Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card Quest - Roguelike with Card-based Combat!

CardQuest

Barely Literate
cropped-banner22.png

Hi all!
I've recently released Card Quest and I'm trying to spread the word!
I hope you give it a try if you like what you see!

Card Quest:
Card Quest is a dungeon crawling adventure game with unique card combat. Play with a variety of unique character classes, and customize decks to fit your playstyle. Explore the strategic depth of tactical roguelike gameplay, and crush the undead plague.

Features:

Diverse Classes:
Play as a Rogue, Fighter, or Wizard. The choice is yours. Each has its own unique gameplay style and 3 custom specializations to add even more variety! Turn your rogue into a Swashbuckler or an Assassin, your fighter into a Berserker or a Paladin and your wizard into a Pyromancer or Necromancer!

Powerful Equipment:
Unlock new items by defeating mighty bosses. There are dozens of different pieces of equipment and items for each class to further customize your heroes; granting them new cards and abilities.

Streamlined Progression:

Level up your heroes to increase their stamina and health and gain useful passives and unlock new specializations.

Fantastical Dungeons:

Dungeons to explore. Traverse a city cursed with an undead plague and a dwarven mountain full of dangers and treasure, each with over 12 different areas to explore and lots of items to unlock!

Challenging Enemies:

Fight over 25 different bosses and more than 90 enemies! Many of them with unique skills that require creative strategies to defeat.

Screenshots:

cultistsandtombs.png

citylateareaselection.png

unlockbookofscorching.jpg

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
This is a pretty good game for those who like tactics of a turn-based battle with the randomness of card games like Magic: The Gathering. So far, it's been worth the money. Sometimes the random nature is unfair and puts you in an unwinnable position, but that's the way of these kind of games.

I suppose the one thing people will complain about the most is the graphics. Perhaps you should spend some of the money you're making off this game and update the graphics. Not as important to me as it will be to others, but it could go a long way toward getting more sales.

CardQuest

Barely Literate
Glad you're liking the game ProphetSword!
You'd be surprised how much you can counter bad luck once you've learnt enough about the cards and strategies of the game. ;)
And yes, the art is very very far from being perfect, specially the cards, and it would probably get us more sales if it was better. I tried to do my best with a limited time and energy budget but as you can see I'm in no way a professional artist! Haha!

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The most important thing in any game is how well it plays. That part got nailed. Folks who turn up their noses at the graphics are missing out, but it wouldn't hurt if they could be improved. Looking forward to seeing how the game develops.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
“I did rather enjoy [Card Quest]...[the] art style [...] felt right.”
Rock, Paper, Shotgun

That's one dodgy as hell quote you got on the Steam page.

Anyhoo, otherwise looks like it could be fun. Might buy if I have a weak moment, but probably waiting for the full release.

CardQuest

Barely Literate
ProphetSword Glad you see it that way. I'm of the same opinion. :)

4249 Yeah... that quote... ^-^u
Hopefully we'll be able to replace it with something better if we get more press coverage.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm glad to see that the game recently implemented cloud saves. I've been playing separate games on my laptop and on my touchscreen Windows tablet (and this game is fantastic for touchscreens, BTW), so it was nice to bring them together so that my progress is the same on both.

CardQuest

Barely Literate
Hadn't seen you last message.
We're adding new things every week and some people had asked for cloud saves so we had to do it. ;)

And yes the game works quite well with touchscreens. We actually even have an android version planned, but we probably won't have it ready until the full release.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
What about an iOS version? Since I bought the game, I have shifted from a Windows tablet to an iPad. Would definitely buy an iOS version if it was released.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just saw this game and decided to pick it up a few days ago. I've been playing it quite a bit. The game reminds me of a deck-builder board game the way the cards combo off of each other and enable you to just annihilate enemies by the boatload when you get lucky. It's really satisfying.

The game does seem very luck-based until you get a few items equipped. I particularly had trouble getting things going with the rogue's starting gear. The wizard, on the other hand, was easy mode.

I would really like some hotkeys, though. Something like pressing 1-5 to select a card then pressing 1-whatever to select the target to get a preview, then the same number to verify its use would be nice. I think controller support would be even better, but I realize that'd probably take more time than it's worth, and it won't be a particularly popular opinion around here for sure.

I also didn't realize that there were sub-classes to unlock until I saw it mentioned on the Steam forums. Is it mentioned in-game somewhere? Maybe this could be made a little more obvious somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom