Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Building fantasy cultures underuses scientific knowledge - Discuss

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by AwesomeButton, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Serusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Serus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    But why are you content with games being made with only the "uninformed" players in mind ?

^ Top  
  2. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    What games?

Uninformed about what?

^ Top  
  3. Neanderthalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Thank you, have to admit it was pretty amazing, but thats just modest old me. I've got a great interest in bits, they serve to mark out most good games i've found, the attention to detail, the little flourishes, the hidden sub plots, the glorious chance to get lost and wander where Dragons be, difficult to find content, all good bits in my book.

^ Top  
  4. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Ok, so which games that you've played don't have enough of that? And what's any of that got to do with being more anthropological in creature culture?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Neanderthalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Most on em, few rare gems i've mostly already mentioned.

^ Top  
  6. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Well, you mentioned "usual tired old ARPG shit". That's quite specific and barely covers "most" RPGs and is most likely the sub-division of the genre where you wouldn't expect all of that anyway, hence the moniker of "action"...

^ Top  
  7. Serusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Serus
    Parrots:
    You tell me. You said it. You wrote about "uninformed players". So you don't even know what you are talking about yourself ? Why i am not surprised. :roll:
    You said that most games* being made are good enough for - again - "uninformed" (read = retarded and/or without education) players. So the question is - why does it matter ? Why do you care about those kind of players ? Why aren't You questioning if games for "informed" players are being made instead ? And why not.

* CRPGs remember ? Pay attention this time, it's the genre in question. I won't help you every time a word is used with a meaning that is obvious from the context.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    That was AwesomeButton who wrote about that, I'd rate you Participation Award but I've had that rating removed from my options for reasons unknown. So I'll just go with the good old fashioned :retarded:

^ Top  
  9. Serusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Serus
    Parrots:
    I am not interested in AwesomeButton opinion on the subject but in Yours. I asked You what You meant by using those words in Your post. Your stance in this thread was - as i understand it - consistently that all this world building using actual knowledge and education is bullshit and unnecessary and CRPGs don't need it. Or did i misunderstood You this whole time ? If i did then please try to make one non-"hurr durr i am an idiot" answer and help me with my confusion about it. Or is it too much to ask ? Pretty please.

^ Top  
  10. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Are you a spastic?

^ Top  
  11. Serusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Serus
    Parrots:
    What - what are you quoting. Where did i say this ? Instead of quoting something i haven't said - please could you make a real answer. You just made another "hurr, durr, me be idiot" one. Despite me specifically politely asking you not to.

^ Top  
  12. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    I've already answered that question. And without you giving examples of games that don't meet your world building criteria I have nothing to address. I have never said world building is unimportant or not needed, what people have to do, and what I'm saying, is that "what's actually wrong with current world building standards?" You might think a game is 'better' because you think XYZ sub-culture within the game is supposedly 'more fleshed out', but this is utterly subjective. Further, the whole point of fantasy is to get away from cultures that represent too much realism, so overstating a lack of something that's both subjective and largely irrelevant is ludicrous. But the conversations start when you mention some games, and if your only example is some AAA well known garbage-tier RPG then that hardly represents an 'issue' within the whole genre.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    Yes, superb editing there, shame I caught you in the act, eh...

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Serusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Serus
    Parrots:
    Not "superb editing" - i corrected my mistake instantly and since it didn't show as "last edited" under my post i thought it wasn't seen by anyone. Most of the time it works like that unless someone is REALLY quick to read and answer. Still, sorry about that - ok ?
    Besides, that doesn't explain why you concentrated on my irrelevant nitpick instead of answering the question at that time. Which - you finally did now, so kudos to you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButtongender: ⚧ Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For the record, I too don't know what IncendiaryDevice's argument is. Every time he looks like he is trying to make an argument, he goes off on some tangent, and the argument gets lost in the eloquent shitposting and personal insults.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    I just want a PC RPG set in Tekumel

thank you

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Freddiegender: ⚧ Learned

Freddie
    Parrots:
    I agree in principle, but I wouldn't shy away also using experts if budget allows it. I would like to return to something I wrote early in thread. I think it would be beneficial if management commits to this too and there are positions where just 'excel guy' may not be enough. If for nothing else, we may be talking quite different cultures here and I don't know, just thinking out loud here. Going in environment where there are people whom culture is influenced a lot by fantasy books, comics, other games, it might be tempting to give 45 min presentation which would be very easy going, very good experience, only that intellectual substance would be like 5 minutes.

And there is other side of the coin too. Like we had static game worlds in 80's. Not there's been computers for quite a long time, yet, even minor improvements has happened, for me it still looks like settings are mostly static. Makes one wonder why is that?

^ Top  
  18. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    Knowing publishers, they will listen to the presentations and proceed to ignore them.

^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Zed Duke of Banvillegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    Considering every tabletop version of Tékumel sold poorly, it's not surprising that no-one ever attempted a CRPG Empire of the Petal Throne. The combination of influences from Pre-Columbian Central America, ancient Egypt, and the Indian subcontinent are simply too alien to the foundations of D&D in classical mythology, medieval legends, faery tales, and the fantasy literature derived from them.

^ Top  
  20. JarlFrankgender: ⚧ I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Morrowind sold really well though despite being alien as fuck.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    I really dont think unusual settings are off-putting with regards to sales, particularly long-term sales, just off-putting to excessive sales, the 10million sales target, but even then thats not a factual position to take, its just one thats assumed by overly paraniod number crunchers. Unusual settings have made lots of people wealthy over the years.

^ Top  
  22. Freddiegender: ⚧ Learned

Freddie
    Parrots:
    Few things discussed in this topic earlier.

Bar fights
    How does bar fight differ from other fights? What people expect from bar fights.

This is something fellow DM once told me from one of his P'nP campaign.

So his group of adventurers had completed some minor quests. They were celebrating their victories and getting drunk in some tavern. For a reason or another there is a provocation or something, fight happens.
    At some point one of the players decided to take a chair and hits one of the villagers with it, villager drops to the floor. Pretty soon there is silence. Party's cleric goes to check the situation, villager is dead, side of his head fractured. There is nothing he can do, small village, no priest there who could help either. I don't recall for sure what happened next, villagers starting to panic, yells outside, some of villagers trying to gather a mob and reach for whoever was the law there, maybe but anyway party realises that they better leave, fast and so they escaped to the night.

So what happened in the fight. When guy took the chair as weapon, it became in AD&D terms short club. So successful attack was 1d4 for damage and +1 or 2 to damage from characters strenght. Villager might have survived from it (2-6 damage), but they had house rule to use (unofficial) critical tables if attack roll was natural 20 (on d20) so after the attack roll DM rolled for critical, which was pretty high, x2 or x3 for damage. So even if damage roll were been just 1+(1-2), it became x2 or x3. In this case much more. NPC's like villagers or well, general folks in AD&D had 1d6 or 1d8 hitpoints.

Guy who told me this, said that it was quite interesting turn. Party of beginning adventurers were now fugitives, wanted for murder wondering how to deal with the situation. I never get to know how their campaign ended, but it was interesting situation indeed. I hope it also tells something about freedom of pnp.

There is also something regarding magic. This was just a rumour that was circulating back in the day. Guys were starting to play AD&D Ravenloft. DM had teleported mid to high level party there. So he describes surroundings and players get interested about the castle. One player starts to get very interested, pesters DM from lot of questions about the surroundings and people are start asking if we could start getting inside or something.
    No, says the player whom had asked lot of questions, whom happened to be a mage. We should rest, I need to memorise my spells.

So they do, and mage says, we should take another look at the cliff. So they do that and then he tells the DM and party, that he is going to drop the castle to the sea. So everyone is like that's silly. So he had rock to mud spells and quite some other stuff memorised. DM says, cliff is too solid, this is silly. Player crafts the note, gives it to DM, it's math about how much he can convert rock to mud. Guys math appears solid. So game sessions ends. DM says he get back to it, then nobody sees him for moths.

It was a rumour, but there were that sort of players. It's not something that happened because of computer games and I would actually be surprised if nobody didn't tried something like that.

To sum this up:
    - Some scenarios in cRPG's in comparison to pnp might be difficult to achieve. For bar fights, contextual ruleset for brawling could be used in theory. However, then brawling should be available for every encounter. It's silly considering UI design. Same way people drawing weapons in tavern is quite difficult scenario too. How to solve this?
    - Freedom where players entire campaign changes because of one decision or even an accident is interesting but I don't see how to make it work on cRPG without making it shallow.
    - Spells, items or abilities that look pretty harmless can actually cause lot of trouble. I have mentioned Shadowrun games many times, I think their set was quite balanced, then I didn't paid that much attention.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. SophosTheWisegender: ⚧ Learned

SophosTheWise
    Parrots:
    I think these two posts illustrate this whole cultural battle very well.

I don't think either that everything has some political motive. But everything we do, how we act and what we say is an expresssion of internalized ideology. Everything is inherently ideological. Gamergate is a very nice example of that. Anti-gamergaters realised that a lot of the content in gaming opposes their political standpoint, so they are challenging this status quo. But the status quo is not apolitical since the status quo has been achieved through political means. Not wanting to change the status quo is, of course, not inherently bad, but it's also a political stance, even if you don't recognize it immediately This itself is even more proof that the status quo is some sort of political consensus. What many perceive as being political is changing the status quo and direct politics i.E. laws etc. This makes it difficult to talk about how ideology influences our culture, because subversiveness is a lot easier to spot, especially if you're status-quo-blind. It's interesting to see how some people on the Codex complain about the inclusiveness of Bioware RPGs as politically charged but idealize a game like Age of Decadence even though both have very distinct approaches to ideology. The latter glorifying distrust and a Hobbesian But it seems to some Codexers that only Bioware RPGs seem to be influenced by ideology.

Elves and dwarves are probably hated often in games because discrimination of race is an omnipresent occurence in human history. Western studios are bound to draw from themes from their own culture and history in some ways, because stuff doesn't just appear out of thin air. Wars, race politics and other conflicts simply were there as long as humans are on earth. And RPGs are always conflict scenarios. Most of those conflict scenarios are inherently political, see for instance Dragon Age: Origins. A power struggle, electing kings, animosities in face of greater adversities. If that's not politics I don't know what is. The only reason why it wasn't more political was that the Darkspawn are the most cliché enemy ever.

The viking thing is also easily explainable. Vikings are worshipped by conservatives because the romantiscised version of vikings in literature has always been that of manly men with beards, of women as mothers and homemakers, of easy conflicts (you die or you don't), of hero cults and so on. Vikings have always been a conservative favourite power fantasy. Now when, for example, there are suddenly more female warriors in a game about vikings, this counters the conservative interpretation of viking culture. To them, a traditional family structure is more important than other features of viking culture. Maybe leftists on the other hand just like the aesthetic of viking symbolism or the fact that vikings were an oppressed people in times of christianization. It's always a struggle of what's more important to your interpretation of the world, what's more ingrained into you ideology-wise. A culture is complex and you can draw vastly different conclusions. A leftist interpretation of a viking culture is just different from a rightwing interpretation. And no fictional interpretation will ever be close enough to reality to have a debate over what interpretation is more correct, since we weigh facts very differently.

Since fantasy settings are based on historical settings, it's a lot easier to explain prevalent conservative values with "historical accuracy" even though it's not really about accuracy. This is why I want to rebuke the claim that leftist entertainment is "devoid of complex imaginations". Leftist imaginations simply take place on a different level than the imaginations of a rightwinger. I'm not even saying there's one that's better than the other, inherently. Entertainment is, in one way or another, always a reflection of us. Building RPGs first and foremost aesthetics, and secondly needs, yearnings, hopes and emotions of our current time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM
    ^ Top  
  24. YES!gender: ⚧ Hi, I'm Roqua

YES!
    Parrots:
    I disagree completely with everything after your first paragraph, and partially with that.

Vikings are. Period. They are worshipped by conservatives. Where did you get this nonsense? I don;t know many conservatives but most of them are not Viking loving madmen. The fact you think this makes you either retarded or so brainwashed it literally makes me sad.

Vikings of various periods had specific cultures and mindsets. Any attempt to acrostically to impose modern morals on this historical culture is political. AoD was an attempt to create a more realistic culture based on history and common sense. How would things have been if x and y happened. Not how should things be if my politics ruled this make believe world. From what I've read Tolkien set out to create a rich mythology for his British culture which was mythologically poor compared to that of other cultures. Even though his age was filled with crazy racial issues, he still managed to create vast works without Elves and Dwarves being crushed under the boot heels of the Evil White Man.

Howard was a Southerner in a very racist time and his Conan works still paint a far less racist world. Cimmerians were barbarians but white. Picts the same but considered dark. Then there where the black countries, some worshipped Set, others were still civilized and filled with tougher people than the Mitra worshipping white pussies. And he used black in the most offensive way in sentences for modern sensibilities.

Since left-wingers are indoctrinated to believe skin color is super important and a super relevant issue, and that conservatives hate people of different skin color, you can't help but to impose your enlightened truths into anything made - the same as all left-wingers. For all the real conservatives I know, skin color isn't an issue. It isn't a big deal. It is like eye or hair color. Superficial nothing that means nothing and has no magic properties. All these little kids on this sight spewing racist gibberish and left-wingers. The will grow up unemployed, or underemployed, and nothing to society, and think the thoughts of retards and left-wingers about skin color and it's perceived importance.

Conservatives, real first world conservatives, believe in merit and culture. There are good and bad people and good and bad cultures. Bad cultures treat women as second class citizens and kill gays for being gay. Them not wanting people from bad cultures who do not accept the culture of their own country to move to their country isn't racist - it is normal. No sane person wants a person with savage views on pretty much everything to move to their land in great numbers. Anyone, of any skin color, who wants to bust their ass to achieve a dream, and accepts their new culture as correct, that women are equal, and no one should die over religious beliefs or gender preference, is welcome and expected to be mannerly and thankful. Or at least not huge pricks that whine and take and do shit to earn shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. SophosTheWisegender: ⚧ Learned

SophosTheWise
    Parrots:
    I'm not saying every conservative worships vikings. What I was trying to say is that a certain breed of conservative worships vikings because it's easy to see vikings as an embodiment of qualities and you deem virtuous and desireable. So certain aspects of viking culture get undoubtedly overexaggerated and romanticised. The same happened to Native Americans that are instrumentalised by certain eco-lefties.

I never said otherwise. Every interpretation of a world and culture is inherently ideological. Cultures are complex and that it's nearly impossible to weigh which things are important to a cultural representation and which things are not. Again, ideology is the determining factor. There are a lot of things wrong with the fictional representation of vikings. Yet most complaints come from the morals and gender department. You could complain about various other things too. The reason why these get singled out: ideology. It bothers people with conservative values to see something go against their values, even moreso if they concern things that they believed to be strongholds of their ideology. Same goes for leftists, I just don't have a good example. And vikings are really easy.

Common sense sounds so easy but try to define that.

I don't see ANY difference here. Especially because imagining "how things happen" is always a product of your ideology. You can't escape it, even if you think you do.

Though, in fairness, there is a lot of criticism surrounding the depiction of race in Tolkien's world. Some people don't take to kindly to the Easterners/Haradrim/and so on being inherently evil. Elves were an embodiment of the good, Dwarves are basically a direct port from nordic mythology.

I honestly can't comment too much on Conan because I haven't read enough of it.

Well, maybe you're brainwashed to think it's a non-issue? Maybe you just don't see it?

Come on.

But conservatives do exactly the same. Exactly the same. And it's okay! It's okay to portray fiction in whatever way you like. You will ALWAYS be subjected to criticism. But it's still fiction. I don't see whya Fantasy game with women and black people in there is so freaking bad so people throw a tantrum about it.

Wow, now you're completely off the rails. I mean what does this have to do with anything? I simply wanted to say that people of all political beliefs will have their fiction influenced by their ideologies.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)