Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bugs and issues (spoilers)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You are *wrong*.
Ok. I don't usually obsessively reload to explore all options but go with the flow instead. Had I known the option I picked meant "your questline ends here, r00fles" I would've picked the other one.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You are *wrong*.
Ok. I don't usually obsessively reload to explore all options but go with the flow instead. Had I known the option I picked meant "your questline ends here, r00fles" I would've picked the other one.
You know that choices matter in the game, so why did you assume that this one doesn't? You mentioned it casually - "then you kill the assassins (or not)" - as if it's the same thing and not killing the assassins and letting them do what they came here for is exactly the same as killing them.

Throughout the game there are numerous options to betray your guild and side with another. Save Gaelius (who is presented as the enemy of your House from day one) and join his House (or walk away if you're done with being a praetor). Let him die, which weakens his House, and use the opportunity to do even more damage. The options are hardly obscure and mysterious.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Throughout the game there are numerous options to betray your guild and side with another.
This is correct and OK. Are there other scenarios where you leave your faction and end up nowhere (as in, don't join any other faction)?

Throughout the game there are numerous options to betray your guild and side with another. Save Gaelius (who is presented as the enemy of your House from day one) and join his House (or walk away if you're done with being a praetor).
The problem here is that I definitely did not anticipate that not joining Gaelius means that "I'm done with being a praetor". Can I join another faction at that point? Perhaps I missed that.

The options are hardly obscure and mysterious.
Perhaps not. As I see it I was just imprisoned by Gaelius and the text explained how I realized it would be best for Gaelius to let me disappear. Two evildoers show up and I assumed if I killed them, Gaelius might let me go. Which he did.
It's a bit of a stretch to say I only should have done that when I wanted to be done with being a Praetor. Also, in my opinion it's already debatable if it's in Daratan's interest at all to get Gaelius killed.

Which gets me thinking, what happens when you, as a thief, instead of killing Gaelius, warn him instead. Can you also decline to join him and end up without faction? (I did not try that, as a thief I said yes and joined Gaelius)

valcik

Arcane
Are there other scenarios where you leave your faction and end up nowhere (as in, don't join any other faction)?
Yup. Member of Imperial Guards who'd leave Maadoran before solving troubles with Ordu in Harran's Pass would find himself free to join any other guild in Ganezzar, for example.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Perhaps not. As I see it I was just imprisoned by Gaelius and the text explained how I realized it would be best for Gaelius to let me disappear. Two evildoers show up and I assumed if I killed them, Gaelius might let me go. Which he did.
Or you can let them kill Gaelius and then you don't have to worry about him ever again.

It's a bit of a stretch to say I only should have done that when I wanted to be done with being a Praetor.
The main reason to do it is to join Gaelius, but you may decide that you're done with being a praetor when he offers you a job.

Which gets me thinking, what happens when you, as a thief, instead of killing Gaelius, warn him instead. Can you also decline to join him and end up without faction? (I did not try that, as a thief I said yes and joined Gaelius)
Easily. If you betray your guild and decline an offer of employment, other guilds won't line up to offer you a job.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Throughout the game there are numerous options to betray your guild and side with another. Save Gaelius (who is presented as the enemy of your House from day one) and join his House (or walk away if you're done with being a praetor).
The problem here is that I definitely did not anticipate that not joining Gaelius means that "I'm done with being a praetor". Can I join another faction at that point? Perhaps I missed that.
You're not necessarily done with being a Daratan praetor at that point though. You're still assumed to be one when you visit Ganezzar/Meru at least.
There's more stuff to do too. It's hard, but you can convince Antidas to aid Gaelius in the siege (he won't help Meru).
I think that's the only thing you do with Antidas at that point though. Don't think you get to blow up Al-Akia when Maadoran is still intact.

BTW, you get a sizable amount of SP for saving Gaelius. Not sure if it's as much as the questline when you don't, but still something like 40-50 with good int.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You're not necessarily done with being a Daratan praetor at that point though. You're still assumed to be one when you visit Ganezzar/Meru at least. There's more stuff to do too. It's hard, but you can convince Antidas to aid Gaelius in the siege (he won't help Meru).
I think that's the only thing you do with Antidas at that point though. Don't think you get to blow up Al-Akia when Maadoran is still intact.

And you can convince Antidas to aid Meru. If you are a mercenary that solved the conflict between IG and Antidas in a pacific way. You will need to convince Carrinas to help Meru. Antidas will fall in line. It’s the “First Sword” achievement.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
You're not necessarily done with being a Daratan praetor at that point though. You're still assumed to be one when you visit Ganezzar/Meru at least. There's more stuff to do too. It's hard, but you can convince Antidas to aid Gaelius in the siege (he won't help Meru).

And you can convince Antidas to aid Meru. If you are a mercenary that solved the conflict between IG and Antidas in a pacific way. You will need to convince Carrinas to help Meru. Antidas will fall in line. It’s the “First Sword” achievement.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure you can't do that as a Praetor and was talking specifically about that case since that's what VoD was complaining about.
You can't let Carrinas make peace with Antidas and continue the Praetor quest-line. Not killing Carrinas means you're IG, regardless of whether you get him to make peace or declare Antidas emperor.

I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, because I am one of those idiots that obsessively reloads to check other possibilities. Then again, I also have a shitty memory, so might be wrong.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Men I'm getting constant freezes for no apparent (to me) reasons. Any ideas?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yeah it's kind of unplayable for me. I got like 2 hours of playing after deleting the prefs file, now when I load the game freezes whenever the inside part of any building is shown.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's not the best place to ask for help. You should ask the devs directly either on Steam or on Iron Tower forum (you need of course to be more specific than "it doesn't work", tell them at least what rig you have and what system you use, there are problems with shitty Win 10, i.e. spyware system). You could also check this thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/620713633839971865/#p1
For most people suggestions mentioned there fix the problem.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Radeon?

Anyway, try these:

- Set the lighting quality to Low or Lowest
- Launch AoD.exe instead of AoD64.exe (default)
- Run the game as admin and/or in Win7 compatibility mode.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Radeon?

Anyway, try these:

- Set the lighting quality to Low or Lowest
- Launch AoD.exe instead of AoD64.exe (default)
- Run the game as admin and/or in Win7 compatibility mode.
Yep Radeon.
I'll try the Lighting but theoretically my R9 390 should handle anything... Is it some Torque compatibility issue?
Also in Win10 btw

Vault Dweller

Developer
It was working fine until we upgraded the engine to the latest version which started causing freezing issues with Radeon. In general, setting the lighting quality to Low should fix it. Win 7 compatibility mode fixes all other issues.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
It was working fine until we upgraded the engine to the latest version which started causing freezing issues with Radeon. In general, setting the lighting quality to Low should fix it. Win 7 compatibility mode fixes all other issues.
Cool man, thanks, I'll check it out some time today :)

Old One

Arcane
I've got a Radeon HD 5770 and I had no trouble maxing out everything except the Highest setting for Lighting, which made performance poor generally and abysmal in certain underground areas. Flipping it to High made all the bad feelings go away.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I can't get the game to run at 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, and if I try and force the refresh rate with a program, the game always changes itself to 1680x1050 Window Mode and won't run in full screen. Any plans to fix this?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I can't get the game to run at 1920x1080 @ 120Hz, and if I try and force the refresh rate with a program, the game always changes itself to 1680x1050 Window Mode and won't run in full screen. Any plans to fix this?
There are strange hard-coded aspects of the rendering engine (hard-coded for licensed devs), and I bet this is one. You also can't play in a window, bordered or not, at your main monitor's desktop resolution. Best you can get is that damn 1680x1050 AR-stretched to your native res.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Vault Dweller

krelon: mr agent orange
krelon: why are npcs referencing stuff i didnt do
krelon: in age of decadence
Agent Orange: er
Agent Orange: what do u mean
krelon: i went to the big city
krelon: after the noob town
krelon: and spoke to a noble lady there who said she'd heard of me because i did some stuff in the noob town
krelon: that i didnt do
krelon: then later in the same conversation she asked me if i was prepared to accept her terms and work for her
krelon: but she hadnt told me what she wanted me to do
Agent Orange: huh
Agent Orange: you might have just done stuff in a particularly weird way
Agent Orange: which the scripting couldn't take into account
krelon: v0v
krelon: i just did the main stuff the story led me to in the starter town
Agent Orange: hmm
Agent Orange: what did she reference?
krelon: she said soemthing about me deposing someone or something
krelon: and the town going to shit
krelon: it was referenced in the summary screen when i left the town i think
krelon: about how i'd hired the assassins to kill the guards
krelon: which i totally didnt do
krelon: or didnt even start a quest to do
Agent Orange: hmm
Agent Orange: you should take a picture and explain your situation
Agent Orange: on the codex
Agent Orange: vaultdweller will respond
Agent Orange: what background did you take
krelon: grifter
krelon: i did trhe grifter stuff but it seems like its referencing things from a different background
Agent Orange: how did you go about ending the first major quest line?
krelon: i'm not sure how i can get a screenshot now
krelon: i paid the bandit dudes to kill the roman dudes
krelon: and agreed to work for the lord in the town
krelon: didnt interact with assassins or imperial guards at all

any idea what could have caused this?

Vault Dweller

Developer
any idea what could have caused this?
Clearly, the game thinks he's a merchant. The question is why. This issue has never been reported, so could be an old scripting error or something he did that mixed up the scripts. The only way to know for sure is to take a look at his save, preferably before talking to Lorenza. If we have the save and the exact steps, we can fix it in a few min.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like he might be a merchant, but didn't actually do any of the merchant quests in Teron.

Was able to sort of reproduce it in a few minutes with an old save by going directly to Maadoran without joining any guild, then joining the merchants from there. Lorenza initiates dialogue with something like "ah, the one who got Carrinas killed".
I guess it makes sense though, since when you join the Maadoran guild you're sort of impersonating whoever actually did the deed.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I guess it makes sense though, since when you join the Maadoran guild you're sort of impersonating whoever actually did the deed.
You don't even need to impersonate. She doesn't know anything about you although she pretends that she does. All she knows is that Strabos sent for whoever's arranged Carrinas' assassination, so when you show up she assumes it was you.

So if the guy in question never joined the merchants but had this conversation, it's a scripting error. If he did, it's a case of mistaken identity.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

There are strange hard-coded aspects of the rendering engine (hard-coded for licensed devs), and I bet this is one. You also can't play in a window, bordered or not, at your main monitor's desktop resolution. Best you can get is that damn 1680x1050 AR-stretched to your native res.

We implemented borderless windows in a previous update and should be possible to play "windowed" at your main monitor resolution.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It will let me, but not at 120Hz refresh rate, only 60. It's weird, even RefreshLock doesn't work, and that program works on pretty much every game I've tried it on.

Last edited:

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
You don't even need to impersonate.
Right right, I was unclear. I didn't mean any use of the skill, I just meant that the guy who offers you a job with the merchants says something like "we were expecting someone else from Teron, so if anyone asks you're that person".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom