Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Buying PS3

OK, since there's no chance for Persona 5 / Drakengard 3 / Mortal Kombat vs DC to have their PC ports I finally gonna buy this shitty no-gaem blue-ray player console. I guess now it's that point when prices should be lowered to reasonable level so few question:

1. (Mainly for potato bros) - which is fair price for used one now?
2. Is it difficult to crack shit up in order to unlock PS2 emulation and custom soft like DosBox etc.?
3. How is compatibility between PS3 and old TV?
4. Gonna replace my orig. Xbox with it, is PS3 as good media center as XKLOC?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1. Don't know, not being a Potato
2. You can't do PS2 emulation unless you get one of the old "Fat" models. They have a PS2 CPU built-in and run PS2 games. To run custom firmware, you need to have an old model with a certain firmware revision. Newer firmware versions break the l33t h4xx and no one ever bothered to hack it again. If you are going to buy second hand, the older the better. As time went on, they stripped out more stuff to save cost (while also not dropping the price of course).
3. Depends on how old. If it's from 2006 or later you should be fine. As long as it has Composite Video-in or HDMI. I think you can even get an RF adaptor if you want to go super-old-skool.
4. The PS3's media player is pretty good, depending on what your server software is. It's at least 11 billion times better than the shit-poor excuse of a media player in the PS4.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
1. I paid the regional equivalent of 200 here, but it was new. Depends on where you live, but you can get an used one for cheap.
2. Yes, unless you already buy it cracked. You need a hardware thingie to unlock the CFWs.
3. It's OK. That's why it doesn't even come with an HDMI cable.
4. Yes. It's actually one of the best media players out there. I use it in my living room for Netflix and BR reading because PS4 has some shitty restrictions and get too hot.

Siveon

Bot
Not really? Its alive and well and can be jailbroken up to the current ofw.
Really? Like a PSP? How do. I want me some Vesperia.

Oh, and free Yakuza I guess. PS3 things that I don't feel like paying for.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Not really? Its alive and well and can be jailbroken up to the current ofw.
Really? Like a PSP? How do. I want me some Vesperia.

Oh, and free Yakuza I guess. PS3 things that I don't feel like paying for.

Not exactly. It IS a lot more complicated than that (Unless you actually never updated your console since like 2010). (Also jailbroken was the wrong word). But its possible.

How old is your ps3?

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, since there's no chance for Persona 5 / Drakengard 3 / Mortal Kombat vs DC to have their PC ports I finally gonna buy this shitty no-gaem blue-ray player console. I guess now it's that point when prices should be lowered to reasonable level so few question:

1. (Mainly for potato bros) - which is fair price for used one now?
2. Is it difficult to crack shit up in order to unlock PS2 emulation and custom soft like DosBox etc.?
3. How is compatibility between PS3 and old TV?
4. Gonna replace my orig. Xbox with it, is PS3 as good media center as XKLOC?

1. Depends, you can buy used console CFW on italready, around 400-600 potatoes.
2. Depends on CFW, about PS2 emulation - like Zarni wrote.
3. Again, somebody already wrote thing about it.
4. Have no fucking idea.

I suggest console with CFW on it, form somebody with good reputation. Used console will be your best choice, I think.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Definitely not old enough. Doesn't have the PS2 guts or that sensor button thing on the tray.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If Persona 5 is your main reason wait until it's actually published. With all the delays and the general clusterfuck around SEGA you never know what will actually happen and when.

Why even bother with PS3's shitty emulation? PS2 emulation on the PC is immensely better.

I wouldn't bother with jailbreaking either. All exclusive (which are usually the most pricey ones) PS3 games can be easily found around 8-15 euros used.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Persona 5 is your main reason wait until it's actually published. With all the delays and the general clusterfuck around SEGA you never know what will actually happen and when.

Why even bother with PS3's shitty emulation? PS2 emulation on the PC is immensely better.

This. PS2 emulation is actually slowly coming to perfect form on PC. PCSX2 is damn good thing. Just found some joystick and connect it to PC, viola.

I still must finish Persona 3 and 4, thanks for reminder ghost. Actually, while we are still talk about PS2... I need list good games on it.

That's my goal. There's always a posibility of P5 going Mortal Kombat X way when PS3 was delayed ad first and then aborted.

... unless u are poor dude living in third world country with Core 2 Duo on board :negative:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC the emulation of PS2 games in the PS3 wasn't very good to begin with. Also PCSX2 is constantly improving. With my 2,66core2duo I played MGS3 last year with acceptable framerates.

Maybe it would be better to upgrade your PC. By the time P4 is released, PS3 emulation might be viable :P

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
IIRC the emulation of PS2 games in the PS3 wasn't very good to begin with.
It depends on the games. I haven't had issues with a majority of PS2 games I've played on the PS3, and whenever I do have issues, it's generally something small like textures not loading properly. Silent Hill 2 and 3 had the worst of this, with the former having trouble rendering the limbs of the character models, so they'd occasionally flicker in and out of existence, and the latter was never able to render a character's beard properly, making it out instead to be this grey clump on his face.

ghostdog By the way, doge, you have any top list of PS2 games?

Shamelessly going to intercede and give my shitty list of recommended games:

Haunting Ground
Pretty much all the Shin Megami Tensei games, including Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Only ones I can't recommend are Persona 3 (which I thought was pretty bad), and the Raidou Kuzunoha games (which I've never played)
Silent Hill 2 and 3 (they have PC ports, but they're sub-par, and need to be fan-patched to hell in order to be playable, and don't get me started on the HD re-releases on the PS3 and Xbox 360)
Chulip
Katamari Damacy
Rogue Galaxy
God Hand
DMC 1 & 3 (the latter got a PC port that's on steam, though like the Silent Hill examples, it's apparently pretty poor)
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts I & II (The first really nails the premise despite having no real right to, and the second is still good, but is definitely the point where things start to devolve into convoluted animu bs)
Rez
Shadow of the Colossus
Ico
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
Cold Fear (PC port available, but it's shit)
Final Fantasy X (I didn't really like it, but play it if you want an idea of what early PS2 games were like)

Bear in mind that I don't really emulate games much, so I have no idea how any of these run on a PC.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Not exactly. It IS a lot more complicated than that (Unless you actually never updated your console since like 2010). (Also jailbroken was the wrong word). But its possible.

How old is your ps3?
So yeah, it can be done if you have an old console with old firmware. Like I said.

Martius

Liturgist
If Persona 5 is your main reason wait until it's actually published. With all the delays and the general clusterfuck around SEGA Atlus pure hatred for Europe you never know what will actually happen and when.
I doubt we will need to wory about SEGA in this case.

Maybe it would be better to upgrade your PC. By the time P4 is released, PS3 emulation might be viable :P

Yeah, sure gonna spend lotta money on Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.60GHz / 16 Ghz Ram hardware that propably can run P5 with glitches, slowdowns and sound stuttering :|

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog By the way, doge, you have any top list of PS2 games?

I'm gonna mention only PS2 exclusives that I've played, that come to mind:

Shin Megami Tensei III
Digital Devil Saga
Dragon Quest VIII
ICO
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Of The Colossus
Tenchu Wrath Of Heaven
Metal Gear Solid III
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Wild Arms 3
Odin Sphere
Okami

Duraframe300

Arcane

How old is your ps3?
So yeah, it can be done if you have an old console with old firmware. Like I said.

Even older Slim models work. Thats far from 1st Generation and non updated firmware.

And even then you have options depending how far you want to go with modding your console. (ODE) Comparativly the xbox360 isn't much easier to hack.

As Karwelas said though. Buying a pre-modded console is the least (even if more expensive) hassle.

That said ghostdog makes a good point as well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom