [Oculus founder] Mr. Luckey was able to transform his garage-based pipe dream into a working reality." The Wall Street Journal obtained copies of the correspondence.

Oculus denies Zenimax's claim. The company provided the following statement:

"It's unfortunate, but when there's this type of transaction, people come out of the woodwork with ridiculous and absurd claims. We intend to vigorously defend Oculus and its investors to the fullest extent."

Zenimax confirmed to Engadget that it sent claims to Oculus' legal folks and offered us this (lengthy) statement:

"ZeniMax confirms it recently sent formal notice of its legal rights to Oculus concerning its ownership of key technology used by Oculus to develop and market the Oculus Rift. ZeniMax's technology may not be licensed, transferred or sold without ZeniMax Media's approval. ZeniMax's intellectual property rights arise by reason of extensive VR research and development works done over a number of years by John Carmack while a ZeniMax employee, and others. ZeniMax provided necessary VR technology and other valuable assistance to Palmer Luckey and other Oculus employees in 2012 and 2013 to make the Oculus Rift a viable VR product, superior to other VR market offerings.

The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax. Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax's legal ownership of this intellectual property. It was further agreed that Mr. Luckey would not disclose this technology to third persons without approval. Oculus has used and exploited ZeniMax's technology and intellectual property without authorization, compensation or credit to ZeniMax. ZeniMax and Oculus previously attempted to reach an agreement whereby ZeniMax would be compensated for its intellectual property through equity ownership in Oculus but were unable to reach a satisfactory resolution. ZeniMax believes it is necessary to address these matters now and will take the necessary action to protect its interests."

To be completely clear, Zenimax is claiming that John Carmack took software with him to Oculus VR that he developed while still an employee at id Tech (owned by Zenimax). As such, Zenimax's laywers are telling Oculus' lawyers to either work out a licensing deal or prepare for a legal battle.

Further, Zenimax claims that Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey "acknowledged in writing" that certain, unspecified property belonged to Zenimax. The quote also says that Zenimax attempted to work out compensation with Oculus and "was unable to reach a satisfactory conclusion."

It's unclear if the case will proceed to a formal legal process, but neither side sounds very friendly at the moment.​

You can check out from Bethesda, but you can never leave :P

Cazzeris

Brian Fargo accused of stealing Fallout's setting for Wasteland 2.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Let them consume one another.

Corporations devouring each other: the true free to play games (that you watch).

kingofpopcorn1.gif

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You could say Oculus VR was luckey to have Carmack work for them.
:yeah:

Last edited:

Morkar Left

It's basically like working on a job and earning experience while doing it. Then leave the company and get sued for using your experience on a new job :troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Notice that Zenimax only went on the offensive after the Facebook deal. I suppose they figured that when that happened, any chance of reaching an equity agreement with Oculus was lost. Should have made a deal while you could, Altman!

On the other hand, it's fucking Facebook. There's gold in them hills. They could pay Zenimax a ton of cash just to get them to shut up, without breaking a sweat.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Notice that Zenimax only went on the offensive after the Facebook deal. I suppose they figured that when that happened, any chance of reaching an equity agreement with Oculus was lost. Should have made a deal while you could, Altman!

On the other hand, it's fucking Facebook. There's gold in them hills. They could pay Zenimax a ton of cash just to get them to shut up, without breaking a sweat.

Zenimax could easily be a nuisance to Facebook and like you said, Facebook could easily pay them off.

Kinda boring really.

J1M

Arcane
The only way this could get interesting is if we find out Carmack stole the Wolfenstein tech.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They are trying to claim ownership of Carmack's experience and knowledge.

Not a lawyer but I don't think they can do that. They can claim ownership of specific techniques or designs but not general know-how.

Companies can require non-compete agreements that employees can't work in an industry for a certain amount of time after leaving a company, but I don't think those can be indefinite either.

I have no clue what sort of employment contract Carmack had but this sounds like a company simply wanting a payday. Which is how business works, make a big fuss until the other company settles so they don't have to deal with the hassle.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Obviously, they can pay them a lot for silence but it's not work that way, it's like agreement for their accusations, no matter how ridicilous. And they propably won't do it.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are settlements all the time that state as a condition of settlement that "Party XYZ admits no fault / no wrong doing blah blah etc."

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay... Let's see if I understand this... Zionmax, that company that is using Gamebryo engine for their main titles for almost fucking 20 years, claiming that Oculus Rift stole technology from them? Man, I can't stop laughing.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I don't think he ever worked for zenimax and oculus at the same time.

Not sure though. I think it's more about which technologies he developed while at zenimax and those he developed while at oculus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay... Let's see if I understand this... Zionmax, that company that is using Gamebryo engine for their main titles for almost fucking 20 years, claiming that Oculus Rift stole technology from them? Man, I can't stop laughing.

That's not the argument here. Oculus has apparently admitted to using Zenimax IP.

Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax's legal ownership of this intellectual property.

I don't think he ever worked for zenimax and oculus at the same time.

He did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom