Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caligula Effect coming to Steam, current/new JRPG by guy who wrote Persona 1, P2 duology, DDS 1/2.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

Welp, all the need ot know info is in the title text. Only reason I'm making a thread for this is because of Tadashi's involvement. I originally had written this off as a shameless Persona clone until I read about its dev team, which has a lot of the O.G. atlus devs who worked on early Persona titles and the DDS series, including the main writer.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Persona itself has indeed declined heavily, but Persona 1 and 2 are amazing games. My personal favorite is the first Persona with its first-person dungeon crawling and more tacti-cool battle system.

Persona 3 and 4 are quite forgettable but P5 is very good so far.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Persona itself has indeed declined heavily, but Persona 1 and 2 are amazing games. My personal favorite is the first Persona with its first-person dungeon crawling and more tacti-cool battle system.

Persona 3 and 4 are quite forgettable but P5 is very good so far.

I'll have to try persona 1 on psx someday because the psp version sucks with the new sound track. also didn't like how the map was already drawn....
Persona 2 IS is <3 though, really liked that one.
I did enjoy persona 3 & 4, they were milked to death sadly
But I can't STAND Persona 5, omg this game makes me go crazy with the phone text ect and they just keep repeating the same shit over and over. I skipped tons of text....
I dunno in P3 and 4 I felt there was some sort of mystery. in 5 I knew right away who was the bad guy and I didn't like him til you reach the end and he does something and I was like :''ok I didn't like him at first but now he's bad ass...'' but then the game goes none sense.
also is it me or to play P5 you need internet connection? because at first I was playing on hard, then I learned there was some dlc with added difficulties. So I downloarded that and set the game to hardest mode(which is boring...) then few days later my internet was down and I couldn't even load or start a new game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've been playing P5 on the RPCS3 emulator so i can't say about the internet connection requirement, but i can say it definitely works without it.

so far what i'm most enjoying from p5 is the good english dubbing and good voice performances, and i'm enjoying the camera work in cutscenes and the framing during dialog, it is leaps and bounds a much better "directed" game than the 3 and 4 for sure. i only have about 5 hours so far so the game hasn't made me tired of its bullshit yet, so keep that in mind. i may change my opinion of it if it becomes too repetitive.

as for persona 1... i fucking hate the PSP port. i wrote a bunch of long paragraphs comparing the psx version to the psp port and highlighting the negative changes on the port over in the persona 5 thread in this sub-forum.

the original persona 1 psx soundtrack is fucking AMAZING. to this day one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time. it was the composer's first game project i believe.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
i've been playing P5 on the RPCS3 emulator so i can't say about the internet connection requirement, but i can say it definitely works without it.

so far what i'm most enjoying from p5 is the good english dubbing and good voice performances, and i'm enjoying the camera work in cutscenes and the framing during dialog, it is leaps and bounds a much better "directed" game than the 3 and 4 for sure. i only have about 5 hours so far so the game hasn't made me tired of its bullshit yet, so keep that in mind. i may change my opinion of it if it becomes too repetitive.

as for persona 1... i fucking hate the PSP port. i wrote a bunch of long paragraphs comparing the psx version to the psp port and highlighting the negative changes on the port over in the persona 5 thread in this sub-forum.

the original persona 1 psx soundtrack is fucking AMAZING. to this day one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time. it was the composer's first game project i believe.

the connection is probably only if you use the dlc...

Jinn

Arcane
I originally had written this off as a shameless Persona clone until I read about its dev team, which has a lot of the O.G. atlus devs who worked on early Persona titles and the DDS series, including the main writer.

Wow, thanks for pointing this out. I had also written this off, but didn't know there were so many talented people working on it.

deuxhero

Arcane
There's one other thing you need to read: "NIS America". They have a (well-deserved) reputation for adding horrible new bugs, ruining translations, censoring things and just plain old fucking up everything. They just released a port of Ys 8 that doesn't work and came out EIGHT MONTHS after it was supposed to. Odds are it will be so fucked up it won't be worth a pirate.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tl;dr a thread full of people who actually haven't play the game issue definitive opinions on its worth

whoever mans up and actually plays this game to figure out whether it's a piece of shit or not is a true martyr of the Codex

Deflowerer

Arcane
Persona 1 PSP version with the fan patch that restores as much of the original OST as possible is probably the best version to play unless you're fluent in moonrunes. The PS1 localized version is retarded and is missing half of the game, while PSP version without restored music destroys the atmosphere completely.

Persona 1 itself is one of my favorite games of all time, and for me, on par with SMT III: Nocturne.

lightbane

Arcane
DDS, you say? INCLI- *checks trailer* Ugh, looks terrible. I'll wait for more data just to be sure.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah it looks x-tremely anime, and not in the good way. but oh well, we'll see what's what when it comes out. according to very credible youtube video comments the jap version's story is quite good, and most of the comments were about hoping that they don't fuck up the translation.

EDIT: the very credible appellation was meant to be sarcastic... though the actual comments are real.

Reinhardt

Arcane
What about gameplay? I'm tolerant to animu graphics so it's not a problem and if story is retarded i can skip it so it's not a problem too.

Cromwell

Arcane
yeah it looks x-tremely anime, and not in the good way. but oh well, we'll see what's what when it comes out. according to very credible youtube video comments the jap version's story is quite good, and most of the comments were about hoping that they don't fuck up the translation.

EDIT: the very credible appellation was meant to be sarcastic... though the actual comments are real.

meh these fucks always say the story is good, which got me burned hard with P3 (one of the worst games ever).

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The philosophical implications are in plain sight, It seems that essentially Caligula's scope is similar to Persona: the pursue of truth. However, in Persona It is an introspective journey in shape of dungeon crawlers and flamboyant demons to sort out inner conflicts and awake the "true" self. We shall see how Caligula will handle it.

Instead of demon avatars, the kids wield weapons and have their heart pierced for whatever that thing metaphorically represents. Also they look like an idol band. Just Trying too hard to be generic IMO.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, Meguro was the junior composer, although he penned the iconic Velvet Room theme.

The main composer, Hidehito Aoki, who composed majority of the soundtrack, especially the dungeon themes, died in early 2000s.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Game decent. 6, maybe a 7/10 so far. The budget was clearly negative but the combat is really fun , music a good (coming from someone that doesn't like that much JPOP/Idol/Vocaloid stuff) and the story is okay so far. :M Hyped for the sequel.. :M

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't understand why people keep raving about Persona.

The Japanese love nuPersona because it allows them to relive an idealized fantasy version of their school days—the one and only time they have ever felt happy and free.

Weebs love nuPersona either because they are children, because they're adults with the minds of children, or because they're sexually attracted to children.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Japs love vn's and turn based jrpg's. Persona is the only high budget fusion of those genres.
School setting is the same reason most manga's are mostly based on teens and schools,marketing.Most of the audience are teens,and what setting would you think would resonate with them the most?
Adults also resonate with it because most adults went to high school compared to collegesor making a manga of a specific job.
Seinen and 18+vn immediately break that rule.I wonder why?

Also,school suck for Japs.It is worse then work.They are constantly busy and barely have anytime for anything else.That "work is everything" mentality is derived from their school experiences.

Weebs love persona the same reason they love yakuza. Anything that tries to emulate any facet of jap life,gives them a boner.There is a reason Pokemon and dq are hated by weebs. There is nothing Japanese about it in their idealized minds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom