Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Can a western RPG ever match the narrative majesty of FF7?

Can a western RPG ever match the narrative majesty of FF7?

• Imposiburu

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • KickStarter is our only hope!

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • r00fles

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • KC

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Aerith

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think JRPG players are the embodiement of "nostalgia goggles". JRPGs just fucking suck, and the only reason I hold FFIX in high regard is because of its Disney-like story and characters.

Cael

Arcane
I think JRPG players are the embodiement of "nostalgia goggles". JRPGs just fucking suck, and the only reason I hold FFIX in high regard is because of its Disney-like story and characters.
FF9 is itself a nostalgic look back at all the previous FF...

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Can a western broad ever match Tifa's boobs?

8401b05a96b5d3f7002f335ec6a1b8c8.jpg

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fellow manly men, this top quality thread reminded me of the time when I drunkenly binge-watched the Highlander films and realised that Final Fantasy VII actually took a yuge bunch of its Midgar-related content straight from the marvellous abortion known as Highlander II: The Quickening. You may doubt this, but keep reading you will see that I am totally correct.

To begin with, consider the aesthetics of the dystopian city with its dark streets and old cars, that's Midgar right there! Then there is the the snazzy escape-by-jumping-on-a-moving-train sequence, not to mention the case of the two evil henchmen (one of whom is even named Reno!). Consider also the reluctant sword-wielding hero (Cloud, duh!) who gradually gets convinced to fight the good fight by the female lead (Tifa and Avalanche much?). Then there is the whole sneaky-ass eco-terroris infiltration of the Planet-destroying Shield Corporation compound (ShinRa much? Mako Reactor much?) and finally, don't forget the bad-ass superhuman villain Katana (Sephiroth) who kills off the evil corp CEO (Shinra) and ends up the true boss that must be defeated. There are many differences too, of course, but the shameless rip-offu is simply too blatant and consistent for it to be a coincidence.

Think about it bros. You *know* I'm right.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think JRPG players are the embodiement of "nostalgia goggles".

I think JRPGs are just very static design-wise which makes looking back on your favorite one, and comparing it to recent releases only to see it's the same shit except shinier and more "streamlined", a disheartening realization on how unchanged the genre has remained. There are exceptions of course, but you can go back good 30 years or so and feel right at home without much adjustment minus the production values.

Cael

Arcane
Fellow manly men, this top quality thread reminded me of the time when I drunkenly binge-watched the Highlander films and realised that Final Fantasy VII actually took a yuge bunch of its Midgar-related content straight from the marvellous abortion known as Highlander II: The Quickening. You may doubt this, but keep reading you will see that I am totally correct.

To begin with, consider the aesthetics of the dystopian city with its dark streets and old cars, that's Midgar right there! Then there is the the snazzy escape-by-jumping-on-a-moving-train sequence, not to mention the case of the two evil henchmen (one of whom is even named Reno!). Consider also the reluctant sword-wielding hero (Cloud, duh!) who gradually gets convinced to fight the good fight by the female lead (Tifa and Avalanche much?). Then there is the whole sneaky-ass eco-terroris infiltration of the Planet-destroying Shield Corporation compound (ShinRa much? Mako Reactor much?) and finally, don't forget the bad-ass superhuman villain Katana (Sephiroth) who kills off the evil corp CEO (Shinra) and ends up the true boss that must be defeated.

There are many differences too, of course, but the shameless rip-offu is simply too blatant and consistent for it to be a coincidence. Think about it bros. You *know* I'm right.
Might be true, if Highlander II actually existed in this reality.

Cael

Arcane
ff7 has cloud's sword in it avoid like the plague
This is countered by Cloud getting butt diddled by huge musclemen in panties in his eternal quest to be the most desired of drag queens, all for the cool lewt.

Hyperion

Arcane
Sigourn suckled the Dark Souls teat for a year, praising its gameplay, art direction, and narrative choice before even playing it. When he finally did get to playing it, he rage quit before killing the Gargoyles, cursed the game's existence and swore not to pick it up again. I'm too lazy to find the post in the Dark Souls thread, but I'm fairly certain there's very little embellishment in my anecdote.

Tl;dr - Sigourn likes edgy graphics, but sucks at games

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh FF7 isn't even good narrative wise. The whole Sepiroth arc is a mistake. The game initially has an interesting premise (mega-crop sucking planet's life for fun and profit). Then the initial mystery of "Oh shit the president is killed, who done that" is also decent, but the way it handle the overall plot after that is kinda meh. I personally would liked better if the overall focus of the plot is emphasized on fighting Shinra more while uncovering more sinister happening along the way before we actually find Sepiroth and the whole Jenova plot.

Not to say that FF7 did not have some interesting element. The whole Cloud and Zack memory is a decent twist. Some characters like Barret also has interesting arc in the story. Aerith death might have bigger impact if her character is developed more (every party member AFAIK has a mini-arc within the story, Barret in the gold saucer, Tifa & Cloud in their home village, Nanaki in his home village as well, Cid and her assistant when we try to launch the rocket,etc). Aerith never had the chance to develop (her mini-arc about Zack is told after her death).

spekkio

Arcane
To quote some fags from the "movies" thread, who cannot into trolls:

:0/5: / :5/5:

'Cuz with dis thread, I really dunno. :?

Latro

Arcane
as InD_ImaginE said, FF7 is pretty cool until you leave the giant grunge metal thingy

in an alternate universe, FF7 was about the ethics of terrorism in trying to fight oligarchs, not desu ne JRPG shit. if i remember correctly, you bomb a reactor destroying an entire city sector. that's cool as fuck. I want to destroy more city sectors.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom