Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BureiBuru: Continyam Shihto Ekustendo

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

So it's out now in Europe as well. Though it's really of major interest only to storyfags and weirdoes who play fighting games online, but I'm a giant storyfag and a fan of the series by now so what am I gonna do?

Anyway, played through the remake of the Calamity Trigger story yesterday, it's around ~6 hours long, but doesn't feature branching paths. Note that vast majority of that is dialogue. Still, it all pays off really. I care way more about any member of the roster of BlazBlue (including supporting characters) than any other fighting game roster, since the characters have, well, actual character and stuff happening to them (+ inter-connectedness). It's not like goddamn Tekken or Street Fighter, which struggle to give anything beyond surface paint to their rosters.

But still, while it has hands-down the most extensive amount of single-player content among fighting games, it's still also the best around today overall when you account for all things, even if King of Fighters XIII had more characters and better tournament gameplay.

My personal favourite aspect though is the fact that despite the game probably having a lower budget than just the hype budget of a Capcom fighting game, it still has way superior graphics and cutscenes.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Vaarna_Aarne said:
My personal favourite aspect though is the fact that despite the game probably having a lower budget than just the hype budget of a Capcom fighting game, it still has way superior graphics and cutscenes.

Street Fighter III still had the best graphics out of all the SF games.

Also you're only saying that because you love yourself some slender animu shit and SF is too bara for you.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I enjoy BlazBlue for the story unironically. Of course, I am absolute shit at all fighting games except, tragically, Soul Calibur.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Blazblue is fucking awesome. Loved the new story content in this update(Relius ftw) and am happily grinding for gallery unlocks and trophies now. :thumbsup:

Vaarna_Aarne

No Haba, no PC.

Vaarna_Aarne said:

Street Fighter III still had the best graphics out of all the SF games.

Also you're only saying that because you love yourself some slender animu shit and SF is too bara for you.
Nah, Street Fighter roster has classic art design, which is why they are classic characters. The problem is that there's no meat on dem bones, metaphorically. Namco games are worse because their art design is inferior as well, and their desperate attempts at putting character into their characters fall flat on their face.

The point I'm going for is that there's hardly any personality in Ryu. By contrast, Ragna (hell, ANY character in BlazBlue) has a shitload of dialogue and story establishing who they are, what they're like, and what's their role in the story. Hell, even the joke character of the game, Bang Shishigami, is treated seriously on several occasions. And of course, I know exactly where the next game is going to pick up and can look forward to it.

And I agree, Street Fighter III looks way better than SFIV. The only problem it had was that most of the roster was shit (something that never occurred to Capcom).

Also, Relius is undisputed "Worst. Dad. Ever." character. Still, Terumi is much more of an asshole, which makes him one of the best fighting game bosses, since it feels so damn good when you finally get to not only fight him on equal terms (= ass-whooping of the century for him) but he gets his ass handed to him on a plate in the story as well.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Awww fuck... Calamity Trigger is the only one that got properly released on PC, or...?

I guess it is back to Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code (PUUUH) for me.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's already been revealed all Codexers secretly own a console and watch anime. No point pretending you need a PC version Haba!

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The point I'm going for is that there's hardly any personality in Ryu. By contrast, Ragna (hell, ANY character in BlazBlue) has a shitload of dialogue and story establishing who they are, what they're like, and what's their role in the story. Hell, even the joke character of the game, Bang Shishigami, is treated seriously on several occasions. And of course, I know exactly where the next game is going to pick up and can look forward to it.

This reminds me of a post I made on BSN where I compared the story of Blazblue with Mass Effect.

Since we're on the subject of writing,one of the most embarrassing things about Bioware and it's alleged "great writing" is that a fighting game developer like Arc System Works has proven to be more capable at planning out a more cohesive story with their Blazblue series than they have with ME.

Here's an example,

Blazblue 1's ending: Establishes Hazama/Terumi as the main antagonist of the next game with Tsubaki(another future playable character) as his subordinate tasked with assassinating members of the NOL(the organization they both work for) who happen to also be her friends.

Blazblue 2: Low and behold Hazama/Terumi is the main antagonist of the game and Tsubaki is out attempting the assassinations.

Now let's compare this to Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 1 ending: Establishes that the council and/or Udina/Anderson recognize the Reaper threat and are preparing for war.

Mass Effect 2: Council and Udina go full retard with "ah yes reapers" and now Shepard is out fighting a new enemy that has never been mentioned before and is working with a near-nonexistent developed irrelevant side quest faction from the first game.......what the?

Another amusing thing is that Blazblue's characters have far more dialogue than Shepard's squadmates do with each other. Yes, a fighting game excels at character interaction over an "RPG" that's sold on having an in-depth story.

Given all this I'd say Bioware's writing ability is not overrated but rather a farce perpetuated by it's drone fans who want to believe their precious series is anything more than 1930s pulp grade fluff at best.

-----------------------------------------

Also, Relius is undisputed "Worst. Dad. Ever." character. Still, Terumi is much more of an asshole, which makes him one of the best fighting game bosses, since it feels so damn good when you finally get to not only fight him on equal terms (= ass-whooping of the century for him) but he gets his ass handed to him on a plate in the story as well.

Relius is a great man. I loved the scene where he mindrapes Squirrel Hooker.

BBCSEX_Makoto_Scene.png

Random

Arcane
Patron
Relius deserves everything that's coming to him by way of Carl and Nirvana.

Vaarna_Aarne

This reminds me of a post I made on BSN where I compared the story of Blazblue with Mass Effect.

Since we're on the subject of writing,one of the most embarrassing things about Bioware and it's alleged "great writing" is that a fighting game developer like Arc System Works has proven to be more capable at planning out a more cohesive story with their Blazblue series than they have with ME.

Here's an example,

Blazblue 1's ending: Establishes Hazama/Terumi as the main antagonist of the next game with Tsubaki(another future playable character) as his subordinate tasked with assassinating members of the NOL(the organization they both work for) who happen to also be her friends.

Blazblue 2: Low and behold Hazama/Terumi is the main antagonist of the game and Tsubaki is out attempting the assassinations.

Now let's compare this to Mass Effect.

Mass Effect 1 ending: Establishes that the council and/or Udina/Anderson recognize the Reaper threat and are preparing for war.

Mass Effect 2: Council and Udina go full retard with "ah yes reapers" and now Shepard is out fighting a new enemy that has never been mentioned before and is working with a near-nonexistent developed irrelevant side quest faction from the first game.......what the?

Another amusing thing is that Blazblue's characters have far more dialogue than Shepard's squadmates do with each other. Yes, a fighting game excels at character interaction over an "RPG" that's sold on having an in-depth story.

Given all this I'd say Bioware's writing ability is not overrated but rather a farce perpetuated by it's drone fans who want to believe their precious series is anything more than 1930s pulp grade fluff at best.

-----------------------------------------

Relius is a great man. I loved the scene where he mindrapes Squirrel Hooker.

BBCSEX_Makoto_Scene.png
There's also the fact that by the time you can play the True Ending in Continuum Shift, you're desperate to see Hazama/Terumi get his ass kicked. At that point he (and his buddy Relius) had been total bastards and fucked up life for just about every character in the game, disabled everyone who could fight them, AND mind-fucked just about every nice person (usually also a cute girl, thus arousing butthurt in every Ally of Justice) in the story. So when Ragna gets his elevent hour superpower you are overjoyed of the fact that NOW the asshole is getting what's coming to him. Quite different from Dragon Age where you essentially get: "Yawn, so I kill this dragon? 'kay, nothing better to do I guess."

In terms of the sequel, it's also good that we know what's going to happen next due to the ending: Tsubaki has gone completely nuts and is fully one of the bad guys now, Litchi has willingly joined up with Terumi/Relius/Saya trio (no doubt leading to a mighty reaction from Bang and Carl-domoooooo), Arakune is captured by Relius, Jin's no longer batshit insane and has mastered Yukiyanesa, the good guys are most likely actively working with Sector Seven now, Ragna's got no normal arms left but can use BlazBlue without interference now, Jubei is probably going to appear as a playable character, Rachel is still an unbelievable tsundere towards Ragna (and vice versa), Nago is a flaming homo, Rachel was depowered by Takamagahara and even so much weaker than she claimed, Terumi and Relius have another secret weapon getting ready, Carl is no longer batshit insane thanks to Litchi and Bang, Makoto was working for Sector Seven all along, the timeloop has been completely broken when Terumi disabled Takamatagahara and Saya destroyed the Master Unit, and there's something afoot in the ruins of Ikaruga and everyone is going there...

Shit mang, there's so much more going on in a FIGHTING GAME than in any Bioware game ever!

You got any examples of Biodrone butthurt after your post btw?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
There's also the fact that by the time you can play the True Ending in Continuum Shift, you're desperate to see Hazama/Terumi get his ass kicked. At that point he (and his buddy Relius) had been total bastards and fucked up life for just about every character in the game, disabled everyone who could fight them, AND mind-fucked just about every nice person (usually also a cute girl, thus arousing butthurt in every Ally of Justice) in the story. So when Ragna gets his elevent hour superpower you are overjoyed of the fact that NOW the asshole is getting what's coming to him. Quite different from Dragon Age where you essentially get: "Yawn, so I kill this dragon? 'kay, nothing better to do I guess."

It was nice to whoop Terumi's ass after he killed Lambda(which actually made me sad as she's my "main") and it was indeed better than the Archdemon fight from DA:O. The much hyped mastermind of the darkspawn turning out to be a dragon and... that's it was one of the biggest disappointments with that POS of a story.

In terms of the sequel, it's also good that we know what's going to happen next due to the ending: Tsubaki has gone completely nuts and is fully one of the bad guys now, Litchi has willingly joined up with Terumi/Relius/Saya trio (no doubt leading to a mighty reaction from Bang and Carl-domoooooo), Arakune is captured by Relius, Jin's no longer batshit insane and has mastered Yukiyanesa, the good guys are most likely actively working with Sector Seven now, Ragna's got no normal arms left but can use BlazBlue without interference now, Jubei is probably going to appear as a playable character, Rachel is still an unbelievable tsundere towards Ragna (and vice versa), Nago is a flaming homo, Rachel was depowered by Takamagahara and even so much weaker than she claimed, Terumi and Relius have another secret weapon getting ready, Carl is no longer batshit insane thanks to Litchi and Bang, Makoto was working for Sector Seven all along, the timeloop has been completely broken when Terumi disabled Takamatagahara and Saya destroyed the Master Unit, and there's something afoot in the ruins of Ikaruga and everyone is going there...

I'm looking forward to seeing Kokonoe as a playable character(Valk's joke path teases it),as well as Saya(will be the main boss of the third one I presume).

Shit mang, there's so much more going on in a FIGHTING GAME than in any Bioware game ever!

You got any examples of Biodrone butthurt after your post btw?

I didn't receive much response in the thread I posed it in(the previous TIM one which was closed soon after due to heplergate comments) but in a previous thread where I made the comparison in I received the usual Biodrone mental gymnastics of "Bioware not planning anything makes it more fun and exciting!" and "They couldn't plan because of player choices!".

:love: Arc System Works

:x Bioware

Vaarna_Aarne

They also tease at playable Kokonoe in one of the new story paths, where she curbstomps a piece of the Black Beast AND Relius. You know, since she's got Infinite Gravity power from her mother's side along with being able to use REAL magic.

Valk's joke path was awesome. Rachel is tsundere to Ragna even when she sleeps, and Valkenhayn has a special technique for keeping her asleep by counting butlers jumping over a hedge. Oh yea, and the yaoi joke about Jin (the one with Ragna apparently having experience on Jin sneaking up on him and pinching his ass). Still, best joke with that crew so far was in one of the Teach Me Miss Litchi! episodes where Nago and Gii explain "we're on a mission to spy on Princess' boyfriend!"

EDIT: Another thing with Terumi fight was that we'd had to deal with his bullshit the whole game before that, and fight his Unlimited version with just about everyone. And now we get a eleventh hour superpower activation cutscene that is actually GOOD stuff, AND we get to fight him on equal terms at last with Ragna also in Unlimited mode.

They actually tried to pull a similar thing in Soul Calibur 5, with the protagonist getting a cutscene power-up half-way through the crappy story... Except in-game he's like ten times weaker with his new shitty moveset. Lesson that won't be learned: Do not try something if you have no goddamn idea about what you're doing.

EDIT2: Actually, one of the most pleasant new steps taken in KoF XIII was that SNK had been taking notes of what ArcSys had been doing with BlazBlue... Though it was nowhere near as good, it did set the stage for improvement. Though it did have some bizarre things to it due to strained production values, like the fact the single most plot important good guy in the story was not only an NPC (Adelheid was cut from the roster at an early point, but in the story he still discovers that there's something fishy going on, alerts Heidern and the others about shit going down, apparently fights Botan, Rose and several other members of the bad guys, and saves his sister), and we also didn't get to see his big fight at all, just the aftermath of it.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I figure they'll make Kokonoe the de-facto playable "Nine" in the next one(with some tech attacks) to finish off adding the remaining six heroes to the roster(along with Jubei) but who knows, they might make the real Nine playable since they implied Phantom has some free will left in Valk's bad ending.

Makoto and Relius' joke paths were my faves of the new ones btw. :thumbsup:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Really, is there any joke path better than Jin's Island? His brother complex is hilarious shit.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This is pretty much what all the jfaggotry looks like to me.

It's just that some of it features tasteful rape/cannibalism and pigeons with cleavers. Which makes it weird enough to be enjoyable in short bursts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom