Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - going full sci-fi

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And yet, it will still sell MILLIONS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg:

On the second part of your question related to Infinite Warfare, first of all you got to love the passion of gamers. This is an industry like no other, and a fan base like no other and we love that our fans treat this franchise like it’s their own and have such strong points of view about it. There just aren’t many entertainment franchises on Earth that can generate the kind of passion that Call of Duty can and that’s a good thing.

Secondly, of course we know that there are people in our community who are nostalgic for the boots-on-the-ground-style gameplay, and that’s why we made Modern Warfare Remastered. But we also have millions of people in our community who want to have new innovative experiences in the game each year and Infinite Warfare is going to deliver that. And the good news is this year we found a way to deliver both in one package while keeping our community together.

And while of course we see the passionate opinions online, we also look at other measurements. And the fact is, while it’s very early, pre-orders are off to a very strong start. Views of the reveal trailer that you referred to are up and in fact the number of likes per view on the Infinite Warfare reveal trailer are also the highest we’ve ever seen.

We’ve seen this in the franchise before. The reveal trailer for Black Ops II, which took the franchise into the future for the first time, had the most dislikes of any reveal trailer we had ever made at that time. And that, of course, went on to become our most successful game ever.

And right now, the franchise has never been stronger. We have more people playing Black Ops III, a game that takes place in the future with boost jumps and fictitious weapons and all the rest, than any game in our history. So what we know for sure is that if we always just did what worked in the past and never took any creative risks, we wouldn’t have a franchise. The day to worry is the day we stop trying new things.

i-vrd2GN9-2100x20000.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
Watch there be sound in space.
who gives a shit, what's so great about silence. Turn the volume down if it's that important .I like my pew pew

Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg:

On the second part of your question related to Infinite Warfare, first of all you got to love the passion of gamers. This is an industry like no other, and a fan base like no other and we love that our fans treat this franchise like it’s their own and have such strong points of view about it. There just aren’t many entertainment franchises on Earth that can generate the kind of passion that Call of Duty can and that’s a good thing.

Secondly, of course we know that there are people in our community who are nostalgic for the boots-on-the-ground-style gameplay, and that’s why we made Modern Warfare Remastered. But we also have millions of people in our community who want to have new innovative experiences in the game each year and Infinite Warfare is going to deliver that. And the good news is this year we found a way to deliver both in one package while keeping our community together.

And while of course we see the passionate opinions online, we also look at other measurements. And the fact is, while it’s very early, pre-orders are off to a very strong start. Views of the reveal trailer that you referred to are up and in fact the number of likes per view on the Infinite Warfare reveal trailer are also the highest we’ve ever seen.

We’ve seen this in the franchise before. The reveal trailer for Black Ops II, which took the franchise into the future for the first time, had the most dislikes of any reveal trailer we had ever made at that time. And that, of course, went on to become our most successful game ever.

And right now, the franchise has never been stronger. We have more people playing Black Ops III, a game that takes place in the future with boost jumps and fictitious weapons and all the rest, than any game in our history. So what we know for sure is that if we always just did what worked in the past and never took any creative risks, we wouldn’t have a franchise. The day to worry is the day we stop trying new things.

i-vrd2GN9-2100x20000.jpg

Comic writer doesn't know what Passion meant in the original sense.

Hint, hint: it means suffering.

No if only that's the kind of passion CoD fans are going through right now.

Last edited:

BobtheTree

Savant
This actually looks like it might be decent. Space combat in zero-G looks neat. Reminds me of Shattered Horizon, which was a blast.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
LOL (not literally of course, like not even an audible noise. Maybe a small snortle of breath from a deviated septum-closed nostril, at best) at the trailer already having 55K+ dislikes.

I really, really liked the first Modern Warfare as a story experience, it was just on the right side of fucking retarded that it made it fun to be a sneaky dude and nuke-you-lar bomb stopper. The "shock" elements worked, the characters were like between Under Siege Tier and The Rock Tier, and it was a good time. That makes me a little interested in this remastered version even though remastered versions are for slime-laden human jizzsocks.

Then, of course, like Nickelback or Creed, a modicum of success from a regular-pablum-eating audience begat more and more stupid.

I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts (For XBox360, even, because I can't find my dink through my pubes) because the writer/director of Syriana wrote it, and man alive it was some kinda buttshit.

That being said, I can't wait for Call of Duty: Space Marines or whatever, whenever they get to it. Like Call of Duty: Starship Troopers.

rezaf

Cipher
Did noone else give this a try?
I sampled it for a bit, and ... it's not a game for me, I guess.
I liked (and bought at full price) CoD:AW, but this one...

The graphics are even better than in AW - it's downright spectacular imo - and the game has still very good performance even on my aging rig. It also doesn't cause my GPU fan to try to lift the desktop off the ground.
And I guess moment to moment gameplay is okish, occasionally good, even.
Meeting Jon Snow and Susan Ivanova is kinda cool.

However...

The story leaves me entirely cold and makes little sense in some ways.
The guns feel weaksauce. Even shotguns feel like assault rifles with smaller range and clip size.
The flight model is odd - games like SW:Battlefront did this much better many years ago. It feels random and kinda weird.
Controls are a bit too fiddly for a fast paced FPS, imo. At least when playing with M&KB, I'm often asked to press one key too much, or so it feels.
Both ground and space combat lack clear feedback (from where am I being shot?).
Many enemies are aimbots.
The game often lacks clear objectives - if enemies spawn endlessly unless I do x, you'd better tell me what x is, either in briefing or by prompt or just by team members commenting.

And - this caused me to uninstall - there's some points where enemies spawn endlessly - this isn't what I had in mind when I read Infinite Warfare.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They had an ad for this when I was watching The Walking Dead on TV last night. This game looks terrible... :M

LOL (not literally of course, like not even an audible noise. Maybe a small snortle of breath from a deviated septum-closed nostril, at best) at the trailer already having 55K+ dislikes.

I really, really liked the first Modern Warfare as a story experience, it was just on the right side of fucking retarded that it made it fun to be a sneaky dude and nuke-you-lar bomb stopper. The "shock" elements worked, the characters were like between Under Siege Tier and The Rock Tier, and it was a good time. That makes me a little interested in this remastered version even though remastered versions are for slime-laden human jizzsocks.

Then, of course, like Nickelback or Creed, a modicum of success from a regular-pablum-eating audience begat more and more stupid.

I bought Call of Duty: Ghosts (For XBox360, even, because I can't find my dink through my pubes) because the writer/director of Syriana wrote it, and man alive it was some kinda buttshit.

That being said, I can't wait for Call of Duty: Space Marines or whatever, whenever they get to it. Like Call of Duty: Starship Troopers.

Plus, Modern Warfare came right after a whole fuckton of US flag-waiving shooters, with increasingly 'yeehaw go USA!' schtick, and most people outside the US were on the verge of smashing the game CD into their monitor out of frustration at encountering yet another of those games. I think players today, especially US players, seriously underestimate just how much of the appeal came from the fresh air of the US characters getting annihilated half-way through the game, with the 2nd half being the UK SAS squad (who have a reputation for badassery akin to the green berets and other US special forces, but were at that time almost entirely unexplored not only in gaming, but in entertainment in general, i.e. just generally a more interesting setting) having to rescue things.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane

"Its well written"

No its not, its garbage ... pure checklist writing trash, CoD never had much of a decent story but this one takes the cake on CoD typical BS, there nothing one cannot see a mile away and nothing that rises beyond the generic 2 dimensional BS, at least Advanced had a couple of ideas on story beyond "utterly evil" military bad guys that are comical evil.

Also the fact its not even in the top of Steam releases and its being beaten by Football Manager 2017 and Rocket League when neither are on sale says a lot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
All this hatred for CoD is hypocritical because the things that make CoD so bad are the same things that those same retards love in other games. The only ones who are allowed to criticize CoD is people like us, who hate it for the right reasons.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Lol, an hipster l1brul, a fat neckbeard, an Asian nerd and a wimmin. None of those people represent the CoD player base in the slightest. I wonder if the reason CoD is so fucking retarded is because it is made by a bunch of millennial faggots who hate dude bro culture but are forced to make dude bro games for a living. Who else would come up with shit like this?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just checked the description on that video. They hired the guy who made Battleship for this. Lol, WTF? Why?

Direwolf

Arcane
Got a "trial" version of this. TBH the whole idea of solar system in near future is not too bad. Could've been OK, but absolutely everything else is fucking stupid. Gameplay is the closest thing to light gun games gameplay I've ever seen. Fucking early nineties FMV levels of interactivity. The visuals are exotic enough to look nice in some places (Europa), and absolutely terrible in others. Story is fucking retarded. Reads like The Expanse fan fic. As a free game it is passable. Do not pay any money for this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom