Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Build or recruit a party?

Do you prefer to...

• Build your own party (5+) (Wizardry, ToEE, Realsm of Arkania, WL2

Votes: 66 42.9%
  • Build your own party (up to 4 but no more) (Dark Sun, Knights of the Chalice)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Mix of build and recruit (Storm of Zhephir(sp?) for NWN2, D:OS

Votes: 37 24.0%
  • Fully recruit a party (all the IE games, Drakensang 1 and 2, Kotors, Dragon Age, etc.

Votes: 44 28.6%

• Total voters

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I like both methods. I largely play games because I enjoy achieving mastery over systems, so whether I do that through party creation or careful management of pre existing characters makes little difference in the end; having both types just means I get the novelty of a different kind of system to exploit.

I will say when it comes to premade characters, I tend to prefer the more jrpg approach, where the characters in question are unique in ways that break symmetry, both with enemies and between party members. You can give characters abilities or traits that would be wildly unbalanced in a customized setup, because the dev can give the character the right flaws to balance things out. For example, you could make a character with really powerful regeneration abilities that would be overpowered on a front line fighter, but balance it by making him someone unlikely to be injured anyways like an archer, or preventing him from wearing armour so he is on the front line but is vulnerable to burst damage rather than attrition.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Build a party of up to 6, throw in a pair of recruitables. Between GB, MM3 and Wiz8, nothing could go wrong.
This. The important thing is that I build a true party. Then a few recruitable, and in particular temporary ones (Gold Box), why not...
Legend of Faerghail and WL2 propose a strong recruitable character at the beginning, that's an option for an open-world game, during your first playthrough you'll probably recruit him, but not nessecessarily during the further ones.

I prefer to have both types of games available.
This, if you mean both types of options in one game.
I think that he means the different options in different games. We don't want to play the same game forever.

The only problem for creating all the characters for a party in a game I play for a first time is that I just do not have any guarantee that the skill, for example "soldering" or "snuff filming" will be used at all in the game, or if it has any meaningful use in the game. Buck Rogers fucked with you nicely in this context if you did not read the manual.
That's a part of the fun to create a party which finally sucks. Playing a party which by chance is bad makes also a good experiment.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love to build my own party. I basically give every member a personality myself and do not care about recruited members. Also there's always something wrong about recruited members since they are never 100 % built the way I would build them ;)

Besides, building a party for hours is great fun imho

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Depends on the game. If NPCs have somewhat interesting interactions with other NPCs in quests, I may bring them along. If they haven't, I'd rather roll them myself.

But it's usually not until the second playthrough I'll know if NPCs have special interactions :(

mondblut

Arcane
Also there's always something wrong about recruited members since they are never 100 % built the way I would build them ;)

Dumb biowareans cannot into powergaming within their very own game system :smug:

One of these day, sometime far in the future, I'll give another try to the BGs. This time with no fake MP, only recruitables - but first, I'll wipe their character sheets and remake them into whatever characters I would have created. 18x6 dualclass kensai-mage Minsc, anyone?

kain30

Cipher
My choice is for the mix. I love creating a little party and then finding NPCs that want to join me.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
If the game is a Torment, recruitable companions are the way to go. If it's a ToEE, then full party creation is the only real option. Pre-made companions should always offer something more than just inane banter, which could be uncertainty of their loyalties ("DON'T TRUST THE SKULL") or moral dilemmas that arise when you're travelling with people that have their own agendas (like Good and Evil characters being at each other's throats in BG or leaving the party if you do something that they can't agree with). If the party exists just to kill stuff without worrying about it, then it's much more fun to create a full party from scratch.

Also, four sucks as a party size as it usually leads to all parties being pretty much the same. Six or more is much better.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And i like, when joinable characters offers something new to created party. Races, like dolls in Elminage or classes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This, if you mean both types of options in one game.

The only problem for creating all the characters for a party in a game I play for a first time is that I just do not have any guarantee that the skill, for example "soldering" or "snuff filming" will be used at all in the game, or if it has any meaningful use in the game. Buck Rogers fucked with you nicely in this context if you did not read the manual.

I didn't mean both types of options in one game, but you have a good point.
In games where you need to have played the game to know which skills are useful, pregens are a time saver.

Crichton

Prophet
I vastly prefer to build my own party; games with worthwhile traveling companions (Arcanum, Mask of the Betrayer, Planescape:Torment, Shadowrun Dragonfall) are quite rare so most of the time you get stuck with Jahira bitching about balance or Durance scratching his balls. However, I think the perfect balance (ha!) might be the Pillars of Eternity system where you can do one playthrough with a bunch of noisy NPCs to see how they interact with things and then replace them with cruel and efficient robots for subsequent playthroughs.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think that he means the different options in different games. We don't want to play the same game forever.

That's a part of the fun to create a party which finally sucks. Playing a party which by chance is bad makes also a good experiment.

You are certainly not wrong, but the older I get the more I tend to avoid these "good experiments". Either I really have less time to play, or then the love for hardcore RPG's in me is leaking out somehow - probably a result of the worst years of decline when I did not expect much from games with RPG on the cover.

pippin

I like it when you can create your characters but still have a few slots for hiring npcs.

Tripicus

Augur
I like both, but prefer hireable NPCs as it's more like managing a team. You deal with the crap from an NPC, and then you get the satisfaction of canning them once you come across someone else you prefer.

Kind of like joy you get from replacing old equipment with the new you gain through the game, except it's a character.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I like finding new team members (IE games) since it permits you to interact with them and their story line. Of course D:OS had the chance to interact with the created members also, but the interaction was utter shit so it doesn't count. Created party can be useful to create a sense of ''I'm an adventurer'' much like single-PC game can do it. I like both but I prefer the richness of NPCs over PC-based party.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well designed companions with a good reason for being in the party and providing lulz > a set of mumbers that go up > poorly designed/annoying companions made by designers with a social or political agenda, or to provide romance.

Really depends on how well the 'recruit a party' is done. For me, that can be the best option, so long as it actually feels like you're putting together a crew. There needs to be variation in capabilities, alignments and goals - not just personalities. The main problem, for example, with DA:O 'recruit a party' for me was that all the party members were interchangeable, and it really didn't matter what combination of characters or classes you had.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I voted build your own party, mainly because recruiting often ends up with limited character choices which can make more unorthodox parties impossible, specially if the companions have a lot of writing depth. That's p. much the only problem, since even with recruiting dudes nothing stops it from allowing you to set all their stats.

I don't really care much about numbers, people obsess with having 6+ parties because most games have banal, shit, boring combat mechanics. Of course if half your party is condemned to (A)ttack, (B)lock and (M)ove you better have plenty of dudes to have a semblance of tactics. That said, I think bigger parties tend to be better because they allow for more variety in roster and gives the developer more freedom to design encounters and add more lethal mechanics.

Small parties are specially a problem with D&D-like games, with 4 dudes for instance, you're condemned to having a fighter to frontline, a thief to deal with traps and locks, and mage for control and aoe, and a cleric for support. So you're basically left with a cookie-cutter party, it can perhaps be salvaged a bit with multiclassing if it's supported but it's still not ideal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom