Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can I revert Master of Orion II 1.4 (fan patch) to 1.3.x?

Zeus

Cipher
Blarg! Impulse and GOG's copies of Master of Orion II *both* came with some stupid 1.4 fan patch pre-installed. I thought the point of classic gaming was getting the original experience, not dealing with some unofficial mod that hasn't been updated in six years.

Anyone know if there's a way to revert the 1.4 fan version to 1.3? Like, install the official update over the 1.4 version?

I mean I suppose I can just get it off Abandonia or something, but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place. :P

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's the purpose of buying?

You bought you bought.
Don't fail for the software as physical object doublethink shit they want to make the zeitgeist. It's pure bullshit.

DakaSha

Arcane
get the 1.4 and 1.3 patches and see what files they overwrite :P

Zeus

Cipher
Here's what I just posted over on GOG's forum. (Someone immediately took offense to me even suggesting that GOG might not have done "QA" on the unofficial patch forced upon us. :roll: )

Luckily, the unofficial patch only affects the Orion2.exe, and can be installed in tandem with the 1.3 exe. Naturally, the 1.3 exe isn't supplied, but that can be remedied by downloading the latest official patch and following the instructions below.

Edit: To clarify, I think only the Win95 version gets patched to 1.3.1; the DOS version only went up to 1.3

Edit 2: I changed it so I only extract the Orion2.exe from the patch zip.

Okay, I just tried something and it seemed to work.

The unofficial patch's readme says it keeps the original executable intact:

"To play the updated v1.40 version of the game, run M2V140.exe from DOS or DOSbox. To play the v1.31 version of the game, run Orion2.exe."

...unfortunately, the Orion2 supplied by GOG seems to be a renamed m2v140.exe, or at least, it was patched as well.

So here's what I did to revert Master of Orion 2 to the last official version, and, as an added bonus, also generated the latest unofficially patched version as well:

1) Install the GOG version of MOO2

2) Download moo2v131.zip, the last official update patch. I got mine from here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/159032/150000/fileinfo/Master-of-Orion-2---Update-Patch-to-v1.31

3) Rename Orion2.exe to orion2.exe.bck (to keep a backup of your default GOG executable)

4) Extract the Orion2.exe from moo2v131.zip to the Master of Orion 2 directory. (e.g., C:\Games\GOG.com\Master of Orion 1 and 2\Master of Orion 2).

Now you have MOM2 v1.31!

For the latest unoffical patch, which can be installed in tandem with the official version:

5) Download the Moo2 v1.40b24 patch from here: http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/download.html

Extract the patch to the Master of Orion 2 directory, then follow the patch's installation instructions:

How to Update to Version 1.40

1) Download the updater file named "MOO2V140.EXE" Please be
sure to note which directory you download the file to.

2) Copy MOO2V140.EXE to the Master of Orion II directory on
your hard drive. This directory is usually \MPS\ORION2.

3) To update your copy of Master of Orion II to version
1.40, simply run the MOO2v140.EXE. It will create a
separate M2V140.exe

4) To play the updated v1.40 version of the game, run
M2V140.exe from DOS or DOSbox. To play the
v1.31 version of the game, run Orion2.exe.

,,,,So now if you want the original 1.31 version, run Orion2.exe. For the lastest unoffical patch, run M2V140.exe. And for the Win95 version, which was always v1.3.1, run ORION95.EXE.

Hope this helps! :)

Zeus

Cipher
SCO said:
What's the purpose of buying?

You bought you bought.
Don't fail for the software as physical object doublethink shit they want to make the zeitgeist. It's pure bullshit.

The purpose, for me, was to the the most official version I could. Not some cracked .exe of questionable origin. I wanted just what I'd get if I installed off the floppies and installed the last official patch. Too bad that's not what GOG is offering, unlike Shadow Magic and Master of Magic, whose fan patches are kept separate in the forums.

Destroid

Arcane
You'd think selling it in that form (fan patch pre-installed, no sensible procedure to get to an official version) would have some questionable legality to it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So GOG sells free fan-patches now apart from scene cracks?

Serves you well for paying them money.

If you wanted an original, proper expirience you would've went to TPB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom