Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Butthurt gamer blog

thedeadlymoose

Literate
Yeah, never take anyone seriously who moderates their comments. Especially for "trolls".

Give me at least a little credit. (As much as you're willing to give for a faggot who needs to be smothered with a pillow.)

Whichever one of you posted on my blog either decided it would be awesome to post an identical comment six times total to the same post, or Blogger fucked up, in which case, mea culpa. I think that's a damn good reason to assume troll, especially since at the time I didn't realize I'd been linked here, and assumed the user in question wasn't actually going to come back, just "poop and leave". Usually I'm happy to engage people who disagree with me, including trolls. Just ask Hiver, who for some reason thought I was "stalking" him on Uservoice. :)

I've re-posted all the dude's comments, unedited, just in case.

probably drog/bryce/chefe.

I'm not any of those people, or Roguey, and have never posted on Codex before, only lurked. Basically, Commissar Draco is right. I'm hardly the only one with these opinions, whether you like my opinions or not.

Beyond that, I don't think you made this thread to debate with me, so I'll leave the rest alone. :)

NO WAIT. One of you did ask me an actual question. HELLO TULUSE. YOU HAVE ENCOURAGED ME, I AM NOW ENCOURAGED.

Do you actually think Bioware games give a good representation of gay people? It seems to me it depicts them as individuals with psychological issues which can be easily exploited to get them into bed. To be fair, I think they depict straight people the same way, but I wouldn't call either one progressive.

"Between you, me, and the Internet?" I agree with you to some extent. (I think straight-girl Jack was the worst in ME2. Just... God.) I just think that letting queer people exist, even in ... iffy portrayals ... is better than not letting queer people exist at all, when the setting would otherwise realistically have them.

That's where the whole "I want to support Bioware extra now" thing came from (I didn't clarify because until now that was a purely personal blog). Because their people actually acknowledge the existence of queer people. I'll take what I can fucking get, man, I really will.

All this is doing is tempting me to try to pre-order Dragon Age 3 (or get it shortly after launch) depending on available funds, which til now I'd only done with Skyrim[/QUOTE]

It also makes me want to get Dragon Age 1 & 2 for PS3 despite already having them for PC.

And it's making me a pretty big fan of Gaider & Bioware. I already enjoyed their stuff, even though their games do have flaws that I could go into. But all this undeserved hate JUST for allowing queer people to exist and *gasp* letting you romance them just makes me want to fanboy at them forever.

Slowly, gingerly, Jake slids the LIBRUL knife beneath the defenceless throat of the rpg genre and pulls, watching as the once proud being convulses and loses control of it's bodily functions, shitting all over itself as it breathes it's last.

Why, Jake? Why would you defecate all over our favourite games by supporting the casualisation of the genre

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You're in a Walmart, walking along in the XBAWKS aisle, when all of a sudden you look down and see a CRPG, Jake. It's crawling toward you. You reach down and you flip the CRPG over on its back, Jake.

The CRPG lies on it's back, it belly baking in the popamole lights, it's beating it's legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help... but you're not helping, why is that Jake?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Cause nobody really needs RPGs in their lives. They just need oxygen, food, drink, and money.

Lorica

Educated
"Between you, me, and the Internet?" I agree with you to some extent. (I think straight-girl Jack was the worst in ME2. Just... God.) I just think that letting queer people exist, even in ... iffy portrayals ... is better than not letting queer people exist at all, when the setting would otherwise realistically have them.

That's where the whole "I want to support Bioware extra now" thing came from (I didn't clarify because until now that was a purely personal blog). Because their people actually acknowledge the existence of queer people. I'll take what I can fucking get, man, I really will.

I mean, demand gay games, don't support games without gays that you think should, go whine on Borderhouse, whatever you think is appropriate, but this "I'll take what I can get" attitude just makes you complicit in the exploitation of a minority group for the purposes of fleecing the group and its supporters and you should know that.

Most importantly, why does it matter when an e-man sticks his e-penis? Unless it's a hentai game, I do not give a fuck.

Note: I choose gay guys, but I mean it generally. Gay just feels... so right.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Yeah, never take anyone seriously who moderates their comments. Especially for "trolls".

Give me at least a little credit. (As much as you're willing to give for a faggot who needs to be smothered with a pillow.)

Whichever one of you posted on my blog either decided it would be awesome to post an identical comment six times total to the same post, or Blogger fucked up, in which case, mea culpa. I think that's a damn good reason to assume troll, especially since at the time I didn't realize I'd been linked here, and assumed the user in question wasn't actually going to come back, just "poop and leave". Usually I'm happy to engage people who disagree with me, including trolls. Just ask Hiver, who for some reason thought I was "stalking" him on Uservoice. :)

I've re-posted all the dude's comments, unedited, just in case.

probably drog/bryce/chefe.

I'm not any of those people, or Roguey, and have never posted on Codex before, only lurked. Basically, Commissar Draco is right. I'm hardly the only one with these opinions, whether you like my opinions or not.

Beyond that, I don't think you made this thread to debate with me, so I'll leave the rest alone. :)

NO WAIT. One of you did ask me an actual question. HELLO TULUSE. YOU HAVE ENCOURAGED ME, I AM NOW ENCOURAGED.

Do you actually think Bioware games give a good representation of gay people? It seems to me it depicts them as individuals with psychological issues which can be easily exploited to get them into bed. To be fair, I think they depict straight people the same way, but I wouldn't call either one progressive.

thedeadlymoose, you can love somebody deep inside your heart and it doesn't matter who they are. If a lot of people love each other, the whirl will be a better place to live. heteros, homos, and trannies should all fight for the greater good and support a potentially good game, haaai?

Data4

Arcane
See, the way I see it, a person like Jaesun is a gay dude I could have a drink with. I mean, after the drink, I'd be like "Well, I have to head home", and he'd be all "Cool. Think I'm gonna go suck someone's dick.", and then I'd be all "Cool, man. Take it easy."

But this moose guy? Just some faggot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Adding gay people to a game JUST for the sake of adding Gay people to a game is absolute shit game design (see BioWare games).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From a recent Steam convo:

15:24 - Infinitron: here's a secret
15:24 - Infinitron: people don't really care how sexist the game is as long as the writing is good
15:25 - Infinitron: roguey's idol lesifoere likes the witcher(!)
15:25 - Infinitron: and ps:t of course is a story about a muscular immortal super-alpha male who attracts broken women to him despite being an ugly abusive bastard
15:26 - Infinitron: really, all this talk about sexism, it's just a proxy argument for "we want better writing!"
15:26 - Infinitron: I guess just asking for better writers would be elitist or something

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Because their people actually acknowledge the existence of queer people. I'll take what I can fucking get, man, I really will.

But why do you need this acknowledgement? Serious question, really. I don't know, most settings would "realistically" have homosexuality (and other things too, if you're gonna go for the "it's realistic so it should be in" approach), but is it necessary? Or really, any kind of references to sexuality, be them hetero or otherwise? Are they needed to create a good setting? How come we were just fine without any "this guy is straight, this guy is not" in videogames until after Bioware made it popular?
You're really putting way too much importance on these issues and that's why you get people hating you. Your comment of "I'll take what I can get" only reinforces that and it's in the same vein as the "this is not an RPG if it doesn't have multisexual romances" claims I've seen.

thedeadlymoose, you can love somebody deep inside your heart and it doesn't matter who they are. If a lot of people love each other, the whirl will be a better place to live. heteros, homos, and trannies should all fight for the greater good and support a potentially good game, haaai?

why you must always do this psychological stuff. You're tearing me apart

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinitron, the same is true in reverse. People don't care if gays or bisexuals or trannies are in something if the writing is good. Fallout 2 has bi-sexual characters. New Vegas has gays and bi-sexuals. The Codex loves these games by and large.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I will note that Bioware is not the only company including gay characters. There is even another RPG company which is doing it. They don't toot their own horn about it so loudly. They also feature better writing, rpg mechanics, and generally are just better at everything except bug fixing. I suggest if you want to fanboy an RPG company which includes gay and bi-sexual characters in their games you switch to Obsidian.

Lancehead

Liturgist

15:26 - Infinitron: really, all this talk about sexism, it's just a proxy argument for "we want better writing!"
Exactly how I feel. Or at least how I feel the issues regarding character portrayals in games should be addressed, instead of trying to make videogames meet some standards of social justice.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

15:24 - Infinitron: people don't really care how sexist the game is as long as the writing is good
15:25 - Infinitron: and ps:t of course is a story about a muscular immortal super-alpha male who attracts broken women to him despite being an ugly abusive bastard
15:26 - Infinitron: I guess just asking for better writers would be elitist or something

You are so wrong. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of gamers who will squeal and squirm if you have a video game that has negative events happening to women/gays, who couldn't give 2 shits if you wrote a good story or not. These people care about politics, THATS IT.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are so wrong. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of gamers who will squeal and squirm if you have a video game that has negative events happening to women, who couldn't give 2 shits if you wrote a good story or not. These people care about politics, THATS IT.

Sure, there are some. But most of them are actually too stupid to notice it if the writing is good enough. Go and ask some of those people if PS:T has chauvinistic elements like what I described. Even if they acknowledge it, they won't care, because it's "mature", "fresh" and "thoughtful".

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Exactly how I feel. Or at least how I feel the issues regarding character portrayals in games should be addressed, instead of trying to make videogames meet some standards of social justice.
Really? Witcher gets slammed because of his sexism, while Bioware games gets praise with his terrible writing because faggots.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
You are so wrong. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of gamers who will squeal and squirm if you have a video game that has negative events happening to women, who couldn't give 2 shits if you wrote a good story or not. These people care about politics, THATS IT.

Sure, there are some. But most of them are actually too stupid to notice it if the writing is good enough. Go and ask some of those people if PS:T has chauvinistic elements like what I described. Even if they acknowledge it, they won't care, because it's "mature", "fresh" and "thoughtful".
Roguey.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Really? Witcher gets slammed because of his sexism, while Bioware games gets praise with his terrible writing because faggots.

Thank you. This is a PERFECT example of what I said earlier. Witcher was attacked by faggot gamers all over because it wasn't left-wing enough and it showed women outside of the feminist utopian fantasy.

Lancehead

Liturgist

Like I said, good writing is how it should be addressed/judged, at least.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane

You are so wrong. Believe it or not, there is a significant amount of gamers who will squeal and squirm if you have a video game that has negative events happening to women/gays, who couldn't give 2 shits if you wrote a good story or not. These people care about politics, THATS IT.

plenty of biodrones said they refuse to play the witcher because "it doesn't recognize that female gamers exist" or some such nonsense. womyn and man-feminists cannot into good writing to begin with. :troll:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Yup, they outright ignore the stwong female chars just because there is some sex cards, or big boobs in TW2

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thank you. This is a PERFECT example of what I said earlier. Witcher was attacked by faggot gamers all over because it wasn't left-wing enough and it showed women outside of the feminist utopian fantasy.

Can you imagine the apoplexies these people would have if they were to read any of Robert Howard's Conan stories? :lol:

Drakron

Arcane
... New Vegas has gays and bi-sexuals ...

They werent the focus, or rather their sexuality wasnt their focus.

And that is why we talk about how they got it right, Veronica entire character was based on something besides she was a lesbian and the fact she was was simply part of the character that was brought up about two or three times without being that relevant, it could have been written out or replaced and would not change the character.

It also helped neither of them were "romantic options", sure there were other characters that were gay or bi but really ... compare New Vegas with BioWarian dating sim.

Having token gay for the sake of it ... that is wrong.

Cromwell

Arcane
"Between you, me, and the Internet?" I agree with you to some extent. (I think straight-girl Jack was the worst in ME2. Just... God.) .

You talk shit about my waifu again boy and you're in for some ass kickin!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom