Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

By Any Means Necessary - 2D RPG for Windows

tgramsus

Novice
BAMN is a 2D RPG being developed in C++/SDL for Windows. I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me on the game.

The game follows a group of warriors investigating the appearance of a strange portal and the game starts when they have been sent to an island to follow up on a lead.

Some of the game features:
* 12 dungeons, 3 side quests and 2 towns.

* Turn based battle system. Trigger additional round actions by meeting battle requirements.

* No items can be used in battle or the menu. Characters have to rely on their abilities to win battles.

* Scroll system to enhance character stats and abilities.

Some screenshots:
Ship_Spider_Battle.png

Swamp_Camp.png

You can disable random battles by pressing the 7 key.

The game can be downloaded from Gamejolt. Just unzip and run.

You can follow the game @bamn_game.

Any feedback is appreciated.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Are you doing it just for fun?

Also, are you intentially making it look like an RPG Maker game?

tgramsus

Novice
It started as a 3 dungeon fun project but as the story and dungeons grew and I started to invest in original art, I decided to try to sell the game at some point. I want to see if I can at least break even.

I didn't set to make it look like RPG maker, but I used a lot of their tilesets as place holder, and that probably influenced the new tilesets and characters.

Thanks for the questions and checking the game out.

tgramsus

Novice
Hey guys, I uploaded Version 4.16 of BAMN. The update includes a lot of modifications based on player feedback.
  • More than 10 new battle spell animations.
  • The first 3 dungeons have been re-balanced.
  • Visual adjustments to the Green Forest scenes.
  • Show all the party members on the map in the first scene so the player knows what characters are in his party.
  • ENTER key can now be used as the confirm key in the Menu and Options screens.
  • Various bug fixes.
You can download the game from Gamejolt.

APGunner

Augur
Alright, sorry for stream of thoughts post. Was writing it during play.

When I tried to get from options menu to title screen it said that all my progress will be lost. The problem is... I haven't even started the game at that point. In the first playable area I got two random encounters against one wraith, during one of which of my characters died. Then I opened the menu and dicked around for a while, I can see that quite a lot of time went into this game. Got to a chest, opened it. Had to fight ANOTHER wraith. Moved forward for like two steps. Had to fight ANOTHER wraith. Got to another chest. On my way back there was another random encounter against TWO WRAITHS. Leveled up, but did not understand what does that mean in this game(do I get to spend any points on increasing stats/choose new abilities?). Almost went to the next room, but found another set of wraiths. Got into the next room. Walked two meters. Another random wraith. Fuck this game, man. What's up with the wraiths?

tgramsus

Novice
Hey, thanks a lot for trying out the game.

• I'm still working on finding the right balance for the encounter rate. I'll definitely work on the first dungeon.
  • Leveling up automatically increases your stats and the character might learn a new ability. You can use scrolls to further increase your stats and abilities.
  • For the beta, you can use the 7 key to disable random battles.
Thanks again for the feedback and hope you can give the game another try when I post the next update.

epeli

Arcane
Playing version 4.17, writing down random thoughts as I play. I'm mentally comparing this to indie RPGMaker shovelware games, so anything I don't specifically mention is within expectations I have for those.

- Main menu navigation is slightly annoying with that useless confirmation box popping up every time you do esc->return to title.
- In-game menus are unresponsive if you try to browse them fast.
- One RPGMaker feature I really miss: dash/sprint/whatsitcalled.
- Early green Forest maps had lots of invisible walls and some trees you could walk through. You could walk on the lake near the Green Forest - Lake savepoint. Many tree sprites are partially cut off.
- Alt-tabbing out of fullscreen mode fucks up mouse. Cursor gets locked to the upper left corner of the leftmost screen. (This is double horrible for anyone using synergy or similar software)
- Just a personal preference, but I hate save point systems. Not being able to save & quit at any time sucks in any singleplayer game.
- After realigning party, the leader graphic outside combat mode does not update before exiting to main menu and reloading.

Well, I only played for a couple of hours, but: The engine, despite its small kinks, is definitely better than old RPGMakers. And the combat is good for RPGMaker clone, honestly better than I expected. I liked all the little changes you made to the basic RPGMaker fare. Is the battle requiment / supplemental round system explained anywhere in-game or is it intended to be something you'll get a feel for as you play?

tgramsus

Novice
Hey epeli, thanks a lot for playing the game and all the feedback.

• The ESC->return to titlescreen will be fixed in the next update. Going to work on the menu responsiveness.
  • I have been looking at the alt-tabbing issue. Will give it more priority.
  • The save anywhere system is something I'll definitely look into for the next game.
  • Could you expand a little more on the leader graphic not updating after realigning? Even if you move Yusef to the reserve team, the map sprite will be that of Yusef.

I do want players to find the requirements to get supplemental round actions. One of the easiest ones is if Devon, the purple-haired female fighter, has the Might and Quicken status effect at the same time. After the round ends, she'll execute an additional attack. Some supplemental round actions depend on the character's condition and others depend on the party or enemies' conditions. Some enemies can also have supplemental round actions that the player will have to prevent from executing.

Thanks again for all the feedback and hope you can give the game another try in the future.

epeli

Arcane
Could you expand a little more on the leader graphic not updating after realigning? Even if you move Yusef to the reserve team, the map sprite will be that of Yusef.
Of course.
  1. Create a save where Yusef isn't first party member
  2. Exit game or return to title, then load the save (Loading the save from a running game won't change the map sprite)
  3. The map sprite is now the first party member

tgramsus

Novice
Of course.
  1. Create a save where Yusef isn't first party member
  2. Exit game or return to title, then load the save (Loading the save from a running game won't change the map sprite)
  3. The map sprite is now the first party member

Thanks Epeli, I was able to reproduce it and fix it. Thanks.

tgramsus

Novice
Hey guys,

I uploaded version 4.27 of BAMN.

• New battle animations.
  • Visual adjustments to several maps.
  • Alt + ENTER KB shortcut to toggle between windowed and full screen modes.
  • Log pages to better explain the Supplemental Round system.
  • Several bug fixes.
New screenshots:
Green_Forest.png

Tower_Battle_1.png

You can download the game at Gamejolt. Just unzip and run.

All feedback is appreciated.

tgramsus

Novice
Hello everyone,

I uploaded version 4.35 of BAMN. This update includes:
  • New battle spell animations.
  • Proper game pad support.
  • Easier to run from battles.
  • Balance adjustments.
  • Several bug fixes.
Screenshots:

Roar.png

Beginning.png

You can also download the game from indieDB

tgramsus

Novice
Hello everyone,

I uploaded version 4.54 of BAMN. This update includes:
  • New battle spell animations, including the Meteor and Solar Explosion spells.
  • New items, like the Pegasus Boots, Bleu's Token and Merchant's Pouch.
  • New abilities, like Astral Shield, Power Store and Raging Bull.
Pics of the Meteor spell:
Meteor_01.png

Meteor_02.png

Meteor_03.png

You can try the game by downloading from indieDB.

duanth123

Arcane
Hey guys,

Wanted to share the first trailer of the game.

Thanks.

My feedback is that the name of your game is synonymous with a politicized slogan utilized by a left wing militant group.

http://www.bamn.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAMN

Not your intention, I'm sure, but something to consider when it comes to advertising/saleability, seeing as some might make negative associations.

Grorious Reader

Literate
Hey guys,

Wanted to share the first trailer of the game.

Thanks.

My feedback is that the name of your game is synonymous with a politicized slogan utilized by a left wing militant group.

http://www.bamn.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAMN

Not your intention, I'm sure, but something to consider when it comes to advertising/saleability, seeing as some might make negative associations.

By looking at the title, I automatically assumed there was a connection.

tgramsus

Novice

tgramsus

Novice
Hey guys,

Today I finally released the game on Steam. I really appreciate all the feedback I've gotten since I first posted the game here. Here's the link for anyone interested:
Steam Link

Thanks again everybody.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom